Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
9.59%
10.96%
56.16%
10.96%
6.85%
2.74%
0%
1.37%
1.37%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 09-15-17, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I'm not even sure what you are trying to say, but in the book he was very important. This movie turns him into a nobody.
Old 09-15-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In the film -- haven't read the book. In the film Ben was more important than Mike. Mike not being called the N-word in the film was no big thing since he was hardly the focus -- he came off as a secondary character.
Old 09-15-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ And that's why some of us are holding on to the book so much - because it is infinitely superior in terms of characterization. This film could have nailed it, because the mini-series did with less time (the kids' story takes up no more time than this film's running time).

When Mike is getting harassed by Bowers, racism comes into play because it immediately puts the Losers' Club in an us-vs-them scenario and you buy into Mike becoming a fast friend because, unlike Bowers and co, the kids aren't racist. Mike feels welcomed instantly. You lose that in this film, but then, as you said, they gave Mike nothing to do so it doesn't matter too much.
Old 09-15-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They way Mike was handled was one of only two* real gripes I had/have. Not only is he poorly developed but he joins the group too late. By the time he joins it's the climax of the film. There's noting tying him to the other kids or Georgie, so why the hell would he risk his life against a killer clown? Maybe he has that historical perspective like Ben(or in the book) and can tie Pennywise to his parents deaths, but it wasn't conveyed in the film.

*the other is not enough scenes of the kids just being kids. They needed more of a connection than just helping Bill. I loved the quarry scene but the movie was definitely missing the barrens.
Old 09-15-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws View Post
^ And that's why some of us are holding on to the book so much - because it is infinitely superior in terms of characterization. This film could have nailed it, because the mini-series did with less time (the kids' story takes up no more time than this film's running time).

When Mike is getting harassed by Bowers, racism comes into play because it immediately puts the Losers' Club in an us-vs-them scenario and you buy into Mike becoming a fast friend because, unlike Bowers and co, the kids aren't racist. Mike feels welcomed instantly. You lose that in this film, but then, as you said, they gave Mike nothing to do so it doesn't matter too much.
But that part of the book was set in the 50s, where racism would have been a lot more open. Current politics aside, the bullying is more of a universal experience at the time they set this.
Old 09-15-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't mid, though, and as someone already pointed out -- it's a different time period altogether.
Old 09-15-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
But that part of the book was set in the 50s, where racism would have been a lot more open. Current politics aside, the bullying is more of a universal experience at the time they set this.
True, but I also have zero problem imagining Bowers '88 using the same language. He gets it from his dad, and that definitely isn't hard to believe.

Just like how he ragged on Stan for being Jewish.
Old 09-15-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just saying that treatment of black people isn't quite the same in the 80s as it would have been in the 50s. And there was enough racism directed toward Mike that I got the point.
Old 09-16-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It made 35 million yesterday.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 09-16-17 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-16-17, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Huh? It made $19.2m, heading for a roughly $60m second frame, which is still ridiculously good.
Old 09-16-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh? It made $19.2m, heading for a roughly $60m second frame, which is still ridiculously good.

Huh, I thought I read Scott Mendelson say that. Must have misread, but the second week total will be insane -- it's definitely not front-loaded.
Old 09-16-17, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, an R-rated horror movie dropping less than 60% in its second weekend is unreal. Might even drop less than 55%. The lack of any strong competition and the hurricane last weekend def helped bolster the numbers.

Despite how I felt about the film, glad to see horror doing so well.
Old 09-16-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Huh, I thought I read Scott Mendelson say that. Must have misread, but the second week total will be insane -- it's definitely not front-loaded.

62% = includes that $13.5m from Thursday previews, that's a pretty impressive hold.
Old 09-17-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thought his was pretty damn good, shot really well, the scene where they first stab him in the head looked so cool

Agreed that they had a lot of the same scares though

Saw it in IMAX even though it wasn't shot in it but man the sounds and bass were so fucking loud
Old 09-17-17, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by redrum View Post
Saw it in IMAX even though it wasn't shot in it but man the sounds and bass were so fucking loud
I liked this quite a lot - much better than the TV version which I find inexplicably overrated. Great scares and captured the feeling of the book very well (even if a few of the characters like Mike got the shaft, others like Bev and Ben came out great).

But yeah my one criticism of it is as above - wayyyyy too loud in the scary scenes. I thought it was just my theatre but sounds like other people have this problem too. (This piece nicely explains the problem.) The scary bits of the film, while fun, actually seemed less effective to me than the more character-driven parts. But for a King movie (where at least 75% of the films of his work suck), it's a pretty great adaptation and I look forward to Chapter 2.
Old 09-18-17, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. I love the film, but my only complaint is the sound. Jesus Christ was it loud during the 'jump scares' I jumped because my ears just exploded.
Old 09-18-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Agreed. I love the film, but my only complaint is the sound. Jesus Christ was it loud during the 'jump scares' I jumped because my ears just exploded.
Same with our theater.

Movie was fantastic. I love scary movies and this one delivered on the creepiness factor... not only was I freaked out by Pennywise shuffling forward, but that ghastly woman thing from the Jewish boy's painting was creepy as hell.
Old 09-18-17, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did-- did someone actually claim Pet Sematary was an 'excellent' movie?

I need a cold compress...
Old 09-18-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I just watched it again the other day and, while I still love the setting and atmosphere and most of the story, my god, Louis and Jud are two of the least responsible leads I have ever seen in a film.
Old 09-18-17, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Who claimed that?
Old 09-19-17, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Caught this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. From the previews, I was a little worried the characters might take a backseat to cheap scares and that really didn't turn out to be the case. Other than poor handling of Mike, they did a solid job. It does make me want to rewatch the original though, because while I know some of the adult performances weren't the best, I remember really liking the kids and thinking they were generally good performances.

I'm probably in the minority, but while I thought the film was really good, I didn't find it scary at all. I think part of that is due to my age, decades of watching horror movies and getting to the point where I find aspects of real life to be infinitely more frightening than an imaginary child-eating, shape-shifting clown monster. That said, I still feel like Curry's performance and characterization was more unsettling. It felt like his Pennywise took a bit of glee in tearing kids apart, while Skarsgard's felt fairly emotionless. Not saying Skarsgard didn't do a great job, it was just a more animalistic approach.
Old 09-19-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Who claimed that?
I did. Stupid Andy Muschietti said he wanted to remake Pet Semetary, and that's a good movie. There are far worse King adaptations that need a second try before remaking that.
Old 09-19-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm kinda with you. I don't know if it's a "great" movie, but it is damn good on its own and a solid adaptation as well. Also, for the most part it holds up.pretty well.
Old 09-19-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Javier Botet as Zelda would be scary as hell!
Old 09-19-17, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.