DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Favorite Planet of the Apes movie? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/640754-favorite-planet-apes-movie.html)

OldBoy 07-17-17 10:34 PM

Favorite Planet of the Apes movie?

for me: Dawn was just so epic and that relationship between Clarke and Caesar was so much more real and palpable and powerful than his and Franco. this is just an opus that focuses and you care for these CGI animals rather than humans. It's truly amazing movie making.

but, i will wait to vote till after War tomorrow...

Dan 07-17-17 10:58 PM

Re: Favorite Planet of the Apes movie?

2001 remake. Loved the darker style and alternate ending.

davidh777 07-17-17 11:11 PM

I wouldn't have been able to keep them straight had you not included the dates in the poll. :up: Maybe I still can't. :lol:

joe_b 07-17-17 11:12 PM

For me, nothing in that series beats the original. I do enjoy certain aspects of "Beneath". The scenes of the mutants worshiping the doomsday bomb were great.

mrhan 07-18-17 01:16 AM

I wish they would make a movie adaptation of the novel. It is much more interesting than any of the movies. As for the films; the original one is still the best imo.

Boba Fett 07-18-17 01:40 AM

For me:
Planet (68)
Escape
Rise
Conquest
Beneath
Dawn
Battle
Planet (01)

brainee 07-18-17 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 13115445)
For me, nothing in that series beats the original.

Maybe given time, the movies in the current series will rise in my mind. But for now, the original has to rank #1 for me.

For me, nothing in that series beats the original. I do enjoy certain aspects of "Beneath". The scenes of the mutants worshiping the doomsday bomb were great.

There was certainly some pretty intense imagery. It's hard to believe that all of the movies from the original Apes series were rated G when released to theaters. You'd have to think if submitted for ratings today they'd all get PG-13 (strong violence, death, blood, brutality ... not to mention some disturbing themes).

Trevor 07-18-17 06:06 AM

Nothing comes close to the original.

TomOpus 07-18-17 06:21 AM

Even though the effects were definitely reflective of the times, it's hard to not vote for the first one.

Maxflier 07-18-17 09:59 AM

My favorite of the series (and favorite movie period for that matter) is the '68 original.
Haven't seen War as the new ones don't do anything for me.

Quack 07-18-17 10:02 AM

Had to go with the original....Haven't seen War yet, but don't think that would change my mind, Conquest is such a fantastic film as well, love how dark that one is.

milo bloom 07-18-17 10:02 AM

The original is the best movie, but I voted for Escape because I love the concept of the apes becoming media stars.

inri222 07-18-17 10:36 AM

:up:

GhostLee 07-18-17 10:39 AM

The '68 original is still my favorite.

Mabuse 07-18-17 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 13115509)
For me:
Planet (68)
Escape
Rise
Conquest
Beneath
Dawn
Battle
Planet (01)

That's the order for me. Of the recent films I was shocked by the drop off from Rise to Dawn. Dawn was just terrible. I don't know what the OP is thinking.

wishbone 07-18-17 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 13115514)
There was certainly some pretty intense imagery. It's hard to believe that all of the movies from the original Apes series were rated G when released to theaters. You'd have to think if submitted for ratings today they'd all get PG-13 (strong violence, death, blood, brutality ... not to mention some disturbing themes).

And a God damn (you all to hell!) as well.

http://i.imgur.com/swoliKJ.jpg

Another vote for the '68 original film.

d2cheer 07-18-17 11:35 AM

Planet of the Apes (1968) all the way. The reboots are just OK, but do not have the impact of the first.

Neil M. 07-18-17 12:28 PM

The first is the best but my favorites are Escape and Conquest. I can't really decide between the two. The ending to Escape still haunts me.

MScottM 07-18-17 01:01 PM

LOL. I love that SS above. And street view too.

kd5 07-18-17 01:04 PM

The '68 original will always be the best IMO.

mndtrp 07-18-17 02:16 PM

The original, definitely.

OldBoy 07-18-17 02:42 PM

still Dawn for me, but wow, was War quite impressive. i never gravitated to the original like so many, fine movie, but not my favorite.

Ky-Fi 07-18-17 04:46 PM

Original is definitely my favorite. I also love Beneath--some great sci-fi images, and an almost unimaginably bleak ending.

I also rank the 2001 version quite highly. The dumb shock ending bothered me at first, but now I find it kind of fun.

Escape and Conquest are decent. Battle felt kind of tired, and more like a TV movie.

I find the reboots to be fairly good movies, but a bit dreary-looking and dour.

GoldenJCJ 07-18-17 04:58 PM

I feel like I had to vote for the original but I love Rise and Dawn more than I ever expected.

I haven't seen War yet but I'm anticipating this being one of my new favorite trilogies.

Jason 07-18-17 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13115652)
The original is the best movie, but I voted for Escape because I love the concept of the apes becoming media stars.

The original is in a class of it's own. I always liked Escape and Conquest a lot. Escape starts out light and gets progressively darker, while Conquest is just brutal.

I enjoy the current series as well. Looking forward to the new one.