DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Dr. Doom - News, Rumors, etc. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/640795-dr-doom-news-rumors-etc.html)

devilshalo 07-20-17 08:38 PM

Dr. Doom - News, Rumors, etc.

Noah Hawley Developing Doctor Doom Movie for Fox
Senior TV Reporter Daniel Holloway @gdanielholloway
JULY 20, 2017 | 06:06PM PT

“Legion” and “Fargo” creator Noah Hawley is developing a movie at Fox involving Fantastic Four villain Doctor Doom.

At the end of a Comic-Con panel for “Legion” Thursday, Hawley announced that he was developing a new film at Fox — one that he wouldn’t say too much about. “I’ll just say two words. The first one is Doctor and the next one is Doom,” he said.

Marvel Comics character Doctor Doom is mostly known as the archvillain of the Fantastic Four. Fox owns the rights to the Fantastic Four characters, in addition to the X-Men (the characters of Hawley’s “Legion” hail from the franchise), and released its first Fantastic Four movie in 2005.

That film, starring Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans, and Michael Chiklis, spawned a 2007 sequel, “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.” The studio took a big hit, both critically and commercially, with the widely panned reboot of the franchise in 2015. The most recent “Fantastic Four” starred Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan, and Jamie Bell, and grossed just $167 million worldwide on a production budget of $125 million.

Fox has found success, however, with its other superhero properties. “Deadpool” was a massive hit last year, with Ryan Reynolds returning for the inevitable sequel. Meanwhile, its final Wolverine film, “Logan,” garnered critical acclaim and box office success earlier this year.

Doctor Doom, a genius sorcerer who wears a mask to cover up his disfigured face, has appeared on the big screen before. Julian McMahon played the villain in the 2005 and 2007 films, while Toby Kebbell took on the role in the 2015 reboot.

Hawley’s “Legion” will return to FX for a second season next year. The showrunner also recently wrapped production on the third installment of “Fargo.”

mwbmis 07-20-17 08:42 PM

Re: Dr. Doom - News, Rumors, etc.

Well, if they gave him the freedom to make it, Hawley probably wouldn't fuck it up.

Deftones 07-20-17 09:10 PM

Give him complete creative control, I'm in. Outside of that, no thanks.

Mike86 07-20-17 11:13 PM

I just don't see the appeal of these comic films based on villains solely. At least with the Venom film he's kind of an antihero and can face other villains like Carnage. What the hell is a movie about Dr. Doom really going to be about without the Fantastic Four? The only reason Fox is doing this is because they have to do something with the property to retain the rights and since they fucked up so bad last time a sequel is out and it would look dumb to reboot yet again.

TheMovieman 07-20-17 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13117716)
The only reason Fox is doing this is because they have to do something with the property to retain the rights and since they fucked up so bad last time a sequel is out and it would look dumb to reboot yet again.

http://i.imgur.com/edBQBeJ.gif

Paul_SD 07-21-17 06:24 AM

I can envision a really cool Dr Doom movie.

In fact, this would also be the smartest way to reboot FF yet again- just make them tangential to Dooms story.
Lot of interesting ways to go with Doom though- geopolitical conflict/ Game of Thrones style political infighting/ the mixing of science and sorcery...

Lots of potential here.

Josh-da-man 07-21-17 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 13117787)

In fact, this would also be the smartest way to reboot FF yet again- just make them tangential to Dooms story.
Lot of interesting ways to go with Doom though- geopolitical conflict/ Game of Thrones style political infighting/ the mixing of science and sorcery...

Lots of potential here.

Yes. Fox should cut a deal with Disney, like Sony did with Spider-Man, and they could have Fantastic Four franchise, a Doom Franchise, and a Silver Surfer franchise. Potentially nine or more hit films.

Doctor Doom vs Doctor Strange
Silver Surfer meets Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers vs Doom
Silver Surfer vs Mephisto
FF and MCU vs Galactus

LorenzoL 07-21-17 06:58 AM

As much as I want Fox to cut a deal just like Sony did with Marvel, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon as Fox seems to have a more antagonistic relationship with them thanks to the X-Men franchise.

B5Erik 07-21-17 09:06 AM

Doctor Doom is basically the dark side of Iron Man. He's a genuis who wears weaponized armor and can fly.

Fox has never understood that.

DVD Josh 07-21-17 09:25 AM

I hope this is a tragic love story.

PhantomStranger 07-21-17 12:54 PM

Doom's story and background is hopelessly entangled with the Fantastic Four, particularly Reed Richards.

The problem is that Hollywood is clearly embarrassed by an adult Doom's iconic costume and face mask. Which is how we ended up with the 2015 abomination.

One thing is for certain, Fox won't spend much getting Doom out. So expect small-scale drama.

Paul_SD 07-21-17 12:58 PM

Yeah Fox seems a lot more intransigent about working in conjunction with Marvel. I think there's a good bit of billionaire ego involved too.
They'll be a-holes about it because they can be.

Post Thanos, Doom would have worked great as a prime mover/big bad for a next cycle of films- pulling the strings that put other villains in play or orchestrating complications for different characters.

Of all the dumb ideas Fox has come up with regarding the Marvel properties, focusing on a Doom specific feature ain't one of 'em.

RichC2 07-21-17 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13118048)
One thing is for certain, Fox won't spend much getting Doom out. So expect small-scale drama.

Welp, they hired the right guy to make that happen amazingly well. Plus it'll look fantastic.

Mike86 07-21-17 01:26 PM

In theory a film about Doom should be good as he's one of the great Marvel villains however I don't feel like he works well on his own. Most super villains don't have much to work with on their own really. I mean there's nothing else really they can tie in with that's interesting enough being as they only have access to a small portion of Marvel characters. Plus they've not only messed up Fantastic Four twice but Doom along with them twice. I don't see this being any better. Even if this film is a character piece I still think it'll be hard to pull off without using the Fantastic Four.

Giantrobo 07-21-17 01:46 PM

Never ever understood the appeal of Dr. Doom. Can't see this being any good.

TheMovieman 07-21-17 01:55 PM

Normally I wouldn't think this would happen, but as Mike said, Fox wants to keep the rights so they'll throw something together.

fumanstan 07-21-17 02:15 PM

A Dr. Doom movie doesn't interest me at all. I'd rather them do the Fantastic Four reboot or whatever that involved Franklin and Valeria Richards.

Jason 07-21-17 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 13117787)

Lots of potential here.

Absolutely. Show his rise to power, using his scientific genius not to save the world, but make the citizens of Latveria dependent on him and all he asks in return is their absolute loyalty. Show him dabbling in the occult, doombots, the works.

And in the post credit scene, he picks up a news paper and sees a story about a strange group of heroes who have just publicly emerged in New York City. His eye is drawn to the photo, and we hear him shout "RICHARDS!!!!!" Hard cut to black.

rw2516 07-21-17 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13117842)
Doctor Doom is basically the dark side of Iron Man. He's a genuis who wears weaponized armor and can fly.

Fox has never understood that.

I'd say Doom is the dark Reed Richards. The two smartest men on Earth. Doom blames Richards for everything bad that's ever happened to him. His greatest goal in life is to prove himself smarter than Richards and defeat him.

They could have a Richards cameo for the part where Doom gets disfigured.

Since Doom became Doom years before the F.F. were created this could lead into an F.F. reboot. His origin etc. could he skipped over in the F.F. film.

B5Erik 07-21-17 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 13118176)
I'd say Doom is the dark Reed Richards. The two smartest men on Earth. Doom blames Richards for everything bad that's ever happened to him. His greatest goal in life is to prove himself smarter than Richards and defeat him.

They could have a Richards cameo for the part where Doom gets disfigured.

Since Doom became Doom years before the F.F. were created this could lead into an F.F. reboot. His origin etc. could he skipped over in the F.F. film.

Part Richards, part Stark, part egomaniacal megalomaniac - with a dark gray Iron Man suit.

That's the part Fox keeps missing. He is Dark Iron Man when it comes to the armor and abilities.

Nick Danger 07-21-17 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13118095)
Never ever understood the appeal of Dr. Doom. Can't see this being any good.

Doom is a smart, hardworking guy. He overcomes obstacles that would defeat almost anyone else. He does his best to take good care of his small home country. He's proud of that.

The downside is that he thinks the best way to take care of his country is to rule it like an Albanian dictator. It's the 21st century and the farmers still use oxcarts. And he gets irrational when he thinks about Reed Richards. So when he's not keeping himself busy, he broods.

I think that Doom and Magneto are the most interesting villains that Marvel has.

Giantrobo 07-21-17 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 13118204)
Doom is a smart, hardworking guy. He overcomes obstacles that would defeat almost anyone else. He does his best to take good care of his small home country. He's proud of that.

The downside is that he thinks the best way to take care of his country is to rule it like an Albanian dictator. It's the 21st century and the farmers still use oxcarts. And he gets irrational when he thinks about Reed Richards. So when he's not keeping himself busy, he broods.

I think that Doom and Magneto are the most interesting villains that Marvel has.

If you say so.

Magneto is AWESOME though. :up: Dr. Doom is Meh for me. Kinda silly actually.

rw2516 07-21-17 04:26 PM

They could do his origin with the gypsy sorcerery stuff, then concoct some plot with Diablo over some kind of sorcery artifact. I believe Diablo has east European origins also. Diablo could create Dragon Man with the artifact and have Doombots battle Dragon Man. They could toss in Darkoth the Demon also.

majorjoe23 07-21-17 06:36 PM

They need to skip any Doom origin stuff. We've gotten that twice and they screwed it up both times. Start with Doom as the ruler of Latveria, already wearing the mask and fill in any blanks that are needed as they go.

That way you can also bypass any dumb "Normal guy with the name Von Doom" stuff. Start with him as a badass and get right to the good stuff.

Josh-da-man 07-21-17 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 13118053)
Yeah Fox seems a lot more intransigent about working in conjunction with Marvel. I think there's a good bit of billionaire ego involved too.
They'll be a-holes about it because they can be.

Yeah. They'll keep making shitty Fantastic Four movies that bomb at the box office and lose money just to spite Marvel. It's really fucking insane.

I don't know if they're pissed because Disney bought Star Wars out from under them or what, and hanging onto the Marvel properties they have is the only way to get back at them.

I can understand keeping the X-Men because they've managed to turn that into a hit franchise, but the FF is another story.