Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Greatest Showman (2017) - Jackman, Williams, Efron, Ferguson - P.T. Barnum bio

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Greatest Showman (2017) - Jackman, Williams, Efron, Ferguson - P.T. Barnum bio

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 06:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: The Greatest Showman (2017) - Jackman, Williams, Efron, Ferguson - P.T. Barnum bi

I’m stubbornly holding out for the autorip version. Reports of my transition to digital only were greatly exaggerated.
Old 01-06-18, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Showman (2017) - Jackman, Williams, Efron, Ferguson - P.T. Barnum bi

Went to see this when my wife said she really wanted to go. Going in I didn't know this movie existed. Loved it. The music and the visuals were great. Actually saw it for a 2nd time as my wife thought this is one you had so see in the theatre and it was every bit as good. Highly recommend.
Old 01-06-18, 10:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

CD still oos at Amazon, but autorip is live now. $10.99 for a future CD and album instantly in my cloud and out my echo. Wife happy.
Old 01-06-18, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yay! Too bad I signed up for the 99 cent 3 months of Amazon Music between then, but good to know I'll have it permanently now
Old 01-06-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
CD still oos at Amazon, but autorip is live now. $10.99 for a future CD and album instantly in my cloud and out my echo. Wife happy.
I was listening to an actual CD in the car today and kinda wishing I’d held out, but at least I’ve not-Spotify-listened to it several times already.

Million Dreams is the one I can’t get out of my head.

Last edited by davidh777; 02-19-18 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-08-18, 12:43 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

A Golden Globe for best song and still in the Top 5 in the Box Office despite the critical lambasting. It's the little movie that could.
Old 02-19-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw this for the second time the other night, and despite listening to the soundtrack repeatedly over the last two months, still loved it. Packed theater still on a Sunday night too.
Old 02-19-18, 11:27 AM

I've seen the movie 7 times since December (including one IMAX and one sing-a-long). I must be crazy since I've never watched a movie that many times in the theaters. There's something about it that really speaks to me. Maybe it's the music, the spectacle, the message about reaching out to outcasts or the general goodwill that it exudes from beginning to end. If you haven't seen it yet and are curious give it a matinee watch because it's going to lose a lot of the spectacle on the small screen (but not its heart).
Old 02-19-18, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

This is the first movie I have seen twice in theaters in the last few years (thank you Movie Pass).

My girlfriend dragged me begrudgingly to it as I despised the trailer and I am not a fan of musicals in general.

But this movie is a true crowd-pleaser. The music is catchy, well sung and emotional. The acting is good and the sets and CG are well done (with the fake looking backgrounds done perfectly). The choreography is attention grabbing and fun to watch.

Just a great all around movie. There is a reason this movie is consistently making more money every weekend. I immediately streamed the soundtrack several times over the first time I saw it and took my 13 year-old son to see it the very next day (who also begrudgingly went but ended up liking it too).

I plan to buy the soundtrack and have told anyone who would listen to go see this movie. Enjoy!

My rating: ****1/2 out of *****
Old 02-19-18, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

I haven't encountered anyone yet that has watched this movie and not loved it. So much better than it should be. One of those movies where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Hugh Jackman is just an amazing Showman (pun intended). It's amazing how he can seemlessly transition between wolverine and roles like this.

My favorite song is This is Me. I'm torn between that song and Remember Me for Oscar winner. Keala Settle is just amazing though.
Old 02-19-18, 11:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I saw a bit of first number. Sounded magnificent. Will wait to stream...
Old 02-19-18, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Absolutely agree. This is an absolutely delightful film and my favorite of the year. Is it formulaic? Oh yes. Is it a fun, colorful, feel-good romp? HELL YES. I was deeply depressed (like people were asking me if I needed to go to the hospital) and it was my mom's birthday and she wanted to see a movie, so I went to see it not even knowing what it was about. Most movies are an endurance trial for me these days. But, my skepticism and cynicism melted away and just gave in to the spectacle. It was a welcome respite for just a few hours from the horribleness I see everyday. I left the theater with a smile on my face and have an inkling to see it again in the theater before it goes. I don't know why it's gotten such a lambasting by the critics. If it were an animated Disney film it would've gotten higher marks. In short, it's worth watching. (And *no* it didn't totally cure my depression, but it gave me a boost for a while and that's worth a lot)

Wow that's an awesome story. I think you should share it with the producers of the film somehow. That's the power of the cinema.

Hope things start going your way PatD!
Old 02-20-18, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I haven't encountered anyone yet that has watched this movie and not loved it.
I didn't love it. I've seen it once and it was fine, but I have no desire to see it again
Old 02-20-18, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Me either. In fact, it would be overstating to say that I even liked it. It was OK, and I'm generally a fan of musicals. There was some spectacle to it, but I felt the story was pretty slight. Plus, celebrating Barnum felt a little wrong to me.
Old 02-26-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
I've seen the movie 7 times since December (including one IMAX and one sing-a-long). I must be crazy since I've never watched a movie that many times in the theaters. There's something about it that really speaks to me. Maybe it's the music, the spectacle, the message about reaching out to outcasts or the general goodwill that it exudes from beginning to end. If you haven't seen it yet and are curious give it a matinee watch because it's going to lose a lot of the spectacle on the small screen (but not its heart).
That kinda reflects the way I felt about Moulin Rouge! when it hit the screens 15 years ago. I took it in multiple times when it made it's initial run, and then when it appeared on my Navy base for a weeklong run I made it to all but one showing. Like TGS, MR was meant to be seen on a screen as big as a wall, not on a TV in your living room.

I went to see TGS this past weekend - I did not know it was a musical (where the fuck have I been?!?) and was thrilled. I'm hoping to catch it again before it closes down.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 02-26-18 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-26-18, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I really liked Showman but never warmed up to Moulin Rouge though I knew people who swore by it. I did see it on DVD, though.
Old 03-03-18, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Oh man. I absolutely loved this.

Total crowd pleaser and beautiful looking movie. Great songs, great chemistry and dance choreography with the cast and I thought Jackman was excellent as Barnum. Costumes and sets were also great.

Just pure fun and made you smile. Soundtrack was amazing. I'll definitely look into getting it.

I just feel pumped up and inspired after watching this. I also liked that this was a tight 95 minutes before credits. Not all big movies need to be 2+ hours. I felt very satisfied.

Rebecca Ferguson was stunning as Jenny Lind. Pretty amazing that her singing voice was actually Loren Allred, who competed in season 2 of The Voice.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4F4OHpYA0FA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-04-18, 10:38 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Count me in as someone who is completely obsessed with this musical. I listen to the sound track multiple times a day and have probably averaged seeing the movie once a day since I bought it off iTunes last month on the 23rd. The songs are simply incredible. I loved the Oscar nominated song This Is Me on the Oscars and was shocked it didn’t win and I hadn’t even seen the movie. I’ve had a really, really bad couple of weeks, so I recommend this for anyone who is going through bad times especially. I’m so glad it found an audience.

Yes, it’s predictable as all hell. I couldn’t care in the slightest. Everyone is great. Songs are fantastic. My personal favorite is “Rewrite the Stars”. Sure, some stories felt short changed, could have been expanded or whatever, but I think that would have sacrificed the running time, which is just perfect for this sort of musical that needs to hit all the beats without hitting too many and becoming a drag.

I think this will surprise a lot of people who were on the fence about seeing it like I was. An almost guarantee this will be a Broadway show with additional songs. I’d make the trip to NYC in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Brack; 04-04-18 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 10:57 PM

holy fuck, can't wait to see this...
Old 04-04-18, 11:19 PM

I saw it for the last time in the theaters yesterday--they had a "sing-a-long" version. This brings my tally up to 12 times (mainly bargain matinees and the like), but there's something truly magical about this movie. Could characters have been fleshed out more? Sure. But, it moves along at a steady clip and there's not an ounce of fat in terms of extraneous scenes. Is it the smartest movie? No. But, I put my jadedness aside every time the film begins until it ends.

It's one the greatest feel-good movies I've ever seen and considering that I've had a shit couple of months, this was as good a tonic as any. I'll be there the opening at Best Buy on Tuesday to pick up this steelbook blu-ray.
Old 04-05-18, 07:17 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We finally watched it in an empty theater a couple of weeks ago. I mean, my wife and I were literally the only two people there, so it was like a private screening.

It was absolutely enchanting, and I purchased the digital version on Vudu last week.
Old 04-06-18, 08:00 PM

Holy shit are these songs infectious. Great stuff! I will see the inevitable Broadway smash hit!
Old 04-11-18, 07:01 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CaE0JD1X12g" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-11-18, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

That was great. Love the "true to life" songs.
Old 04-11-18, 03:51 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I saw this today. First and foremost... what a crock of shit making this movie about P.T. Barnum this way. The movie itself is a con to everyone. It could've just been a fictitious character and it would've maybe sat a little better.

A few decent songs, but the musical styles were all over the place. I'm a fan of musicals, but this was nothing special at all. I can't imagine watching it more than once, let alone a dozen times.

Rebecca Ferguson is gorgeous and Zendaya is hot as hell. Some decent production design. But not much else. That Honest Trailer was more amusing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.