Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
14.12%
30.59%
41.18%
8.24%
3.53%
0%
2.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-08-17, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Caught a matinee today and I also really enjoyed it.

Great mix of humor, action and heart. Holland IMO was the perfect Peter Parker. Dorky and funny and most importantly not perfect. His character is only 15 years old and he made many dumb mistakes trying to learn the ropes of being a super hero. I liked how this incarnation of the character had Tony Stark as his mentor. I really liked their interactions with each other. Keaton was a great villain. He's not dead, so he could definitely come back in the next Spidey movie.

Ok, question about the timeline. The opening scene with Keaton and his crew digging through the rubble at Avengers headquarters....that was from the 1st Avengers movie correct? The battle of New York that left it in shambles. The 1st Avengers movie was in 2012. Then they jump forward in time 8 years later. So Spider-Man: Homecoming is supposed to be in the year 2020? Or is this one of those things where the movie takes place in an unnamed year.

So 8 years have really passed since the battle of New York in the MCU? I know they have never referenced years, but that seems like a really long time.

Also, I noticed one of the scenes from the trailers didn't make the movie. The scene where Tony was in Peter's apartment and was admiring Aunt May was nowhere to be found. I wonder if that was a deleted scene or something cut specifically for the trailer.

And I kind of liked this version of MJ. Not the perfect All-American sweetheart that Peter was madly in love with. But, an outsider and loner.

Also, I absolutely loved the new Peter POV scenes from Captain America: Civil War. That was a pretty cool element, especially with him going crazy on his cell camera.

A really good time. Best Spidey Movie as someone said since Part 2 13 years ago. Looking forward to seeing Spidey back next year in the next Avengers movie. Too bad he didn't accept that new suit from Tony.
Old 07-08-17, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

So perfect, so fun. Easily the best Spidey movie, and dare I say best MCU movie? I hope Fox is watching and begs Marvel to share the Fantastic Four.
Old 07-08-17, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I thought all of MJ's lines fell completely flat. None of them worked for me, and there was hardly any audience reaction. It was like she was trying way too hard to be the cool outsider.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 07-08-17 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-08-17, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I thought the movie was good, but the original two with Tobey Maguire were better. Michael Keaton did a great job and stole the show, as did Holland, but I wasn't a fan of the most of the cast. Flash Thompson was the worst offender of having his character so rewritten, I'm not even sure why it had to be Flash in the final film. I felt Peter and Liz had no chemistry, so I was happy to see that she was moved off at the end of the film. I guess Ned and Michelle were ok and the ending of Aunt May finding out about Peter being Spider-man was hilarious. All in all, I enjoyed the movie, but it had its flaws as well.
Old 07-08-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I thought all of MJ's lines fell completely flat. None of them worked for me, and there was hardly any audience reaction. It was like she was trying way too hard to the cool outsider.
Which makes me wonder, are we ever going to see a proper comic style MJ in a movie?
Old 07-08-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Q: did Vulture have a daughter in the comics, or was that just an idea they had for Raimi's aborted sequel?

I really had no problem with the changing of ethnicity with MJ (who still isn't Mary Jane, it's Michelle) and Flash. I really could care less about a lot of the changes to comic adaptations (and this is from someone who has read Spider-Man more than any comic in his long comic reading life) as long as the end product is a good movie.
Old 07-08-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Q: did Vulture have a daughter in the comics , or was that just an idea they had for Raimi's aborted sequel?

I really had no problem with the changing of ethnicity with MJ (who still isn't Mary Jane, it's Michelle) and Flash. I really could care less about a lot of the changes to comic adaptations (and this is from someone who has read Spider-Man more than any comic in his long comic reading life) as long as the end product is a good movie.
He does, but she's a significantly different character in the comics and has only appeared once -- pretty much a footnote in the Vulture's history.
Old 07-08-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Love Spiderman 2 but this was better overall
Old 07-08-17, 03:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Spider-Man: Homecoming...what a totally fun and enjoyable movie viewing experience. just fun all the way around. probably the most fun movie in the MCU. for kids and adults alike. everyone was having a blast. Holland, Keaton were just great, as was RDJ, of course. liked the twist. great direction, action, the cameos, the Captain America stuff was priceless, especially the detention one. loved they played the theme song in the opening Marvel logo scroll. just a rollicking good time at the movies. the only groan i had was the reveal of MJ. that just seemed so stupid considering the character in this movie.

a solid:
Old 07-08-17, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Which makes me wonder, are we ever going to see a proper comic style MJ in a movie?
Kirsten Dunst wasn't proper enough?
Old 07-08-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Kirsten Dunst wasn't proper enough?
No, because 1) she wasn't a natural red head, and 2) she wasn't model hot like in the comics, and 3) the way she was written or the way she delivered her lines was nothing like the bubbly, fun-loving, partying persona of the comic's version.

I thought Kirsten Dunst did a fine job, because overall I liked the first two movies. But I can see why some fans want a more accurate portrayal.
Old 07-08-17, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Another dependable MCU movie. It's fun. Made me laugh and cry a little. Michael Keaton's character was extraordinary. Good stuff.

Marvel doesn't seem to fall into black/white good/evil villains. Most obvious in Civil War. I love that dynamic. I could almost (almost) side with Keaton in this one. I could easily see Tony Stark becoming a villain (not sure if that was ever part of an comic arc).

Kind of hoping Thor 2 delivers something a little new. Like Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor 1 did. Pretty much everything else has followed the style setup by Iron Man.
Old 07-08-17, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Decent movie. Lots very right in this movie but it sums up to be less than its parts.

Most accurate vision of Spiderman so far at least to me.

Liked the school.

Loved the first 40 minutes but it lost a lot of steam going down the standard super hero path.

I think this movie could have stayed smaller with more elements like the deli owner and just seeing him develop as a super hero without a major big bad, and more of his interactions in high school.

But I do enjoy it. Movie had a good tone.

Not sure Id ever watch it again.

3.5 stars
Old 07-08-17, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Caught a matinee today and I also really enjoyed it.

Great mix of humor, action and heart. Holland IMO was the perfect Peter Parker. Dorky and funny and most importantly not perfect. His character is only 15 years old and he made many dumb mistakes trying to learn the ropes of being a super hero. I liked how this incarnation of the character had Tony Stark as his mentor. I really liked their interactions with each other. Keaton was a great villain. He's not dead, so he could definitely come back in the next Spidey movie.

Ok, question about the timeline. The opening scene with Keaton and his crew digging through the rubble at Avengers headquarters....that was from the 1st Avengers movie correct? The battle of New York that left it in shambles. The 1st Avengers movie was in 2012. Then they jump forward in time 8 years later. So Spider-Man: Homecoming is supposed to be in the year 2020? Or is this one of those things where the movie takes place in an unnamed year.

So 8 years have really passed since the battle of New York in the MCU? I know they have never referenced years, but that seems like a really long time.

Also, I noticed one of the scenes from the trailers didn't make the movie. The scene where Tony was in Peter's apartment and was admiring Aunt May was nowhere to be found. I wonder if that was a deleted scene or something cut specifically for the trailer.

And I kind of liked this version of MJ. Not the perfect All-American sweetheart that Peter was madly in love with. But, an outsider and loner.

Also, I absolutely loved the new Peter POV scenes from Captain America: Civil War. That was a pretty cool element, especially with him going crazy on his cell camera.

A really good time. Best Spidey Movie as someone said since Part 2 13 years ago. Looking forward to seeing Spidey back next year in the next Avengers movie. Too bad he didn't accept that new suit from Tony.
I too loved that Civil War footage. Just great...
Old 07-08-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Another dependable MCU movie. It's fun. Made me laugh and cry a little. Michael Keaton's character was extraordinary. Good stuff.

Marvel doesn't seem to fall into black/white good/evil villains. Most obvious in Civil War. I love that dynamic. I could almost (almost) side with Keaton in this one. I could easily see Tony Stark becoming a villain (not sure if that was ever part of an comic arc).

Kind of hoping Thor 2 delivers something a little new. Like Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor 1 did. Pretty much everything else has followed the style setup by Iron Man.
There is already a Thor 2.

Anyway this movie was great.

Right with the first 2 as my favorites.

Would be nice to Have a MJ Watson like in the comics but guess that will never happen.
Aunt May shouldnt have people droolling over her either.

Everything else was great. 4.5 stars
Old 07-08-17, 07:48 PM

Also, weren't Tony and Pepper broke up in Civil War?
Old 07-08-17, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Liked it, but still thought it had some problems.

I wasn't really a fan of the high tech suit. I couldn't really get a sense of what actual powers Peter had on his own. It seemed like the suit was enhancing his powers at the very least. Did he ever have a high tech suit in the comics or did they just come up with this for the movie?

I missed the shots of Spidey swinging around skyscrapers in the city like in the previous movies. Also too much of the Spidey action took place at night.

Peter/Spider-man was a bit too hyperactive. Does he have ADHD or something?

No mention of Uncle Ben or Peter's parents? There was no real sense of tragedy in Peter's past. Also, in the other movies, Peter's family always seemed to be under financial hardship, but none of that here. Really, there was no point to the Aunt May character other than Peter needing a guardian at this point in his life.

So is Zendaya supposed to be MJ Watson? Or just another character called MJ?

Anyone else catch that the female high school news person was named Betty Brant?

Last edited by windom; 07-08-17 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-08-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I was really looking forward to this one as I loved Spidey's appearance in Civil War, and it did not disappoint at all!

First, I'm so glad that we didn't have to slog through another freaking Spiderman origin version. We've seen that story enough already. I don't want to go through how he gets the powers and the spider bite. That's the problem I had with the Garfield version. It just felt so crammed and weighted with telling the origin plus trying to introduce a new villian and then villian's origin story. It lacked any fun.

But this movie hit a great balance of being fun, exciting and emotional at times. Holland gave a great performance. It really hit home for me when Spiderman gets crushed under the rumble. He has no suit, completely beaten and feeling helpless. Amost reduced to tears. Even though I knew he would get out of the jam, Holland really sold me there and the payoff comes later when he shows Stark a new level of maturity. Also, the Happy scenes were so fun as well.
Old 07-08-17, 09:39 PM

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This Mondo poster is pretty cool:
They had some 11x17 cardstock versions of this one at participating Cinemark theaters. I saw the girl at the ticket podium ask a little boy if he wanted one on the way out. Then his dad and everyone else (including me) started grabbing one as well. She never said we couldn't.

My dad was waiting outside because he claims to have hated the movie (funny, considering he slept through most of it) and didn't feel like watching the end credits. Still, he thought the poster looked nice and went back in the theater to grab one for my brother. The same girl told him he couldn't have one because they were reserved for 3D XD ticket holders, so he left empty handed. I guess she was just being generous by offering one to the kid, but it opened the flood gates for others and she put the kibosh on that.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-08-17 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-08-17, 09:44 PM

Yeah the traditional take on the origin story is enough with the well established franchises under Sony. Great they rebooted him instead of redoing what has already been done. It was brilliant, him in Civil War and brilliant bringing him in there...
Old 07-08-17, 10:20 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
What does Stan Lee play in this?
Spoiler:
There's a scene where Spider-Man makes a lot of noise and a bunch of people stick their heads out the window to tell him to keep it down. Stan is one of those people.
Old 07-08-17, 10:24 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Saw it last night, and I would put it right up there with the original with Tobey. A good continuation of Civil War (Peters personal video was hysterical) and some good call backs to the first Avengers.

Keaton did a great job. Did not chew up the scenery, took it seriously, and had better motivation than most recent villains.
Agree on all counts. I loved the first two Toby movies; in some ways, this is better than those. Someone involved in the production of this movie clearly loved and understood classic Spider-Man.

I mean, the scene where
Spoiler:
Spidey is trapped under the rubble and has to summon the inner strength to lift the rubble off of him? That's one of the most classic Spider-Man scenes ever, and I was so glad they homaged it.

2 after credit scenes:

Spoiler:
1 mid way, Keaton and Scorpion meet in prison, scorpion says he has some friends on the outside. Sinister 6?

End credits, Cap doing a PSA about patience and sometimes waiting has little payoff. Cute, but got a groan from the audience.
Spoiler:
As I was leaving the theater, I overheard a guy telling his friend "If you're going to get rick-rolled, you might as well get rick-rolled by Captain America."

Old 07-08-17, 10:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Also, weren't Tony and Pepper broke up in Civil War?
They were on a break while Marvel negotiated a new contract with her.
Old 07-08-17, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by windom

So is Zendaya supposed to be MJ Watson? Or just another character called MJ?
At this point, who knows. It was kinda dumb to have that as a throw away line with Feige saying its not "THE" MJ. So will this world have two ladies in Parkers life going by MJ?

Why the fuck was Happy such a prick all the time? What the hell happened to that character?
Old 07-08-17, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ebook_20170706

Holland revealed in November he's under contract for 3 solo Spidey movies and 3 appearances in MCU movies.

2 down, 4 more to go.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.