Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fear Street Trilogy (2021, D: Janiak) - Based on R.L. Stine's novels - Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-13-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Fox Developing R.L. Stine's 'Fear Street' as Theatrical Movie Series Released Months Apart

Fox’s adaptation of the popular R.L. Stine book series Fear Street is getting another shot at the big-screen, but this time with a possible envelope-pushing distribution twist.

Leigh Jeniak, the rising horror director behind the indie hit Honeymoon, has closed a deal to re-write and direct Fear Street. But, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter, the deal calls for her to write three different scripts that could be shot back-to-back-to-back. And released back-to-back-to-back, one month after another. The plan has been described by one insider as “binge-ing movies.”

Fox would not comment on the release plan but some sources are excited about the forward-thinking nature of it and the studio’s seeming boldness to embrace it.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-apart-1020909
The following users liked this post:
story (07-03-21)
Old 01-24-19, 04:52 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts
re: Fear Street Trilogy (2021, D: Janiak) - Based on R.L. Stine's novels - Netflix

One of the most exciting projects in development is Fear Street, 20th Century Fox’s planned trilogy of films based on the R.L. Stine‘s book series of the same name. We’re already fully on board with the addition of Honeymoon filmmaker Leigh Janiak, who is said to direct one of the three films that are being designed as “binge-ing movies.”

While it was unclear in Janiak would be directing all three films in the series, we now know the plan is to have a different filmmaker for each sequel. One name that’s currently in talks is Alex Ross Perry, who most recently directed Her Smell starring Elisabeth Moss (watch the teaser trailer below), reports Production Weekly.

In 1989, three years before Goosebumps came onto the scene and made him a household name, R.L. Stine launched the lesser-known series of books, Fear Street. Taking place in the fictional city of Shadyside, Ohio, the teen-oriented Fear Street books pit teenagers up against adversaries both human and paranormal, and a total of 52 stories comprised the original line.

The subscription-based online production magazine also has plot details for all three films, which digress by year from 1994 all the way to 1666.

FEAR STREET 1: In 1994, in the aftermath of a brutal tragedy in Shadyside, Ohio, a group of teens discover that a series of horrifying events that have plagued their town over many years might not be random, and that they may be the next victims.

FEAR STREET 2: In 1978, Camp Nightwing is divided by the campers and counselors who hail from the of prosperous town of Sunnyvale and the campers and maintenance staffers from the downtrodden town of Shadyside, but when horrors from their towns shared history come alive, they must band together to solve a terrifying mystery before it’s too late.

FEAR STREET 3: In 1666, a colonial town is gripped by a hysterical witch-hunt that has deadly consequences for centuries to come, and it’s up to teenagers in 1994 to try and finally put an end to their town’s curse, before it’s too late.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/books/...-street-films/
Old 04-16-19, 06:18 PM

re: Fear Street Trilogy (2021, D: Janiak) - Based on R.L. Stine's novels - Netflix

Gillian Jacobs, who last starred on Judd Apatow’s Netflix comedy Love, has joined the cast of Fear Street, Fox’s adaptation of the R.L. Stine horror books for teens.

Leigh Jeniak is directing the intended trilogy, which is filming back-to-back with Chernin Entertainment producing.

The movie is already shooting in Atlanta with up-and-comers Kiana Madeira, Sadie Sink, Olivia Welch and Fred Hechinger Jr., among others.

The first film is set in 1994 in the town of Shadyside and focuses on a group of teens that discover that the deadly events occurring in their town have not only been happening for centuries, but are also connected. The other stories are set in 1978 and 1666 before finding their way back to 1994.

Jacobs will appear in multiple movies. In the 1994 setting, she will play a maintenance worker in a summer camp.

It is currently unclear what the distribution plan is, given that Fox is now under Disney ownership. When the movie was being developed, there was talk of a unique plan in which the trilogy would be theatrically distributed consecutively about a month apart.

Jacobs next stars in Larry, a horror movie from Amblin, and is one of the voice stars of Invincible, Amazon’s all-star adaptation of the Robert Kirkman comic. She is repped by UTA, Authentic Talent and Lichter Grossman.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...TPEqKHgi1qqE5M
Old 05-19-21, 08:29 AM

Re: Fear Street Trilogy (2021, D: Janiak) - Based on R.L. Stine's novels - Netflix

Today, Netflix released the first trailer for Fear Street, offering up footage from the entire trilogy and also revealing each film’s release date. Details follow.

In the Fear Street trilogy…

Fear Street Part One: 1994 (July 2) – In 1994, in the aftermath of a brutal tragedy in Shadyside, Ohio, a group of teens discover that a series of horrifying events that have plagued their town over many years might not be random, and that they may be the next victims.

Cast includes:

KIANA MADEIRA
OLIVIA SCOTT WELCH
BENJAMIN FLORES JR.
JULIA REHWALD
FRED HECHINGER
ASHLEY ZUKERMAN
MAYA HAWKE
DARRELL BRITT-GIBSON
JORDANA SPIRO
JORDYN DiNATALE
JEREMY FORD

Fear Street Part Two: 1978 (July 9) – In 1978, Camp Nightwing is divided by the campers and counselors who hail from the of prosperous town of Sunnyvale and the campers and maintenance staffers from the downtrodden town of Shadyside, but when horrors from their towns shared history come alive, they must band together to solve a terrifying mystery before it’s too late.

Cast includes:

SADIE SINK
EMILY RUDD
RYAN SIMPKINS
McCABE SLYE
TED SUTHERLAND
JORDANA SPIRO
GILLIAN JACOBS
KIANA MADEIRA
BENJAMIN FLORES JR.
ASHLEY ZUKERMAN
OLIVIA SCOTT WELCH
CHIARA AURELIA
JORDYN DiNATALE

Fear Street Part Three: 1666 (July 16) – In 1666, a colonial town is gripped by a hysterical witch-hunt that has deadly consequences for centuries to come, and it’s up to teenagers in 1994 to try and finally put an end to their town’s curse, before it’s too late.

Cast includes:

KIANA MADEIRA
ASHLEY ZUKERMAN
GILLIAN JACOBS
OLIVIA SCOTT WELCH
BENJAMIN FLORES JR.
DARRELL BRITT-GIBSON
SADIE SINK
EMILY RUDD
McCABE SLYE
JULIA REHWALD
FRED HECHINGER
JORDANA SPIRO
JORDYN DiNATALE

Janiak said in a statement, “We filmed all three Fear Street movies over one crazy, bloody summer. It’s a dream that audiences now get to experience the story in the same way – back to back to back, with only a week of waiting in between. I can’t wait to welcome everyone into the world of Fear Street in 1994, 1978 and 1666!”

R.L. Stine added, “Fear Street fans are in for a treat – and some major surprises. Readers know that the book series is rated PG. But the movies are rated R. That means a lot more thrills – and a lot more terror! I have seen Leigh Janiak’s epic trilogy releasing on Netflix in July and I can tell you the scares and the SCREAMS are more than I ever expected. What fun to see the horrors of Shadyside come to life!”
John Pannozzi (06-30-21)
Old 06-09-21, 03:54 PM

Re: Fear Street Trilogy (2021, D: Janiak) - Based on R.L. Stine's novels - Netflix

Old 06-10-21, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Oooo. I didn’t read anything I figured it was going to be more Goosebumps style family fare.
Old 06-29-21, 12:06 PM

Old 07-02-21, 01:24 PM

Part 1 was pretty good and a nice throwback to the R rated teen horror movies of the 90s. Definitely worth checking out.

I’m looking forward to the next two parts.
Old 07-02-21, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Nice to hear!
They're in my queue/reminder list, I may try to watch the first one this weekend.
It'll be cool to see some of the same actors in different roles/eras.
Old 07-03-21, 05:57 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

The 90's teen slasher stuff was lots of fun. Especially the opening scene which was great. And the soundtrack is awesome. The CW drama stuff was kinda lame. And it gets bogged down trying to connect to the other movies. If it was a standalone slasher, it would be much better.
Old 07-03-21, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Thought this was a blast. Cant wait to see the next two films.
Old 07-04-21, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Just finished watching part one. Thought it was pretty good overall. It did feel like it had a throwback vibe and felt a bit like something out of the nineties.

In some ways it felt a bit like an extended, R rated version of an episode of Goosebumps, which is appropriate given that both are R.L. Stine books.

Looking forward to seeing the next two parts.
John Pannozzi (07-05-21)
Old 07-04-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Watched this last night. I liked it a lot. It definitely "felt" Goosebumpy, in the villain design, but not in a bad way, and a little bit like Scream. I did not expect some of the deaths.
It'll be interesting to see how the open threads in this one are handled in the next two movies.
Old 07-04-21, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
I did not expect some of the deaths.
For that one death towards the end....

Spoiler:
I thought Josh would rescue Kate at the last minute before her head got rammed through the slicer, but nope. Shit got real.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vipper II:
Fist of Doom Jr (07-14-21), Mike86 (07-04-21)
Old 07-04-21, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have it marked as spoilers but I’m going to forewarn people, so just in case you don’t want to know the fates of certain characters don’t click.

Spoiler:
I didn’t fully expect Kate’s death. Simon I thought may have been the casualty of the group since he was the goofy druggie. Kate was a druggie character too I guess. I didn’t expect her death to be so brutal with that meat grinder or whatever it was.

The ending I somewhat expected. Especially since it’s a trilogy I figured something would happen with Samantha or one of the other surviving characters.

I wonder if these films are intended as a test for a series. I could see this being kind of a cool anthology type series. Like a more adult version of Goosebumps.

Hopefully the next two chapters in the trilogy are as good. I feel like the 1978 one will be as it looks like an 80’s camp slasher (seems to be influenced by Friday the 13th much like the first was influenced by Scream). The 1666 one I feel may be my least favorite just from the period it’s going to be set in.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-04-21 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-05-21, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Fun slasher with decent gore.
he preview for part 2 looked proper awesome though, so looking forward to that.
Old 07-05-21, 08:04 AM

Old 07-05-21, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Watched this last night.

Didn't care for Kiana Madeira (Deena) in the lead role but thought it was a fun film with a solid supporting cast.

Loved the soundtrack but thought it was really heavy handed (early on) in the same way Captain Marvel (2019) also reminded you of the time period the films take place in.

Looking forward to the next film in the trilogy and am glad to see Sadie Sink is in it!
John Pannozzi (07-05-21)
Old 07-06-21, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I thought Part 1 was ok. Hated Deena, especially her decision to....

Spoiler:
drown Sam and do CPR as her second choice! What?!

Old 07-07-21, 05:48 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Loved the soundtrack ...
A bit sloppy though with several songs from after 1994
Old 07-07-21, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn’t really think the movie screamed nineties necessarily. Certain aspects of it like the mall, the old computer with whatever chat room was being used, and the music.
Old 07-07-21, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Not bad overall. I will check out the other two. Didn't care for the lead much or the druggie guy.

Old 07-07-21, 11:03 AM

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

I did like seeing things like a store in a mall that was devoted to selling software, those of us who are of a certain age (closer to 50 or older) certainly remember when computer/software (not just a store that sells games but actual computer software stores) stores were a thing. I am not just talking about what at the time were big chain computer stores like Egghead software, but smaller chains or 1 offs like KJs Computers that was in business in Granada Hills, CA many years earlier (although KJs may have been part of a chain, but I did not see a lot of them growing up in the San Fernando Valley). Now there are lots of places that advertise that they repair computers but they are not the same animal as stores that used to cater to folks who were hardcore into computers. There used to be a ton of computer hardware and software stores that were not named Circuit City or Best Buy if you go back 20-25 years. Anyway, enough of that tangent.

MLBFan24, wouldn't that be the only safe method of reviving her, using a defibrillator would not have been the wisest choice for someone who was soaked to the bone.

I wonder if I will be able to handle the Camp massacre part of this trilogy because from the trailer it looked quite gory and horror/slasher films have never really been my cup of tea. I enjoyed the first part so I want to stick with it, but we shall see. I think the part that goes back to the very first days when the witch and her minions that is killing everyone in town in this film first ended up getting killed/hung/burned at the stake might be more atmospheric than gory.
Old 07-09-21, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Bump for 1978.
Old 07-09-21, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99

MLBFan24, wouldn't that be the only safe method of reviving her, using a defibrillator would not have been the wisest choice for someone who was soaked to the bone.
Spoiler:
Oh no, I meant CPR should be the first choice after a drowning. Deena used the EpiPen first.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.