Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Chaos Walking (2021, D: Liman) S: Holland, Ridley, Mikkelsen, Jonas

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-10-17, 12:37 PM

Received 988 Likes on 666 Posts

Nick Jonas will star with Daisy Ridley and Tom Holland in Lionsgate's post-apocalyptic thriller Chaos Walking.

Doug Liman is directing the film based on the best-selling YA novel by Patrick Ness.

The story takes place on a colony planet where almost all women have been killed by a virus and all living creatures are struck by The Noise, a virus that inflicts immersive visions of ones' every thought. The cacophony drives many mad until a young man (Holland) makes a silent discovery: There is a girl (Ridley) who may be the key to unlocking the New World's many layered secrets.

Mads Mikkelsen also stars in the film, playing a villain, and Demian Bichir and Kurt Sutter recently joined the project.

Jonas will play Davy Prentiss Jr., a young soldier in Mayor Prentiss' army fueled by jealousy over his father's (Mikkelson) mentorship of longtime rival Todd Hewitt (Holland).

The script was adapted by Charlie Kaufman (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind), Patrick Ness, Lindsey Beer, Gary Spinelli and John Lee Hancock.

Allison Shearmur, Erwin Stoff and Doug Davison are producing the film. Lionsgate has set the film for release on March 1, 2019.

Jonas, known for his work as a Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter (his third solo album, Last Year Was Complicated, was released in June 2016), has begun to build up a notable acting career. He'll soon star in Sony's Jumanji remake hitting theaters in December. He previously starred in the Sundance hit Goat. He's repped by WME and Phil McIntyre.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ebook_20170810
Old 04-04-18, 07:54 PM

re: Chaos Walking (2021, D: Liman) S: Holland, Ridley, Mikkelsen, Jonas

This is scheduled to go under major reshoots, but due to Holland and Ridley’s schedules, it could be a while before that happens and gets a release:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...shoots-1099534
Old 11-13-20, 01:27 PM

Re: Chaos Walking (D: Liman) S: Holland, Ridley, Mikkelsen, Jonas

Over 3 years later and this looking to finally come out. They had to do major reshoots (Fede Alvarez directed) and wait for Holland and Ridley’s limited availability.

Old 11-19-20, 08:56 AM

Re: Chaos Walking (2021, D: Liman) S: Holland, Ridley, Mikkelsen, Jonas

Old 11-19-20, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Received 284 Likes on 228 Posts

Solid cast, decent premise (I think), yet I have no interest in seeing this.
Old 11-19-20, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 365 Likes on 281 Posts

Meh. Cast is good, but the trailer doesn’t do much for me.
Old 11-19-20, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts

Wow, 4 years later, and here we are. Could go either way.
Old 12-17-20, 08:11 PM

Delayed until March due to MORE reshoots:
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/c...te-1234865079/
Old 12-17-20, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 772 Likes on 575 Posts

Wow, this movie is probably horrible. And they will have to wait until Holland is available after he wraps Spider-Man.
Old 12-17-20, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 347 Posts

Damn, so Holland will be a teenager in some scenes and a grown ass man in others.
Old 12-18-20, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 351 Likes on 218 Posts

Huh, hadn't been following this one at all. Looks kinda neat.
Old 03-03-21, 11:17 AM

Out this week in theatres. Reviews starting to drop:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chaos_walking

So much effort and money put into something and it will just come and go with a whimper.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Received 189 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Out this week in theatres. Reviews starting to drop:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chaos_walking

So much effort and money put into something and it will just come and go with a whimper.
"Sunk by the nearly unwatchable and unlistenable execution of the main premise." -Richard Roeper

I wonder if that's what caused them to deem it "unreleasable" in the first place?
Old 03-03-21, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

On the plus side, with New York theaters open this week, it will make a little more money than most of the pandemic released movies since they need new movies and this has Holland's name.

But, with the money they spent on reshoots, this is still going to bomb.
Old 03-03-21, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the TV ads are trying to evoke "Love and Monsters", which I understand did quite well under the circumstances.
Old 03-03-21, 12:59 PM

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Finally, the long-awaited reboot of the "What Men Want" franchise!
Old 03-03-21, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 152 Posts

It appears that Holland's agent's strategy is accept literally everything that comes across their desk.
Old 03-03-21, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
It appears that Holland's agent's strategy is accept literally everything that comes across their desk.
Keep in mind, he signed on to this in 2016 before Far From Home even came out.
Old 03-03-21, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 152 Posts

Good point. Ridley was riding high on SW at the time too. The studio must have though they hit the jackpot signing the new Spiderman AND Jedi.
Old 03-04-21, 10:20 AM

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

This was also when every other movie coming out was based on a YA apocalyptic novel.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-04-21)
Old 03-06-21, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

I thought the idea was somewhat interesting, and Holland makes the film watchable for a while, but it didn't really go anywhere that I cared about. I read the book synopsis when I got home, and I imagine that fans of the book would be wondering what they just saw.
Old 03-09-21, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 391 Likes on 290 Posts

Possible spoilers, but not really ... aka another drunken film rant at 10:30 in the morning. (Not really ... maybe)

What Marvel Wants, PG-13, 2021
After the Snap, Peter Parker and his Uncle Ben (no, really, he has an Uncle Ben!) were transported to Thanos's homeworld. They live there in an agrarian society which is governed by Kaecilius and his new son who is trying to start a boy band. In this society, Thanos must have done another snap which snapped away all the women (so Aunt May has been replaced by Uncle May). Everybody has Spider-Sense (although Peter Parker's is better). There is also Agent Kallus who has become an angry preacher.

They all call Spider-Sense "The Noise" which comes and goes as is convenient for the plotlines. Oh, and the women were all killed by an alien species ... which may or may not exist.

So ... after burying her lightsabers, Orphan Rey Palapatine ... (really, Rey P. -- did they think that through?) ... continues to search the galaxy for planets that don't have sand. She crashes (not much of a pilot) on this planet. Afterwards, everybody chases her ... because ... uh ... girl?

Peter and Rey then set off on a trek to go ... places? They meet ... an alien? A native? It doesn't matter. And ... more people. Then the people don't like the other people. There is a MacGufiin that needs to be MacGuffed. Conflict ensues. Mistakes were made.

Yeah ... that's about it I think. Oh, I went to the theater for the first time in about a year for this (first time to a Cinemark). The popcorn was phenomenal!

This played about like most Netflix originals. Decent production value, great cast, some interesting moments ... but pretty muddled story-wise. It is based on a trilogy of books, which may explain why so much did not make sense.
Old 03-17-21, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

LA county theaters re-opened today and I went to see this at a local mall.

It was okay. Good visuals, some good production and has a good cast. Story was a little muddled. The thing I did find annoying was the "thinking out loud" stuff with the smoke clouds. That started to get really annoying after a while. There were two young girls sitting a row behind me who walked out after 45 minutes. I guess they hated it?

I don't understand why this movie had to go through 2 sets of reshoots though. I have to think Lionsgate was just not confident with the initial product or they got some very mixed reaction from the test screenings. This should not have been a $100M plus movie. That's blockbuster movie money. This should have been a mid-budget movie at most.
Old 03-17-21, 08:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 235 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

It was okay. Good visuals, some good production and has a good cast. Story was a little muddled. The thing I did find annoying was the "thinking out loud" stuff with the smoke clouds. That started to get really annoying after a while. There were two young girls sitting a row behind me who walked out after 45 minutes. I guess they hated it?

I don't understand why this movie had to go through 2 sets of reshoots though. I have to think Lionsgate was just not confident with the initial product or they got some very mixed reaction from the test screenings. This should not have been a $100M plus movie. That's blockbuster movie money. This should have been a mid-budget movie at most.
god, with that cast, Mads, my boy and Liman I would have hope for gold. Really want to see.
Old 03-17-21, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 391 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

I’m guessing those two girls heard what you were thinking ...

As for the reshoots ... it was adapted from a trilogy of books written for the 12u crowd ... it had many, many rewrites (before, during, and after shooting). My guess is they couldn’t get the story figured out (for an older audience?) but kept pressing ahead anyway.

Edit: after reading the Wikipedia entry for the books ... wow, they gutted it.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 03-17-21 at 10:37 PM.