DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   License To Drive -- remake (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/641066-license-drive-remake.html)

dex14 08-15-17 01:17 PM

License To Drive -- remake

EXCLUSIVE: License To Drive, the comedy that starred the two Coreys (Haim and Feldman) and a young Heather Graham in 1988, is being rebooted with female leads thanks to producer John Davis and 20th Century Fox. Alish Brophy and Scott Miles (Girl Problems) have just been hired to develop the remake, which is being described as the female version of Superbad.

The original film (also produced by Davis) was about a boy who, after failing his driver’s license tests, sneaks out for a night of partying with his girlfriend in his grandfather’s prized 1972 Cadillac Sedan de Ville.

Michael Ireland is overseeing the coming-of-age comedy for the studio.

The teen comedy remake comes on the heels of another reboot being developed by Davis: Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

Brophy and Miles won the 2015 Nicholl Fellowship for their screenplay United States Of Fuckin’ Awesome and last adapted Lionsgate’s White Girl Problems.

Davis is a producing veteran (The Predator, Game Night, The Blacklist) whose next out outing is Disney’s Jungle Cruise starring Dwayne Johnson which is being directed by Jaume Collet-Serra.

The writers are repped by Paradigm, Circle of Confusion and attorney Lev Ginsburg.
http://deadline.com/2017/08/license-...is-1202144226/

Nesbit 08-15-17 01:20 PM

Re: License To Drive -- remake

The driving test scene and heather graham were the only worthwhile parts of the original.

Maybe Feldman can do the soundtrack for the remake

RichC2 08-15-17 01:25 PM

Never saw it, wonder who are playing the girls.

stvn1974 08-15-17 01:56 PM

I have to put my foot down when the start remaking the classics like this.

TomOpus 08-15-17 03:00 PM

Can't remember if I ever saw the original.

Crocker Jarmen 08-15-17 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13135385)
Can't remember if I ever saw the original.

I thought the main reason we have so many re-boots/re-makes is because of the built-in audience. It's easy to advertise a movie based on something people already know (Hey, come see this new movie about the origins of Alien, or, Hey, come watch this TV show about Norman Bates when he was a kid). Is there a huge fan base for License to Drive? I don't believe I've heard a single person mention it since 1987.

wishbone 08-15-17 03:10 PM

"You're in luck son... the cup... was empty."

https://vimeo.com/83192473

E Unit 08-15-17 03:11 PM

The original was lousy. I guess it's easier to improve.

Obi-Wanma 08-15-17 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13135395)
The original was lousy. I guess it's easier to improve.

And this is how re-makes SHOULD be done. ie, "I like this concept, but how can we make it better?"

NOT "This made money before, so let's do it again"

Boondock Saint 08-15-17 03:23 PM

Love the original

Draven 08-15-17 03:28 PM

I'm all for this - loved the original as a kid but haven't revisited in years.

I wonder if they'll address the fact that kids DON'T want to get their licenses these days. It's not the right of passage that it was when this movie came out. That would be a worthy thing to include.

DthRdrX 08-15-17 06:41 PM

One of my favorites of the 80s.

This scene with James Avery ....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-kpNwHrTV7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Groucho 08-15-17 06:42 PM

Where is OldBoy's outrage over the desecration of this masterpiece??

GoldenJCJ 08-15-17 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nesbit (Post 13135293)
The driving test scene and heather graham were the only worthwhile parts of the original.

Originally Posted by wishbone (Post 13135393)
"You're in luck son... the cup... was empty."

https://vimeo.com/83192473

The test drive scene is classic!

I still say "what am I, speaking Greek!" in daily conversation. :lol:

The movie had a few funny bits but overall pretty forgettable. I'm all for a female remake. :up:

Norm de Plume 08-15-17 08:39 PM

Decent potboiler for a slow night. What I remember as the funniest moment is when the Coreys were walking home, and as they approach Haim's house and meet Dad, Richard Masur, Feldman says something that had me rolling. However, I can't recall what it was.

d2cheer 08-16-17 10:13 AM

Um no thanks. I could never get through the first one. I only tried to see it originally because a local rock band Slave Raider is supposed to have a song in it.

wishbone 08-16-17 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13135769)
The test drive scene is classic!

I still say "what am I, speaking Greek!" in daily conversation. :lol:

The movie had a few funny bits but overall pretty forgettable. I'm all for a female remake. :up:

A less than optimal view of the whole scene :lol: but the difference between driving tests was funny too.

Also, nerdy Nina Siemaszko. :drool:

Rob V 08-16-17 12:25 PM

I loved License to Drive as a kid... probably because (no, definitely) Graham... but I'm thinking it doesn't hold up so well today.

GoldenJCJ 08-16-17 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13136202)
Um no thanks. I could never get through the first one. I only tried to see it originally because a local rock band Slave Raider is supposed to have a song in it.

Isn't this the kind of remake one would want to see? Rather than remaking a beloved classic, they're remaking a flawed movie with potential. A remake could very much be in the same vein as teen comedies like Superbad.

movieguru 08-16-17 02:13 PM

Seen the original, but it's been so many years I don't remember much if anything from it.

Timber 08-16-17 02:16 PM

Get out of my dreams...

Loved the original thus this offends me.

Drexl 08-16-17 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 13135666)
Where is OldBoy's outrage over the desecration of this masterpiece??

"What is the fascination about a License to Drive remake?"

I don't see the point either. The appeal (such as it was) of the original was the two Coreys teaming up. Is there such a duo today among teen actresses?