DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Which superhero movie does not hold up on subsequent viewings? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/640674-superhero-movie-does-not-hold-up-subsequent-viewings.html)

OldBoy 07-08-17 09:36 AM

Which superhero movie does not hold up on subsequent viewings?

We're talking any superhero movie (old, new, MCU, DCEU or whatever, etc...).

For me it's the original Burton Batman. Remembering seeing it opening day with friends. Really entertained, but on next viewings it just doesn't compare to recent releases. Now, of course, that could be a sign of the times, but I know it's still praised. I know it's a good movie and I liked the portrayals at the time, but now, a little bored. Will revisit however.

I know Green Lantern was reviled, but I enjoyed it the first time. Didn't quite hold up the second time. Still not bad imo.

More recently, Ant-Man. Really enjoyed in theaters, but second viewing was bit of a come down. Still enjoyable, but less so, which is how movies go many times.

TheMovieman 07-08-17 10:27 AM

Re: Which superhero movie does not hold up on subsequent viewings?

I'm in the vast minority on this, but... Deadpool. Still entertaining but not nearly as funny the second time seeing it.

Bluelitespecial 07-08-17 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13110056)
We're talking any superhero movie (old, new, MCU, DCEU or whatever, etc...).

For me it's the original Burton Batman. Remembering seeing it opening day with friends. Really entertained, but on next viewings it just doesn't compare to recent releases. Now, of course, that could be a sign of the times, but I know it's still praised. I know it's a good movie and I liked the portrayals at the time, but now, a little bored. Will revisit however.

I love it even more now for the fact it feels like a comic book come to life. The noir feel to it, Danny Elfman's score, Anton Furst's art direction, and of course Jack Nicholson as the Joker.

The Questyen 07-08-17 11:45 AM

I loved the two Burton Batman movies as a kid but yeah now that I've watched them a few times as an adult I find them to be mediocre movies.

james2025a 07-08-17 11:50 AM

I actually found Deadpool an average movie on first viewing and still find it so. Ryan Reynolds is just sich an annoying fuck.

For me the winner of this by a clear mile is Suicide Squad. Saw it at the cinema and left enjoying it.. Watched it maybe 5 more times since and its gotten sooooo bad i doubt i will ever watch it again. Just such a horrible mess of a movie. Just awful. I would add Batman v Superman, but i hated that movie from the first viewing.

The Questyen 07-08-17 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by james2025a (Post 13110102)
I actually found Deadpool an average movie on first viewing and still find it so. Ryan Reynolds is just sich an annoying fuck.

For me the winner of this by a clear mile is Suicide Squad. Saw it at the cinema and left enjoying it.. Watched it maybe 5 more times since and its gotten sooooo bad i doubt i will ever watch it again. Just such a horrible mess of a movie. Just awful. I would add Batman v Superman, but i hated that movie from the first viewing.

It's been less then a year since Suicide Squad came out and you've already watched it 6 times even though you hate it. Seems like a good use of your time.

Mike86 07-08-17 12:28 PM

Re: Which superhero movie does not hold up on subsequent viewings

Originally Posted by TheMovieman (Post 13110068)
I'm in the vast minority on this, but... Deadpool. Still entertaining but not nearly as funny the second time seeing it.

Honestly I agree to an extent. Deadpool is good but also very overrated. People love it for being different from other comic book films but its not that good. I've also never loved the character in comics so there's that against it for me a bit too. I think more than anything it proved that a comic book film could be done successfully (both critically and with audiences) with an R rating.

My answer is Batman Returns. People love to praise it for whatever reason (yeah, I know some of you like Burton's attempt at an artsy German expressionist Batman film but it doesn't work). People give Schumacher crap for being campy but this film is full of camp too. The dialogue is often cringe inducing, the storyline is stupid (even by typical comic story standards), the characters aren't that great (Pfeiffer is hot and I like Keaton but he's really pretty underplayed). Overall one of the more overrated comic films in my opinion. I loved it as a kid but it hasn't aged well.

Another I just watched is Spider-Man 2. I often see this praised as one of not only the best Spider-Man films but one of the best comic book films. For the time maybe it was but looking back on it I don't think it's that great. I realize more and more rewatching the Raimi films that I don't like Maguire's Spidey or Peter (especially in the sequels). The storyline of Peter giving up being Spider-Man is decent but I don't feel like Doc Ock was the best villain really. Other than a few scenes he feels underused and is more just there to serve the story of the trilogy (Harry's revenge for his father's death) rather than having a great reason to go up against Spidey.

Regarding Suicide Squad, it's a very mixed bag. I can't stand Leto as most know. I do like Deadshot though and Harley has her moments but I think Robbie's performance is overrated. She's just the first time we've seen that character in live action but that doesn't make her the best. I think it starts strong the first forty-five minutes to an hour or so before it takes a crap.

GoldenJCJ 07-08-17 12:42 PM

For fuck's sake, man! Stop watching it!

I watched it once in the theater and enjoyed it well enough, by the time it hit blu-ray I was already over it. And it didn't take me 6 viewings to realize it. :lol:

GoldenJCJ 07-08-17 12:45 PM

I'll add the Tobey Maguire Spider-man movies.

I've always been lukewarm on these movies in the first place but the more time that's passed the more I have no interest in ever seeing them again. Part 2 holds up the best but even it feels hokey and dated to me now.

TheMovieman 07-08-17 01:30 PM

Re: Which superhero movie does not hold up on subsequent viewings

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13110120)
My answer is Batman Returns. People love to praise it for whatever reason (yeah, I know some of you like Burton's attempt at an artsy German expressionist Batman film but it doesn't work). People give Schumacher crap for being campy but this film is full of camp too. The dialogue is often cringe inducing, the storyline is stupid (even by typical comic story standards), the characters aren't that great (Pfeiffer is hot and I like Keaton but he's really pretty underplayed). Overall one of the more overrated comic films in my opinion. I loved it as a kid but it hasn't aged well.

That is another good one. I saw it in the theater and liked it a lot. Over the years, I've actually grown to hate it :lol:

One thing that always stood out, it looked like it was filmed on a sound stage.

Josh-da-man 07-08-17 01:49 PM

I'll say most of them.

I remember liking Donner's Superman when I first saw it, but I watch it now and the special effects are just fucking awful, and the story is weak. The ending, when Supes turns the world back to undo Lois' death is the worst kind of deus ex machina.

Burton's Batman films also don't hold up for me. Silly plots, Nicholson's Joker never felt like more than Jack Nicholson. At the time, Burton's Batman films were praised for their darkness and being a better representation of the comics than the 60s tv show, but really, they're just as corny as it was.

I admire the hell out of the MCU for being able to pull off a shared universe, but none of the movies are anywhere near great. A handfull of good ones, a few bad ones, but most are just mediocre.

I don't think any superhero movie has been a genre masterpiece like Star Wars, Blade Runner, Alien, The Thing.

mcnabb 07-08-17 01:52 PM

I think Superhero movies overall don't hold up well because the main story is always paperthin. The most interesting parts of a Superhero movie is their backstory at the beginning then the movies usually loses steam when it gets to present day. The special effects and big action scenes can wow you but in the long run the story and characters are what makes a movie hold up years later.

GoldenJCJ 07-08-17 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13110152)
I admire the hell out of the MCU for being able to pull off a shared universe, but none of the movies are anywhere near great. A handfull of good ones, a few bad ones, but most are just mediocre.

I think one problem with the MCU is that they are part of a shared universe. I have my doubts that any individual MCU films will stand the test of time because they're all basically just stepping stones to the next, greater, movie in the series. Collectively, the Marvel movies are a pretty impressive feat by the studio. Separately they'll eventually amount to little more than filler.

stvn1974 07-08-17 02:10 PM

I would say The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises but since they weren't any good to begin with I will vote Batman Begins.

Brack 07-08-17 02:22 PM

The Meteor Man

DaveyJoe 07-08-17 02:30 PM

The Avengers is boring as hell when you watch it a second time.

fumanstan 07-08-17 02:52 PM

I agree with the original Superman, I enjoyed it as a kid but for all the complaints about the ending of movies these days Superman is the worst and most ridiculous. Coupled with the campiness of Lex and idiocy of Otis, it doesn't hold up for me at all.

Iron Man 3 keeps getting worse for me after rating it fairly highly here when I saw it in theaters.

A lot of the ones I love I still do... Dark Knight, Avengers, Winter Soldier, X2, Spider-Man 2... I still enjoy them immensely.

Mike86 07-08-17 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13110161)
I think one problem with the MCU is that they are part of a shared universe. I have my doubts that any individual MCU films will stand the test of time because they're all basically just stepping stones to the next, greater, movie in the series. Collectively, the Marvel movies are a pretty impressive feat by the studio. Separately they'll eventually amount to little more than filler.

People like to say this but I disagree. Yeah the films build on each other to form a bigger story but most of them can still be taken on their own merits as decent films with their own separate stories. It's not like most of them are overly reliant on each other and without seeing them all you'll be lost in the individual films.

Michael Corvin 07-08-17 02:58 PM

Not superhero per se, but I saw Scott Pilgrim in the theater and loved it. When I finally revisited it later on DVD it fell completely flat. So much so I remember wondering what the hell I thought was so great the first time.

OldBoy 07-08-17 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13110174)
The Avengers is boring as hell when you watch it a second time.

i agree with this as well. did not hold up on second viewing.

Mabuse 07-08-17 06:27 PM

I love Donner's Superman and I make allowances for the ending because it wasn't his fault. Altogether Superman 1 and 2 are the greatest "could have been" in cinema history.

Hokeyboy 07-08-17 07:24 PM

Except for Donner's Superman (first one only) and Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy (yes, including Rises), and the Guardians of the Galaxy flicks, most superhero films lack rewatchability.

I don't own Dr. Strange yet but I think I might be able to revisit that one quite a bit.

OldBoy 07-08-17 07:37 PM

I still love Superman and thought it was just all around amazing. I've revisited many times (not in awhile, soon to be rectified) and it holds up great. The camp just adds to an incredible dual performance by Reeve and complete fun of this movie. I still get that tear when Williams iconic theme plays at end (actually my ringtone).

whotony 07-08-17 07:55 PM

Holy moly. how did you sit through that movie 6 times.
I finally watched it last week and I can't believe that movie got made.
Nothing about it was good, OK HQ was very good and Will Smith was too but jeez why the bleep did they do that to the Joker. such bs.

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13110273)
I still love Superman and thought it was just all around amazing. I've revisited many times (not in awhile, soon to be rectified) and it holds up great. The camp just adds to an incredible dual performance by Reeve and complete fun of this movie. I still get that tear when Williams iconic theme plays at end (actually my ringtone).

Superman is one of the great movies of any genre. Will always hold up.
One of the best scores ever too.

I'd have to say Green Lantern. liked it at first but not now.

GoldenJCJ 07-08-17 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13110184)
People like to say this but I disagree. Yeah the films build on each other to form a bigger story but most of them can still be taken on their own merits as decent films with their own separate stories. It's not like most of them are overly reliant on each other and without seeing them all you'll be lost in the individual films.

I'm a fan of most of the MCU films and have enjoyed almost all of them but in terms of "holding up" over time I really only see a couple films doing that. The first Iron Man and The Winter Soldier are really the only two that are great, IMO.

All the other films, while enjoyable to varying degrees, I just don't see standing the test of time.