Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
9.59%
10.96%
56.16%
10.96%
6.85%
2.74%
0%
1.37%
1.37%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 09-21-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Just got back from this, and I'd give it a B-.

Not bad, decent cast and acting, and it was always one of my favorite King books.

I guess the kids and their relationship didn't quite gel for me as well as the kids in other movies, particularly Super 8. And I do kind of agree with Mabuse that there was a little too much reliance on jump scares, both visually and with the over-the-top musical cues. I thought that was a little heavy-handed, and kind of a substitute for more accomplished filmmaking.

If you like the book and like the TV miniseries, I don't think you'd be too disappointed in this, but I thought it was kind of unmemorable.
Old 09-23-17, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
It made 35 million yesterday.

That scene and the one in the garage are my two favorites in the movie.
Old 10-01-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I finally got around to seeing this yesterday. It was IMO a decent movie but I'm pretty surprised that this is the number one horror movie of all time. As far as SK adaptions go it was a great movie, but I don't find the sped up shaky clown footage all that frightening. It was nice to see young kids actually played by young kids, I always hate it when a 20 something year old is playing a tween. some good acting from the kids but I didnt find myself all that scared...
Old 10-01-17, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, it was more creepy than scary.
Old 10-01-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sometimes the nostalgia factor can work against a film. This time, it worked for a film.

And the level of "scary" is always subjective.
Old 10-01-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the mini series the other day- it was pretty good, except for Harry Anderson yelling all his lines.
Old 10-01-17, 11:18 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

It made 35 million yesterday.

that would make for a sick avatar...
Old 10-01-17, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws View Post
Oh, great, more of that weird creepy quarry scene that served no purpose other than to sexualize the kids.

And I don't say that as some uptight asshole. That scene was pointless for so many reasons.
How was that scene creepy at all? It seemed exactly like something that would happen among 12 year old boys
Old 10-01-17, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by atrium View Post
How was that scene creepy at all? It seemed exactly like something that would happen among 12 year old boys
I’d certainly take more of said scene over the one from the book this film and the miniseries decided (so far anyway) to completely ignore. If you’ve read the book, you know exactly what scene I’m talking about.
Old 10-02-17, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally got to see this, and... yeah, I'm surprised this is getting the glowing reviews it's getting.

On the plus side, the movie is successfully creepy at times, the acting is good, the chemistry between the kids is believable, the 1980s setting is captured perfectly, and the cinematography is great.

My frustration lies mostly with the movie's "rules" concerning Pennywise. Is he basically all-powerful, or does he have limitations? Why are some kids able to get away from him simply by exiting whatever room Pennywise is currently occupying or by raising a garage door? Why, in the first scene, does he seem to be "stuck" in the sewer (requiring Georgie to reach into it), when other times he can appear wherever he wants (like Beverly's house) at will? Speaking of Beverly -- if he can simply show up and snatch her away immediately, why didn't he do this to all the kids? And if he truly gets his power from fear, why does he spend the entire first scene charming Georgie and trying to calm him down and gain his trust?

The inconsistency with Pennywise basically drained the movie of all tension for me. The "It" in It Follows had a more clear-cut set of rules, and knowing that "It" was always in slow pursuit of the protagonist lent that movie much more tension. I was never sure what Pennywise's motivations were or what he was up to at any given moment. Was he lying in wait for a child to approach him (like in the sewer or the burned house), or was he out pursuing the kids (Beverly's house, the garage)?

Also, the movie's humor fell completely flat for me (and the audience I was with). Not a single chuckle the entire movie. The one-liners came unrealistically fast. The way they were delivered made it obvious that the kid was throwing out his jokes faster than he could've possibly processed whatever he was actually responding to.

Good movie, but far from great. As far as recent Stephen King adaptations go, Gerald's Game is the best we've gotten this year. I got far more chills from that movie than from It.
Old 10-02-17, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix View Post
Finally got to see this, and... yeah, I'm surprised this is getting the glowing reviews it's getting.

On the plus side, the movie is successfully creepy at times, the acting is good, the chemistry between the kids is believable, the 1980s setting is captured perfectly, and the cinematography is great.

My frustration lies mostly with the movie's "rules" concerning Pennywise. Is he basically all-powerful, or does he have limitations? Why are some kids able to get away from him simply by exiting whatever room Pennywise is currently occupying or by raising a garage door? Why, in the first scene, does he seem to be "stuck" in the sewer (requiring Georgie to reach into it), when other times he can appear wherever he wants (like Beverly's house) at will? Speaking of Beverly -- if he can simply show up and snatch her away immediately, why didn't he do this to all the kids? And if he truly gets his power from fear, why does he spend the entire first scene charming Georgie and trying to calm him down and gain his trust?

The inconsistency with Pennywise basically drained the movie of all tension for me. The "It" in It Follows had a more clear-cut set of rules, and knowing that "It" was always in slow pursuit of the protagonist lent that movie much more tension. I was never sure what Pennywise's motivations were or what he was up to at any given moment. Was he lying in wait for a child to approach him (like in the sewer or the burned house), or was he out pursuing the kids (Beverly's house, the garage)?

Also, the movie's humor fell completely flat for me (and the audience I was with). Not a single chuckle the entire movie. The one-liners came unrealistically fast. The way they were delivered made it obvious that the kid was throwing out his jokes faster than he could've possibly processed whatever he was actually responding to.

Good movie, but far from great. As far as recent Stephen King adaptations go, Gerald's Game is the best we've gotten this year. I got far more chills from that movie than from It.

Because he likes to play with his food.
Old 10-02-17, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

On a side note -- It came in at #1 at the box office:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

American Made was in #2 and Kingsman #3.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 10-02-17 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-02-17, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Even my most generous guess didn't have it cracking $300m, craziness.
Old 10-02-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My frustration lies mostly with the movie's "rules" concerning Pennywise. Is he basically all-powerful, or does he have limitations? Why are some kids able to get away from him simply by exiting whatever room Pennywise is currently occupying or by raising a garage door?
My thoughts are that the "rules" are actually governed by the kids imaginations. "IT" is a manifestation of their fears and dealing with their shitty parents. The kids feared the unknown until they didn't... once they realized they needed to confront their fears, the rules became tighter and they had some power over Pennywise, their parents, their lives.
Old 10-02-17, 08:44 AM

Well the book does a better job at making IT more about how he’s infiltrated the town on more ways than just preying on children. Pennywise was using Georgie’s joy to make his turn to fear that more satisfying, and more “powerful” of a meal. It’s not like the book ever set a certain set of rules for IT either, except for his pattern of feeding and hibernating, with usually a massive sacrifice in the guise of a tragedy.
Old 10-02-17, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
My thoughts are that the "rules" are actually governed by the kids imaginations. "IT" is a manifestation of their fears and dealing with their shitty parents. The kids feared the unknown until they didn't... once they realized they needed to confront their fears, the rules became tighter aand they had some power over Pennywise, their parents, their lives.
100% with you here.
Old 10-02-17, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Absolutely loved this flick - right up there with the best, instant classic for me - had a smile on my face the whole way through.

Sure it has some mis-steps in it's final act but I can forgive them.

Also, there is a background scene I don't if most caught (well, It's not that hard to see at all but somewhat un-noticeable) but it was the creepiest scene for me - it was when new kids on the block was in the library and the lady that was talking to him goes back to where she came from - while he's going through the articles, she's just standing in the background, somewhat blurred with a grin on her face - that just creeped me the F out big time.

I may even go see this a second time at the theater - really loved how funny and scary it was - I honestly don't remember much from the book at all - thought I would but I didn't.
Old 10-02-17, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Even my most generous guess didn't have it cracking $300m, craziness.
$550 million worldwide.
Old 10-02-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Also, there is a background scene I don't if most caught (well, It's not that hard to see at all but somewhat un-noticeable) but it was the creepiest scene for me - it was when new kids on the block was in the library and the lady that was talking to him goes back to where she came from - while he's going through the articles, she's just standing in the background, somewhat blurred with a grin on her face - that just creeped me the F out big time.
I noticed this too and thought it was effective. I kept waiting for them to cut back to that angle to see if she was still there. Once they did, she was seated at her desk, working, which made me wonder if I'd actually seen what I thought I'd seen.
Old 10-02-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Everyone keeps talking about that scene in the library and I didn't catch it.
Old 10-02-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I noticed this too and thought it was effective. I kept waiting for them to cut back to that angle to see if she was still there. Once they did, she was seated at her desk, working, which made me wonder if I'd actually seen what I thought I'd seen.
Yes! I thought I was making something up in my head. The friend I went with was on their second viewing and still didn't catch it.
Old 10-02-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll agree with the rules and tension part, that's the first thing I thought of. Once he shows himself to be omnipresent, able to snatch them up or attack them in their own homes, it somehow became less creepy because he can do it at any time, with no restrictions.

Otherwise great cast, and I thought they spent just enough time with the kids to show how and why they bonded with the possible exception of Mike, who admitted that he was an outsider anyway. I get that people wanted the relationship to be more fleshed out, but as much as I liked the film I think people would complain that it dragged on if they put extra scenes of "kids being kids" in. And I doubt people really wanted a 1:1 direct adaptation of the book either, considering some of the more questionable content.

I'm not sure I'm really up for a "part 2" with a grown up, different cast, a completely different setting, and a different tone. This is one case where I'd almost have preferred it to be an HBO miniseries or something, so we could spend a bit more time with the current cast.
Old 10-02-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Everyone keeps talking about that scene in the library and I didn't catch it.
Watch it again!

Old 10-02-17, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And if he truly gets his power from fear, why does he spend the entire first scene charming Georgie and trying to calm him down and gain his trust?
He used love against him ... Georgie’s love of Bill and his fear of making Bill angry at him.
Old 10-02-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by silentbob007 View Post
He used love against him ... Georgie’s love of Bill and his fear of making Bill angry at him.
I'm a scary-ass, sewer-dwelling, sharp-toothed, wall-eyed, shape-shifting clown, but when it comes to instilling fear, my surest bet is an older brother's disapproval. Gotcha.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.