Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Adam (2022, D: Collet-Serra) -- S: Dwayne Johnson

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black Adam (2022, D: Collet-Serra) -- S: Dwayne Johnson

Old 10-07-22, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Re: Black Adam (2022, D: Collet-Serra) -- S: Dwayne Johnson

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Spoiler:
Supposedly Cavill appears in a brightly colored version of the MOS suit, introduced by the John Williams theme. The scene is said to end with Cavill saying "Black Adam, we need to talk."

It sucks the red & blue suit puts the final nail in the coffin of ZSJL but I'm not thrilled with the use of Williams' score. It's iconic but I feel it should stay in the Dinner and Donner-adjacent movies.

IF true I may actually see this in the theater just for that.
Someone confirm when released.
Old 10-07-22, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Spoiler:
Supposedly Cavill appears in a brightly colored version of the MOS suit, introduced by the John Williams theme. The scene is said to end with Cavill saying "Black Adam, we need to talk."

It sucks the red & blue suit puts the final nail in the coffin of ZSJL but I'm not thrilled with the use of Williams' score. It's iconic but I feel it should stay in the Dinner and Donner-adjacent movies.

Spoiler:
Nah, it's going on 50 years at this point. Williams theme is as much a part of Superman at this point as the S or the cape.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (10-10-22)
Old 10-08-22, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Spoiler:
Nah, it's going on 50 years at this point. Williams theme is as much a part of Superman at this point as the S or the cape.

Spoiler:
Like I said, it's undeniably iconic. But I feel it doesn't mesh well with the MOS iteration. Check even the TAS and JLU versions didn't use the theme. Ditto for most (if not all) the DTV animated movies.

Last edited by story; 10-08-22 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-08-22, 08:59 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Johnson/Reeves 2024
Old 10-08-22, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I’m giving this a shot but frankly, I’m just not feeling it, so to speak.
Old 10-08-22, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Iím giving this a shot but frankly, Iím just not feeling it, so to speak.
I'm in the same boat. As I've mentioned before, I'm more excited about Dr. Fate, Hawkman and the rest of the JSA. That being said, I'm curious to see how this fits (and helps continue) the DCEU.
Spoiler:
I'm hoping this takes place before BvS, thus justifying Superman wearing the red and blue suit without contradicting ZSJL. Afterall, the MOS suit is a lot more colorful than the Snyder films would lead you to believe.

Old 10-08-22, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Spoiler:
Clark can wear the blue suit post ZSJL, why not? Black suit in the comics was the recovery suit anyway.

The following 2 users liked this post by stingermck:
IBJoel (10-18-22), PhantomStranger (10-10-22)
Old 10-08-22, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
Spoiler:
Clark can wear the blue suit post ZSJL, why not? Black suit in the comics was the recovery suit anyway.

Spoiler:
That is indeed what it is in the comics. However, it is traditional Kryptonian garb in the MoS/BvS/ZSJL continuity. People forget Clark also wears a black suit when Zod enters his mind to persuade him to join in the terraforming of Earth, during one scene of MoS. The red and blue suit is meant to appeal to humans. When Clark wears the black suit in ZSJL he's embracing his Kryptonian heritage. It's only after he's influenced by the Anti-Life Equation that he reverts to the red and blue suit, as he serves as a herald of Darkseid.

Old 10-08-22, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup I had forgotten. Because its all dumb.
The following 2 users liked this post by stingermck:
IBJoel (10-18-22), Obi-Wanma (10-08-22)
Old 10-08-22, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup I had forgotten. Because its all dumb.
To each their own.
Old 10-08-22, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

This movie is an oddity in my opinion. Iím curious about it because of how long itís been in development, but it also looks like a generic movie starring The Rock that also happens to be a comic book film, and one that doesnít look incredibly unique at that. Iíll probably see it but Iím not overly enthused about it.
IBJoel (10-18-22)
Old 10-08-22, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To each their own.
I'm just saying Snyder fans don't need to lose it if he's wearing Blue.

Originally Posted by Mike86
This movie is an oddity in my opinion. Iím curious about it because of how long itís been in development, but it also looks like a generic movie starring The Rock that also happens to be a comic book film, and one that doesnít look incredibly unique at that. Iíll probably see it but Iím not overly enthused about it.
I agree it is an oddity. Sure Rock is the biggest hype man for his movies but all this "balance of power will change in DCU" rubs me wrong. It's just Black Adam. It's not a top tier character. It's not Superman. But you know Rock would love to be lead in DC.
IBJoel (10-18-22)
Old 10-08-22, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I get it. It's just a continuity issue that irks me. To be honest, when Clark opens his shirt to reveal the S at the end, I would have preferred Snyder had kept him in the red and blue suit for that scene. The emblem pops so much better when it's red.

I agree it is an oddity. Sure Rock is the biggest hype man for his movies but all this "balance of power will change in DCU" rubs me wrong. It's just Black Adam. It's not a top tier character. It's not Superman. But you know Rock would love to be lead in DC.
That's my same issue. I like Black Adam but not for the reasons the Rock imagines. It's as if he thinks he's playing Darkseid. He's interesting because he's a pragmatist. Not because he's some iconic powerhouse (which he's not). Heck, I wouldn't even call him an anti-hero.
Old 10-08-22, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Yeah, I feel like the character really isnít even all that deserving of his own film truly, and I think thatís a problem.

The Rock is most certainly a star and can carry a film easily, but Black Adam isnít some beloved character that weíre all itching to see. At best he seems like a b rate character and because a huge actor is attached to play him weíre supposed to care.

I feel like The Rock could have played a variety of other characters if he wanted a part in the DCEU and Black Adam should have been relegated to a villain in a Shazam film.
Old 10-08-22, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Black Adam should have been relegated to a villain in a Shazam film.
That was the plan when Shazam! was being made. In fact, Dwayne Johnson was the first actor that was cast for that movie. Then all of a sudden he insisted the character should have a solo film instead and he managed to convince the WB execs back then of the same. Which, now that I think of it, fits the topsy-turvy DCEU mindset. Heroes don't get solo introductory movies before their big team up film and now a villain gets a solo film with no intention of ever having him battle his hero nemesis in any subsequent film. Afterall, the Rock is presumably pushing for not only a Black Adam vs Superman movie, it's claimed he also wants a movie where the Justice League and Suicide Squad team up to fight Black Adam. That's ridiculously over-the-top for such a second tier character.
Old 10-10-22, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It is a little difficult getting excited for a Black Adam movie without Captain Marvel in sight. I wish we had gotten a cameo or something of Johnson in a preceding film.

And Shazam 2 looks like it will have nothing to do with this movie. Heavy focus on Mary Marvel in that one.
IBJoel (10-18-22)
Old 10-11-22, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-11-22, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

The Snyderverse is dead. What Snyder fans think at this point is irrelevant.
Old 10-11-22, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The Snyderverse is dead. What Snyder fans think at this point is irrelevant.
Can't call myself a fan of everything he does (300 is fun but overrated and Sucker Punch is terrible) but I really enjoyed MoS, BvS:UE, and ZSJL. I don't necessarily need him to return as director but would like to see the continuity and story threads he established to remain canon and continue alongside the future DCEU.

On a totally different subject, since when does the helmet of Nabu lack eyeholes?

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-11-22 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-11-22, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here are two tracks from the score by Lorne Balfe:

Old 10-12-22, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Can't call myself a fan of everything he does (300 is fun but overrated and Sucker Punch is terrible) but I really enjoyed MoS, BvS:UE, and ZSJL. I don't necessarily need him to return as director but would like to see the continuity and story threads he established to remain canon and continue alongside the future DCEU.
WB doesn't really give a shit about ZSJL. That was done by HBO Max as content for their service. Be happy that you got it. Nothing from it is continuing forward.
Old 10-12-22, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Forget the name, he isn't coming back (for the best) - but we have four more movies coming set in the existing universe, and if rumors are true (and this film works out) we'll have more coming after that. If rumors are true I do like what WB is doing trying to strengthen the upcoming movies with added scenes/cameos.
Old 10-12-22, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Yeah, I feel like the character really isnít even all that deserving of his own film truly, and I think thatís a problem.

The Rock is most certainly a star and can carry a film easily, but Black Adam isnít some beloved character that weíre all itching to see. At best he seems like a b rate character and because a huge actor is attached to play him weíre supposed to care.

I feel like The Rock could have played a variety of other characters if he wanted a part in the DCEU and Black Adam should have been relegated to a villain in a Shazam film.
I think Black Adam does have high visibility with the changes they've made for him since around the time of Geoff Johns JSA, and I have a hard time thinking of another prominent DC hero that the Rock would fit better as without, let's say, a lot of complaints from a certain section of the fanbase. Maybe I'm missing someone. And even if he is a b-tier character, his powerset certainly isn't and it's not like we haven't seen b-tier superheroes have success.

But heck it gets the JSA on the screen in some fashion so let's go b-tier.
Old 10-12-22, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

The Black Adam world premiere is tonight. Not sure if people attending are under NDA, but since the movie doesn’t officially open for 9 more days, please don’t seek out spoilers, screen grabs and post them here. Even in spoiler tags. Just a small request.
Old 10-12-22, 06:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

What’s the Black Adam/Shazam! connection? I know same lightning bolt, but I don’t know the lore.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.