DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   9/11: Charlie Sheen, Whoopi Goldberg. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/640808-9-11-charlie-sheen-whoopi-goldberg.html)

Sonny Corinthos 07-22-17 06:54 AM

9/11: Charlie Sheen, Whoopi Goldberg.

Who in the world thought making a 9/11 movie starring Charlie Sheen and Whoopi Goldberg was a good idea? It looks like a lifetime movie of the week. "9/11" is scheduled to be released on September 8.

TomOpus 07-22-17 07:49 AM

Re: 9/11: Charlie Sheen, Whoopi Goldberg.

From what I've read, it's based on a play called "Elevator." Which, pretty much, is what the trailer shows.

dex14 07-22-17 07:50 AM

You had to be the guy to make a thread for this, huh? Now you've legitimized it! :lol:

Sonny Corinthos 07-22-17 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13118525)
You had to be the guy to make a thread for this, huh? Now you've legitimized it! :lol:

:lol: I was just so stunned when I saw this today, I had to do some research to make sure this wasn't a late April Fool's joke.

Crocker Jarmen 07-22-17 11:19 AM

I like how they managed to use real footage of BOTH the plane crashing into the building and the tower collapsing, for maximum ghoulishness.

And are they being meta by cutting the trailer to look like an exact replica of one produced in the year 2001, or are they just a bunch of hacks?

And why don't they know to add five seconds of black at the end of the video so the buttons don't cover up the title of your freakin' movie?

TomOpus 07-22-17 11:25 AM

I vote "bunch of hacks."

GoldenJCJ 07-22-17 12:09 PM

regardless of his personal life, I've always been a fan of Charlie Sheen but this looks terrible, though Sheen looks like he's doing the best he can with what he's got.

Everything from her terrible wig to her atrocious acting, Whoopi's scenes look like they're straight out of a student film. :lol:

JimRochester 07-22-17 12:12 PM

Interesting. Charlie Sheen is a 9/11 truther, at least he was. He did the narration of one of the conspiracy theory videos.

I often wondered about those people that weren't at their desk. There were people in the elevator, people in the crapper, the last guy to leave the restaurant minutes before the plane hit. Everyone else was still there and probably saw the plane come in. The people that were late to work. Seth McFarlane who was booked on one of the planes and missed it. Not that they would make a movie about someone taking a dump when the walls came in. But sometimes the luck of the draw of where you were when the planes struck, especially at the Pentagon, meant the difference between living or dying. I find that interesting.

TomOpus 07-22-17 12:26 PM

Plenty of people in the elevators of the buildings that were destroyed when Superman and Zod fought. No movie about them :mad:

Bluelitespecial 07-22-17 01:50 PM

Is this the story of the group of people trapped inside one of the elevators on the 'Inside the Twin Towers' documentary that aired on Discovery? It sounds similar.

Groucho 07-22-17 01:58 PM

From the director of National Lampoon's Cattle Call!

Troy Stiffler 07-22-17 05:37 PM

I'm wondering why the elevator plummets. When "off", elevator brakes are in a "gripped" position. Unless the elevator fell with the rest of the building.

Or does Whoopie Goldberg play a serial killer who's playing with victims on the worst possible day?

Also: too soon (still).

Nick Danger 07-22-17 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 13118798)
Also: too soon (still).

But at sixteen years it's close. Hogan's Heroes 1965, twenty years after the end of the war. MASH movie, 1970, eighteen years after the end of the war. MASH television series, 1972, twenty years after the end of the war. Good Morning Vietnam 1987, twelve years after the end of the war.

B5Erik 07-22-17 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 13118607)
I like how they managed to use real footage of BOTH the plane crashing into the building and the tower collapsing, for maximum ghoulishness.

I would say that showing those things is totally necessary. We've been so protected from the factual horror of that event over the last 16 years that we've forgotten what it was really like. It's a strong memory, but a distant one at the same time and a lot of people don't really remember just how shocking and horrifying this event was - and kids who have grown up since then have no real idea at all. News networks won't show the footage anymore (and haven't for 15 years, mostly), so they only place you can see it is on YouTube - but how many people actually look that stuff up?

If I made a movie about 9/11 I'd show it all. The planes flying towards the buildings, the impact, people jumping off, the buildings collapsing - everything. People need to remember just how awful that event was and why it's so important to stop something like that from happening again in our lifetimes.

As far as how good this movie is or isn't, I have no idea. It doesn't look great, but it doesn't look all that bad, either. I've seen a hell of a lot worse in my lifetime. It's probably not very good, but it it just about time to start making movies about this subject that really show the event for what it was, not some sanitized, safe version.

I'm all for a Tora Tora Tora kind of movie on 9/11. Just like at Pearl Harbor there were warning signs before the event happened (dots were there to be connected), and like Pearl Harbor the event itself changed history.

OldBoy 07-22-17 08:34 PM

No way this sees theatrical release...

GoldenJCJ 07-22-17 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13118889)
I would say that showing those things is totally necessary. We've been so protected from the factual horror of that event over the last 16 years that we've forgotten what it was really like. It's a strong memory, but a distant one at the same time and a lot of people don't really remember just how shocking and horrifying this event was - and kids who have grown up since then have no real idea at all. News networks won't show the footage anymore (and haven't for 15 years, mostly), so they only place you can see it is on YouTube - but how many people actually look that stuff up?

If I made a movie about 9/11 I'd show it all. The planes flying towards the buildings, the impact, people jumping off, the buildings collapsing - everything. People need to remember just how awful that event was and why it's so important to stop something like that from happening again in our lifetimes.

As far as how good this movie is or isn't, I have no idea. It doesn't look great, but it doesn't look all that bad, either. I've seen a hell of a lot worse in my lifetime. It's probably not very good, but it it just about time to start making movies about this subject that really show the event for what it was, not some sanitized, safe version.

I'm all for a Tora Tora Tora kind of movie on 9/11. Just like at Pearl Harbor there were warning signs before the event happened (dots were there to be connected), and like Pearl Harbor the event itself changed history.

And people seem to forget that on 9/11 every news organization played that footage on a continuous loop for 24 hours straight while most Americans were glued to their TVs watching it.

Maybe it's more of a sign of the times we live in today that people are suddenly now offended when they see it.

B5Erik 07-22-17 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13118913)
And people seem to forget that on 9/11 every news organization played that footage on a continuous loop for 24 hours straight while most Americans were glued to their TVs watching it.

Maybe it's more of a sign of the times we live in today that people are suddenly now offended when they see it.

A sad sign of the times.

9/11 was 16 years ago. That's a long time to ignore something like that. People need to remember. Kids need to learn. It was a defining moment in this country's history (just like Pearl Harbor was). People were not afraid to look at or offended by footage of the Pearl Harbor attack in 1945 or 1955, and people shouldn't get their panties in a bunch now when the 9/11 attack footage is shown.