Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
11 13.41%
25 30.49%
34 41.46%
7 8.54%
3 3.66%
0 0%
2 2.44%
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
What are you high? 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-17, 08:31 PM   #176
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,873
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

SPIDERMAN: HOMECOMING RETRO MOVIE POSTERS

http://nerdist.com/spiderman-homecom...ller-and-more/
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 02:26 AM   #177
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,641
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Again, the cast is diverse because Queens is one of the most diverse towns in the world. If the cast wasn't diverse, it would be inauthentic to the setting.
The diversity itself doesn't bother me in the least. The pandering and poor writing/characterization does. Flash, Liz, and Michelle were terribly underwritten and totally flat and one dimensional. The characters were lame, period. They took iconic characters and ruined them - not with their ethnicity, but with making the characters kind of pathetic (in Flash's case, totally pathetic).
__________________
- Still prefers physical media to downloads or streaming...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 07:37 AM   #178
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,805
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
The diversity itself doesn't bother me in the least. The pandering and poor writing/characterization does. Flash, Liz, and Michelle were terribly underwritten and totally flat and one dimensional. The characters were lame, period. They took iconic characters and ruined them - not with their ethnicity, but with making the characters kind of pathetic (in Flash's case, totally pathetic).
Maybe that was my problem more than the forced diversity. If Flash was a Indian and a foil to Peter maybe it wouldn't have bothered me. If Liz even for a second seemed like a legitimate love interest for Peter I wouldn't have cared what her race was. I'm not even sure why Michelle was in the movie.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 01:24 PM   #179
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 17,961
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

People are whining about "forced diversity" while the lead was a white guy, the villain was a white guy, the mentor was a white guy, the shlemazel was a white guy, the parental figure was a hot white chick... the horrors.
__________________
The only thing that would have made that movie watchable is if she could lick her own ass. - Josh-da-man
Fuck you and your whore asshole that Eddie Money wouldn't dare touch. - Solid Snake
I wonder if I would turn invisible if I stick my finger up her ass. - Josh-da-man
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 01:44 AM   #180
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,641
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
People are whining about "forced diversity" while the lead was a white guy, the villain was a white guy, the mentor was a white guy, the shlemazel was a white guy, the parental figure was a hot white chick... the horrors.
Yeah, I AM complaining about the forced diversity - because it SUCKED. HARD.

The characters were far worse than the originals (the originals were at least halfway interesting and fun to read/watch). So tell me how this diversity that the studio and creative people forced into the story made it any better...

You can't, because almost all of the complaints about the movie are how poorly written (and, in some cases, acted) the altered characters were. This movie could have been significantly better if they hadn't tried to reinvent the wheel.

The changes didn't make the movie better, they made it worse. They COULD have made it better, but the execution was GODAWFUL. It's like they spent all their time coming up with ways to change the characters and make the movie more diverse, and then didn't give a shit as to how interesting or entertaining the changed characters were (or, more accurately, weren't).
__________________
- Still prefers physical media to downloads or streaming...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 03:50 AM   #181
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 27,149
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
People are whining about "forced diversity" while the lead was a white guy, the villain was a white guy, the mentor was a white guy, the shlemazel was a white guy, the parental figure was a hot white chick... the horrors.
The leads in the new Star Wars movies are a black guy and a woman! The lead in the new Star Trek series is a black woman with an Asian woman captain! The Ghostbusters are all women! Peter Parker is going to school with non-white kids! The Gunslinger is black! The new Doctor Who is a woman!

What's next? A gay James Bond who's a bottom?

My GAWD, they're forcing diversity down our throats! It's an agenda! AN AGENDA!

Save us, President Trump! You're our only hope! Grab those pussies before they grabs us!
__________________
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 08:20 AM   #182
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 17,961
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Yeah, I AM complaining about the forced diversity - because it SUCKED. HARD.

The characters were far worse than the originals (the originals were at least halfway interesting and fun to read/watch). So tell me how this diversity that the studio and creative people forced into the story made it any better...

You can't, because almost all of the complaints about the movie are how poorly written (and, in some cases, acted) the altered characters were. This movie could have been significantly better if they hadn't tried to reinvent the wheel.

The changes didn't make the movie better, they made it worse. They COULD have made it better, but the execution was GODAWFUL. It's like they spent all their time coming up with ways to change the characters and make the movie more diverse, and then didn't give a shit as to how interesting or entertaining the changed characters were (or, more accurately, weren't).
And if all those roles were filled with white actors, how would they have been any better?
__________________
The only thing that would have made that movie watchable is if she could lick her own ass. - Josh-da-man
Fuck you and your whore asshole that Eddie Money wouldn't dare touch. - Solid Snake
I wonder if I would turn invisible if I stick my finger up her ass. - Josh-da-man
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 09:45 AM   #183
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 51,918
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Not speaking for anyone else that mentioned it too, but I don't think pointing out or noticing that it looked deliberate to cast actors of different races just to mix things up equates to "whining" about it or assumes that I must want more white actors cast in all of those roles. It was just an observation. Someone mentioned Power Rangers before, and I had the same thought of "oh, they needed an asian guy, a black guy, a hispanic girl, etc..."

You guys are so obnoxious
__________________
4x Sheep Champion
VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL | SHEEPERHERO II

And of course you can GFY. -chess
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 10:13 AM   #184
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,805
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

The farther I get away from this movie the worse I think it was. I still enjoyed Holland and Keaton but not much else. I hope it's just that Marvel Studios phoned it in since it wasn't really their movie, or there was too much Sony interference or anything really to explain why they made such an uninspired movie. It doesn't bode well for Black Panther or Captain Marvel.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 10:13 AM   #185
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,641
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
And if all those roles were filled with white actors, how would they have been any better?
You mean if they had just continued to honor the source material and not try to reinvent the wheel for PC and marketing reasons? Maybe they could have spent the time actually working on the script for those characters rather than spending time figuring out what ethnicity they wanted to change those characters to and how they would change the personalities and characteristics of the characters. They clearly spent a fair amount of time re-imagining all those characters rather than spending that time trying to make the characters interesting.

Time is a finite resource when you're making a movie on a schedule.
__________________
- Still prefers physical media to downloads or streaming...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 10:19 AM   #186
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,805
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

They needed an Indian guy in the movie so they made him smart and not an athlete. If Flash was Indian, a football player, and a bully the fact that he was Indian wouldn't have stood out. I just got the feeling that they wrote the part specifically for a race. Liz could have been black, white, whatever and she still would have been a horribly written character same with Michelle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 10:34 AM   #187
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 9,013
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

In this film, Peter was in a science and technology school for smart kids. Dumb jock Flash would have been out of place in this environment.
__________________
"I doubt anyone would use any of my comments in their signature." - gcribbs

-----
PSN: CactusKind
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 10:39 AM   #188
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,805
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 10:47 AM   #189
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 22,384
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I agree that the diverse cast had little to do with how shallow some of the characters are. But despite the shallowness I think they did a great job.

The number one priority here was re re establishing Spider-Man and Peter which they did. Much of the movie is focused on him, naturally, which didn't leave a ton of time for the supporting cast. Flash was a joke and little more than comic relief but to be honest it's not like he's particularly memorable in any of the other films, and there was really no time to develop some complex bullying plot line that would do justice to the term in this day and age. Liz's main role was to get us to the Parker/Vulture dynamic, which it set up really well (and in terms of diverse casting that was definitely intentional and added a lot to the "twist"). Prowler had to be black, even if we never get a Miles Morales film. As for Michelle... well, that was set up, I guess.

It's like everyone wanted more Iron Man in their Spider-Man, and when he pretty much takes over Uncle Ben's role and squeezes out time that could have been spent on the side characters there's a lot of complaints, and yet most still love the fact RDJ was in this movie.

Most magnet schools at least around here don't have football teams. Not sure about Queens though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 11:16 AM   #190
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,759
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber View Post
the farther i get away from this movie the worse i think it was. I still enjoyed holland and keaton but not much else. I hope it's just that marvel studios phoned it in since it wasn't really their movie, or there was too much sony interference or anything really to explain why they made such an uninspired movie.
+1
__________________
"I get paid to be suspicious when I've got nothing to be suspicious about." -- The Firm
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 12:40 PM   #191
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 25,544
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Maybe they could have spent the time actually working on the script for those characters rather than spending time figuring out what ethnicity they wanted to change those characters to and how they would change the personalities and characteristics of the characters.
Do you actually think that the casting and the writing were done by the same person?
__________________
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 01:17 PM   #192
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 28,840
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Not speaking for anyone else that mentioned it too, but I don't think pointing out or noticing that it looked deliberate to cast actors of different races just to mix things up equates to "whining" about it or assumes that I must want more white actors cast in all of those roles. It was just an observation. Someone mentioned Power Rangers before, and I had the same thought of "oh, they needed an asian guy, a black guy, a hispanic girl, etc..."

You guys are so obnoxious
I don't mind the diversity.. if they were cast as different characters not based upon any that were already established in the source material.
__________________
Oh, don't be the victim. Don't make up excuses because you're a dumbass. - Lynda Thompson
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 02:48 PM   #193
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,641
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Do you actually think that the casting and the writing were done by the same person?
Of course not, but the producers and writers have to spend a significant amount of time brainstorming changes like that before casting can be done.

That extra time would have been better spent punching up the script itself since the supporting characters sucked so much.
__________________
- Still prefers physical media to downloads or streaming...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 03:09 PM   #194
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 17,961
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
You mean if they had just continued to honor the source material and not try to reinvent the wheel for PC and marketing reasons? Maybe they could have spent the time actually working on the script for those characters rather than spending time figuring out what ethnicity they wanted to change those characters to and how they would change the personalities and characteristics of the characters. They clearly spent a fair amount of time re-imagining all those characters rather than spending that time trying to make the characters interesting.
So then you agree then, that the problem was not the ethnicity of the actors in their roles, but rather how thin and underwritten those roles were to begin with?

Ergo, "forced diversity" wasn't the problem.
__________________
The only thing that would have made that movie watchable is if she could lick her own ass. - Josh-da-man
Fuck you and your whore asshole that Eddie Money wouldn't dare touch. - Solid Snake
I wonder if I would turn invisible if I stick my finger up her ass. - Josh-da-man
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 03:15 PM   #195
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 5,837
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I agree that the diverse cast had little to do with how shallow some of the characters are. But despite the shallowness I think they did a great job.

The number one priority here was re re establishing Spider-Man and Peter which they did. Much of the movie is focused on him, naturally, which didn't leave a ton of time for the supporting cast. Flash was a joke and little more than comic relief but to be honest it's not like he's particularly memorable in any of the other films, and there was really no time to develop some complex bullying plot line that would do justice to the term in this day and age. Liz's main role was to get us to the Parker/Vulture dynamic, which it set up really well (and in terms of diverse casting that was definitely intentional and added a lot to the "twist"). Prowler had to be black, even if we never get a Miles Morales film. As for Michelle... well, that was set up, I guess.
yep, I didn't go to see a Spider Friends movie I went to see a Spider-Man movie and on that this movie finally delivered
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 03:16 PM   #196
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 25,544
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
So then you agree then, that the problem was not the ethnicity of the actors in their roles, but rather how thin and underwritten those roles were to begin with?

Ergo, "forced diversity" wasn't the problem.
Exactly.

I for one had zero interest in seeing the same Flash and MJ/Gwen. We had that in two separate movie franchises. I wanted something different from Spider-Man, and a more modern take on a story first written when everyone was white is fine.

I also had no problems with the writing of their scenes. I thought they were a fun group of kids to follow and gave us a bigger number of people for Peter to interact with than we got with either the Maguire or Garfield movies.
__________________
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 03:24 PM   #197
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 830
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I have zero interest in all that extra miles morales stuff (I stop collecting/reading comics way before that story line was introduce) and dont care how they changed Flash/MJ.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 04:05 PM   #198
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,641
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
So then you agree then, that the problem was not the ethnicity of the actors in their roles, but rather how thin and underwritten those roles were to begin with?

Ergo, "forced diversity" wasn't the problem.
Yes, it was. Because they spent their time unwisely. Rather than spending enough time to punch up the supporting characters so that they were NOT lame they spent time trying to reinvent the wheel and be inclusive.

They clearly didn't have enough time to do both.
__________________
- Still prefers physical media to downloads or streaming...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 04:10 PM   #199
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 69,593
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

That doesn't make sense. There were no references to the ethnicity of any of the characters except Aunt May. You could swap out any of the actors with a white actor and it would work just the same way. These are issues with the script that have nothing to do with "inclusiveness".
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 04:44 PM   #200
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,641
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That doesn't make sense. There were no references to the ethnicity of any of the characters except Aunt May. You could swap out any of the actors with a white actor and it would work just the same way. These are issues with the script that have nothing to do with "inclusiveness".
That just points out how they needed to spend that time on the script rather than figuring out the new ethnicities and characteristics of the characters. They didn't spend their time wisely.
__________________
- Still prefers physical media to downloads or streaming...
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0