Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

George Romero dead at age 77

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

George Romero dead at age 77

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-17, 07:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: George Romero dead at age 77

Originally Posted by TomOpus
RIP George. Thanks for the wonderful movies. You were the best. One of my all-time Comic-Con highlights.

nice that George poses with one of his monsters...
Old 07-16-17, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I wonder who put the bullet in his head after he got back up.*

So long and thanks for changing horror movies forever.

Spoiler:
Tacky, but I have a feeling the guy who wrote the zombie rule book would have gotten a kick out of it.
Old 07-16-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Damn this is a big loss. Two iconic horror directors gone in two years with him and Wes Craven last year. I've really never been the hugest fan of the Dead movies but there's no doubt Romero was key to the horror genre and definitely an influence for many (I doubt The Walking Dead would exist or be as popular without the Dead films). My favorite of his films is probably actually Monkey Shines. RIP Mr. Romero..
Old 07-16-17, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
nice that George poses with one of his monsters...
Especially after the brains were eaten.
Old 07-16-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Very unexpected. I was looking forward to that new Dead movie and the Night restoration.
Old 07-17-17, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP. It reminds me of a book named Sternstunden der Menschheit.
Nothing Except respect.
Old 07-17-17, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

From the New York Times obit:
About adding vampires to his repertoire, Mr. Romero said that he has always seen them as quite villainous.

"I grew up on the famous monsters of film land
, so to me they’ve just been the villains all along. There are a few sort of ‘O.K.’ vampires in the story, but most of them are the oppressors,” he said.
Ummm, apparently the obit writer and newspaper editor didn't know that Famous Monsters of Filmland is supposed to be capitalized.

The film critic Roger Ebert called “Dawn of the Dead” “one of the best horror films ever made.’’
No mention of Ebert's initial reaction to NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, recounted here:
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/th...ving-dead-1968
Old 07-17-17, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

No mention of Ebert's initial reaction to NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, recounted here:
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/th...ving-dead-1968
I remember reading Ebert's review (though I didn't know who Ebert was at the time) in Reader's Digest at my Grandma's house when I was 8 or 9, and just being indignant that someone had made such a terrible, sick movie.
Old 07-17-17, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

RIP to one of the all time horror greats.

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
And let's not forget Martin, an underappreciated classic.
Originally Posted by brainee
Knightriders is another non-zombie (in fact, non-horror) movie of his that I greatly enjoyed.
Originally Posted by joe_b
I also lived for those "Tales from the Darkside" marathons on the Sci-Fi Channel when I was in middle school. The show may feel quaint and dated by today's standards, but I still love it.

Let's not forget The Crazies.
Old 07-17-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Ummm, apparently the obit writer and newspaper editor didn't know that Famous Monsters of Filmland is supposed to be capitalized.
I don't think he's referring to the magazine but rather the classic monsters. He would have been a grown adult when the mag began publishing.
Old 07-17-17, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His time was done. I'll be happy when certain other producers/directors fuck off and die so they can no longer dictate how and when their films get released on disc. I'm still pissed that The Abyss missed its 20th and 25th anniversary because James Cameron was too busy fucking with Avatar or whatever to approve the damn blu-ray. We get fucked out of the extended cuts of the Lethal Weapon movies on blu-ray because the director is a little bitch and didn't want them included. The list goes on. Everyone still bitches about George Lucas and his alterations to Star Wars. ...and why the hell was Stephen Sommers' Catch Me if You Can (1989) never even released on DVD? It's a goddamn Stephen Sommers film and nobody cares to release it? I find that hard to believe. It's also bullshit he never wrote a movie to properly connect Scorpion King to Mummy returns, but I digress.

Last edited by Viper187; 07-17-17 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-17-17, 03:52 PM

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I've always heard he was a nice man, appreciated so many of his movies.

His influence on cinema is incalculable. Sure, if it wasn't him, it would've been someone else. But it was him, and he did it well.
Old 07-17-17, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper187
His time was done. I'll be happy when certain other producers/directors fuck off and die so they can no longer dictate how and when their films get released on disc.
Wow, you wish death on people, tragedy for their families just so you can be happy over a piece of plastic in your hand.
Old 07-17-17, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper187
His time was done. I'll be happy when certain other producers/directors fuck off and die so they can no longer dictate how and when their films get released on disc. I'm still pissed that The Abyss missed its 20th and 25th anniversary because James Cameron was too busy fucking with Avatar or whatever to approve the damn blu-ray. We get fucked out of the extended cuts of the Lethal Weapon movies on blu-ray because the director is a little bitch and didn't want them included. The list goes on. Everyone still bitches about George Lucas and his alterations to Star Wars. ...and why the hell was Stephen Sommers' Catch Me if You Can (1989) never even released on DVD? It's a goddamn Stephen Sommers film and nobody cares to release it? I find that hard to believe. It's also bullshit he never wrote a movie to properly connect Scorpion King to Mummy returns, but I digress.
I've never told somebody they have first world problems before, but I feel this post most certainly applies.

You've been screwed out of watching Danny Glover says he's "too old for this shit" in glorious 1080p. Thats a real sob story.
Old 07-18-17, 06:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Look at Viper's blog and it'll fill in some blanks.
Old 07-20-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I've always heard he was a nice man, appreciated so many of his movies.
Same here. As a teenager, I bought every movie of his I could get my hands on and listened to all the commentary tracks. I was excited (and nervous) to get a chance to meet him at a horror convention a couple years ago. The whole thing ended up being pretty impersonal, unfortunately. His assistant made sure to collect my $50 up front, well before you were permitted to get in spitting distance of the man.

Once I was standing in front of Mr. Romero, I completely froze up. About the only thing he said to me (after seeing the inscribed Ken Foree autograph on my "Dawn" poster) was "Sorry, I can't personalize anything. They won't let me." Not sure who "they" were, but that was a convention first for me. Kind of disappointing, but I guess it could have been an arthritis issue (I noticed he signed his "G" like an "S"). He was decent enough to let me jump back in line to retake a photo that came out blurry... so at least there's that.

After the initial rush of autograph seekers died down, he mostly sat by himself reading. Later in the day, I noticed him just hanging out and shooting the shit with a couple of fans -- even giving one guy a big bear hug. So yeah, he seemed like a chill dude... and certainly nicer than Tom Savini was.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-21-17 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-08-17, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

He was featured on NFL Timeline a special about the 70's Steelers and the Living Dead movies

Old 08-08-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Actually forgot to post in this thread. Yeah, this sucks - I definitely wasn't a fan of every movie he made but there is no denying his footprint on horror. Night Of The Living Dead & Dawn Of The Dead...Legendary. RIP George.
Old 10-25-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is his Hollywood star ceremony from little bit ago if anyone is interested

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6eWyViS3JdQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>