Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.34%
25.86%
27.59%
12.07%
15.52%
1.72%
3.45%
0%
0%
0%
1.72%
What are you high?
1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-17, 05:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Dunkirk" (Starring: Fionn Whitehead, Damien Bonnard, Aneurin Barnard, Mark Rylance, Tom Hardy, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy, Harry Styles (yes, that one!))

Release Date:
7/21/17

Rating:
PG-13 (for for intense war experience and some language.)

Running Time:
106m. (1h. 46m.)

Budget:
$150 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Evacuation of Allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Empire, Canada, and France, who were cut off and surrounded by the German army from the beaches and harbor of Dunkirk, France, between May 26- June 04, 1940, during Battle of France in World War II. Written by Harvey

IMDb Info and Rating:
9.8 (2,029 votes as of 7/15/17)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:00 Rotten:00 (00% as of 7/15/17)

Metacritic:
00 metascore ('Universal acclaim reviews' as of 7/15/17)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
Old 07-20-17, 08:14 AM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts
Re: Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Bump for the release.

Will be seeing this tomorrow night.

Also, a preemptive mod note to certain members - don't bring your thread crapping in here. You've been warned in the past and action will be taken.
Old 07-20-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Looking forward to that certain member's inevitable suspension
Old 07-20-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Looking forward to that certain member's inevitable suspension
Aww.

Don't worry, I won't be seeing this so I won't be in this thread anymore.
Old 07-20-17, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I'm a big Nolan fan so I decided to check this out tonight. I thought it was very well made and acted but have to be honest I didn't find myself very enthralled with the film. It's definitely a very slow burning war/rescue film which obviously it's supposed to be but it just didn't completely click with me. It was worth watching but I don't see myself revisiting it.
Old 07-21-17, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm a big Nolan fan so I decided to check this out tonight. I thought it was very well made and acted but have to be honest I didn't find myself very enthralled with the film. It's definitely a very slow burning war/rescue film which obviously it's supposed to be but it just didn't completely click with me. It was worth watching but I don't see myself revisiting it.
This is right on the money. You can't really get invested in the characters because you don't really get to know any of them. It was a very well made war movie, but the rave reviews it is getting confuses me.
Old 07-21-17, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I need to see Dunkirk this weekend to make up for spending money to see Valerian....
Old 07-21-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
I agree completely.

I kind of liked the fact that we don't even know most of the characters' names, but we also really don't even get to know them as human beings. They're just props for the most part. There was a shocking lack of emotional weight to any of it.

I was also surprised that there was little sense of the scale of the problem on the beach. 1,500 extras or whatever Nolan had really didn't convey that there were 400,000 stranded.

I saw this in a legit, real-deal IMAX presentation --- film, not digital --- so it was great from a technical standpoint. It was just emotionally cold to me.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 07-21-17 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Aww.

Don't worry, I won't be seeing this so I won't be in this thread anymore.
Good to see you voted in the poll anyway.
Old 07-21-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
This is right on the money. You can't really get invested in the characters because you don't really get to know any of them. It was a very well made war movie, but the rave reviews it is getting confuses me.
Yeah it just kind of feels like nothing really happens. The story is so thin and none of the characters are very well defined. It's just kind of a string of scenes that don't feel cohesive. Between the stuff on the beach, the two French guys, the pilots, and the characters in the boat it just felt like too much and yet at the same time not enough. The characters that felt the most defined were the father and son and his friend on the boat. Again very well made and the acting is fine but I don't really know with this one. I've like all the Nolan films to date and just think he missed the mark here.
Old 07-21-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I have not seen it yet, but for some reason it reminds me of

Old 07-21-17, 04:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Pretty damn amazing

Wish there was more ground battles though

I love Tom Hardy
Old 07-21-17, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
Wish there was more ground battles though
I was the opposite. I wanted more aerial footage. That was THE greatest dogfight filmmaking I've ever seen. GTFOutta here with that CG bullshit that has planes flying around at an ungodly speed.

The only big negative I had with the film was that I couldn't tell the Ground soldiers apart among all those dark-haired guys. Seriously, it's the U.K. Throw in some blondes or redheads, for Pete's sake.

Spoiler:
I didn't even know which death involved the Frenchman. Was he the one that drowned in the boat? Or was he the one killed in the oil fire?
Old 07-21-17, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a Lie-MAX and 70mm available in my area. Which should I go to?
Old 07-21-17, 06:23 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Liemax
Old 07-21-17, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Why LieMax instead of 70mm?
Old 07-21-17, 08:23 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page, Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

Dunkirk (PG-13) - Confusing editing, lack of any character development, and a nearly incomprehensible timeline structure hobble an otherwise good war movie.

Christopher Nolan, acclaimed director of the Dark Knight trilogy, Interstellar, Memento and The Prestige, performs a rather unique trick with his latest outing, Dunkirk. He has managed to take an important event in World War II, and turn it into an Inception-like puzzle that is likely to confuse many in the audience, even as it attempts to inform them of what happened in the English Channel and on the beaches of France in 1940.

The story of the evacuation of nearly 400,000 allied forces from Dunkirk is told from three different perspectives and, confusingly, three completely different timelines that eventually intersect - multiple times. There is the predicament of the troops like British soldier Tommy (Fionn Whitehead) on the beach, waiting for any sort of vessel to get them out of France, told over a 24-hour period, give or take. Then we have the English boat owner (Mark Rylance) who is contracted to head to Dunkirk to assist with the evacuation, told over a parallel (but not quite) 24-hour time frame. Finally, we spend time with a Spitfire pilot (Tom Hardy), fighting off German planes over the period on an hour, though his story stretched over the length of the movie.

Familiar faces pop up in the different timelines, as well, including Kenneth Branagh as a British naval commander, James D’arcy as an Army colonel, and Cillian Murphy as a soldier rescued after a ship is sunk. But we know nothing and learn nothing about any of the characters outside of their immediate service to the plot, so there is little emotional investment. However, there is tension aplenty in each of the stories/timelines and the pilot’s story is especially compelling. But….

The way Dunkirk jumps from one story to another, to different points in the timeline, eventually intersecting, splitting off, then intersecting again, is almost headache-inducing. There are a couple of incidents we see from three different perspectives, but at different times in the film. The structure becomes extremely non-linear, and because of this, Dunkirk feels disjointed at times.

That’s not to say that Dunkirk isn't a good movie. When we are keeping up with what’s happening, it is a perfectly serviceable WW II movie. It’s actually pretty straightforward, but kind of tame compared to other war movies like “Saving Private Ryan” or “Hacksaw Ridge”.

Maybe it's because I expect more from a Christopher Nolan film, but overall I don’t think this stands with his best work. I am only giving “Dunkirk” 3 out of 5 lightsabers.

NOTES FOR PARENTS: Dunkirk is rated PG-13 for war action and related violence, plus brief language. We see soldiers killed by bombs, bullets, drowning and fire, though it’s a lot less graphic than other war movies. The f-bomb is used twice, but there is little profanity otherwise.

SHARE this review with friends and family, and LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies!

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 07-21-17 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found myself not caring for anyone on screen. Poor character development and editing were just disastrous. One of the weakest war movies I've seen in a long time.

The movie felt like an homage to his directorial style rather than the actual history and soldiers themselves.
Old 07-21-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

I was reminded of Episode I with the constant cutting between land, sea, and air. I do feel like I'll revisit this though, I did enjoy it.
Old 07-21-17, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Well, I didn't care much for Interstellar OR Inception, so I guess this will be a rental for me down the road. Could never understand why Nolan is considered "great" - he's a competent director, but almost all of his movies have lacked emotional depth.
Old 07-22-17, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Well, I didn't care much for Interstellar OR Inception, so I guess this will be a rental for me down the road. Could never understand why Nolan is considered "great" - he's a competent director, but almost all of his movies have lacked emotional depth.
Absolutely. I've never understood the love for Chris Nolan. He's a good director but nothing special.

Dunkirk does not look like a good movie.
Old 07-22-17, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I think Dunkirk is Christopher Nolan's masterpiece. I loved it. I thought the actors were great, there wasn't a lot of traditional character development or dialogue, but rather a story told through faces, actions and experience. You care about everyone as a whole, not just one person. Thats one of the films strengths. And Christopher Nolan did that on purpose I believe, to make you feel like you are part of the war. Besides I've seen enough long drawn out war movies with actors talking about the girl they have waiting at home and the jobs they had at the local factory. This was something different. In fact I don't think it would have worked as well as it did with added runtime that included more traditional character exposition. I wouldn't call this a slow burn either, I thought the whole movie moved at a brisk pace and was engrossing at every turn. The camerawork and choreography throughout the whole movie was a stroke of genius. Hoyte Van Hoytema should have his name etched on an Oscar tomorrow, so should Hans Zimmer. I thought the non linear unfolding of the story worked great. Christopher Nolan really seems to illicit polar opposite responses. For Interstellar, The Prestige and this, I'm on one side and for the Dark Knight trilogy, I'm on the other.

4.5/5
Old 07-22-17, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Dunkirk does not look like a good movie.
Shame, because it is.
Old 07-23-17, 01:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Masterful work. One of the best war movies in recent (and maybe not so recent) memory. Strong applause at the sold-out (real and laser projected) IMAX screening at the Smithsonian.
Old 07-23-17, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's the problem with the movies story. It has no context at all. You never understand if these men don't get off that beach and back home England most likely falls to Germany. Maybe all of Europe does too. But there is no way to understand its importance or impact watching the film.

How important Churchill's speech was following this rescue of 400,000 troops. Its all just lost..

It is a brilliantly shot film I seen it in 70mm liemax San Antonio palladium. Sound was stellar too. But yep man story wise it doesn't hold up.

It had good tention with nothing but as someone mentioned I have no idea in hell why they time jumped at all. It was not needed or used in any way that makes any damn sense. It only confuses....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.