DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Unsane (2018, D: Soderbergh) S: Foy, Leonard, Pharoah, Temple -- shot on an iPhone (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/640770-unsane-2018-d-soderbergh-s-foy-leonard-pharoah-temple-shot-iphone.html)

dex14 07-19-17 08:23 AM

Unsane (2018, D: Soderbergh) S: Foy, Leonard, Pharoah, Temple -- shot on an iPhone

Steven Soderbergh has shot a movie on an iPhone starring “The Crown” breakout and Emmy nominee Claire Foy and Juno Temple. The news comes just ahead of the release of “Logan Lucky,” Soderbergh’s first feature in four years, which opens in August.

The Tracking Board initially reported the project, with Variety confirming Temple’s participation.

The project’s working title is “Unsane.” Soderbergh is planning to self-distribute the movie in the U.S. through his Fingerprint Releasing, though he is reportedly seeking an international distributor. No plot details have been released at this time.

“Unsane” would be another high-profile feature shot on an iPhone following the success of Sean Baker’s “Tangerine.” Soderbergh has been a champion of low-budget experimental film production, as seen in films like “Bubble” and “The Girlfriend Experience.” The former was shot on high-definition video and starred only non-professional actors from the Ohio region where the movie was filmed.

News of the movie’s existence comes at a formidable time in Soderbergh’s career. Although his Cinemax drama series “The Knick” was recently canceled, he’s got “Logan Lucky” in theaters August 18, plus three television series in various stages of development: Netflix’s “Godless,” HBO’s “Mosaic,” and the second season of Starz’s “The Girlfriend Experience.” He’s also a producer on Warner Brother’s all-female “Ocean’s Eight” reboot.

Foy, meanwhile, is following her breakout year on the small screen with a starring role in Andy Serkis’ directorial debut “Breathe.” Fox Searchlight Pictures opens the drama, co-starring Andrew Garfield, October 13.

Temple stars opposite Kate Winslet in the upcoming Woody Allen movie “Wonder Wheel.”
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/ste...ne-1201856840/

RichC2 07-19-17 08:33 AM

re: Unsane (2018, D: Soderbergh) S: Foy, Leonard, Pharoah, Temple -- shot on an iPhone

Man he really didn't stay retired long. I am curious to see how Logan Lucky turns out.

starseed1981 07-19-17 08:48 AM

re: Unsane (2018, D: Soderbergh) S: Foy, Leonard, Pharoah, Temple -- shot on an iPhone

Anser must've kicked him out again.

DRG 07-19-17 02:19 PM

I hope he didn't shoot it vertically.

TomOpus 07-19-17 03:20 PM

Juno Temple :hump:

Perkinsun Dzees 07-19-17 03:59 PM

If this is a remake of the Argento movie, I'm in!

dex14 11-14-17 02:24 PM

Bleecker Street’s second release with Steven Soderbergh, Unsane, will hit theaters on March 23. We hear that the pic will go wide.

This is the thriller that Soderbergh reportedly shot on his iPhone and which stars Claire Foy, Juno Temple, Amy Irving, Aimee Mullins and SNL alum Jay Pharoah.

Bleecker Street teamed with Soderbergh on the August release of his $29M indie-budgeted Logan Lucky, which made $27.8m Stateside and close to $45m worldwide. The pic’s release was unique in that Soderbergh had oversight of its marketing campaign, which is unheard of for any other major studio. Like Logan Lucky, Soderbergh is self-distributing Unsane through his Fingerprint Releasing via Bleecker Street.

March 23, the weekend prior to the gangbusters Easter B.O. frame, is a busy one with Paramount’s Sherlock Gnomes and Johnny Knoxville comedy Action Point opening as well as Open Road’s Midnight Sun with Bella Thorne and Patrick Schwarzenegger, Legendary/Universal’s Pacific Rim Uprising and Fox Searchlight’s Wes Anderson film Isle of Dogs in limited release.

ComScore had the release date listing first today.
http://deadline.com/2017/11/claire-f...se-1202208079/

dex14 01-29-18 12:38 PM

<iframe width="605" height="340" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u7KZrt_cHH0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Troy Stiffler 01-29-18 01:41 PM

Looks damn good to me!

dex14 01-30-18 08:06 AM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,1000_AL_.jpg

Why So Blu? 02-02-18 08:39 PM

Damn, that looks great!

dex14 03-19-18 08:44 AM

Opens this week. Reviews seem pretty good so far: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/unsane

Giantrobo 03-19-18 11:22 AM

Foy :up:

melasnus 03-19-18 12:00 PM

When I read "shot on an iPhone" I was afraid it would be shakey-cam.
Fortunately, doesn't appear to be at all.

Soderbergh is hit or miss for me.
This one does look good.:)

Rival11 03-19-18 12:00 PM

I think this flick looks great - it can go either way though but so far I love what I see.

Osiris3657 03-21-18 10:37 AM

Comes out this week. 79% (38 reviews). May get out and try to catch this. The mediocre at best reviews for Red Sparrow and Tomb Raider have kept me from the theater since Annihilation.

TomOpus 03-21-18 10:52 AM

Generally, reviews have never outright stopped me from a particular film. If I'm interested, I'm interested (even if it gets knocked down a bit).

Osiris3657 03-21-18 02:25 PM

I still plan on seeing both, but am in no rush and not clearing my schedule to do so. There's a good chance that if the consensus for a movie is "meh" than I'll feel the same way. Might as well make sure the time used is not when I could be doing something more interesting or productive.

nasesco417 03-22-18 11:23 PM

Just saw this today. Was unware it was shot on an iPhone. However, the viewing experience was terrible with respect to lighting. Facial features were hard or impossible to make out in dark scenes. It was so bad we thought something was wrong with the projector. After complaining about the PQ, we were given free passes to another movie. I came here to see if anyone else reported a terrible PQ experience. The film itself was quite entertaining.

dex14 03-23-18 06:13 PM

Claire Foy was fucking fantastic in this.

Osiris3657 03-26-18 07:52 AM

Re: Unsane (2018, D: Soderbergh) S: Foy, Leonard, Pharoah, Temple -- shot on an iPhon

I really dug this, it was very entertaining. Was bummed when
Spoiler:
the black dude was killed, I liked his character.

tonyc3742 03-26-18 08:42 AM

Re: Unsane (2018, D: Soderbergh) S: Foy, Leonard, Pharoah, Temple -- shot on an iPhon

Saw this yesterday. I really liked it. I didn't notice any of the darkness PQ issues, and I wouldn't have guessed it was shot on iphone had I not known.

The only thing that stood out to me in terms of character/plot, just a little, was
Spoiler:
how quickly she reacted violently at times; but her state of mind could help explain that

Disturbing movie, but very good.

Osiris - yep :( but
Spoiler:
totally fit the theme and plot - classic behavior of separation of the target from support.

nasesco417 03-26-18 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 (Post 13297806)
Saw this yesterday. I really liked it. I didn't notice any of the darkness PQ issues, and I wouldn't have guessed it was shot on iphone had I not known.

I’m pretty sure the theater was having technical issues with that particular screen. Need to see this again in the way it was intended to be seen.

dex14 03-26-18 10:08 AM

I don't know how you could watch the movie and not think this doesn't look like a standard movie. There are definitely overexposed scenes. It certainly looks like it was shot on an iPhone to me.

dex14 03-26-18 12:49 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n7zC9gfi60E" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>