DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Is Teen Wolf (1985) as good as I think it is? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/641222-teen-wolf-1985-good-i-think.html)

OldBoy 08-31-17 07:54 PM

Is Teen Wolf (1985) as good as I think it is?

I mean this was a nostalgic movie for me. I grew up with it. Watching it again I see so many themes. I mean it's your typical Adolescent Coming of Age tale, but they weren't as rampant back then. This has a twist, as unbelievable as it is, but also MJF really played these parts well. He wasnt even the wolf for very long in this one. Everyone did a good job and I'm wondering if it has a following today. I doubt it, but curious nonetheless...

TheMovieman 08-31-17 08:07 PM

Re: Is Teen Wolf (1985) as good as I think it is?

Is it good? Sure. Is it as good as you think it is? Probably not.

Mike86 08-31-17 08:10 PM

I think it's fine for what it is. Not an all time classic or anything and not a movie I've watched a whole bunch of times but a fun teen film obviously with the werewolf twist. If nothing else I tend to enjoy Michael J. Fox in most movies especially from that era. I actually was thinking about picking up the new Scream Factory release.

movieguru 08-31-17 08:18 PM

It was a good teenage popcorn flick comedy at the time. I haven't seen it in years and remember very little about the film now. I doubt it holds up well now but may be ok to watch for the sense of nostalgia.

devilshalo 08-31-17 08:26 PM

I always thought Boof was a cutie.

Boondock Saint 08-31-17 08:30 PM

Love it. One of my favorites.

TheAllPurposeNothing 08-31-17 08:51 PM

When I was reviewing movies for my college paper back in the 80's, this was the only movie I flat-out panned. Liked James Hampton, but everything else was forgettable at best, annoying as hell at worst (yes, I'm talking about you, Stiles).

mcnabb 08-31-17 09:10 PM

Just like many 80's movies you can look at Teenwolf as either really corny or it has a lot of heart? I would say both because the coarsening of society makes this look very corny in 2017. But if you take a step back and watch it in the context of that time period, it's a movie with likable characters that actually has a message in that we should just be ourselves in Highschool and don't try to be someone else.

Original Desmond 08-31-17 09:24 PM

It was ok, riding on the coolade that was a prime hot Michael J Fox

Entertaining enough but just missed the mark to be a classic

mrhan 08-31-17 09:30 PM

I thought it was a pretty shitty movie; especially after seeing BTTF earlier that summer. I guess I had high expectations.

OldBoy 08-31-17 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13147452)
I think it's fine for what it is. Not an all time classic or anything and not a movie I've watched a whole bunch of times but a fun teen film obviously with the werewolf twist. If nothing else I tend to enjoy Michael J. Fox in most movies especially from that era. I actually was thinking about picking up the new Scream Factory release.

I watched a little of the the 2:23 docu. Some good stuff. So extensive.

Mabuse 08-31-17 10:23 PM

1. Keep in mind this had been shelved and only once BTTF came out did they hurry it to release
2. The actor who plays the basketball coach hits it out of the park. No exaggerating, the movie is a must see just to witness his 3 minutes of scattered brilliance.
3. It's far better than a film with its premise needs to be.

Spiderbite 08-31-17 10:24 PM

I love this movie. I think it was the first movie I saw with a friend without my parents attending (I was 12 years old so it was a big deal to me).

I could have sworn it was PG-13 at the time but IMDB says it was rated PG.

GoldenJCJ 08-31-17 10:47 PM

You'd be hard pressed to find a movie with as heavy handed a metaphor as Teen Wolf. Subtle it ain't.

I enjoyed it when I was younger but it's certainly no classic.

Cardsfan111 08-31-17 11:05 PM

I thought the film was great when I was 12 years old.

When I watched it as an adult, it was merely ok.

JZ1276 09-01-17 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing (Post 13147493)
When I was reviewing movies for my college paper back in the 80's, this was the only movie I flat-out panned. Liked James Hampton, but everything else was forgettable at best, annoying as hell at worst (yes, I'm talking about you, Stiles).

What are you looking at, Dicknose?

Pamela was hot as hell.

Mabuse 09-01-17 10:01 AM

At one point he dresses as a confederate general. So this may need to be watched in a safe space with a therapeutic animal of your choice. If that animal is a wolf then you are really doing it right.

Bluelitespecial 09-01-17 10:06 AM

Don't forget Stiles and Scott called each other F**s while they were looking for weed in the garage. That plus the house party and references to teen drinking, are surprising given that this is a PG movie. Its probably my most rewatched Michael J. Fox movie, and the soundtrack is really good. I was able to hunt down the international version of it on Ebay.

Why So Blu? 09-01-17 10:06 AM

That stupid surfing in the USA scene was filmed nearby.

Bluelitespecial 09-01-17 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13147771)
That stupid surfing in the USA scene was filmed nearby.

It was used twice in the film, which one? The setting is supposed to be a random small town, but the Palm trees are pretty obvious it was made in California.

Why So Blu? 09-01-17 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13147775)
It was used twice in the film, which one? The setting is supposed to be a small town in the USA, but the Palm trees are pretty obvious it was made in California.

The second one. The palm trees are over in South Pasadena, and when the truck turns into the street that's coming off of the main street, which is also south Pasadena. Hell, Michael J. Fox's character's home is also in South Pasadena, too.

Bluelitespecial 09-01-17 10:17 AM

That must be a pretty famous shooting location for movies in the 70s and 80s, its looks like its the same neighborhood that Halloween was made.

Why So Blu? 09-01-17 10:26 AM

Oh yeah, I've been by the sections that Halloween was filmed in. Parts of Halloween 2, 3, and The Fog were also filmed nearby.

mrhan 09-01-17 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13147778)
The second one. The palm trees are over in South Pasadena, and when the truck turns into the street that's coming off of the main street, which is also south Pasadena. Hell, Michael J. Fox's character's home is also in South Pasadena, too.

Totally off topic....have you ever seen David Lee Roth just hanging out? My brother attended Art Center behind the Rose Bowl and they use to see that fucker all the time. :lol:

Mabuse 09-01-17 11:47 AM

BTTF filmed near there as well of course.

Also, someone pointed out in my '80s montage thread that this movie may have the record for most number of 80's montages in one film.