Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017, D: Lanthimos) S: Farrell, Kidman, Keoghan

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017, D: Lanthimos) S: Farrell, Kidman, Keoghan

Old 01-31-18, 08:48 AM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017, Lanthimos) S: Farrell, Kidman, Keoghan

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I thought this was one of the most unforgettable films of 2017. Still not exactly sure what all happened or why it happened. I'll need to revisit this again.

When I heard all the dialogue was deadpan (before seeing it), I thought it would be awful, but it works.

The boy playing Martin is one of the creepiest fucks I've seen on film in a long time.

Can't wait to see what the director does next.
Agreed. Great movie and one that will keep you awake at night.
Old 01-31-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Agreed. Great movie and one that will keep you awake at night.
I haven't seen a lot, but so far for me it is the best film of 2017.
Old 01-31-18, 03:31 PM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I haven't seen a lot, but so far for me it is the best film of 2017.
I'm sure it will be way up there for me. Best for me is still Blade Runner 2049.
Old 02-19-18, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I wanted to love this film, and the mysterious first half was very effective with its incremental cinematography and subtly sinister music creating a prickly, chilly expectancy. Performances were uniformly fantastic, and the dialogue, though artificially formal and somewhat stilted in its delivery (almost Mamet-esque), was nonetheless compelling in its intelligence.
What ruined the picture for me was the supernatural-reprisal conceit, which is simply central to the film. One either buys this sort of thing or not, and I did not, because realism and the metaphysical don't mix well. I haven't read up on the film, but it's probably a religious allegory, which explains why I found that salient element twaddle.
Bottom line is that I was intrigued by the realistically portrayed upper-class complacency and puzzling plot machinations of the opening reel (who is the boy, and what hold does he have on Farrell?), only to be let down when the film went off the rails with the paranormal manifestations. Love that unnervingly minatory music, though. Stylistically, the film is unimpeachable.

As Osiris3657 mentioned, this film bears some structural and thematic similaties to Mother! (both films start with promise and degenerate), but this one doesn't become nearly as outlandish or insufferable.

Last edited by Norm de Plume; 02-19-18 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-28-18, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Just watched TKOASD on Blu, for the first time. Beautiful & stunning print - the PQ & color were stellar.

I watched this without having read any reviews or any kind of analyses of the film. This is unquestionably one of the most - if not THE most - twisted, unsettling, and genuinely fucked-up films I've ever seen.

The dialogue & conversations between the characters was extremely stilted/awkward, which was obviously intentional. I felt like I was watching a play instead of a movie. At times, the conversations were unintentionally/intentionally?! laughable. For example, who tells friends (even good friends)
Spoiler:
about their daughter getting her first period?! WTF?!
I couldn't decide whether to laugh or be made uncomfortable by this - or both.

Here's my interpretation of the film's events - note I haven't read most of the other responses here, and I also haven't read any interpretations of the movie:

The young man/teen Martin
Spoiler:
was obviously justifiably angry at his father's death, and blamed the surgeon (who was almost certainly at fault for the death). It's not clear if he knew the surgeon was drunk when he performed the surgery. Martin accepted the surgeon's offers of friendship, gifts, getting invited to the surgeon's home, etc. in order to ingratiate himself with the family so he could somehow put a "curse" on them.

Spoiler:
The "curse" obviously resulted in the family members losing the use of their legs, extreme loss of appetite, eventual bleeding from the eyes, and would have ultimately resulted in death. Martin knew the exact medical symptoms that the family members would suffer - and the order that they would suffer them in - so, it seems evident that he did indeed have something to do with this. As Martin said, at some point the surgeon had to pick someone to kill, or else all three would die - which is what happened at the end.

I know that people can suffer illnesses and not actually be sick, i.e. the symptoms can be psychosomatic.
Spoiler:
However, in this case the surgeon's two children (both the boy & the girl) did genuinely suffer symptoms which included not being able to walk, appetite loss, and the bleeding of the eyes (which only the boy suffered). Even though the medical tests showed nothing, this was still occurring to the kids - and eventually to the mother - so it seems evident that an outside "force" was behind all of this, i.e. Martin.

As the film progressed,
Spoiler:
I wondered if there was a scene (that was left "off-screen") in which Martin hypnotized the two kids & the mother (Nicole Kidman) to make them experience the symptoms - without a real medical cause. However, a sequence like this was not even implied - so, I doubt this was supposed to have happened.

Side-note: It was nice to see Alicia Silverstone again (as Martin's mother). I haven't seen her in a film in years. And, she's still hot

In any case, this was an extremely disturbing film. I doubt I'll want to see it again - at least not anytime soon.

Last edited by TheDude; 02-28-18 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-28-18, 08:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude
Just watched TKOASD on Blu, for the first time. Beautiful & stunning print - the PQ & color were stellar.

I watched this without having read any reviews or any kind of analyses of the film. This is unquestionably one of the most - if not THE most - twisted, unsettling, and genuinely fucked-up films I've ever seen.

The dialogue & conversations between the characters was extremely stilted/awkward, which was obviously intentional. I felt like I was watching a play instead of a movie. At times, the conversations were unintentionally/intentionally?! laughable. For example, who tells friends (even good friends)
Spoiler:
about their daughter getting her first period?! WTF?!
I couldn't decide whether to laugh or be made uncomfortable by this - or both.

Here's my interpretation of the film's events - note I haven't read most of the other responses here, and I also haven't read any interpretations of the movie:

The young man/teen Martin
Spoiler:
was obviously justifiably angry at his father's death, and blamed the surgeon (who was almost certainly at fault for the death). It's not clear if he knew the surgeon was drunk when he performed the surgery. Martin accepted the surgeon's offers of friendship, gifts, getting invited to the surgeon's home, etc. in order to ingratiate himself with the family so he could somehow put a "curse" on them.

Spoiler:
The "curse" obviously resulted in the family members losing the use of their legs, extreme loss of appetite, eventual bleeding from the eyes, and would have ultimately resulted in death. Martin knew the exact medical symptoms that the family members would suffer - and the order that they would suffer them in - so, it seems evident that he did indeed have something to do with this. As Martin said, at some point the surgeon had to pick someone to kill, or else all three would die - which is what happened at the end.

I know that people can suffer illnesses and not actually be sick, i.e. the symptoms can be psychosomatic.
Spoiler:
However, in this case the surgeon's two children (both the boy & the girl) did genuinely suffer symptoms which included not being able to walk, appetite loss, and the bleeding of the eyes (which only the boy suffered). Even though the medical tests showed nothing, this was still occurring to the kids - and eventually to the mother - so it seems evident that an outside "force" was behind all of this, i.e. Martin.

As the film progressed,
Spoiler:
I wondered if there was a scene (that was left "off-screen") in which Martin hypnotized the two kids & the mother (Nicole Kidman) to make them experience the symptoms - without a real medical cause. However, a sequence like this was not even implied - so, I doubt this was supposed to have happened.

Side-note: It was nice to see Alicia Silverstone again (as Martin's mother). I haven't seen her in a film in years. And, she's still hot

In any case, this was an extremely disturbing film. I doubt I'll want to see it again - at least not anytime soon.
Last film I saw her in was Catfight.
Old 03-17-18, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 756 Likes on 617 Posts

A pleasant surprise.

I wonder if that kid was an alien or some supernatural being if he had the power to do that stuff to the family.
Old 06-04-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started watching last night, late at night, a little bit tired, had a couple of drinks before too. I only watched 40 mins. I wanted to confirm here that I watched the right movie last night, that it wasn't a dream.

I've watched Dogtooth, but I already expected that kind of movie. I wasn't expecting these first 40 minutes though. I will try to finish it tonight.
Old 06-04-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

If you stopped to ask "What the fuck am I watching?" then yes, you were watching the right movie.
Old 06-07-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finished and didn't like it. I mostly agree with Norm de Plume review. I wasn't in the right mood either, I watched it during the day, with some distractions.