Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brigsby Bear (2017, D: McCary) S: Mooney, Hamill, Danes, Kinnear, Walsh, Watkins

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Brigsby Bear (2017, D: McCary) S: Mooney, Hamill, Danes, Kinnear, Walsh, Watkins

Old 07-24-17, 08:28 AM

After 25 years of secluded existence with his protective parents in their isolated, off-the-grid home, James is tossed out into a new life in relatively daunting Cedar Hills, Utah. As his world upends, the most shocking revelation to James is that he’s the only person who has ever watched his favorite television program, Brigsby Bear Adventures. Struggling to adjust to the show’s abrupt end, he begins to see Brigsby’s lessons as his only way to make sense of a big, scary new world, and James decides to make a movie to end Brigsby’s story—and re-begin his own.

Kyle Mooney (who also co-wrote the film with Kevin Costello) portrays imaginative man-boy James with infectious earnestness, imbuing warmth and humor into James’s efforts to make friends and integrate into his new reality. First-time director Dave McCary balances off-beat comedy with a unique ode to the joys of filmmaking, featuring standout supporting performances by Greg Kinnear—as a friendly detective bitten by the acting bug—and Saturday Night Live alums Andy Samberg and Michaela Watkin
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5805752/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/brigsby_bear_2017
Old 11-16-17, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Brigsby Bear (2017, D: McCary) S: Mooney, Hamill, Danes, Kinnear, Walsh, Watkins

This was hilarious. One of the better movies that came out this year.
Old 01-14-18, 11:11 AM

Re: Brigsby Bear (2017, D: McCary) S: Mooney, Hamill, Danes, Kinnear, Walsh, Watkins

This was such an interesting and original movie. Everyone should try and check it out.
Old 01-14-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
This was such an interesting and original movie. Everyone should try and check it out.
Where is it available right now?
Old 01-14-18, 08:55 PM

I don’t think it’s streaming anywhere. I rented it on Amazon for $5, paid with some credits I had.
Old 01-14-18, 09:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I bought the Blu. Saw a good review. Looking forward to it one day..
Old 01-14-18, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don’t think it’s streaming anywhere. I rented it on Amazon for $5, paid with some credits I had.
It's streaming on Amazon, for $5.
Old 01-14-18, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It's streaming on Amazon, for $5.
Right. That’s what I said. But it isn’t included with Prime.

If you’re trying to be a wise ass, then what I meant to say was it isn’t streaming anywhere that is a paid subscription. Which is what it seemed like they were asking.
Old 01-14-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right. That’s what I said. But it isn’t included with Prime.

If you’re trying to be a wise ass, then what I meant to say was it isn’t streaming anywhere that is a paid subscription.
Not trying, just being. ...
Old 01-14-18, 09:57 PM

Success!
Old 02-12-18, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was such an oddly innocent and heart warming movie.

Didn't realize Lord and Miller were producers on this but it suits them.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-12-18 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-23-18, 05:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Finally watched this.
Guys, it's so good. It could have been really cynical but it was touching and funny. Without giving too much away, there were a couple scenes that I genuinely expected to go in a different direction (with the way people treat James) but I'm so glad it went the route it did.

I suggest going into it as blind as possible.
Old 07-23-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Surprised more people have not seen this.

I thought it was great. Maybe Kyle Mooney will get some respect after being bashed in the SNL threads.