Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Another Alien prequel (D: Scott) - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Another Alien prequel (D: Scott) - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
re: Another Alien prequel (D: Scott) - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by kefrank
It's worth noting that the unicorn dream sequence was not in the theatrical cut of the film. It was first inserted in the 1992 "Director's Cut".
That's what I'm confused about.

The theatrical cut isn't what was first filmed. The original had no narration, and the elevator ending. This is what was shown to test audiences before the studio made them go back, change the ending, and add narration.

But I was surprised to find out that the unicorn dream wasn't in the work print version.
So was it filmed for the 1992 Director's Cut?
According to wikipedia it was filmed when they first made the movie, but the scene was discarded from even the work print version because it was thought to be too "artsy."
And supposedly the full scene was Deckard running through the forest, along with the unicorn. But when they tried to put the scene back in for the '92 DC the footage was too damaged, and only the unicorn part was good to use.
Old 11-21-18, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
the video that I sat through still didn't tell me why the xenomorphs look the way they do.
Why does this matter?
Please explain...

the black goo is supposed to represent sin, but also the Tree of Knowledge, and when it's wielded by the creator, it creates life, like in the intro of Prometheus, but when it's wielded by anyone else, who has selfish interests, it creates destruction.

One theory is that when Jesus (an Engineer in human disguise) was sent to Earth to teach them self sacrifice-a belief the Engineers practice to create life on barren planets-he's crucified by the creations of the Engineers.
The Engineers are so pissed at this, that that somehow triggers their eventual deaths. Maybe their own minds became tainted by anger and revenge, and that made the black goo react negatively, and possibly ended up creating a destructive life form that killed them all.
IMO, that's just too silly.
To get THAT out of this movie is akin to pulling a rabbit out of a hat...or ass.

And supposedly the full scene was Deckard running through the forest, along with the unicorn. But when they tried to put the scene back in for the '92 DC the footage was too damaged, and only the unicorn part was good to use.
Now that IS very interesting.
Old 11-21-18, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by melasnus
Why does this matter?
Please explain...
Rival11 said that there's a specific reason why the xenomorphs look the way they do, and that if we google "Prometheus/Covenant explained" we'll find out.

I watched a YouTube video about it, and read through the Reddit explanations, and still don't know what Rival11 was talking about.

IMO, that's just too silly.
To get THAT out of this movie is akin to pulling a rabbit out of a hat...or ass.
There's kind of an inkling of that in the beginning of Prometheus.
The Engineer drinks the black goo and evaporates, and and it's implied that his molecules or atoms end up mixing with the environment to create humans.
The rest sounds like a big reach.
The way it played out in the film, there seemed to be no real rules to what the black goo could do. It makes Holloway sick, gets Shaw pregnant with an octopus, but turns Fifield into a zombie. And by the end of the film it produces a proto-xenomorph.

The crew of the Prometheus act like scientists from a Z-grade level film when they find an engineer's decapitated head and try to reanimate it with electricity.
With no anti-contamination suits, no protective enclosure, nothing.
Old 11-21-18, 10:46 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That's what I'm confused about.

The theatrical cut isn't what was first filmed. The original had no narration, and the elevator ending. This is what was shown to test audiences before the studio made them go back, change the ending, and add narration.

But I was surprised to find out that the unicorn dream wasn't in the work print version.
So was it filmed for the 1992 Director's Cut?
According to wikipedia it was filmed when they first made the movie, but the scene was discarded from even the work print version because it was thought to be too "artsy."
I’ve never heard any account of Deckert running with the unicorn. But they did film footage of the unicorn. And you are correct that they never used it in ‘82. And when they went to make the so called director’s cut in ‘92 they found very little of the originally shot unicorn footage.

The ‘92 director’s cut was very quickly assembled with Scott not able to participate because he was making 1492. When they really made a proper effort in ‘07 they dug around further and found better stuff.
Old 11-23-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: Untitled Alien film (D: Ridley Scott) - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Rival11
All you have to do is search for: Prometheus explained and Alien Covenant explained - there are some very good videos but it does sound like you're not interested and only want to be confrontational (not in a bad way just a "I'm stubborn and hate these shitty movies" way) - I don't see how anyone can't be at least a little intrigued after watching the video explanations.

To each his or her own, if you still hate them after watching video explanations so be it but the films do make complete sense.
I'm sorry if I come off that way ... while I don't intend to, there is some truth to what you say. I really do enjoy discussing the mess the Alien franchise has become and particularly these movies. No, I don't enjoy the newer Scott movies, so the better story to me is what it should have been and what went wrong. It's the same thing that has kept me watching Walking Dead all these years.

I'll tell you I've watched both Prometheus and Covenant multiple times and will watch them again because of that desire in me to understand what went wrong. I did this with Alien 3 and did gain an understanding of what happened and I suppose I am at peace with it now. Still disappointed, but accepting.

Prometheus and Covenant are NOT well made movies -- even if you remove every aspect of expectation for an Alien film they are not well crafted movies. Brayzie listed out a bunch of points that I agree with. The story telling is sloppy at best and deliberately insulting to fans of the franchise at worst. It is maddening to listen to Ridley Scott prattle on like he really has some passion or plan (spoiler: he doesn't, other than he doesn't want to let other filmmakers upstage him).

As far as just Googling videos ... yeah, I did a lot of that. Most of it is self-aggrandizing hacks who want to be You-Tube stars (like the posted video) trying to apologize for Scott's "fuck you" to the franchise fans. It is one thing for videos like that to dissect a movie or TV show and provide deeper context or new thoughts on the property. However it is a complete failure of the original property (movie or TV show) when the creators use those external resources to cover up or fix the mess they made in the first place. (Again, Walking Dead is a fantastic example where the show runners were making such a mess of things, they had to go on the after show to explain what the hell they were doing.)

My direct inquiry was about all "the new" stuff coming out that you mentioned. I haven't seen anything new in ages, so that is what I was asking about.

EDITED TO ADD: Please don't take this question the wrong way Rival (or other who like these two films): Are you a religious/spiritual person? I am not. I enjoy studying religion and the ensuing discussions (that same nature that makes me enjoy talking about movies like this). I don't mind religious themes in my entertainment, but I am not seeking a deeper, spiritual meaning in these films. Maybe that is the difference in how I see these movies.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 11-23-18 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-28-19, 09:48 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

“Alien” made $105 million worldwide back in 1979 — the adjusted gross is $283.5 million — and spawned three sequels, two crossovers with the “Predator” franchise, and two prequels, 2012’s “Prometheus” and 2017’s “Alien: Covenant,” both directed by Scott. A third prequel, which he will direct, is in the script phase.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/a...tt-1203223989/

Not really more of an update from two years, considering at that time he said he would be "filming within 14 months." At least it seems Disney is still interested in having them made.
Old 05-28-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 05-28-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Bring it on.

Not or a fan of Prometheus but I loved Covenant.
Old 05-28-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I liked Covenant significantly more than Prometheus, but neither were great movies. Prometheus was way too Lindelof: set up a bunch of interesting questions, answer none of them, and just go with a big SPLOSIONS ending.

I'll still see Awakening though, maybe they can stick the landing. But at this point will audiences even care?
Old 05-28-19, 11:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Previous sequels were GREAT looking, but that's about it. Not sure how another one will help this franchise any.
Old 05-28-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

I liked Covenant enough, though I barely remember it now. Can't even recall if some version of "David" made it to the end of the movie.

Would be interesting to see one more flick in the series, I guess. Hopefully with a less-dumb, more memorable crew.
Old 05-28-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'll still see Awakening though, maybe they can stick the landing. But at this point will audiences even care?
Audiences will always pay for another nightmare; there is no movie monster scarier...

Originally Posted by Decker
Would be interesting to see one more flick in the series.
IMO, we need one more film to tie Covenant to the Space Jockey in Alien.
Old 05-28-19, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by melasnus

IMO, we need one more film to tie Covenant to the Space Jockey in Alien.
Of course, we thought we would get that in Prometheus.
Old 05-28-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

"Covenant" was garbage. Ridley Scott didn't finish what he started with "Prometheus" and basically gave us a retread of "Alien". I wanted to see more of Elizabeth Shaw but Scott had to kill her off before the movie even began. It was a lazy follow-up with a terrible cast. At this point, I would prefer Scott to have nothing to do with any further prequels or sequels. And thankful he only produced "Blade Runner 2049".
Old 05-28-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I’d like to see the connection made as well. After Prometheus and Covenant it can’t be worse.

Can it?

well probably.
Old 05-28-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Daytripper
"Covenant" was garbage.

Ridley Scott didn't finish what he started with "Prometheus" and basically gave us a retread of "Alien".
He went from not wanting to show aliens or using the Alien name in the title to doing a complete 180. Gee I wonder why?

I wanted to see more of Elizabeth Shaw but Scott had to kill her off before the movie even began.
As much as I disliked Prometheus, this would have been a better path than where he went with Covenant.

It was a lazy follow-up with a terrible cast.
I agree about it being lazy (aka cash grab) and except for Fassbender the cast was terrible.

At this point, I would prefer Scott to have nothing to do with any further prequels or sequels.
I'd prefer if they just stopped already. The first two films are so good that everything after doesn't come close and just ruins the mystique. Just like Godfather III, I also like the third film, but it has its flaws and doesn't come close to the first two.

​​​​​​​
And thankful he only produced "Blade Runner 2049".
I really liked BR2049, Thankfully Denis Villeneuve was not taking his shit and even had him removed once from the set because Scott was looking over his shoulder while he was directing.

Old 05-28-19, 02:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I enjoyed and was thoroughly entertained by Prometheus and Alien: Covenant well enough. I think they added some interesting stuff to the overall story/lore/whatever and although both flicks had their problems - which cannot be ignored - I don't think either one is so bad that they ruin the original trilogy for me in any measurable way. So I'm down for another one.
Old 05-28-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FANS: Prometheus sucked! We want the Alien!

SCOTT: Ok, chaps, you got it. Pip pip!

*makes Alien Covenant*

FANS: WTF? It's just an Alien retread! We want something different!

I thought Covenant was a really good gore filled monster movie, that did it's best to give fans what they wanted but still utilize the groundwork laid in Prometheus. It's unfair and more than a little unrealistic to expect him to capture lightning in a bottle again, 40 years later, and make something as good or groundbreaking as Alien. But whoever said fandom is anything but unrealistic and unfair...
Old 05-28-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I thought Prometheus had a lot of interesting ideas but was overall pretty poorly executed. I don’t completely hate it but it isn’t a film I’ve wanted to revisit necessarily either. Alien: Covenant isn’t bad either but is just sort of forgettable.
Old 05-28-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I for one never asked for an alien. I thought it was going to be a backstory of the space jockey. Then we got some weird plot about God and these little metal pods that are configured like the eggs were but contain black ooze that turns people into super zombies. The squid alien was beyond dumb. The movie sure looked great though.
Maybe Covenant was hamstrung by the Prometheus story, but I hated David created the aliens as we know them. I get that it was supposed to be a fast tracked evolution of the species, but they were in such a rush. David is a robot, he’s a god damn robot. If they were gonna kill off Shaw anyway, why not just make Covenant take place hundreds of years later?
Old 05-28-19, 04:11 PM

I just hated how incredibly stupid everyone was in Covenant. I mean, the xenomorph would certainly kill even the smartest of scientists, right? So why have Billy Crudup shove his face in an opening egg? Wouldn't it be more interesting if everyone followed scientific protocol and they still got killed? My favorite part of Covenant was featured in the trailer where the girl is trapped with the baby alien in the isolation area and begs to be let out, but the person on the other side of the door sadly refuses -- correctly. A whole movie like that would be very interesting. You immediately tune out when dumb characters do dumb things. Part of the reason the first movie works so well is because they aren't dumb people (though clearly they're not scientists), and they rarely do stupid things. I know it requires better screenwriters to write smart than to write dumb, but I still believe it would have been doable.
Old 05-28-19, 04:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

just give us hordes of Aliens vs battalions of Colonial Marines fighting in a city on Earth already for fuck sake. it's really the only xenomorph related scenario I would give a shit about at this point.
Old 05-28-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TGM
just give us hordes of Aliens vs battalions of Colonial Marines fighting in a city on Earth already for fuck sake. it's really the only xenomorph related scenario I would give a shit about at this point.
FANS: This is just a retread of Aliens! C'mon!
Old 05-28-19, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Maybe Covenant was hamstrung by the Prometheus story, but I hated David created the aliens as we know them. I get that it was supposed to be a fast tracked evolution of the species, but they were in such a rush. David is a robot, he’s a god damn robot. If they were gonna kill off Shaw anyway, why not just make Covenant take place hundreds of years later?
I remember reading a YouTube commenter defended it by sarcastically saying, "Yeah, a bio-mechanical species created by an a bio-mechanical android totally doesn't make sense."
I think the fast-tracking of evolution in both films came off badly. Some black goo just magically evolves everything into random monsters. And again, the advanced monsters just looked boring.
Now that I think about it, why didn't they at least make the space cobras and the octopus to have a Giger-esque, bio-mechanical look to them?

Originally Posted by Decker
I just hated how incredibly stupid everyone was in Covenant. I mean, the xenomorph would certainly kill even the smartest of scientists, right? So why have Billy Crudup shove his face in an opening egg? Wouldn't it be more interesting if everyone followed scientific protocol and they still got killed? My favorite part of Covenant was featured in the trailer where the girl is trapped with the baby alien in the isolation area and begs to be let out, but the person on the other side of the door sadly refuses -- correctly. A whole movie like that would be very interesting. You immediately tune out when dumb characters do dumb things. Part of the reason the first movie works so well is because they aren't dumb people (though clearly they're not scientists), and they rarely do stupid things. I know it requires better screenwriters to write smart than to write dumb, but I still believe it would have been doable.
Yes! Even if you aren't familiar with SF literature, and were only familiar with the first Alien film, you'd be aware that even these space truckers had very specific protocol and procedures that they had to follow. That was the reason for most of the arguments between the characters.
And why did they go with Spaihts and Lindeloff in the first place? I would think anyone familiar with the SF genre would have come up with a better story. The one we got was far too Eurocentric and geocentric, themes which were already cliche in 2012.
The "gods" or creators of mankind, who share the same DNA or genetic structure as modern humans, just happen to be white and muscular, with idealized European features like Roman-Greco statues or Michelangelo's David?
Human's are so important that we look just like our creators?
Earth is so important that the engineer is going to reawaken after who knows how long just to annihilate it?
That's why Prometheus seemed so backwards. With Alien: Resurrection the franchise became a line of generic b-movie sequels like Chucky and Nightmare on Elm Street.
Old 05-28-19, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The "gods" or creators of mankind, who share the same DNA or genetic structure as modern humans, just happen to be white and muscular, with idealized European features like Roman-Greco statues or Michelangelo's David?
We're talking about the same man who cast this guy to play an Egyptian Pharaoh.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.