DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Serenity (2019, D: Steven Knight) S: McConaughey, Hathaway, Clarke, Lane, Hounsou (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/640870-serenity-2019-d-steven-knight-s-mcconaughey-hathaway-clarke-lane-hounsou.html)

dex14 07-28-17 07:46 AM

Serenity (2019, D: Steven Knight) S: McConaughey, Hathaway, Clarke, Lane, Hounsou

:::Insert predictable joke about thinking this is related to Firefly:::

http://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/fi...h_2017-red.jpg

Why so serious, Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway?

Here, The Hollywood Reporter debuts a first-look image from the upcoming movie Serenity, which features the duo (collaborating for the first time since Interstellar) with intense facial expressions — and a new blonde hair color for Hathaway.

The upcoming mystery tale was written and directed by Steven Knight. This is Knight’s third feature-length film as director; he previously directed Locke and Redemption (both with IM Global) and also wrote screenplays for numerous movies including Allied and Burnt.

In Serenity, McConaughey plays a fishing boat captain whose past is about to crash up against his life on a small island in the tropics and ensnare him in a new reality that might not be all it seems to be. The film also stars Jason Clarke, Djimon Hounsou and Diane Lane.

Serenity is currently shooting on location in Mauritius. Guy Heeley and Greg Shapiro are producing the IM Global project.

Ash Ketchum 07-28-17 07:54 AM

re: Serenity (2019, D: Steven Knight) S: McConaughey, Hathaway, Clarke, Lane, Hounsou

This is Knight’s third feature-length film as director; he previously directed Locke and Redemption (both with IM Global) and also wrote screenplays for numerous movies including Allied and Burnt.
The guy sure likes one-word titles. If he has to do a sequel to any of them, he'll be in big trouble.

Dr. DVD 07-28-17 09:22 AM

re: Serenity (2019, D: Steven Knight) S: McConaughey, Hathaway, Clarke, Lane, Hounsou

I knew when I saw the thread title it wasn't what I was hoping :( Never hurts to check.

TomOpus 07-28-17 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 13123250)
I knew when I saw the thread title it wasn't what I was hoping :( Never hurts to check.

True dat

Abob Teff 07-28-17 05:31 PM

So ... is McConaughey playing Mal or the Operative?

Spoiler:
A Firefly joke AND a Dark Tower joke! Boom!

dex14 06-07-18 08:48 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SbrOMrjhyvI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Decker 06-07-18 08:57 AM

That looks pretty cool actually.

melasnus 06-07-18 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13347955)
That looks pretty cool actually.

It does. :thumbsup:

The Bus 06-08-18 12:55 PM

I want to see this. This is exactly the kind of adult-minded mid-budget film that doesn't get made anymore.

d2cheer 06-08-18 02:47 PM

Agree, that does look very good. Never even heard of it.

dex14 01-03-19 07:33 AM

Re: Serenity (2019, D: Steven Knight) S: McConaughey, Hathaway, Clarke, Lane, Hounsou

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...4,1000_AL_.jpg

<iframe width="663" height="373" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pP-hQ5B0DQM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jason Clarke, Djimon Hounsou, Jeremy Strong, Diane Lane

From the creative mind of Oscar nominee Steven Knight comes a daringly original, sexy, stylized thriller. Baker Dill (Academy Award winner Matthew McConaughey) is a fishing boat captain leading tours off a tranquil, tropical enclave called Plymouth Island. His quiet life is shattered, however, when his ex-wife Karen (Academy Award winner Anne Hathaway) tracks him down with a desperate plea for help. She begs Dill to save her – and their young son – from her new, violent husband (Jason Clarke) by taking him out to sea on a fishing excursion, only to throw him to the sharks and leave him for dead. Karen’s appearance thrusts Dill back into a life he’d tried to forget, and as he struggles between right and wrong, his world is plunged into a new reality that may not be all that it seems.

Director: Steven Knight
Writer: Steven Knight

Defiant1 01-03-19 06:42 PM

Re: Serenity (2019, D: Steven Knight) S: McConaughey, Hathaway, Clarke, Lane, Hounsou

January release date - uh oh!

jpcamb 01-04-19 09:07 AM

that looks good to me. I wonder why it got pushed from Oct back to January though....

niffty 01-04-19 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 13123202)
The guy sure likes one-word titles. If he has to do a sequel to any of them, he'll be in big trouble.

Serenities, Locked and Redeemed.

Paff 01-04-19 12:40 PM

And yet oddly enough, this has already grossed more than the Whedon film.

(no hate mail, please, I freakin' love Firefly/Serenity, but mainstream popular it is not)

dex14 01-21-19 09:31 AM

Opens this week.

Osiris3657 01-23-19 06:19 PM

Yikes, hate to see zero reviews this close to release. 9 out of 10 times, that's a bad sign about the quality of the movie :(

dex14 01-23-19 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 13487098)
Yikes, hate to see zero reviews this close to release. 9 out of 10 times, that's a bad sign about the quality of the movie :(

Agreed. I think I’m still going to see this tomorrow night regardless.

Why So Blu? 01-23-19 06:54 PM

Yeah, saw the trailer, and think it looks ok. I'm seeing it tomorrow night.

RichC2 01-24-19 08:39 AM

Reviews started rolling out, currently at 29%. Here's Richard Roeper's 3.5 out of 4 star review: https://chicago.suntimes.com/enterta...anne-hathaway/

One of the middling (negative but just barely) seems to sum up the overall consensus: "...it is clear that Knight is entirely in control, though perhaps not in his right mind."

I kind of want to see this now :lol:

Count Dooku 01-24-19 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13487376)
. Here's Richard Roeper's 3.5 out of 4 star review: https://chicago.suntimes.com/enterta...anne-hathaway/

:

I like Roeper fine but sometimes he is clearly thinking with his dick. I think this time he just has a hard-on for Hathaway with blonde hair.

Maybe I will check this out on February 8th when it hits the discount theater

joeblow69 01-24-19 11:50 AM

Serenity review – the year's first gloriously bad movie is here

Knight has successfully smuggled one of the most gobsmackingly ill-conceived twists in recent history into multiplexes nationwide. To reveal it here would rob the film of a measure of its great and terrible power, so suffice it to say that it would be like It’s A Wonderful Life ending with Jimmy Stewart discovering that everyone in Bedford Falls was a robot.

Ash Ketchum 01-24-19 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by joeblow69 (Post 13487518)
Serenity review – the year's first gloriously bad movie is here

Knight has successfully smuggled one of the most gobsmackingly ill-conceived twists in recent history into multiplexes nationwide. To reveal it here would rob the film of a measure of its great and terrible power, so suffice it to say that it would be like It’s A Wonderful Life ending with Jimmy Stewart discovering that everyone in Bedford Falls was a robot.

What are they talking about? That sounds great!

Decker 01-24-19 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 13487681)
What are they talking about? That sounds great!

:lol: That was exactly my thought!

dex14 01-24-19 04:02 PM

Now I definitely have to see it.