Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fear Street Trilogy (2021, D: Janiak) - Based on R.L. Stine's novels - Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fear Street Trilogy (2021, D: Janiak) - Based on R.L. Stine's novels - Netflix

Old 07-19-21, 09:44 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: Fear Street Trilogy (2021, D: Janiak) - Based on R.L. Stine's novels - Netflix

The way I see it, it feels as if they made a CW/MTV series, but also had it be rated R.

I'd say it wasn't very good, but I was kind of missing a "trashy" slasher movie, and this kind of filled the itch
Old 07-20-21, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Re: Fear Street Trilogy (2021, D: Janiak) - Based on R.L. Stine's novels - Netflix

I haven't watched 1666 yet (I will), but I liked 1978 less than 1994. Yes, the characters are all pretty onedimensional. In 1978 the vast majority of them were annoying too. 1994 had enough feel of basic slasher that I could deal with it. 1978 seemed weird and overwrought, lacking the elegant simplicity of most summer camp slashers while not really adding much valuable story.

Question: Why does
Spoiler:
C Berman have all the clocks? Is Freddy Krueger in 1666?

And the
Spoiler:
weird pulsing mass of flesh...That's just...weird..

Old 07-21-21, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts

Finally got a chance to watched Part Two: 1978.

I enjoyed it, with its mish-mash of 70s/80s Slasher films with Supernatural elements, though I felt the film was long and a bit repetitive.

Could've done without 15-25 minutes and still had relatively the same film.

Hopefully will be watching the final film soon.

Originally Posted by tonyc3742

And the

weird pulsing mass of flesh...That's just...weird..

That was actually one of my favorite things about Part Two
Old 07-22-21, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

I liked the trilogy very much. A couple of fun slashers and a fine resolution with more payoff than I expected. Also really liked how each movie was made with aesthetics and technological choices fitting for the time periods and homages.
Even if you didn't like them, you have to admire what Leigh Janiak did. For being a newbie with one movie and a few tv episodes under her belt this was an impressive and ambitious project to pull off. I think she has a very bright future ahead of her.
Old 07-22-21, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Out of curiosity I tried watching 1978. I couldn't make it more than 5 minutes in. The editing alone is an absolute nightmare. This is some seriously terrible storytelling.
Old 07-22-21, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Finally got around to Part 3, and honestly... It was easily the best of the trilogy imo. I liked the time period of most of the movie, enjoyed the big yet obvious reveal, etc.Still nothing fantastic... but if you thought Part 1 was "okay" and Part 2 was "slightly worse than Part 1", then you'll still likely enjoy Part 3 enough to say you didn't waste your time watching it.
Old 07-22-21, 08:07 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
Finally got around to Part 3, and honestly... It was easily the best of the trilogy imo. I liked the time period of most of the movie, enjoyed the big yet obvious reveal, etc.Still nothing fantastic... but if you thought Part 1 was "okay" and Part 2 was "slightly worse than Part 1", then you'll still likely enjoy Part 3 enough to say you didn't waste your time watching it.
Now that I think about it, I would have loved to see more flashbacks regarding Part 2 during part 3. At the end of the day, I feel part 2 didn't really bring much to the table. But for the most part I agree with you. Individually they're just okay, but they work really well together. I think if they released as is in theaters (not sure what the actual plan was), I'd think much less of them.

Call it the Netflix Curve lol
Old 07-27-21, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts

Finished out the trilogy last night and watched Part Three: 1666,

Even though I still don't care for Kiana Madeira (Deena) as lead, I loved all the other pieces around her throughout the film.

As Gunde mentioned, I also appreciated how satisfying the payoff was, though I wasn't expecting the film to do much initially. This was probably my favorite entry in the trilogy.
Old 07-27-21, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Old 10-23-23, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 500 Posts

I forgot about this trilogy, until I was looking for something to watch today. Didn't bother revisiting them since 1994 was only okay, 1978 sucked, and the only good thing about 1666 was the 1994: Part II segment. Honestly, there was no reason for this to be a trilogy. The entirety of 1978 and the bulk of 1666 should have been a pair of flashback scenes.