Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Old 04-04-19, 11:42 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Doesn't need to do WW box-office to be a hit, especially on a 55million budget.
Originally Posted by Brack
With a budget of only $55m, this will be profitable regardless. It’ll make that money back opening weekend if I was a betting man.
Old 04-04-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Wow for a forum about movies, you guys suck at recognizing something with great potential

That trailer was fucking art

Yeah we don't know if the final product will deliver, but that trailer was beautiful
Do you think it's possible to watch a trailer of a movie that looks like it has great cinematography and be completely uninterested in the subject matter? Because again, I've never thought to myself "I wonder what Joker's mom was like?"

Last edited by Draven; 04-04-19 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-04-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I’m honestly surprised how many people are down on this movie. I guess I’m basically looking at it a couple ways. We’ve clearly been told that this movie is it’s own thing and separate from other DC films, and also while this gives a backstory to The Joker, which I was initially against thinking about it more he’s an unreliable narrator. Just because this story is giving us his origin doesn’t mean anything because he has multiple origins and has been said to be so insane even he doesn’t know which one is true. If you take out the comic elements too and just take it for what it looks to be it should be a good film either way. You have Phoenix turning in what looks to be an awesome performance in a character driven drama about a man’s descent into madness. It should be a good gritty crime drama/character study.

This is all coming from the DVD Talk resident DC hater.
Old 04-04-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

I think it looks interesting. Sort of an art house comic book movie. It may suck, but I'll definitely give it a watch.
Old 04-04-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’m honestly surprised how many people are down on this movie. I guess I’m basically looking at it a couple ways. We’ve clearly been told that this movie is it’s own thing and separate from other DC films, and also while this gives a backstory to The Joker, which I was initially against thinking about it more he’s an unreliable narrator. Just because this story is giving us his origin doesn’t mean anything because he has multiple origins and has been said to be so insane even he doesn’t know which one is true. If you take out the comic elements too and just take it for what it looks to be it should be a good film either way. You have Phoenix turning in what looks to be an awesome performance in a character driven drama about a man’s descent into madness. It should be a good gritty crime drama/character study.

Haters gonna hate.
Old 04-04-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 817 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

Sure, but like another poster said earlier, all this is going to do is confuse the hell out of the normal movie going public. Why are there so many jokers? When does he get his tattoos? Are we going to see him get his face scars?
People I know are still confused by the different Hulk movies. Or call Spider-Man Homecoming a prequel.
Old 04-04-19, 12:05 PM

I just hope the first line of the movie is something like “As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a joker.” Phillips already looks like he’s trying too hard to channel Scorsese as it is. But eh, it looks okay.
Old 04-04-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

And what do you want Warner to do? Place a disclaimer before hand, or video statement from Todd Phillips or Joaquin Phoenix that Joker is a stand-alone, non-connected movie? People will figure it our or just won't care that much. If it's good, they'll go. Didn't hurt Batman Begins or Spider-Man: Homecoming.
Old 04-04-19, 12:07 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino

Sure, but like another poster said earlier, all this is going to do is confuse the hell out of the normal movie going public. Why are there so many jokers? When does he get his tattoos? Are we going to see him get his face scars?
People I know are still confused by the different Hulk movies. Or call Spider-Man Homecoming a prequel.
Come on give people some credit.. Goddammit since 2016 I can't say that anymore ..
Old 04-04-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Haters gonna hate.
I've never been a DC "hater" - I do think the movies are worse than Marvel but I loved "Wonder Woman" and really enjoyed "Aquaman" too.

Jesus fucking Christ - the story they are telling is one I'm not personally interested in. Full stop.
Old 04-04-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some people just want to watch the world burn...
Old 04-04-19, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
I've never been a DC "hater" - I do think the movies are worse than Marvel but I loved "Wonder Woman" and really enjoyed "Aquaman" too.

Jesus fucking Christ - the story they are telling is one I'm not personally interested in. Full stop.
You don’t want to see the Joker give his mom a bath? How dare you.
Old 04-04-19, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
And what do you want Warner to do? Place a disclaimer before hand, or video statement from Todd Phillips or Joaquin Phoenix that Joker is a stand-alone, non-connected movie? People will figure it our or just won't care that much. If it's good, they'll go. Didn't hurt Batman Begins or Spider-Man: Homecoming.
Open to present day Arkham. Back of Jokers head. “So you want to know how it all started?”
End back at present day Arkham. “Well it might have gone something like that.”
Old 04-04-19, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

tsk tsk hipsters having breakdowns about this newest iteration of the joKer... the transmogrification of the joker has been going on since april of 1940 when this sprite painted psycho made his comic book debut.
Old 04-04-19, 01:25 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I am so sold on this! Screw continuity, hello entertainment!
Old 04-04-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I get that this movie is probably not for everyone. But, I don't know why the concept of an Elseworlds standalone movie is so confusing to some here who say the public won't get it or what's the point?

Was Batman Begins the prequel to Batman 1989? No! Was Heath Ledger's Joker the younger incarnation of Jack's? No. Was Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne/Batman the same guy as Bale's, but years later? Fuck no.

The Nolan trilogy was a standalone Elseworld Batman series. So I don't recall anyone complaining that those weren't in continuity with the Burton/Schumacher series.

So I don't see why an standalone Elseworld Joker story is so confusing.
Old 04-04-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
I get that this movie is probably not for everyone. But, I don't know why the concept of an Elseworlds standalone movie is so confusing to some here who say the public won't get it or what's the point?

Was Batman Begins the prequel to Batman 1989? No! Was Heath Ledger's Joker the younger incarnation of Jack's? No. Was Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne/Batman the same guy as Bale's, but years later? Fuck no.

The Nolan trilogy was a standalone Elseworld Batman series. So I don't recall anyone complaining that those weren't in continuity with the Burton/Schumacher series.

Old 04-04-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I want to see the film and think it looks good I can somewhat see where confusion could set in. We just had Leto’s take on Joker a few years ago, and now we’re getting a version that looks largely inspired by Ledger’s version. I know he isn’t, but there’s some similarities (the looks are pretty close and it seems like Phoenix’s character may not be physically transformed but more mentally transformed and wears the makeup). I could see this version being taken by some as a prequel to what we see in The Dark Knight.
Old 04-04-19, 01:59 PM

I agree, if people can follow Into the Spider Verse, why not different versions of comic book characters here or anywhere else?
Old 04-04-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack
I agree, if people can follow Into the Spider Verse, why not different versions of comic book characters here or anywhere else?
In my mind that’s a lot different because it’s literally the story of the film. Unless you’re talking about that movie versus the live action MCU stuff, which in that case is still a lot different because they’re not the same mediums of film.
Old 04-04-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

What's next.... A Wes Anderson film on The Justice League staring Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman
This does nothing for me. Not my thing.
Old 04-04-19, 02:21 PM

This film is the origin story for:

Old 04-04-19, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya

Because when those films came out, the MCU wasn’t a thing yet. Now people expect that sorta thing. Hollywood as been making all sorts of attempts to connect shit. Universals monster universe, the Conjuring series, etc..
I just think it’s stupid and short sighted to make a stand alone film at the same time you’re building the DCU with a character that has just been used and will be used again.
Old 04-04-19, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino

Because when those films came out, the MCU wasn’t a thing yet. Now people expect that sorta thing. Hollywood as been making all sorts of attempts to connect shit. Universals monster universe, the Conjuring series, etc..
I just think it’s stupid and short sighted to make a stand alone film at the same time you’re building the DCU with a character that has just been used and will be used again.

When the DCEU launched back in 2013, Geoff Johns was running the DC film studio and was the one who helped orchestrate the "Connected universe" He has since left and is producing and writing his own shows. He basically left with the DC film slate in disarray. Remember when they announced a big list of films planned going into 2020-2021? What happened to that?

Walter Hamada was promoted to run the DC film studio and he's been cleaning up Johns mess and is the one responsible for the new direction of more standalone movies. I don't think it's stupid and short sighted. You may not like it or not like this direction, but it's been working so far. Aquaman is a billion dollar movie and is 99% standalone. Shazam! is getting great reviews and had a solid preview showing back on the 23rd.
Old 04-04-19, 02:47 PM

Has it been working? Everything we’ve seen at the box office was already planned up to Shazam before Justice League’s release. This Joker movie is the first DC movie made to test this new direction.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.