Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: The Last Knight (2017, D: Bay, S: Wahlberg) -- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Transformers: The Last Knight?
5 Stars
3.57%
4 1/2 Stars
0%
4 Stars
3.57%
3 1/2 Stars
0%
3 Stars
10.71%
2 1/2 Stars
7.14%
2 Stars
10.71%
1 1/2 Stars
21.43%
1 Stars
3.57%
0 Stars
3.57%
Will see it on DVD/BD - No Interest in seeing it now
10.71%
Hate/Despise the Series - Zero Interest in seeing it
25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Transformers: The Last Knight (2017, D: Bay, S: Wahlberg) -- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-17, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight (2017, D: Bay, S: Wahlberg) -- The Reviews Thread

Saw it today and it was OK. The king arthur stuff made no sense and wasnt needed at all. Cut all that out and it would have been a much tighter film.
Old 10-01-17, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight (2017, D: Bay, S: Wahlberg) -- The Reviews Thread

We rented this from the library and watched it today and I'm not entirely sure what I saw. I really tried to pay attention the first half hour or so and then it really started to fall apart for me. I think one of the biggest things is there isn't a human character that they really want you to like enough to root for. At least in the last trilogy there were a few of those. This movie was just a huge CGI mess, and unfortunately not really a fun one.

That being said, I would probably watch a big budget Bay crusade film. The opening scene was slightly entertaining, even though it didn't really fit in with the rest of the movie.
Old 01-06-18, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Caught this last weekend on video. It was meh. I think the overall plot was a lot better than the last few* by a long shot. It was nice to have Josh back, but didn’t seem like much of a point for his character to be there. I think it would have worked better if his team was racing against the TRF force to get to the ultimate goal so there was some sort of added agency.

* the Optimus storyline reminded me more about the animated story after he came back to life where a lot of Transformers were getting infected by some disease and going rogue regardless if they were autobots or deceptions.

My biggest complaint was the added dumb humor. Somebody must have thought - hey, we haven’t had a lot of dumb humor since the second one. We need to double down on that! The wacky mini 4x4 as an example (same one as before?!), the John Turo segments, and especially the robot servant. Aside from the split personality parts, the character was pretty unique, interesting and all around badass. Too bad they had to ruin him. Great example was his monologue at the end, only to be studded with “...coolest.” Took me right out of the moment...

One of the best parts was Anthony Hopkins! Pretty great addition and added a lot of gravity that was missing from other films.

I will give the TF films massive credit for one thing. They’ve taken each film and carried it into the next. The biggest piece being the planet is aware of them and events from one fold over. Example: the battle of Chicago. Previously it was “never forget” posters, now it’s restricted areas with debris and a new government force. Perhaps more in TV shows, but the plot revolves around “oh, somehow the entire world population forgot any of this ever happened!”
Old 01-21-18, 12:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the actions. I have been waiting for an average film of not to good or bad. The Battle is so violent but still fun.
Old 07-21-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

So this marks the first Transformers movie that I had to turn off before it was over. I suffered through “Revenge of the Fallen” and “Age of Extinction” (I actually like the first and third movies) but this was just too damn much. Right about the point when I thought this movie was working toward its big finale I paused it to discover I was only halfway through this endless, meandering, piece of shit! It felt like I was 3 hours into this thing but I was only an hour and twenty minutes in! Where the fuck was this movie going?! How the hell could it feel like this pile of crap was almost over but there was still an hour and fifteen minutes left?!

I stated earlier in this thread that I’m a Michael Bay apologist but at this point it’s impossible to defend these movies to people. How the fuck do they spend $217 million dollars on this movie but Not do at least the most basic script polish? It was like some sort of transcribed fever dream that was filmed as-is.

I’m hoping Bumblebee gets the franchise back on track because there’s no reason in the world that a special effects extravaganza about fighting alien robots should ever confuse and bore the hell out of the audience.

And for fucks sake, it’s Transformers not Gone With the Wind! Keep this shit under 2 hours please!
Old 07-21-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Caught it on Hulu after not making an effort to see it. I really enjoyed it.
Old 07-22-18, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
So this marks the first Transformers movie that I had to turn off before it was over. I suffered through “Revenge of the Fallen” and “Age of Extinction” (I actually like the first and third movies) but this was just too damn much. Right about the point when I thought this movie was working toward its big finale I paused it to discover I was only halfway through this endless, meandering, piece of shit! It felt like I was 3 hours into this thing but I was only an hour and twenty minutes in! Where the fuck was this movie going?! How the hell could it feel like this pile of crap was almost over but there was still an hour and fifteen minutes left?!

I stated earlier in this thread that I’m a Michael Bay apologist but at this point it’s impossible to defend these movies to people. How the fuck do they spend $217 million dollars on this movie but Not do at least the most basic script polish? It was like some sort of transcribed fever dream that was filmed as-is.

I’m hoping Bumblebee gets the franchise back on track because there’s no reason in the world that a special effects extravaganza about fighting alien robots should ever confuse and bore the hell out of the audience.

And for fucks sake, it’s Transformers not Gone With the Wind! Keep this shit under 2 hours please!
I noticed it's on Amazon Prime and was thinking of giving it a try. After reading your post, I've changed my mind (like you, I liked the first and third movies) and will instead rewatch the first TRANSFORMERS on a Blu-ray my nephew recently gave me.
Old 07-22-18, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There aren't many I would classify as "unwatchable". This would be one of them though.
Old 07-22-18, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Thought it was better than getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick.
Old 02-04-19, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

So despite my better judgement, and my increasingly lengthy "to do" list, and the myriad of other shows, movies, games and various forms of entertainment I chose to watch this the other night. For some background I am a Transformers veteran. I loved the first movie then found out Micheal Bay can't catch lightning in a bottle twice. I am very well aware at how terrible these movies are and have progressively gotten worse so I am very well aware of what I was getting myself into. But for some reason I wanted to finish off the train wreck that is the Bayformers. Because really...how much worse can it get? The answer is much worse....much MUCH worse. This was one of the worse movies I've ever seen. That's not even an exaggeration. And that's compared to the other Transformers movies too. I'm talking way beyond Suicide Squad bad. Even beyond MiB2/Shrek3/Pirates 3/Spiderman 3 bad. This is like Cat in the Hat, Ballistic Ecks vs. Sever bad. This thing was barely even a movie. The plot was even MORE convoluted and confusing then previous movies. The human characters were even more dislikeable and illogical than before. The dialogue is so nonsensical. I'm not sure what's worse, the literal 5 minute long dialogue between academy award nominee Mark Wahlberg and academy award winner Sir Anthony Hopkins about how long it's been since Cade has had "whoopie". Or the very meta line about the dumb psychotic transformer that doesn't transform being a rip off of C3PO. The plot made absolutely zero sense. Why was the professor (oh look we're being so woke for having a woman with big boobs be a professor) the only one that could wield the staff. But then why didn't she wield it to control the dragon. What exactly was that transforming medal thing and what does it mean to be the last knight? (spoiler alert: it means absolutely nothing) Why was optimus so enchanted to the point of straight up murdering the protectors of the staff but not to the point that just Bumblebee speaking to him would jolt him out of it. Did they really say something about goat scrotum?! Did I really hear that? AND HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU HAVE A $260 MILLION DOLLAR BUDGET BUT NOT ONCE SHOW OPTIMUS TRANSFORMING INTO A TRUCK?!

I am so glad I watched this after Bumblebee knowing that they were able to course correct this franchise. Because if I hadn't I would have thought that we never were going to get the film the fans really want. I don't know how the franchise survived the Last Knight. I think we were lucky and Bumblebee was just in the correct time of development. in production enough not to get cancelled but far enough out to be able to course correct and right a lot of wrongs for Transformers fans.
Old 02-04-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

The constant aspect ratio changes had me restart the movie and check my equipment a few times before I finally did a search to see what the problem was. Otherwise, I can't remember anything about the movie other than there were dragons.