Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

xXx 4 (D: Caruso) S: Vin Diesel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Veteran producers Sid Ganis, Nancy Hult Ganis, Mark Johnson, Joe Roth and Jeff Kirschenbaum have teamed up to form The H Collective, a new film financing, production, marketing and distribution company, the producers announced Monday.

The lead project on the new company’s slate is a fourth sequel to Vin Diesel’s “xXx” action franchise following Paramount’s January release of “xXx: Return of Xander Cage,” which grossed $346 million worldwide.

The H Collective will finance the new film, which will be produced by Roth and Kirschenbaum, and acquire all rights excluding TV and U.S. theme park rights.
http://www.thewrap.com/h-collective-...ilm-financing/
Old 06-19-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
re: xXx 4 (D: Caruso) S: Vin Diesel

Not surprised a sequel is in the works. The movie bombed here, but was a massive hit overseas.
Old 06-19-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Not surprised a sequel is in the works. The movie bombed here, but was a massive hit overseas.
Yep. Only $44M domestic but $301M overseas, $164M of it in China.
Old 06-19-17, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Yep. Only $44M domestic but $301M overseas, $164M of it in China.
...and Donnie Yen. So what would be the plot in the next one? Jackie Chan heads up the Chinese version of their xXx program and they go head to head? Donnie Yen returning?
Old 06-19-17, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Wouldn't this be a 3rd sequel and not 4th?
Old 06-19-17, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RichC2
xXx

xXx: State of the Union

xXx: The Return of Xander Cage

so yes it's part 4.
Old 06-19-17, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

xXx

xXx: State of the Union

xXx: The Return of Xander Cage

so yes it's part 4.
I just got deja vu, and remembered we just had this convo, and this follow-up convo to go with that convo. Dammit, I keep repeating myself.

So yeah, 4th entry, 3rd sequel. I think it was The Wrap that set me off on this path last time too. Damn them.
Old 06-19-17, 06:36 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

xXXx
Old 06-19-17, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
...and Donnie Yen. So what would be the plot in the next one? Jackie Chan heads up the Chinese version of their xXx program and they go head to head? Donnie Yen returning?
Wouldn't surprise me if Yen is the star and Diesel just stays on as a producer. Not sure if a distributor would waste money releasing stateside and perhaps make this one a direct-to-video release or something.
Old 06-20-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah you are correct, it's the third sequel, should just say it's the forth part of the story.

I like to think there is no Rambo Part 2
Old 04-17-18, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2018/04/vin-dies...se-1202366662/

The H Collective and Vin Diesel/One Race Films have acquired rights to the xXx franchise from Revolution Studios, and Diesel will reprise his role as Xander Cage in the fourth installment that will go before cameras in December 2018. D.J. Caruso, who helmed last year’s xXx: Return of Xander Cage, is returning as director.

Under the deal, Revolution Studios retains rights to the first three films which have collectively grossed nearly $1 billion worldwide. The franchise, however, has been steadily losing audiences domestically. Xander Cage only opened to $20.1M in its debut weekend in January last year and ran out of gas at $44.8M. The first xXx opened 2002 and hauled in $142.1M domestically.

In China, Diesel’s return to the franchise after Ice Cube starred in the interim was welcome news. China accounting for the bulk of Xander Cage‘s $69.3M overseas debut, so, it’s no wonder why Chinese-backed The H Collective would be interested in the franchise. In fact, the actioner ended up as the biggest three-day opening for a Hollywood film that bowed in a February and also the second-biggest Imax February debut in China (behind The Monkey King 2).

Xander Cage was tailor-made for international audiences and cast accordingly with Chinese star Donnie Yen featured prominently in ads in China.

For the fourth installment of xXx, Joe Roth and Jeff Kirschenbaum will again produce with Diesel and Samantha Vincent for One Race Films and The H Collective.

The H Collective will finance xXx 4 with investment partners that include Sparkle Roll Media, HCH Media, Dadi Cinema and Angeleno Studio. It is currently in production on an untitled horror film being produced by James Gunn and starring Elizabeth Banks. It’s also in post on Christopher Cantwell’s The Parts You Lose.

The H Collective launched in June of last year on the news there would be a fourth xXx movie. The company came about when it pacted with the producer team of Sid Ganis and Nancy Hult Ganis, producer Mark Johnson, and Roth and Kirschenbaum. The goal has been to finance and/or produce four projects a year over the next four years, with the fourth installment of xXx at its slate’s centerpiece.

The H Collective also recently formed a management arm with Chinese stars Li Bingbing and Karry Wang among the firm’s first talent. The company also has an exclusive partnership with Beijing Culture, an entertainment conglomerate in China.

Diesel is repped by CAA and Brillstein Entertainment Partners; Caruso is repped by CAA and Media Talent Group.
Old 04-18-18, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I wonder if its gonna be written into Diesels contract that he has to be in shape for this one, so they don't have to spend 300 grand to digitally remove his gut again.
Old 04-18-18, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I wonder if its gonna be written into Diesels contract that he has to be in shape for this one, so they don't have to spend 300 grand to digitally remove his gut again.
Are you serious? Oh man.
Old 04-18-18, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: xXx 4 (D: Caruso) S: Vin Diesel

yeah my sister worked on the film. It was a poorly kept secret, everyone knew about it. It didn't help that no one liked Vin Diesel.
Old 04-18-18, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Maybe he can just wear that big fur coat through the whole movie this time, kinda like a pimpy Steven Seagal.
Old 04-18-18, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
yeah my sister worked on the film. It was a poorly kept secret, everyone knew about it. It didn't help that no one liked Vin Diesel.
Woah your sis is cool.

I always thought vin was a very charismatic and very likeable guy off set? Unless late in his years fame and fortune got to his head...and belly.

Originally Posted by Brian T
Maybe he can just wear that big fur coat through the whole movie this time, kinda like a pimpy Steven Seagal.

Especially if the scene is at a beach.
Old 04-18-18, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the more I hear about Vin in his middle age years, the less likable he seems.
Old 04-18-18, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian T
Diesel's already no different if he has to have his gut digitally removed, like Seagal had his triple chin removed in Glimmer Man.

I think the title should be xXxIV.
Old 09-07-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Filming begins January 2019.

Old 09-07-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Not surprised to see a Chinese actor cast since they're essentially making this for China and Hong Kong. The U.S. doesn't give a shit about another xXx movie.
Old 09-07-18, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Not surprised to see a Chinese actor cast since they're essentially making this for China and Hong Kong. The U.S. doesn't give a shit about another xXx movie.
True that:

https://variety.com/2018/film/asia/x...ve-1202930634/

And these high-concept, low-brain-power movies (XXX, Meg) are just about the only kinds of movies Mainland China can make that are even remotely "exportable", mainly because they're not wholly "Chinese" to begin with. Their own "epics" -- that endless parade of costume pictures set in "safe" historical periods that don't upset or in any way criticize the CCP, even metaphorically -- rarely get past the fest-circuit-to-Wellgo-USA stage, even when they're good.

Even at that, I still think the whole concept of these types of dumbed-down popcorn productions can only last so long. These two industries -- and indeed the very different ways westerners and the Chinese conduct business -- have never proven overly compatible, the result usually being Mainlander actors nonsensically shoe-horned into "event" movies (M:I Rogue Nation, Kong Skull Island, probably others), or Chinese producer and production company names slapped on mid-scale Hollywood pictures that underperform, or just flashy junk like XXX 3 (although, frankly, I thought it was better than the second, and at least Donnie Yen's character was an organic part of the plot and not just quota casting to satisfy Chinese moneybags. ).

Considering how well things worked out for mainlander wannabe mogul Donald Tang and his various acquisitions, the move toward the bubblegummiest fare seems logical, though no less doomed in the long run.
Old 11-21-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jay Chou Joins Vin Diesel in 'xXx 4'
12:37 AM PST 11/21/2018 by Patrick Brzeski

Taiwanese pop star-turned-actor Jay Chou is teaming up with Vin Diesel to co-star in the upcoming fourth installment of the xXx franchise, which is to be directed by D.J. Caruso.

Known as the “King of Mandopop," Chou is a huge draw across Asia as a pop signer and beloved personality. But U.S. viewers will know him best for his transition to acting in features such as The Green Hornet with Seth Rogen, or in Jon Chu's action-comedy Now You See Me 2.

"This is an incredibly exciting film, which I’m beyond happy to join," Chou said in a statement.

xXx 4 will be produced and financed by growing mini studio The H Collective, with backing from investment partners including Jackie Chan's Sparkle Roll Media, iQiyi Pictures, Dadi Huarui, Star League Media and Fulcrum Management Co.

Together with Vin Diesel and his One Race Films Banner, The H Collective acquired the rights to the xXx franchise from Revolution Studios earlier this year.

The heavy Chinese investment participation in the film is no surprise considering that xXx: The Return of Xander Cage earned $168 million of its $346 million worldwide total at the Chinese box office last year. Thanks to The Fast and the Furious franchise, Diesel is one of the best-known Hollywood stars in the Middle Kingdom.

"We are very excited to be working on the fourth installment of xXx, which has always been such a fun, action-packed, global franchise," said The H Collective CEO Nic Crawley. "We are looking to build a well-rounded international cast and introduce bold new characters that are sure to have longevity in the continued franchise."

Chinese actress Zoe Zhang (Chinese Zodiac), a frequent collaborator of Jackie Chan, also has joined the film's international cast.

Joe Roth and Jeff Kirschenbaum are producing with Diesel and Samantha Vincent for One Race Films. The film is scheduled to begin shooting in 2019.