DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars - animated film - v: Casper Van Dien & Dina Meyer (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/640339-starship-troopers-traitor-mars-animated-film-v-casper-van-dien-dina-meyer.html)

dex14 06-06-17 09:12 AM

Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars - animated film - v: Casper Van Dien & Dina Meyer

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0s0HkxlKMgs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Twenty years later, it's time to hunt some more bugs.

Marking the two-decade anniversary of Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers, Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions and Fathom Events are partnering for the one-night-only theater debut of Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars, a new animated follow-up to the cult classic movie featuring actors from the original movie.

Both Casper Van Dien and Dina Meyer will reprise their roles — Federation troopers Johnny Rico and Dizzy Flores, respectively — for the new CGI movie, with stand-up comedian and actor DeRay Davis signing up for duty alongside them. Continuing the vintage connection, Traitor of Mars is written by Ed Neumeier, whose previous credits include the original Starship Troopers as well as Paul Verhoeven's Robocop.

The movie sees Rico demoted and relocated to a satellite station on Mars, while the Federation moves to attack the home planet of the bugs — but Mars just so happens to be the target of a secret bug attack at the same time, and it falls to Rico and a group of new recruits to keep the planet safe while the Federation's fleet is far out of reach.

Traitor of Mars theater screenings will take place in nearly 500 select theaters across the country on Monday, August 21, with two screenings at 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. local time in each location. Each screening will feature bonus material beyond the movie itself, with Neumeier and Van Dien introducing the movie, along with interviews with the filmmakers and behind-the-scenes footage. Tickets for the event will be available online starting June 19.

Verhoeven's adaptation of the Robert A. Heinlein sci-fi novel was released in Nov. 1997, and was initially considered a critical and commercial flop; since its initial release, the movie has undergone a substantial reappraisal, and has gained a fervent fanbase as a satire on fascist military propaganda. Last year, Columbia Pictures announced plans to reboot the franchise with Mark Swift and Damian Shannon, the writers of the recent Baywatch big-screen reboot.

Obi-Wanma 06-06-17 09:14 AM

Re: Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars - animated film - v: Casper Van Dien & Dina Me

Isn't Dizzy dead?

dex14 06-06-17 09:17 AM

Re: Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars - animated film - v: Casper Van Dien & Dina Me

Yea... I thought that was strange.

Troy Stiffler 06-06-17 09:21 AM

How did she die? Just stabbed? I remember they did have that incubator. Wouldn't be hard to bring her back.

Obi-Wanma 06-06-17 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 13089027)
How did she die? Just stabbed? I remember they did have that incubator. Wouldn't be hard to bring her back.

She was stabbed through the chest 3 or 4 times, died in Rico's arms, and then her casket was launched into space.

Mabuse 06-06-17 09:37 AM

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/49/49ded...491650b05f.jpg

Why So Blu? 06-06-17 09:37 AM

Reboot or they saved some blood samples and cloned her.

DVD Josh 06-06-17 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13089034)
She was stabbed through the chest 3 or 4 times, died in Rico's arms, and then her casket was launched into space.

The Genesis chamber.

GoldenJCJ 06-06-17 11:18 AM

The animation on that looks surprisingly good!

Maybe Dizzy will just be in flashbacks of "Buenos Aires 90210."

funkyryno 06-06-17 11:33 AM

Is this tied into the other animated Starship Troopers movies, or is it just a sequel to the movie?

dex14 06-06-17 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by funkyryno (Post 13089161)
Is this tied into the other animated Starship Troopers movies, or is it just a sequel to the movie?

ST: Invasion was sequel to the first movie (ignoring 2 and 3). This is a sequel to that... apparently.

Inhumans99 06-06-17 07:49 PM

If I can spare the time I actually want to see this when it plays in theaters, hopefully one of the cinemas near me will get it.

OldBoy 06-06-17 09:05 PM

I don't know why they keep milking this series. The first was campy and fun. I don't know what the others try to be. This looks like a good game...

Dr. DVD 06-08-17 07:12 PM

Any chance of a 20th Anniversary BR?

BuddyRevell 06-09-17 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13089044)

Exactly what I was thinking.
:lol:

dex14 07-21-17 01:47 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8R0yLRoevnA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Decker 07-21-17 03:24 PM

Looks like some impressive video game cut-scenes. :up:

Jason 07-21-17 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 13089086)
The Genesis chamber.

Lazarus Pit.

Or lazy writing. Take your pick.

Why So Blu? 07-21-17 04:59 PM

Well, Ed Neumier wrote it, so we'll see what happens. Diz looks hot. :eyebrow:

GoldenJCJ 07-21-17 06:39 PM

So, Diz is just going to be a figment of Johnny's imagination?

Abob Teff 07-21-17 07:50 PM

I'm going with that ^. Rico aged (I like what they did with the character design) but Dizzy was reincarnated as a hot blonde country singer. :shrug:

GoldenJCJ 07-21-17 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13118343)
I'm going with that ^. Rico aged (I like what they did with the character design) but Dizzy was reincarnated as a hot blonde country singer. :shrug:

Yep, that and the fact that she's standing on the surface of Mars wearing a tank top and capris.

Why So Blu? 07-21-17 10:33 PM

There's the rub. Rico is mental now. See what the mobile infantry gets ya?

OldBoy 08-22-17 08:16 PM

anyone see this? can't rent on Netflix, but out on digital. Casper doesn't sound anything like he did in first. like he was totally different. i get gruff and weathered, but this was unrecognizable...

Why So Blu? 08-23-17 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13141229)
anyone see this? can't rent on Netflix, but out on digital. Casper doesn't sound anything like he did in first. like he was totally different. i get gruff and weathered, but this was unrecognizable...

Yeah, getting old sucks. He'll be 49 this year.