Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

25 Best Films of the 21st Century So Far, according to The New York Times

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

25 Best Films of the 21st Century So Far, according to The New York Times

Old 06-10-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: 25 Best Films of the 21st Century So Far, according to The New York Times

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Mulholland Drive wasn't even a movie. It was an aborted TV show with a bunch of incoherent crap added as time fluffer so it could be called a feature film. Sorry, Lynch is a performance artist whose sole purpose is to give the middle finger to everybody.
What kind of glass dick you smokin' son?
Old 06-10-17, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts

I think a lot of people don't realize that Mulholland Drive has a clear answer. That was awesome - back when it came out - that it was a real puzzle to everyone. I saw it in theaters and didn't understand it until I watched it on DVD and read about it.

Lost Highway had a similarly puzzling plot. The writer gave it away in an interview and David Lynch was not happy about it. In response, I figured that's why he buried any possible answers to Inland Empire. He also claims that nobody ever had the right answer to Eraserhead's plot.
Old 06-10-17, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

My tastes are much more main stream, so most of these movies I either don't care for or never heard of.

Originally Posted by Mabuse
But shouldn't there still be a "once in a decade movie"? Something really big.
Even though i'm not a big fan myself, I'd say a lot of folks would easily consider Lord of the Rings up there with the other action/adventure movies that have been mentioned.
Old 06-11-17, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
What kind of glass dick you smokin' son?
You better believe it. David Lynch took a TV pilot and turned it into what is quite possibly his masterpiece.
Old 06-11-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222
You better believe it. David Lynch took a TV pilot and turned it into what is quite possibly his masterpiece.
Oh this I know very well. Mulholland Dr. is one of my Top Ten best movies, and easily my favorite of the last 25 years. My response was with regard to the "incoherent crap/middle finger" comment

And I think MD is one of Lynch's more straightforward films in terms of how the plot machinations operate. I didn't get it ALL on first viewing, but I totally saw what he was doing with the narrative, themes, and characters. It's a breathtaking masterpiece.
Old 06-11-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts

I would add in my list.

Pan's Labyrinth
Saving Private Ryan
Children of Men
New World (2013 South Korea)
Old 06-11-17, 10:35 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Mulholland Drive wasn't even a movie. It was an aborted TV show with a bunch of incoherent crap added as time fluffer so it could be called a feature film. Sorry, Lynch is a performance artist whose sole purpose is to give the middle finger to everybody.
See what I'm talking about. It's a brilliant film, but a lot of people can't see it.
Old 06-11-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
And I think MD is one of Lynch's more straightforward films in terms of how the plot machinations operate.
Compared to Lost Highway & Inland Empire (both of which I also love), it's very straightforward.
Old 06-11-17, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even a Top 100 is going to be subjective and generate dissent (which is one reason for these "best of" lists...they get people talking). And people can acknowledge the artistry & craftsmanship of movies that they don't personally like. Objectively, though, these are some that demonstrate superior film-making on many levels:

Inception
Red Cliff
True Grit
12 Years a Slave
Return of the King
Crouching Tiger
Dark Knight

Then you get into personal favorites: Still Mine, Let the Right One In, Gravity, Downfall, MI: Rogue Nation, Sicario, The Homesman, Them (2006), Life Aquatic, Fury, Calvary, Mao's Last Dancer, Sin City, Fury Road, Irreversible, Guardians of the Galaxy, Zero Dark Thirty, Kill Bill, The Guard, The Uninvited Guest (2004), Oldboy, Funny Games, Coco Before Chanel, O Brother, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Lust, Caution, Ratatouille, Lars & the Real Girl, The Martian, etc.

Planet Terror was one of the most brilliantly-executed pastiche mashups ever, but does it deserve a place above Birdman, Revenant, Cars, or Tarantino's films?

Tons of foreign films waiting to be watched would likely make the list (Pan's Labyrinth, Lives of Others, White Ribbon) along with many animated ones (Cars, Up, Inside Out, Jungle Book, Persepolis, & Studio Gibli stuff). And a lot of really good foreign films (Maria, Full of Grace & others that I can't remember).

Narrowing it down to 25 is almost an impossible task. There may not be that many great films, but in 17 years there have been a lot of really good ones.

Last edited by creekdipper; 06-11-17 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-11-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts

Why in the hell is "Moonlight" on this list? Sure, it's a fine film with great performances. But it's not a great film IMO. And hardly one of the 25 best of the 21st century. That is just absurd.
Old 06-11-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Why in the hell is "Moonlight" on this list? Sure, it's a fine film with great performances. But it's not a great film IMO. And hardly one of the 25 best of the 21st century. That is just absurd.
I really think it was just a response to the "Oscars so white" thingy that it got universal praise. The cast and crew had good intentions, but I left the screening wondering what was great about it. It felt like Boyhood for a black, gay man. No depth to it for me. I'd recommend it as a rental.
Old 06-11-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dom56
I would add in my list.

Pan's Labyrinth
Saving Private Ryan
Children of Men
New World (2013 South Korea)
Really now?
Old 06-11-17, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I agree. I liked it a lot but I wouldn't consider it one of the best of the last 17 years.
Old 06-12-17, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts

Some sixth sense tells me that in 1917, no one in the press was putting together a list of the 25 Best Flickers of the 20th Century so far.

Old 06-12-17, 05:51 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 256 Posts

This list is pretty much meaningless as any list made would be subjective based on the writers' likes/dislikes. That contributions were made from a few noteworthy individuals, and that it was published in the New York Times (oh my!) makes no difference. My list would be completely different as would yours. I've no doubt a few of those movies deserve the recognition, but of those 25 listed, I've only even seen 1 of them: Mad Max: Fury Road. Another meaningless list.
Old 06-12-17, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

Yes, it is all of those things. It is also a great film.
Old 06-12-17, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Pretty sure we've done this before but the first few that come to mind for me:

Almost Famous
Memento
Life of Pi
Moon
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Thought of one more to add to my list: Moon.
Old 06-12-17, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kd5
This list is pretty much meaningless as any list made would be subjective based on the writers' likes/dislikes. That contributions were made from a few noteworthy individuals, and that it was published in the New York Times (oh my!) makes no difference. My list would be completely different as would yours. I've no doubt a few of those movies deserve the recognition, but of those 25 listed, I've only even seen 1 of them: Mad Max: Fury Road. Another meaningless list.
First of all:
By Manohla Dargis and A.O. Scott
With contributions from Kathryn Bigelow, Guillermo del Toro, Ava DuVernay, Barry Jenkins, Richard Linklater, Robert Pattinson and Michelle Williams
Second, I'm fucking sick of your line of thinking. "Everyone's opinion is equal. Just because you're a professional film critic, or filmmaker your opinion is just your opinion and it's equal to mine." No it's not.
Old 06-12-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

A filmmaker might know more about how a film is made, but what's up on the screen is seen by anybody. And it becomes equal in the eyes of everybody.
Old 06-12-17, 10:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TomOpus
A filmmaker might know more about how a film is made, but what's up on the screen is seen by anybody. And it becomes equal in the eyes of everybody.
Training, knowledge, experience, and familiarity with diverse films will refine your film literacy and give you a better critical perspective. Every opinion is not equal.

The guy said "I've only seen one movie on that list, but I could make an equally valid list." That's bullshit.
Old 06-12-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB
I really think it was just a response to the "Oscars so white" thingy that it got universal praise. The cast and crew had good intentions, but I left the screening wondering what was great about it. It felt like Boyhood for a black, gay man. No depth to it for me. I'd recommend it as a rental.
Great way to put it. It had no depth to it. And zero replay value.
Old 06-12-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Blasphemy! Oh, you'll smoke a turd in hell for that!
I always liked that Robin Williams line from The Survivors. Such an under rated classic. You Honky Mofo!!!!

As for these lists, i never see one i agree with. At most they may have one of two worthy of a nod, but most have entries which are simply wrong. This list is no exception.
Old 06-12-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Planet Terror was one of the most brilliantly-executed pastiche mashups ever, but does it deserve a place above Birdman, Revenant, Cars, or Tarantino's films?
The only lists Planet Terror deserves to be on are the worst movies of all time. That and Death Proof were unwatchable piles of shit.
Old 06-12-17, 05:13 PM
Banned

I saw Grindhouse opening night and it was fun as hell. It was an experiment that general audiences were not ready for, as the box office and whithering reviews like yours can attest to. The filmmakers are definitely guilty of misjudging their audience, but they are in no way bad films on any level.
Old 06-12-17, 05:13 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
First of all:

Second, I'm fucking sick of your line of thinking. "Everyone's opinion is equal. Just because you're a professional film critic, or filmmaker your opinion is just your opinion and it's equal to mine." No it's not.

Ask me if I care what the fuck you think.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.