Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019, D: Tarantino) S: DiCaprio, Pitt, Robbie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019, D: Tarantino) S: DiCaprio, Pitt, Robbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019, D: Tarantino) S: DiCaprio, Pitt, Robbie

Yeah if QT makes something that pushes 2.5 hours (which is likely) Sony won't be able to freak out and make him cut things cause he has final cut.
Old 11-18-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019, D: Tarantino) S: DiCaprio, Pitt, Robbie

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Oh, I'm not disputing it wasn't a good movie, however, Fincher had total control over not just the film, but marketing as well...
Is that how we ended up with this movie poster?

NSFW
Spoiler:
Old 11-18-17, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Is that how we ended up with this movie poster?

NSFW
Spoiler:

I love that poster -- the one without the text is even better.
Old 11-19-17, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Like Stephen King, Tarantino is an artist that needs somebody with the balls to cut out the more pretentious, long-winded elements of their work.
I agree, and like another poster said, his loss of his previous editor has hurt, although not too much.

I'm psyched if QT gets Tom Cruise in this.
Old 11-20-17, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Manson finally died in prison at age 83 just now. At least he won't be around for this Tarantino film.
Old 11-20-17, 09:27 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

This article gives a bit more on plot:

In the end, the whiskey sours weren’t enough. Deadline Hollywood announced Friday morning that Sony Pictures, led by Tom Rothman, has pulled off the impossible, securing worldwide rights to Quentin Tarantino’s ninth film, which is currently untitled.

The deal comes after Sony, Warner Bros., and others pulled out all the stops trying to lure Tarantino after the 54-year old filmmaker decided to part ways with his longtime distribution partner Harvey Weinstein, following the massive sexual harassment and assault scandal that has engulfed the Weinstein Company.

Warner Bros., in particular, went all out trying to grab Tarantino’s attention. In an effort to replicate the setting for his new film, it transformed the front of the studio into a façade straight out of 1969, complete with vintage cars and an old-fashioned marquee. The studio even brought in cocktails—whiskey sours and bloody marys—from famed L.A. restaurant Musso & Franks. The thinking, as one source familiar with the presentation told V.F., was that Tarantino was looking for a new family—and since famed filmmakers like Clint Eastwood and Christopher Nolan enjoyed a supportive home at the studio, Tarantino would find one there too.

But in the end, according to Deadline, Rothman’s vast knowledge of film plus his studio’s ability to release the movie worldwide were what swayed Tarantino.

Set in Los Angeles in the summer of 1969, Tarantino’s upcoming movie, according to a source who read the script, focuses on a male TV actor who’s had one hit series and his looking for a way to get into the film business. His sidekick—who’s also his stunt double—is looking for the same thing. The horrific murder of Sharon Tate and four of her friends by Charles Manson’s cult of followers serves as a backdrop to the main story. Deadline says Tarantino wants Margot Robbie, currently enjoying accolades for her role as Tonya Harding in I, Tonya, for the role of Tate.

He’s also said to want a production budget of close to $100 million, first-dollar gross and final cut on the film. It’s not yet clear if Sony has agreed to all these terms.

Tarantino is expected to start shooting the movie in June in Los Angeles, and actors such as Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, and Leonardo DiCaprio are being considered for the lead.

Though he has now severed ties with Weinstein, Tarantino has also admitted to being aware of his longtime friend and partner’s alleged misconduct long before it became publicly known—and to feeling guilty that he did not take action sooner.

“I knew enough to do more than I did,” Tarantino told The New York Times in October, citing several troubling alleged episodes involving both Weinstein and prominent actresses. “There was more to it than just the normal rumors, the normal gossip. It wasn’t secondhand. I knew he did a couple of these things.”

“I wish I had taken responsibility for what I heard,” Tarantino added. “If I had done the work I should have done then, I would have had to not work with him.”

Tarantino’s most recent film, 2015’s Hateful Eight, was considered a box-office disappointment, grossing just $54 million at the box office. It’s a far cry from his biggest hits, including 2012’s Django
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...y-manson-movie
Old 12-01-17, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Just saw on Variety, it got a release date: Aug 9, 2019
Old 12-01-17, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Just saw on Variety, it got a release date: Aug 9, 2019
Which is the 50th anniversary of Sharon Tate's death. Kinda creepy.
Old 12-02-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

While I can see Cruise as Manson, the prospect does not excite me. I think we already saw who should be Manson (Evan Peters). I also wasn’t terribly excited about QT putting his stylistic touches on a subject that should require levity. Then again, it doesn’t sound as if this is actually going to be about Manson and his cult.
Old 12-02-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
While I can see Cruise as Manson, the prospect does not excite me. I think we already saw who should be Manson (Evan Peters). I also wasn’t terribly excited about QT putting his stylistic touches on a subject that should require levity. Then again, it doesn’t sound as if this is actually going to be about Manson and his cult.
It sounds like Cruise, Pitt and Leo would be up for the TV actor, not Manson.

And then they need to cast the character's stunt double. If Cruise - Ben Stiller?
Old 12-03-17, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
It sounds like Cruise, Pitt and Leo would be up for the TV actor, not Manson.

And then they need to cast the character's stunt double. If Cruise - Ben Stiller?
Cruise, Pitt and Leo are all way too old for the part of a TV actor with one hit series trying to get into the movie business in the late 1960s. For instance, Clint Eastwood was in his early 30s when he was a TV actor with one hit series trying to get into the movie business in the early '60s. Steve McQueen was 30 when he was a TV actor with one hit series trying to get into the movie business in 1960. To pick an example matching the time frame of QT's movie, Ryan O'Neal was 28 when he came off the five-season run of "Peyton Place" in 1969 and tried to get into the movie star business. (He succeeded in 1970 with LOVE STORY.) To use a less famous example, Christopher Jones had a one-season series, "The Legend of Jesse James," and was 26 when it ended in 1967 and he then sought movie roles and got them (WILD IN THE STREETS, THREE IN THE ATTIC, RYAN'S DAUGHTER), but did not become a major star.
Old 12-03-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

What are you talking about? Have you seen Cruise’s movies? He is convinced he is still 30.
Old 12-05-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

So would this be Tarantino's last film or do we get one more after this? He said he was only going to make like 2 more films.

This one sounds good.
Old 12-05-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

He's saying that now. Give him 5 or 10 years and he'll be itching to direct.
Old 12-05-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

There should be one more yet that’s unannounced at this point. There’s a rumor that he’s got an idea for a Star Trek film but nothing is concrete on that. Just that he’s talking with Paramount.
Old 01-12-18, 01:41 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Leonardo DiCaprio has said yes to starring in Quentin Tarantino’s new Charles Manson-themed movie, which will reteam the actor and director from 2012’s Django Unchained. The new film, Tarantino’s ninth as director, was scooped up by Sony and already has an August 9, 2019 release date. The deal is expected to close soon, and this will become DiCaprio’s first film since he won the Oscar for The Revenant.

Tarantino has already asked Margot Robbie to play the role of Sharon Tate, and as Deadline has reported Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt have been circling the project with DiCaprio for what is known to be two meaty male roles. DiCaprio’s will play an aging actor in the story that is being kept under wraps but is a Pulp Fiction-esque movie set during the time of the Manson murder spree in Los Angeles.

The release date coincides with the 50th anniversary of Tate’s murder at the hands of the Manson family.

The film is being produced by Harry Potter’s David Heyman, Tarantino and Shannon McIntosh, with Georgia Kacandes exec producer and line producer. Production begins this year, and is set with an $18 million California production tax credit.

DiCaprio is repped by LBI Entertainment and Hanson Jacobson.
http://deadline.com/2018/01/leonardo...ng-1202241971/
Old 01-18-18, 02:21 PM

FLEMING: Whether it’s Hollywood industry news or sexual harassment allegations, the speed at which trade journalism takes place right now can be dizzying. So I’d like to add to the story Deadline broke last week, when Leonardo DiCaprio told Quentin Tarantino he would make his next film the first picture DiCaprio will star in since his Oscar-winning turn in The Revenant. I initially called him an aging actor, when I raced to break the story. What he plays, more specifically, is an actor who had his own Western show, Bounty Law, that ran on the air from 1958 to 1963. His attempt to transition to movies didn’t work out and in 1969 — the film is set at the height of hippy Hollywood movement– he’s guesting on other people’s shows while contemplating going to Italy which has become a hotbed for low-budget Westerns. The movie, a Pulp Fiction-esque tapestry of Los Angeles during the summer of the Manson murders, will now get busy with casting (Margot Robbie was asked to play Sharon Tate, as I’ve reported, but there isn’t a deal yet). I’d keep an eye on Tom Cruise, who might well surface as the other big male superstar in Tarantino’s film.
http://deadline.com/2018/01/leo-dica...ld-1202244988/
Old 01-18-18, 02:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm wondering if Charles Manson will even be a character in this.
Old 01-18-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

I doubt it. From the beginning, this always sounded to me like a Summer of Sam kind of movie.
Old 01-23-18, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every time I hear about this movie, I hope I will finally wake up from this nightmare...
Tarantino + Charles Manson = Facepalm
Old 02-13-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

http://www.darkhorizons.com/sony-rec...s-manson-film/

Just over a week ago, Quentin Tarantino found himself under fire in the wake of an interview with Uma Thurman about her dealings with Harvey Weinstein and a driving stunt mishap on the “Kill Bill” set which left the actress injured – and could’ve easily been far worse.

Tarantino went on the defensive in a lengthy interview and then was slammed again for comments from a 2003 interview with Howard Stern about the Roman Polanski rape case. The director issued an apology there, but the PR has not been good for the filmmaker just as he is putting together his next film.

Now, Showbiz 411 is reporting that Sony Pictures is having ‘second thoughts’ about producing the film, a project set in Los Angeles in the summer of 1969 and to some extent involves the Charles Manson murder case and even includes Polanski as a character.

The studio is allegedly concerned about the press surrounding the filmmaker, but there are arguably other factors as well. One is that it is also an expensive film with a production budget tipped to be over $100 million and that’s before marketing and potential cost increases. The film would have to do box-office at a level akin to Tarantino’s biggest film worldwide – “Django Unchained” at $425 million – to score a healthy profit.

Tarantino’s most recent movie, “The Hateful Eight,” earned just $155 million. Paramount Pictures is also in the midst of developing an R-rated “Star Trek” movie based off a concept by Tarantino, who may also sign up to direct.
Old 02-13-18, 12:33 PM

I was waiting for this to happen.
Old 02-13-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Not unexpected but honestly I feel like this is a ridiculous knee jerk reaction. What happened with Uma wasn’t done with malice and there’s no real heat between them based on what he’s said. Totally unrelated to everything else happening in Hollywood but I guess any negative publicity puts you right on the chopping block.
Old 02-28-18, 07:24 PM

Quentin Tarantino Taps Brad Pitt To Join Leonardo DiCaprio In ‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’

http://deadline.com/2018/02/quentin-...od-1202306448/
Old 02-28-18, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.