DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Another Alien prequel (D: Scott) - News, rumors, etc. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/640526-another-alien-prequel-d-scott-news-rumors-etc.html)

dex14 05-09-17 04:38 PM

Another Alien prequel (D: Scott) - News, rumors, etc.

Ridley keeps saying he's going to keep making them so...

We already knew that Ridley Scott wants to make more Alien films after Covenant - but we now know he intends to begin shooting the first of them by next year.

Speaking to IGN, Scott said that, "we're writing [a sequel] now, as we speak. I'll be filming that within 14 months."

When asked if he planned to resolve unanswered questions about the Alien universe in future movies, Scott explained that the story has been left "wide open" by design: "That's why I'm doing it, so you're asking these questions."

Scott has previously mentioned a title, "Awakening" when talking about four possible future Alien films, and intimated that it could take place between Prometheus and Covenant. However, in this interview, he refers to Neill Blomkamp's now-canned Alien 5 as Awakening.

"They wanted to do Alien, er, Awakening - Neill Blomkamp", he explained in the latest interview. "I said fine. I was going to be the producer. If I could have, I would have. Except I do question - why have both [Blomkamp's Alien and Scott's Alien] out there? It seems like shooting your big toe off - it doesn't make sense.

"But they didn't go forward with it, Fox, so I just kind of kept out of it. I mean, I'd literally ignited this thing to bring it off the ground again, because it was lying there dormant on a shelf. I had this thing to bring it back up - but here we are."

Scott also made clear that he'd like to keep making Alien films as long as his sequels remain up to standard: "It's good when it's good. If the sequel's good, then it's worthwhile."

And it is good - the new movie may retain some of Prometheus' less welcome elements, but our review says that "while Covenant continues to pose new questions, it also provides answers, and does so within a much more immediately enjoyable and rewarding experience."

Alien: Covenant will be released on May 12 in the UK, May 18 in Australia, and May 19 in the US.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/...s-ridley-scott

TomOpus 05-09-17 07:00 PM

Re: Untitled Alien film (D: Ridley Scott) - News, rumors, etc.

Huh...a sequel to Prometheus but a prequel to Covenant. A seprequel? Presequel?

Dr. DVD 05-09-17 08:04 PM

Can we just put a sock in it with these movies already? Ridley Scott has taken what could have easily been done through a flashback in a new Alien movie and turned it into a big bloated mess. He and Peter Jackson should team up to make a nine movie adaptation of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (that way we get background on each reindeer before we finally see Rudolph in the last movie).

inri222 05-09-17 08:15 PM

I'm sure $cott got all these ideas in his head 38 years ago after reading Dan O'Bannon's script. :sarcasm:

Abob Teff 05-09-17 11:12 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsqalzGNII1qawewr.gif

Ridley, er, uh, pardon me but, uh, you have a huge chunk of ego stuck in your teeth.

Wasn't there an interview a few weeks ago where he claimed HE killed Blompkamp's project?

fumanstan 05-10-17 01:11 AM

If the Covenant reviews hold up and the movie does well, I don't see why not :shrug:

mattysemo247 05-10-17 01:11 PM

As long as Blompkamp is out of the picture, I don't care who the directors are going forward. District 9 was decent, but Elysium was OK at best and Chappie was downright horrible.

RichC2 05-10-17 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13069595)
Wasn't there an interview a few weeks ago where he claimed HE killed Blompkamp's project?

If so, I'm pretty grateful.

inri222 05-10-17 01:34 PM

I'd personally like a prequel to The Duellists. Need to know more about those 2 French guys and whether or not they are related to Ellen Ripley or Rick Deckard. :sarcasm:

DaveyJoe 05-10-17 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13069653)
If the Covenant reviews hold up and the movie does well, I don't see why not :shrug:

If I find Covenant entertaining, I would gladly welcome more sequels. They will never reach the original, but they also don't diminish it for me. I love horror movies, so I'm happy that Scott is producing slick, scary Alien movies.

Abob Teff 05-10-17 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13070073)
I'd personally like a prequel to The Duellists. Need to know more about those 2 French guys and whether or not they are related to Ellen Ripley or Rick Deckard. :sarcasm:

No, but Deckard and Ripley are descendents of Maximus. That has been planned since Scott was a child and first saw Ben Hur.

Daytripper 06-21-17 08:26 PM

Alien: Awakening (D: Scott) - News, rumors, etc.

Looks like Ridley Scott is still planning on more "Alien" films in spite of the less than stellar box-office for "Alien: Covenant".

http://movieweb.com/alien-awakening-...ineers-return/

Alien: Covenant came and went like a flash in the pan. Heading into 2017, it was one of the most buzzed about sequels being released, but that buzz fizzled pretty quickly and it didn't translate to box office success. That hasn't stopped Ridley Scott from having some very big plans for the Alien franchise, which includes at least one prequel to the original Alien that will take place after the events of Alien: Covenant. Now, thanks to a newly surfaced interview clip, some story details for Alien: Awakening, the proposed Alien: Covenant sequel, have surfaced.

Warning: spoilers ahead for Alien: Covenant. The clip made its way online via the Ding Dan YouTube channel, and it appears to be an interview that Ridley Scott did prior to the release of Alien: Covenant. In the video, the director talks about where the story for the sequel, currently titled Alien: Awakening, will go. He doesn't reveal too much, but it's a lot more than we knew previously. Here's what he had to say about it.

"We're being written now. There'll be three or four different players coming in to investigate. One of which will be the Engineers arriving back to find their planet decimated. I think those ships come and go on regular intervals. I see them as the gardeners of space. Where we go next is obvious. We're gonna actually go to the planet. In so doing...I'm not going to tell you the story!"

Given how Alien: Covenant ended, this seems to make a lot of sense. The planet was left in really bad shape, with the Engineers all killed off, thanks to David's sadistic arrival. The idea of several people "investigating" this incident is interesting. But the real question is, what planet is he talking about? Is Ridley Scott saying the Alien: Covenant sequel will be going back to the planet that David was on for all those years? Is he saying we are actually going to go to the real Engineers homeworld? Does he mean Origae-6, the planet that David seemed to be headed to at the end of the movie? Or, perhaps most sensibly, does he mean LV-426, the planet from the original Alien? Lots of questions. But sadly, we may never get them answered.

Ridley Scott has, or maybe just had, some very lofty plans for the Alien franchise following the release of Alien: Covenant. He wants to do one more prequel to the original Alien, Alien: Awakening, and, if Scott still gets his way, there may be another entire trilogy of Alien movies at some other point in the series' timeline. The problem is, the movie has not done all that well at the box office. It currently sits at $213 million worldwide, which is about half of what Prometheus made. So we may not even get to see Alien: Awakening at all at this point. It would be frustrating not to get any resolution. The ball is in Fox's court now. You can check out the interview clip with Ridley Scott for yourself below.

inri222 06-22-17 09:06 AM

re: Another Alien prequel (D: Scott) - News, rumors, etc.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChjxtisWMAAgxRB.jpg

dex14 11-15-18 09:33 AM

EmpireMagazine has dropped some interesting plot details in their new Empire Classics Alien Special issue (we’ve been able to get a copy) concerning John Logan’s (Alien: Covenant) script for the on-hiatus Alien: Awakening, that may or may not ever see the light of day.

Mentioning that in that script surviving Engineers of David’s genocide on Paradise would enact some sort of revenge, and piecing together that the setting would take place on LV-426 from some previous statements made by Ridley Scott.

Here is the excerpt from the magazine concerning the Alien: Awakening details.

“Logan’s script would have seen the return of Prometheus’ Engineers, with that species’ survivors coming after the genocidal David. Setting-wise, Scott said it was obvious ‘we’re gonna actually go to the planet’. By which we assume he means LV-426.”

UPDATE: Our friends over at AVPGalaxy pointed us towards this interview with Ridley talking about Engineers going after David.

<iframe width="696" height="392" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yWxDGO_9ZPg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This would, of course, be the planet from Alien and Aliens, which could explain how the derelict ship that the crew of the Nostromo encounter in the original film. Some fan theories have suggested that the Space Jockey on LV-426 is actually David in a new hybrid body.

Could these Engineers be responsible for downing the ship and marooning the eggs on LV-426? Would we see the xenomorphs finally used as a bio-weapon against an army of Engineers? This brings up more questions than answers which is the idea with these movies.

That certainly would be interesting and give the Prometheus saga the bookend that Scott has been seeking and having it line-up directly with Alien.

It remains to be seen if this will ever get made and even more so if that’s exactly a story that 20th Century Fox would want to make. Although, you’d expect the studio would want to ignite more movies as Alien 5 would.

We likely won’t hear anything concrete about future Alien franchise plans until after the merger with Disney has been completely finalized.
https://hnentertainment.co/alien-awa...vid-on-lv-426/

Rival11 11-15-18 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 13069445)
Can we just put a sock in it with these movies already? Ridley Scott has taken what could have easily been done through a flashback in a new Alien movie and turned it into a big bloated mess. He and Peter Jackson should team up to make a nine movie adaptation of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (that way we get background on each reindeer before we finally see Rudolph in the last movie).

I know your post is old but If you read into the all of the recently released material on what was going on in Prometheus and Covenant you will find an amazing story that ties all they way back to the first Alien film.

EDIT: lol any by the looks of it, most people still don't understand Prometheus and Covenant.

melasnus 11-15-18 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13444521)

This is where it all rests:
"We likely won’t hear anything concrete about future Alien franchise plans until after the merger with Disney has been completely finalized."

Hopefully, some of Disney's execs are big-time Alien fans and we can get franchise going again. -pray-

lopper 11-15-18 02:29 PM

I ended up loving Covenant after a second viewing and still think it's great. I'd love to see another one of these if he keeps to the Alien/s vibe.

Daytripper 11-15-18 05:47 PM

They should have continued with the Engineers story as a follow-up to "Prometheus". Instead of that awful "Alien: Covenant".

Dan 11-15-18 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11 (Post 13444525)
I know your post is old but If you read into the all of the recently released material on what was going on in Prometheus and Covenant you will find an amazing story that ties all they way back to the first Alien film.

EDIT: lol any by the looks of it, most people still don't understand Prometheus and Covenant.

Got any good links to share? I actually really like both flicks but haven't spent too much time seeking out that info. Would appreciate a step in the right direction. :)

fumanstan 11-15-18 06:45 PM

This reads like "I liked these movies, so if you didn't then you just don't understand them" to me :shrug:

I liked Prometheus and disliked Covenant. I think there's some interesting things that Ridley has tried to do, but also a lot of bad and overly complicated things.

candyrocket786 11-15-18 07:22 PM

...but doesn't it also invalidate the sequels (No Queen), Predator 2 and anything AVP related?

melasnus 11-15-18 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13444885)
This reads like "I liked these movies, so if you didn't then you just don't understand them" to me :shrug:

Agreed.
Tip: if a person needs CliffsNotes to "understand" a movie, it's a shitty movie.

I liked Prometheus and disliked Covenant. I think there's some interesting things that Ridley has tried to do, but also a lot of bad and overly complicated things.
For me, Covenant was just "OK," but it wasn't the sequel to Prometheus I was hoping for. :(

Abob Teff 11-16-18 12:01 AM

In space, nobody can hear me scream.

inri222 11-16-18 08:46 AM

Thank You

Ridley Scott Needs to Stop: Why We Don’t Need Any More Alien Prequels

https://www.tor.com/2017/09/26/ridle...lien-prequels/

Rival11 11-16-18 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by melasnus (Post 13444963)
Agreed.
Tip: if a person needs CliffsNotes to "understand" a movie, it's a shitty movie.

For me, Covenant was just "OK," but it wasn't the sequel to Prometheus I was hoping for. :(

Wrong (but I can see how what I wrote would be taken like that) - They're not "CliffsNotes" either and a lot of the things CAN be found right in the movies themselves if you're paying close attention - for those of us (like myself) that aren't the biggest of aliens fans, there are numerous videos online that wrap it all up very nicely (i.e. how the aliens we designed, why they look like they do, their origian pretty much everything).

Going to have to stand firm on this one and I do believe to an extent that Scott didn't make a lot of it noticeable to avoid the controversy that would have come along with the religious aspect of it - not because he was intimidated by it but because he probably just didn't want to deal with it.