Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts
Re: Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Originally Posted by DJariya
This is a standalone Elseworld movie. Joaquin Phoenix did not sign on to a "franchise" and be in future Batman or Suicide Squad movies.

So this version is one off and any future incarnation would be a different actor.
I guess I just don’t see the point then. It’s like DC/Warner Bros. Is purposely going out of their way to not do anything like what Marvel is doing. It’s like they’re just throwing shit on the wall and seeing what sticks.
Old 04-03-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino

I guess I just don’t see the point then. It’s like DC/Warner Bros. Is purposely going out of their way to not do anything like what Marvel is doing. It’s like they’re just throwing shit on the wall and seeing what sticks.
The DCEU is essentially dead at this point. The films are going to be stand alone from the sound of things, but could tie together down the line. Personally I’d prefer that they could make a shared universe work, but since they’ve managed to screw up with the films they tried that with so at this point I’m taking the films as they come. It seems like they’re at least trying to move in better directions with their output going forward so I’m less pessimistic than I once was about the DC films.
Old 04-03-19, 05:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Hell, sell DC to Nickelodeon. They can probably do better.
Old 04-03-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Like I had mentioned... just CoIE the shit out of the DCEU at this point, instead of rebooting, and keep anything that worked and mold it into a singular Universe.
Old 04-03-19, 07:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i freeking love joaquin phoenix...he's the most intense method actor of our time he truly is without without peer, and with no fears and zero boundaries he will materialize the best joker ever rendered to the silver sceen. just wait and see.

*and wait for it...................................dare i predict an oscar nomination AND best actor win.
oh god, YES!
Old 04-03-19, 07:46 PM
Banned by request

Sounds like it’s still cold up there in Canadia.
Old 04-03-19, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I must not have been paying close enough attention to this production. I was surprised to see Robert De Niro in the trailer.

I’m not sure what to think yet. The Joker as a simpathetic character doesn’t do much for me. I much prefer a vague backstory, or as stated before an unreliable narrator who always keeps the audience guessing as to what’s true or not.

Phoenix and a DC Joker story have me sold though. Even if I’m not entirely convinced that watching a poor schlub’s decent into madness will be very entertaining.
Old 04-03-19, 08:10 PM
Banned by request

Yep. The Dark Knight nailed it by just showing him as is, psychotic and all. But I guess WB....and Todd Phillips.....see it fit that we have yet another origin story.

And the origin story? He was bullied. Lame.
Old 04-03-19, 09:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I don’t know what the fuck I saw, but I did not like it at all. As a Batman fan or hell, movie fan...
Old 04-03-19, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I don’t know what the fuck I saw, but I did not like it at all. As a Batman fan or hell, movie fan...
Agree. I hated that trailer.
Old 04-03-19, 11:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Taxi Joker. Which is fine I guess.
Old 04-03-19, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Holy fuck, some of the melodramatic responses here

Stop trying to tie everything into some kind of "universe" or "continuity". Just follow Rashi's example and receive with simplicity.
Old 04-03-19, 11:25 PM

Yep

Old 04-04-19, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The trailer has me sold. Actually, I was sold once I saw that Joaquin Phoenix was signed on to play the Joker. But this trailer really surprised me. For some reason, based on the early set pictures, I just assumed this was going to be about his criminal life, pre-acid bath. Basically Heath Ledger Joker antics minus Batman. I wasn't expecting Taxi Driver meets The King of Comedy.

I'll be even happier if they don't have him permanently bleached and grinned by the end of the film. This film looks like it's trying to be a little different, and I like it.

Originally Posted by robin2099
This forum I swear.

"I don't like them giving an origin to the Joker". " I don't feel that we need an origin for the Joker".

Also this forum:

"I still love Batman 89!" (which featured an origin of The Joker and was almost more about the Joker than Batman)
"Batman: Mask of the Phantasm Rocks!"(which featured backstory about the Joker)
Lets not discount the fact that Batman: The Killing Joke is one of the most acclaimed comic book stories of all time and features...an origin of the Joker.
It sounds like you're talking about me!

I don't like the idea of giving the Joker an origin but like you said, he's already had multiple! Unlike Wolverine, this actually makes sense with regards to the Joker: He's insane.
"Sometimes I remember it one, sometimes another...If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

I think it's a good thing if DC/Warner Bros are trying to be different from Marvel. Let Marvel Studios do the shared universe thing, and DC/Warner Bros do multiple Earths. That way each DC film might have the chance to be it's own thing, and not worry about how it fits in with the rest of the DCU or having to follow the same formula.

Last edited by brayzie; 04-04-19 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-04-19, 03:00 AM

I’m fine with DC doing its own thing, but unfortunately that’s proved to be pretty haphazard for their brand. About half of their movies are good and the other, well, not. I don’t think that’s a direction they should continue going in. If they’re serious about making sure their output is good, they need someone like a Kevin Feige over there to oversee these films. They don’t have to be a shared universe, but they should at least try to be appealing.

I have no trouble with this trailer. I think DC is going to have a very good year with Shazam, Joker, and Wonder Woman 1984. It’s just a shame that they are supposedly scrapping their shared universe when a good chunk of it actually seems to work, as long as the Snyder crap is scrapped for good.
Old 04-04-19, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I’m fine with DC doing its own thing, but unfortunately that’s proved to be pretty haphazard for their brand. About half of their movies are good and the other, well, not. I don’t think that’s a direction they should continue going in. If they’re serious about making sure their output is good, they need someone like a Kevin Feige over there to oversee these films. They don’t have to be a shared universe, but they should at least try to be appealing.

I have no trouble with this trailer. I think DC is going to have a very good year with Shazam, Joker, and Wonder Woman 1984. It’s just a shame that they are supposedly scrapping their shared universe when a good chunk of it actually seems to work, as long as the Snyder crap is scrapped for good.
Wonder Woman 1984 comes out next year.
Old 04-04-19, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I love the trailer. I think this is EXACTLY the kind of stuff DC needs to be doing. I don't need/want another superhero "universe" of films - the standalone stuff is more appealing to me - create a bunch of multi-universes if needed...that's much more interesting.
Old 04-04-19, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by actionjackson29

Ah. It was gonna be November. Obviously pushed back a few months ago. Never mind that then. I don’t see this film doing that well. Certainly not Wonder Woman well.
Old 04-04-19, 07:42 AM

With a budget of only $55m, this will be profitable regardless. It’ll make that money back opening weekend if I was a betting man.
Old 04-04-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow for a forum about movies, you guys suck at recognizing something with great potential

That trailer was fucking art

Yeah we don't know if the final product will deliver, but that trailer was beautiful
Old 04-04-19, 10:36 AM
Banned by request

Hehe.…"art". Yous guys is funnys.
Old 04-04-19, 10:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29

Hiring a tentpole leader is useless if that leader or organization has no autonomy. Marvel is a studio within Disney. DC has none within WB. Unless WB lets DC become its own actual studio, taking their time and concentrating on singular movies that may or may not have continuity is probably their best bet. Especially since Snyder did so much to wreck the universe early on. But I don't believe they're scrapping anything. They're realizing they need to slow the heck down instead of doing the cliff notes version of building continuity. Build on movies that have some small continuity like WW or Aquaman and Shazam to rebuild the public trust again should be most important. Build your characters before you build the sandbox.

And if they can at the same time release some non-continuity films like Joker that are free to take a different look or examination of madness, evil and heroism? Great, variety is good, imho!
Old 04-04-19, 11:33 AM

And that’s all the more hilarious, since WB created DC Films in an exact attempt to compete with Marvel Studios, but they didn’t know what the fuck they were doing, clearly. And yes, the most recent Superman and Batman have been scrapped. What DC is doing now isn’t anything different than what they did thirty years ago save for now they believe they can be successful without Batman or Superman. That’s a good thing, but spacing out the releases of some of their biggest characters (a three year gap for Wonder Woman? Dumb.) and their script issues for stuff like The Flash aren’t exactly good signs for things to come. And do they even know what they’re doing with The Batman? So yeah, I’m not so convinced.
Old 04-04-19, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Old 04-04-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Ah. It was gonna be November. Obviously pushed back a few months ago. Never mind that then. I don’t see this film doing that well. Certainly not Wonder Woman well.
Doesn't need to do WW box-office to be a hit, especially on a 55million budget.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.