Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which superhero movie does not hold up on subsequent viewings?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Which superhero movie does not hold up on subsequent viewings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Which superhero movie does not hold up on subsequent viewings?

just about all of them.
Old 07-09-17, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The Raimi Spider-man films for me. I liked them, especially Spider-man 2, but they come across as almost campy at times.

Donner's Superman doesn't hold up in SOME aspects, like the stupid Otis and Luthor hijinks, and Lois's rhyming internal monologue while she's flying. But everything else about that movie is pretty damn good, the creepy judgment for the Phantom Zone criminals, Clark's teenage years, and Superman getting angry when Lois dies and he defies is father to change history just for her.

Most of the other ones that have good reviews still hold up for me:

Blade I and II
The Crow
Batman 89
X-Men
Old 07-09-17, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm a fan of most of the MCU films and have enjoyed almost all of them but in terms of "holding up" over time I really only see a couple films doing that. The first Iron Man and The Winter Soldier are really the only two that are great, IMO.

All the other films, while enjoyable to varying degrees, I just don't see standing the test of time.
I'm a huge MCU fan, but as far as "great" movies you're probably right but even now I think there are only a few movies that people seem to consider as really great material. Guardians of the Galaxy would probably sneak it's way in there too for most. I still like Avengers, even though I see people saying it's in the boat of not holding up.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "holding up" though as there's movies that are decent but not particularly amazing that feel like they'll be perfectly rewatchable for the long run, like the first Captain America or some lighter fare like Ant-Man. After seeing Spider-Man, even with Stark and some ties to the MCU, I can see the rest of the content and high school themes allowing it to hold up pretty well too.
Old 07-09-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I can't think of any MCU movies that don't hold up well outside of maybe Thor: The Dark World.

They're fun, entertaining movies with likeable, often amusing, characters who do entertaining things. That kind of thing holds up very well.

I've watched all of them at least 3 times (some 4 or 5 times) and they're all very enjoyable on subsequent viewings.

Batman '89, Donner's first Superman - those haven't held up as well. They're still somewhat entertaining, but not nearly as much as they used to be.
Old 07-09-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I think most of the MCU has held up fine. I won't say they're all fantastic films or anything but that doesn't mean they're bad either and I think they hold up. I guess when I think of something holding up it comes down more to the film being entertaining, the story being decent, the characters being likable, and the overall tone of the film not feeling terribly dated. It's hard to really say that any feel dated at this point given that it hasn't been a decade since the first MCU film. The other aspects I feel like are holding up thus far. To me the films are all at least good and there are exceptions with some standing out as really good and really only one or two that are below average (Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World).
Old 07-09-17, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
just about all of them.
The only superhero movie I've seen more than once is The Incredibles.

Rewatching a superhero movie seems like drinking last night's beer. The froth would be gone. And then it would be dull.
Old 07-09-17, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

By that reasoning wouldn't that apply to any movie or tv show?
Old 07-09-17, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spawn (hey, I liked the film when it came out in '97)

Deadpool (some jokes don't work the second time around.)

Captain America: The First Avenger (the film is still very good, but I liked it better the first time around.)
Old 07-09-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
By that reasoning wouldn't that apply to any movie or tv show?
Some movies have more going for them than froth. They're more than once-funny jokes, chase scenes that don't advance the plot or the characterizations, and climatic fight scenes which have a foregone conclusion.

By 'once-funny joke' I mean one that works only because of surprise. Without the element of surprise, they fall flat the second time.

I sometimes like frothy movies. We're going to see Baby Driver this week. But I don't expect to watch it again every couple years the way I've watched The Seven Samurai.
Old 07-09-17, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To an extent, Wonder Woman. Saw it three times and on the third viewing, after the No Man's Land scene, I wanted to go home.
Old 07-10-17, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Along with the guy who watched Suicide Squad six times, my reaction is just... well of course! I feel like i'd get tired watching any movie 3 times in a month.

I could never be one of those people that see a movie 5+ times during it's theatrical run.
Old 07-10-17, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Superman Returns is the only one for me. I liked it when I saw it, but the more I watched it the less I liked it.
Old 07-10-17, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Some superhero movies barely hold up the first time around, much less repeat viewings.

Outside of the first two Superman films with Christopher Reeve and the first two films of Nolan's Bat trilogy, few cape movies are watchable over and over again. Despite loving the first two entries, I know I would end up hating The Dark Knight Rises if I watched it again.
Old 07-10-17, 05:43 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I've been trying to keep up with the MCU, own most of the movies (but not the TV shows). For me, none of the ones I have have lost any impact on me, I still like them all. I never bought Suicide Squad (based on negative reviews here) so I can't speak to that one. I also own MoS and BvS, I like both of those as well. All told, none of the ones I own have lost any appeal for me.
Old 07-10-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger

Rewatching a superhero movie seems like drinking last night's beer. The froth would be gone. And then it would be dull.
Come on, there are super-hero movies as good as The Incredibles, where the "superhero" aspect comes secondary to the story.

Super-Hero movies are not a genre... there are Sci-Fi, Horror, Comedy, Action and even Drama films that revolve a "super" being
Old 07-10-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Hype
To an extent, Wonder Woman. Saw it three times and on the third viewing, after the No Man's Land scene, I wanted to go home.
yeah watching it 3 times within a couple of weeks can do that for many films...
Old 07-10-17, 09:52 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - although the flying scenes still look amazing, I don't think Nuclear Man's performance is as powerful as it was in 1987.
Old 07-10-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Superman III.
Old 07-10-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I couldn't think of a single one until you mentioned this. It still isn't one of my favorite Pixar films, but I have come to appreciate it more on subsequent viewings (and, mercifully, my kid isn't one to watch things over and over again, so I haven't seen it too many times yet).
Old 07-10-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Man of Steel is another. The first time I saw it I liked it for being a different take on the Superman character and not going the typical boyscout route with him. On subsequent viewings I've come to realize how flawed it is. I truly don't think it's bad until we actually see Clark put the Superman suit on. The early stuff with Clark wandering and the flashbacks to his childhood are decent (other than Pa Kent's death), its really when it gets more towards the end and he and Zod face off that the film goes to crap.
Old 07-10-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the Rocketeer still holds up.
Old 07-10-17, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I think the Rocketeer still holds up.
I actually watched that a couple weeks ago and don't think it holds up that well. Surprisingly, I do think that Dick Tracy holds up well though.
Old 07-10-17, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
I actually watched that a couple weeks ago and don't think it holds up that well. Surprisingly, I do think that Dick Tracy holds up well though.
I think it's opposite but to each his own.
Old 07-10-17, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Superman III.
I don't know if this is a joke post but it kind of applies to me. As a little kid who loved Richard Pryor in The Toy, his presence in Superman III made it my favorite Superman flick. It's damn near unwatchable as an adult, despite the junkyard scene, which isn't nearly as good as I remembered back in the 80s.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 07-10-17 at 08:05 PM.