Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you're so sick of you could never stand to watch again?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-25-18, 11:06 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

i'm talking either so many viewings that you would just never want to watch again or slightly vomit at the thought or perhaps you see them on tv so many times and looks so awful you just skip by it with venom and disgust.

now, while i wouldn't say disgust, i really can't stand to watch even small portions of A Christmas Story anymore. i mean i don't know how many times i've seen in entirety, but of course background on xmas or something. but, now just seeing it run 24/7 on 2 stations, i'm just repulsed to put it on even.

you have any like that?
Old 12-25-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Movies you're so sick of you could never stand to watch again?

I want to say all of the Star Wars prequels (Phantom, attack, etc). But not enough to vomit.

I do have a small list of movies I hate but Star Wars prequels rank top on that list.
Old 12-25-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

If I don't care for a movie, I don't keep watching it. So, I've never gotten to that point.
Old 12-25-18, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

The most I have seen any single movie is maybe 6-8 times max, and there are very few I have watched that many times, so I haven't reached that level of disgust.
Old 12-25-18, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 153 Posts

Never stand to watch again is a high hurdle, but there are a lot of movies that I had on VHS in late HS and college that I watched so many times that I just really don't watch them anymore.

Movies like the Hunt for Red October, The Untouchabes, the first three Indy movies (I don't watch the fourth one either, but not for the same reason) and others from that era. It's not that I don't still like these movies; it's just that I think I saw them too many times in a certain window of my life.

The first Lethal Weapon is also a movie that would qualify, but I did just watch my (years old) Blu-Ray copy of that for the first time this week.
Old 12-25-18, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
If I don't care for a movie, I don't keep watching it. So, I've never gotten to that point.
Pretty much this. Even if I liked a movie from awhile ago and watched it a lot I'll still like to watch it. I remember when I was a kid and got the Land Before Time on VHS and watched that every day for a solid month.

Too many movies and not enough time so I don't really get sick of movies.
Old 12-26-18, 06:52 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

If I don't like it, I don't buy it. If I blind buy it and don't like it, I sell it. Any other movies I buy because they have rewatch value. Years down the road if I decide a movie doesn't really mean enough to me to keep it in my collection, I'll get rid of it either by selling or taking to The Exchange for credit I can use for something I really want. Come to think of it, it's time to prune again. I've almost filled up my 4th bookcase, I don't want to buy, nor do I want to devote any more room for additional bookcases.

If you'd have said music I'd have replied with Stairway to Heaven and/or Angie...

Last edited by kd5; 12-26-18 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-26-18, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Too many movies and not enough time so I don't really get sick of movies.
Old 12-26-18, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

I think a lot of Christmas movies that are considered mainstream classics I have a hard time watching every year as they are so played out. Home Alone, Polar Express, Christmas Vacation I can only watch every few years or so.
Old 12-26-18, 09:36 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I’ve certainly watched The Wizard of Oz enough that I don’t think I ever need to revisit it.
Old 12-26-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I'm not "sick" of them as in I don't like them, but 80s movies like The Goonies and Back to the Future I've seen so many times that I'd never put them in to just watch again. We used to watch the VHS tape, rewind it and then watch it again. Great movies, but I would rather watch things I haven't seen or at least haven't seen as much.
Old 12-26-18, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

The Constantly revised Original Star Wars Trilogy, I only watch the Non Anamorphic dvds of the unaltered trilogy now. I would like to find the fan edits but kind of scared to do so.
Old 12-26-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm not "sick" of them as in I don't like them, but 80s movies like The Goonies and Back to the Future I've seen so many times that I'd never put them in to just watch again. We used to watch the VHS tape, rewind it and then watch it again. Great movies, but I would rather watch things I haven't seen or at least haven't seen as much.
That sums it up for me as well. Some of my favorite movies are ones I’ve seen so many times I probably won’t pull the DVD/Blu-Ray out to watch them. In addition to Back to the Future I could add Die Hard, Airplane!, The Shawshank Redemption, Independence Day, etc.

On the flip side, the reason Jaws has been my favorite movie since I was a teenager is because I can pop the blu-ray in or come across it on cable and never get tired of it. It ranks as one of my most watched movies ever and I’m still not sick of it.
Old 12-26-18, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

I can't say I've ever watched a movie so many times I got sick of it, but ...

Titanic

I worked full time in a 5-screen movie theater when Titanic came out. The longest any movie had played on our screens was about 6 weeks. Titanic played for SIX MONTHS. I wasn't a big fan of it in the first place, but SIX MONTHS was enough for me to want to push Jack under myself. To this day I fucking hate Celine Dion (My Heart Will Go On ... and on ... and on ... and on ... AND ON ... OH MY GOD, ENOUGH ALREADY!).
Old 12-26-18, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 895 Likes on 720 Posts

Anything STAR WARS. 42 years is enough. Let it die already and give us something new and original that *gasp* might even be better than STAR WARS was in 1977.

remakes / reboots / sequels in general get old, wearisome, and are obvious cashgrabs.

I'm so sick of bad scripts, PG-13 pussified, castrated releases in general.

Movies shouldn't be all about the money. Studios should be willing to take risks as they did in the late '60s - '70s.

Also sick of credits that list 5000 participants from Director to sub-sub gaffer (and *every* single person who had even even a glancing 2-second interest in the movie. All of that garbage makes me truly want to vomit.

Bring back the '40s when movie credits were at the beginning and lasted all of 60 to 90 seconds and listed only the major participants. Extensive credits are for imdb, not to pad the movie length by 10 to 15 minutes.
Old 12-27-18, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

Movies i like I don't get sick of

i just watch them every couple of years or when a new media format comes out.

I think the last time I saw the original Star Wars trilogy was 2014 and the Godfather movies in 2015 and maybe next year or 2020 I might revisit them.
Old 12-27-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i'm talking either so many viewings that you would just never want to watch again or slightly vomit at the thought or perhaps you see them on tv so many times and looks so awful you just skip by it with venom and disgust.

now, while i wouldn't say disgust, i really can't stand to watch even small portions of A Christmas Story anymore. i mean i don't know how many times i've seen in entirety, but of course background on xmas or something. but, now just seeing it run 24/7 on 2 stations, i'm just repulsed to put it on even.

you have any like that?
I probably feel that way about Lord of the Rings now. I've seen the trilogy about 10 times which I loved. But there is just no appeal for me to revisit it again. The dramatic impact of the performances has been drained dry for me. I can replay all the scenes perfectly in my head so I imagine another viewing would bore me.
Old 12-27-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

The whole concept seems weird to me. Before you reach the point that you're sick of a movie and could never stand to watch it again, there must have been a point when the movie was somewhat less fun.

Some of you seem to keep watching a movie over and over after that. It's a little less fun each time, but you keep pressing Play.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 12-27-18 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-27-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I can’t really think of any. Actually, I intentionally don’t rewatch a lot of films that I consider favorites so they don’t get old to me.
Old 12-27-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't believe no one has mentioned It's a Wonderful Life.
Old 12-27-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
I can't believe no one has mentioned It's a Wonderful Life.
Because we're not sick of it and would happily watch it again.
Old 12-27-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

The Matrix. always thought it was overrated like crap to begin with but a few friends always nagged me along to see it when it first hit theaters. Like 3, 4x times.
Old 12-27-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Every Star Wars movie except the first two and maybe Rogue One.
Old 12-27-18, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

I watch too many new movies to see old ones multiple times
Old 12-27-18, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I watch too many new movies to see old ones multiple times
I hear ya.
I rarely go to the local cineplex, but I have NF and my queue has been hovering around 50 for a long time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.