Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spawn Movie Reboot -- News, Updates, Wishful Thinking

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spawn Movie Reboot -- News, Updates, Wishful Thinking

Old 07-05-18, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Spawn Movie Reboot -- News, Updates, Wishful Thinking

Renner, Foxx...sheesh, I'm in, I don't care how bad it is (and here is hoping that it's not). Loved the comic book and super duper loved the HBO cartoon series.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (10-05-22)
Old 07-05-18, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I’ve got to admit this sounds intriguing, particular the take on it that MacFarlane is putting forth. The biggest drawback to me is Jamie Foxx. I’ve never cared for his work. He is one of those actors that I can never see the character, I only see him. In my opinion, he was the weak element of Baby Driver (a movie I l love) and he was downright awful in Amazing Spider-Man 2. I tolerated him in Collateral, but still didn’t like him.

I don’t see this as Blumhouse “taking a chance” — low budget, high volume is their MO. It is unusual for them to get a previously existing “known” property though.
Old 07-05-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I don’t see this as Blumhouse “taking a chance” — low budget, high volume is their MO. It is unusual for them to get a previously existing “known” property though.
Not terribly unusual anymore I guess. Blumhouse is also producing the new Halloween movie as well.
Old 07-05-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

wait McFarlane is directing? Does he know how to do that ?
Old 07-05-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He directed three music videos from 1998-2002 (Korn and Pearl Jam)... Does that count?

It does seem odd someone with any experience with feature films wouldn't be chosen instead, but I guess McFarlane wants as much control over his property as possible, especially after what happened with the first movie.
Old 07-05-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Not terribly unusual anymore I guess. Blumhouse is also producing the new Halloween movie as well.
Really? Has the property fallen that far?

(I’m not a horror fan when it comes to the mainstream properties.)
Old 07-05-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

He directed three music videos from 1998-2002 (Korn and Pearl Jam)... Does that count?

It does seem odd someone with any experience with feature films wouldn't be chosen instead, but I guess McFarlane wants as much control over his property as possible, especially after what happened with the first movie.
Well, considering that the first Spawn was directed by a VFX artist without any directorial experience, could it be any worse?
Old 07-05-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
wait McFarlane is directing? Does he know how to do that ?
It’s probably not unlike Frank Miller co-directing Sin City and subsequently bombing on his solo with “The Spirit”.
Old 07-05-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I'm pretty sure those were all animated music videos too.
Old 07-05-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Well, considering that the first Spawn was directed by a VFX artist without any directorial experience, could it be any worse?
Just quoting for later use.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I'm pretty sure those were all animated music videos too.
Well, now I'm sold!
Old 07-05-18, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Am I the only one who sees a problem with the title?
Old 07-05-18, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Am I the only one who sees a problem with the title?

It's said Seth McFarlane for weeks now.
Old 07-09-18, 04:48 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Jeremy Renner confirmed
https://deadline.com/2018/07/spawn-m...um-1202423329/
Old 07-09-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's said Seth McFarlane for weeks now.
Wait, it’s not Seth MacFarlane? You guys seriously are saying it’s the guy that makes action figures of hockey players?!

John Pannozzi (10-05-22)
Old 08-29-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

AUGUST 29, 2018 11:00am PT by Borys Kit
'Walking Dead's' Greg Nicotero Joins Todd McFarlane's 'Spawn' Movie as Creature Designer

Greg Nicotero, the special effects artist who also directs episodes of AMC’s The Walking Dead, is joining Todd McFarlane for the new Spawn movie.

McFarlane, the comic creator who originated the Spawn character, is making his directorial debut on the supernatural horror movie, which is being produced by Blumhouse. Jamie Foxx and Jeremy Renner will star in the pic.

Nicotero and his effects company KNB EFX will create a new Spawn design for the feature project.

The move is a reunion of sorts as Nicotero and KNB EFX Group worked on the 1997 Spawn movie that was made by New Line.

“I'm a longtime fan of Greg’s work and the projects his company, KNB, have done throughout the years,” McFarlane said in making the announcement of the hire. “Working with him once again, to re-invent the Spawn 'look' so it will match the supernatural theme in the movie, is going to be a fun process.”

Nicotero and his KNB have worked on The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead, as well as Preacher. His recent movie work includes Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight, Pete Berg’s Lone Survivor, Eli Roth’s The Green Inferno and Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg’s This Is the End. He got his start with George Romero’s 1985 zombie movie Day of the Dead.

Foxx is set to star as Al Simmons, a black-ops agent who is betrayed and murdered, with his soul sent to hell for all the innocents he killed. He makes a deal with a demon who allows him to return to earth and see his wife, but in a cruel twist, five years have now passed and his wife has moved on. Simmons now roams the earth as a disfigured superpowered spawn of Hell who is trapped in the middle of a war between Heaven and Hell.
Old 08-29-18, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 08-29-18, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

Would someone please fix the director in the thread title.
Old 10-24-18, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-24-18, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So this shit will come out sometime in 2020 or 2021? Will anyone really give a fuck? Issue #1 came out way back in '92. It's gonna be almost 30 years by the time the new film hits.
Old 10-25-18, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

This will never get made. I'd put money on it.
Old 10-25-18, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Do movies where they reveal plot points, and try to get the audience on board with the overall tone, and claim to offer a “fresh take” years before it come out (if ever) ever work out?

Bill and Ted 3, Beetlejuice 2, this, any other cultish movie in development hell with a cast member trying to get back on the screen. I remember some no name producer trying to get a Phantom reboot going in like 2003, and offered “matrix style” action.
Old 10-29-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

'Spawn': Todd McFarlane Open To Selling Movie To Netflix

Although production on Todd McFarlane's Spawn reboot doesn't begin for another eight months, the writer, producer, and new director is already focusing on the future. While getting ready for Spawn production to ramp up, McFarlane sat down with ComicBook.com to talk about the future of his creator-owned characters.

When it comes to Al Simmons and his supporting cast of characters, McFarlane says his creation might have a future home at Netflix — or any other streaming service, for that matter.

“Yes to all of the above," McFarlane confirmed when asked if he'd ever sell a Spawn property to a streaming service. "I think the world’s changing in front of our very eyes in how we’re going to consume not only entertainment, but even movies."

"There might be a day when you hit a button and Star Wars is on your computer and you won’t have to go to the theatre."

At the end of the day, McFarlane simply wants fans of his characters to consume the movies and shows he makes, regardless of the means in which they consume the entertainment.

"I want human beings to see it," McFarlane reflected. "Whatever that device is, whatever that delivery mechanism is, I’m not going to get married to a distribution model that may not be as relevant or as efficient because that’s how you used to do it. I’ll talk to all of them.”

During a previous interview with ComicBook.com, McFarlane revealed that Spawn won't necessarily look like Michael Jai White's interpretation of the character from the 1997 movie.

"Does Spawn have a dark mask and his body dark and then does he have a cape in the comic books? Yes, yes, yes. Will he have all of that in the movie? Yes, yes, yes," McFarlane told us. "So it's not like I'm going to give him wings instead of a cape and I'm not going to give him no mask instead of a mask. There's no going to be any of that. It just won't be exactly what a hardcore fan is used to.

"But I'm hoping that people who just go and are familiar with Spawn will say, 'Yeah, it's in the box.' And people who know nothing about Spawn will go, 'Wow, that's cool.' And I have to design for film goers not for comic book fans because the film goers are going to be bigger than the pool of the comic book fans."

Spawn will feature Jamie Foxx as the film's titular character with Avengers star Jeremy Renner set to play the fan-favorite detective Twitch.
https://comicbook.com/movies/2018/10...spawn-netflix/

Seems that Todd can almost walk out of this deal with Blumhouse at any given time if he's talking about talking to the streaming companies, or wants to talk.

Seems like lopper was on the right track - I would rather it be a NEtflix production myself.
Old 10-29-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There might be a day when you hit a button and Star Wars is on your computer and you won’t have to go to the theatre."
Uh ... like ... uh ... today?

"I want human beings to see it," McFarlane reflected.
Oh. Thankfully he hasn’t given up and started making films for our robot overlords.
John Pannozzi (10-05-22)
Old 08-15-21, 03:47 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

The long-in-the-works Spawn movie is back in action.

Brian Tucker, who penned the 2013 Russell Crowe and Mark Wahlberg crime thriller Broken City, has been hired to write the script for the feature project.

Jason Blum’s Blumhouse Productions is behind the feature which has Todd McFarlane, the creator of the comic and character, attached as director.

Blum and McFarlane are producing. Carla Hacken is executive producing.

The project has been percolating since 2017 and, at one point, had Jamie Foxx attached to star as the titular character and Jeremy Renner as a detective nicknamed Twitch. However, because time has passed since their initial boarding, it is unclear if the actors are still involved. Insiders say they could be re-approached after a script is written. McFarlane wrote the initial script which attracted the actors.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...er-1234997780/
Old 08-15-21, 03:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

He’s rebooting his own putrid movie? Who thought that was a good idea?? Has a writer/creator ever rebooted his own dismal movie before?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.