Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Millennials don’t really care about classic movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-17, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It appears that the “Golden Age of Cinema” has lost its sheen to the young over the years, as millennials are turning their back on classic movies.

A new study finds that less than a quarter of millennials have watched a film from start to finish that was made back in the 1940s or 50s and only a third have seen one from the 1960s.

Thirty percent of young people also admit to never having watched a black and white film all the way through – as opposed to 85 percent of those over 50 – with 20 percent branding the films “boring.”

A new survey polling 1,000 millennials and 1,000 Americans over the age of 50 conducted by FYE.com, reveals that looking back into the history of cinema isn’t the preference of youth today, with millennials exponentially more likely to have binged on films of the last 15 years than on classics from bygone eras.

Less than half of millennials have seen the likes of “Gone with the Wind,” “The Sound of Music,” “To Kill a Mockingbird,” or even “The Shawshank Redemption” — rated the greatest film of all time on IMDB.

Only 28 percent have seen “Casablanca,” 16 percent have watched “Once Upon a Time in the West” and only a measly 12 percent have seen the Hitchcock classic “Rear Window” – though the director’s “Psycho” fares moderately better at a rate of 38 percent.

On the other side of things, some over-50s appear to have the tendency to stick to their old classics and ignore new cinema altogether with one in ten admitting they aren’t sure if they have seen a film newer than 2010 – and eight percent straight up saying no, they have not.

And while millennials believe that movies have only gotten more entertaining over time, 30 percent admit to having felt social pressure to lie that they have seen an old classic in its entirety – compared to just three percent of over-50s.

“There is so much out there in terms of classic cinema that sometimes it can seem overwhelming, but today it is easier than ever to catch up on the classics – or the newest blockbusters – in whatever form you may prefer,” says Bill Miller, VP of DVD/Blu-ray Sales at FYE. His company is focusing on “engaging the fan that’s very loyal.” That can mean looking at niches and franchises with rabid followings and bringing in more products in those areas.

There is even a disparity in genres between the generations, with millennials twice as likely to choose horror as their top favorite and over-50s more than twice as likely to pick westerns.

Millennials are also twice as likely to not be bothered by too much gore or too much nudity than the older group.

But the older generation and the younger one don’t differ on every front, as the research reveals that when it comes to what exactly makes a movie a classic, they are in complete agreement. Both say that the top qualities of a classic film are a great plot, staying relatable over time and containing memorable scenes or quotes.

As for how the different ages enjoy their films, it appears that streaming services are still largely a favorite of the young, with 72 percent of millennials naming it as a common way they watch movies, as opposed to just 30 percent of people over 50.

Younger people are also more likely to enjoy films in the theater, on DVD or Blu-ray, or illegally downloaded online. They were only topped by over-50s when it comes to watching films on cable or TV.

Millennials are also considerably more finicky when it comes to picture quality, as they were found to be twice as likely as over-50s to say that they tend to only watch things in HD.

“We want to offer fans movies they love in any format, DVD, Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K and whatever may come next” Miller said. “We have taken steps to almost reinvent ourselves, tying into a lot of the product categories and franchises that our customers have loved, expanding into consumer products that appeal to millennials… while also going after the fan who has been a customer for a long time and taking them to the next level.”

Top 10 most common movies millennials have seen

“The Lion King” 81.60 percent
“Forrest Gump” 74.60 percent
“Back to the Future” 66.80 percent
“The Dark Knight” 66.50 percent
“The Matrix” 63.20 percent
“The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring” 60.90 percent
“Terminator 2: Judgement Day” 59.20 percent
“The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King” 59 percent
“The Silence of the Lambs” 54.90 percent
“The Godfather” 55 percent

Top 10 most common movies over-50’s have seen

“Forrest Gump” 84.30 percent
“Back to the Future” 80 percent
“The Silence of the Lambs” 71 percent
“It’s a Wonderful Life” 70.50 percent
“The Godfather” 69.90 percent
“Raiders of the Lost Ark” 69.30 percent
“Saving Private Ryan” 68.30 percent
“One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” 66.40 percent
“The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” 65.90 percent
“The Green Mile 65.60 percent
Source: nypost.com

I'm not really surprised. Most millennials I know outright refuse to watch b&w movies, or anything older than 10-20 years.
Old 08-17-17, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Millennials don’t really care about classic movies

Oh noes! millienielz r killing moviez!
Old 08-17-17, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Young people don't like old things. Shocking.
Old 08-17-17, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a lot of stupidity in this study. It's comparing people in their 50's to teenagers and early 20's. Of course the older group is more likely to have watched the classics. Appreciation comes with age, that has always been true. Also, they didn't show any comparisons. They say only 38% of millennials watched Psycho but using the list at the bottom, less than 65% of over 50 watched it. That seems like a logical gap to me.
Old 08-17-17, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

This really isn't much of a finding.

Most people I know in their late 40's don't care about classic movies.
Old 08-17-17, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

They could probably extend that back, I know a ton of people born in the 70s that have never seen a movie from the 40s or 50s. Plus there's entertainment choices these days.

Also, I notice The Wizard of Oz and Disney movies are missing from this.

Originally Posted by Goat3001
There is a lot of stupidity in this study. It's comparing people in their 50's to teenagers and early 20's. Of course the older group is more likely to have watched the classics. Appreciation comes with age, that has always been true. Also, they didn't show any comparisons. They say only 38% of millennials watched Psycho but using the list at the bottom, less than 65% of over 50 watched it. That seems like a logical gap to me.
Millennials are between about 18 and 35 now, but they missed the actual generation that stopped caring which is currently in their 40s.
Old 08-17-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Millennials and people over 50 don't like foreign films.
Old 08-17-17, 09:24 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

If you were 18-21 in the early 90s did you really care about B&W movies or ones pre-1970? I'm sure there are some here who did, obviously, because we all love film. But I would guess the majority didn't.
Old 08-17-17, 09:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah, as movies get older the definition of "classic" moves.

It's kind of like music. 20 years ago, "oldies" were songs from the 60's. Now they are songs from the 80's.

File this under "no shit sherlock".
Old 08-17-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Yeah, as movies get older the definition of "classic" moves.

It's kind of like music. 20 years ago, "oldies" were songs from the 60's. Now they are songs from the 80's.

File this under "no shit sherlock".
Very true. When I was a kid, my older brother listed to "classic rock" which were songs from the 60's. The other day, I turned on a classic rock station and they were playing songs I listened to back in the 80's. Made me feel old.
Old 08-17-17, 09:39 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Being 36 years of age, I belong to no generation, and therefore I can like what I like, which is anything made in film. This must explain why my love of films holds no boundaries. I love all genres, decades, etc. If I was still 35 right now, I'd be less free to love movies. Or perhaps that's just silly and that I'm an outlier in all of this.
Old 08-17-17, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Millennials and people over 50 don't like foreign films.
I'm over 50 and a fan of foreign movies.
Old 08-17-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I'm almost 40 and I don't really care about classic movies either. Sure, there are some good movies from that era, but nothing that I can say that I desperately need to see again.
Old 08-17-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Old 08-17-17, 11:13 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Millennials are also considerably more finicky when it comes to picture quality, as they were found to be twice as likely as over-50s to say that they tend to only watch things in HD.
i guarantee that more than 50% of them have their equipment calibrated wrong.
Old 08-17-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Probably over 95%. Of everybody. They just adjust the brightness and call it a day.
Old 08-17-17, 11:33 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Very true. When I was a kid, my older brother listed to "classic rock" which were songs from the 60's. The other day, I turned on a classic rock station and they were playing songs I listened to back in the 80's. Made me feel old.
Shit, I remember hearing Collective Soul on a classic rock station a few years back. A song from the 90's.

Originally Posted by Mabuse
i guarantee that more than 50% of them have their equipment calibrated wrong.
Even more than that, I'm sure. To them, picture quality is # of pixels. That's it. Most folks don't care about anything else that determines "good" PQ.
Old 08-17-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was listening to the oldies station the other day in my car and they played the Chili Peppers.
Old 08-17-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Most of us older folks had no choice but to watch tons of old black and white movies. We only had three tv channels.
As late as the mid 1960s on network tv we would get:

"TONIGHT AN ABC SPECIAL PRESENTATION! FIRST TIME ON NETWORK TV!"

And it would be a 20 year old movie.
Old 08-17-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

When Baby Boomers grew up, old movies were on TV all the time. If you didn't watch sports or news, you watched cartoons when they were on and old movies the rest of the time. We knew our parents' movies (WIZARD OF OZ, CASABLANCA et al) and our movies (Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood, et al).

When my daughter was growing up, there were still lots of old movies on TV and I got her to watch Shirley Temple and a few choice titles (SON OF GODZILLA) but by the time she was 9, cable came in and it was Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, etc. all day for her. Although I still managed to get her to watch an old classic movie now and then. But those got scarcer and scarcer and were soon just on American Movie Classics and, later, TCM. She's 34, so those a few years younger never knew a time when they didn't get kids' programming all day, so they didn't have old movies on and unless their parents made them watch old movies, they never saw them, except maybe in school where they probably told the teacher they were "boring."

Schools have not done a good job at all of teaching cinema as an art form in schools from the earliest grades. When they do show films in school it's just to entertain the kids and keep them occupied not to teach them film history or aesthetics.
Old 08-17-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

When I was a kid with just the three networks every Sunday morning was comedy movies, Marx Brothers, Ma and Pa Kettle, W.C. Fields.

On weekday afternoons there was a choice between two soap operas or Charlie Chan, Tarzan, Sherlock Holmes movies.

Johnny Carson was the only late night show. The other two channels showed old movies.

And then there were the old monster movies. We didn't watch these because they were the best thing on, we sought them out and planned around them.
Old 08-17-17, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I would worry more about music then movies regarding Millenials. How many Millenials listen to The Beatles or even understand their impact on music?

Being a Gen'Xer, we were born after the Beatles had broken up but understood their importance along with The British Invasion bands like Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones. My nephews are in high school/college and they listen to Rap/Top 40/Country. They have no idea about Lennon/McCartney and Beatlemania.
Old 08-17-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

What's weird (and sad) is that I know kids who are high school age who went to see Alien: Covenant, but who have never seen Alien or Aliens. Most were unaware it even existed, though most knew it was a sequel to Prometheus.

I didn't dare ask if they thought it was based on the Alien video games because I didn't want to know...
Old 08-17-17, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Boy, those millennials sure are pieces of shit, aren't they?
Old 08-17-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I'm 43 and honestly I rarely watch any movies that are pre-80s. I do own a some from the 60s and 70s, but anything earlier than that I really don't have the interest to see.

I never watch TCM where they show classic movies either. I know there are many that I've never seen, but with an overwhelming amount of movies available in 2017, I just don't feel compelled to watch Casablanca, How the West was Won or any of Hitchcock's classics etc. I personally think it's already overwhelming enough keeping up with current contemporary movies.

Years ago, a colleague who is super into classic movies, highly recommended that I watch the 1950 Bette Davis black and white movie "All about Eve" I told her that I don't watch classic movies and she was heavily selling how great it was. So I gave in and rented a DVD from a specialty DVD rental store and watched. Honestly, I was bored out of my skull. Barely was able to finish it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.