Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Obi-Wan Kenobi TV series starring Ewan McGregor coming to Disney Plus

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Obi-Wan Kenobi TV series starring Ewan McGregor coming to Disney Plus

Old 01-08-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story (D: Daldry)

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
It better be about Obi-Wan and no one else. Little to no female influence, and no forced diversity quotas.
Old 01-08-18, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Exercising?! Definite sign he’s playing Obi Wan!
Well, he kind of dumped his wife for her:

The old man has to stay in shape.
Old 01-09-18, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I like the idea of an Obi-Wan movie, but I'm not sure what he would do in it.

The sense I've gotten is that he stayed on Tatooine from the end of ROTS to the start of ANH. On Rebels he's already battled Darth Maul again, and the way that story played out doesn't leave much room for any other encounters.

Doing a sort of Episode III 1/2 might be interesting, where we see Darth Vader actually hunting down the last remaining Jedi, as implied in ANH. Set it about four years after ROTS.

It also occurs to me that Obi-Wan could make a trip to Alderaan, since we've never really gotten a good look at that world in a movie. Convince Natalie Portman to do an appearance as Padme, living on Alderaan as Leia's nanny. (They faked her death in ROTS. Leia couldn't have remember herfivevseconds after she was born. Retcon that shit!) Let her have one final confrontation with Vader, after which she commits suicide. Leia already said she was "sad." Go dark.
Old 01-09-18, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Interviewed at the golden globes:

Ewan McGregor on talk that he's returning as Obi Wan-Kenobi: "It's just that. There’s a lot of talk. I'd be happy to play him again. I don’t know any more about it more than you do. I saw the new one over Christmas. I thought it was really, really beautiful. I loved it."
Old 01-09-18, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Doing a sort of Episode III 1/2 might be interesting, where we see Darth Vader actually hunting down the last remaining Jedi, as implied in ANH. Set it about four years after ROTS.
Yeah a few years after ROTS (Ewan was always about 10+yrs young for the OT role imo) Something centered on Tatooine for the most part could work. It'd be very different, slower film...which I'd be all for at this point.

A few ideas:
He could have force visions about Anakin being tortured and turned into Vader (would help explain how he knows "he's more machine now than man, twisted and evil") Also being in communication with Yoda.

Finally seeing a live Krayt Dragon!

Using his ability to project sounds, giving some clarity as to what happened in ANH. (and get rid of that awful sound that is there now!)

Evading Sandpeople and Stormtroopers. Maybe he lights up his saber and saves a village or something, becomes a local legend of sorts. Going darker, maybe he does fall in love with someone and she later dies.

Finally travels across the Dune Sea and finds his eventual home.
Old 01-10-18, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
A few ideas:
He could have force visions about Anakin being tortured and turned into Vader (would help explain how he knows "he's more machine now than man, twisted and evil") Also being in communication with Yoda.
But we've already seen him turned into Vader and there was no torture.

I'm pretty sure he knows why's he's more machine than man...he's the one that cut off his limbs.
Old 05-17-18, 08:13 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story (D: Daldry)

Yea...it's TMZ... and the "synopsis" sounds like they put their own spin on it... but they don't normally post things that aren't true.

The next movie in the 'Star Wars Story' franchise will feature Obi-Wan Kenobi -- but it ain't an origin story ... far from it actually.

According to a newly released production bulletin -- obtained by TMZ -- Disney's next foray into their spin-off series appears to be called "Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story," with a working title of "Joshua Tree." "Return of the Jedi" also used a code name ... "Blue Harvest."

The synopsis reads as follows ... Obi-Wan is on Tatooine being an elusive hermit and stuff, but secretly watches over an infant Luke Skywalker, whom he delivered to his uncle, Owen. Tensions between the local farmers and a tribe of Sand People -- headed by a ruthless war chief -- eventually brings Obi outta hiding ... and into Jedi kickass mode. Scene.

The bulletin lists Stephen Daldry as the director -- he'd been rumored to be in talks for the film, and now it looks like he's attached. The movie's shooting in London at a well-known 'Star Wars' studio, recently used for 'The Last Jedi.' Production is set to begin next spring.
http://www.tmz.com/2018/05/17/obi-wa...or-production/

Last edited by dex14; 05-17-18 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-17-18, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Sounds like a Western. Could be pretty good...
Old 05-17-18, 10:41 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like Seven Samurai.
Old 05-17-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I thought the same thing. Honestly though it could be kinda cool if done right I think.
Old 05-17-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

I thought the scope of TLJ was tiny between two ships, Ach-To and Crait... a desert based showdown between a Jedi and sand-people?? Boring.
Old 05-17-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it could be refreshing to see a smaller scale story told with one of the major characters.
Old 05-17-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I'd almost rather see Jar Jar Binks: A Star Wars Story than this.
Old 05-17-18, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Sounds like Seven Samurai.
Yup. I was hoping for something exactly like this a while back. https://forum.dvdtalk.com/12529924-post53.html
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/12642049-post8935.html
Old 05-17-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The synopsis reads as follows ... Obi-Wan is on Tatooine being an elusive hermit and stuff, but secretly watches over an infant Luke Skywalker, whom he delivered to his uncle, Owen. Tensions between the local farmers and a tribe of Sand People -- headed by a ruthless war chief -- eventually brings Obi outta hiding ... and into Jedi kickass mode. Scene.
Seems like a quick way for the strongest force user in the galaxy, one you have a close bond with, to locate you. Won't even mention that it's the planet where he was from.
Old 02-19-19, 03:46 PM

RUMOR:

This could turn into a limited series on Disney+:
https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2019...g-service.html
Old 02-19-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as it happens I'm down for a series or film. I just want more McGregor Obi-Wan.
Old 02-20-19, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Obi-wan Kenobi fighting Sandpeople is kind of lame...like why would a Jedi Master have trouble defeating Tuskin Raiders...aren't they kind of mindless nomads?

I suspect a lot of the solo-movies (if you'll pardon the obvious pun) that Disney planned may be developed into series for the Disney app. I mean here we are less than a year away from Episode 9 and NO other films have been announced "officially" - yes, we know Rian is working on a trilogy and the Game of Thrones guys are working on a trilogy, but nothing is close to being ready to shoot yet. I wonder if we're going to even get a Star Wars movie in 2020...and maybe not in 2021 either.
Old 02-20-19, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Obi-wan Kenobi fighting Sandpeople is kind of lame...like why would a Jedi Master have trouble defeating Tuskin Raiders...aren't they kind of mindless nomads?

I suspect a lot of the solo-movies (if you'll pardon the obvious pun) that Disney planned may be developed into series for the Disney app. I mean here we are less than a year away from Episode 9 and NO other films have been announced "officially" - yes, we know Rian is working on a trilogy and the Game of Thrones guys are working on a trilogy, but nothing is close to being ready to shoot yet. I wonder if we're going to even get a Star Wars movie in 2020...and maybe not in 2021 either.
I don't doubt that most of the solo films have been scrapped, reshuffled, redeveloped, etc. But, no other Marvel films have "officially" been announced either, yet we will be getting 3 next year.
Old 02-20-19, 07:23 AM

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
As long as it happens I'm down for a series or film. I just want more McGregor Obi-Wan.
Where's the "like" button because I like this.
Old 02-20-19, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Yep. He seemed to be the only one in the prequels who was like "I'm in a Star Wars movie!! F*** Yeah!!!"
Old 02-20-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

Hopefully Disney doesn't cutesie everything up and can give us a proper series. I'm hoping for more grit and adult themed (within reason) material than Disney XD garbage.
Old 02-20-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

remember when the plan was to have a Star Wars movie every year till eternity
Old 02-20-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I would go with Obi-Wan vs the Inquisitors. Have Sarah Michelle Gellar appear as the Seventh Sister. But you’d have to get him off of Tatooine if he’s going to be facing anything Imperial or Sith.
Old 02-21-19, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I don't doubt that most of the solo films have been scrapped, reshuffled, redeveloped, etc. But, no other Marvel films have "officially" been announced either, yet we will be getting 3 next year.
Yeah, but we kinda know what they are: Black Panther 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (maybe!) or Dr. Strange 2 (maybe!), Black Widow, and (probably!) The Eternals.

We have NO clue what Lucasfilm is developing, other than those two trilogies, which are currently just now at the writing stages. Maybe they're going to give Star Wars a little break to finally do Indiana Jones 5.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.