Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roosevelt (D: Scorsese) -- DiCaprio will carry the big stick

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-12-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Marty, Leo's High Five?

You'd think these guys sick would be sick of each other by now, but if Paramount Pictures gets its way,
Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese may team up yet again for an ever elusive Oscar.

According to Daily Variety, the studio has optioned the rights to The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, Edmund Morris' Pulitzer Prize-winning biography, in which DiCaprio would star in the title role under the direction of Scorsese.

The film would trace how Teddy Roosevelt, a privileged but underwhelming New York politician plagued by asthma, transformed himself into the burly commander of the Rough Riders who helped his country win the Spanish-American War and eventually became one of the great presidents of the 20th century. (Hey, the weight gain worked for
Robert De Niro in Raging Bull.)

Roosevelt will be adapted by
Nicholas Meyer, who wrote the screenplay for The Human Stain but is perhaps better known among sci-fi cognoscenti for writing and directing Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn.

"From the first page of the book...[Roosevelt's] life reads like a movie that requires a big bag of popcorn," Meyer told Variety. "We start at 25, as he begins to transform himself through sheer force of will from this asthmatic, nearsighted 125-pounder to this Sherman tank of a man so tough that he once got shot on the way to make a speech and completed his talk, bleeding with a bullet in his chest."

DiCaprio and Scorsese first joined forces for 2002's Gangs of New York and quickly followed with last year's The Aviator. While both films were nominated for Best Picture and Best Director for Scorsese, and DiCaprio getting a Best Actor nod for The Aviator, the two A-listers were shut out in the statuette department.

The duo are now shooting their latest Oscar bait, The Departed. A reimagining of the hit Hong Kong police drama Infernal Affairs, the film costars
Jack Nicholson,
Matt Damon and
Alec Baldwin. DiCaprio and Scorsese are also attached to a fourth film together, a remake of Akira Kurosawa's 1948 classic, Drunken Angel.

Even with two Scorsese collaborations in the pipeline, the actor still has a way to go before he catches up with De Niro, who's served as the filmmaker's go-to guy in eight-films, including some of his best, like Mean Streets, Taxi Driver and Raging Bull.

The Rise of Roosevelt is being produced by Scorsese (who knows a thing or two about asthma having suffered from the respiratory ailment himself since he was a child) along with DiCaprio and his Appian Way partner Brad Simpson. No word when it will start shooting, but if all goes to plan, the film could be in theaters by 2007.
Old 09-12-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
It's a great book, one of my favorites, but somehow I never pictured Leonardo DiCaprio as Teddy...
Old 09-12-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
Ok, I have to admit, I'm sick of these two now. While I loved gangs of New York and the Aviator, I don't like the idea of these two getting back together for another film.

Leo is kind of a 'see through' actor in these roles, you're never really quite convinced of the role he's playing but it doesn't distract you much while watching the film. Day Lewis is what kept me glued to gangs and the story and effects (and John C. Reily with his small part) kept me going with the Aviator.

But whatever, I love Scorsese (even though he made bringing out the dead) and always will.

Oh, one more thing, Leo will NEVER be a Robert Deniro.
Old 09-12-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're also are currently filiming the infernal affairs remake together as well.
Old 09-12-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TR's my favorite president ever, but I think having DeCaprio is a mistake. This guy is so annoying.
Old 09-12-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Leo playing Teddy Roosevelt? What's next, Gary Coleman playing Abe Lincoln?
Old 09-12-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard they aren't using the title of the book for the movie. Apparently the movie will be retitled to "OMG Please Give Me an Oscar, Part 3: This Time You Really Have To, No Kidding".
Old 09-12-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Leo would make a better Teddy Ruxpin.
Old 09-12-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rival11
Ok, I have to admit, I'm sick of these two now. While I loved gangs of New York and the Aviator, I don't like the idea of these two getting back together for another film.

Leo is kind of a 'see through' actor in these roles, you're never really quite convinced of the role he's playing but it doesn't distract you much while watching the film.
I agree. This is getting ridiculous and boring. I just can't buy DiCaprio as an adult. I keep seeing him as the teenager from This Boy's Life and What's Eating Gilbert Grape. In those films he was convincing and I saw a character and not an actor. When I saw Gangs of New York and The Aviator I kept thinking, "why is this teenager playing this adult role?" It's too distracting. He's got one of those faces that will always makes him look like a teen and no fake moustache can hide that.
Old 09-12-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with whats been posted so far. I'm sick of the Dicaprio/Scorsece thing and I'm sick of Scorsece oscar baiting. Dicaprio is no Deniro. The sooner Marty figures that out, the better.
Old 09-13-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

DiCaprio is a good actor but he's totally out of his league with this. He needs to stick to roles that fit him and he needs to start working with new directors.
Old 09-13-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll wait and see. I think he was a bit of a miscast in Gangs, but I think he did a wonderful job as Howard Hughes. Though I don't think either Gangs or Aviator was a great film.

I have to say, I'm most interested in The Departed...that sounds like perfect Scorcese material.
Old 09-13-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I'll see it.
Old 09-13-05, 09:06 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I don't necessarily agree with the casting, but it sounds like an interesting project.
Old 09-13-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A Martin Scorsese film.

I'm in.
Old 09-13-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I will make this prediction right now: if Scorsese hasn't won the Oscar by the time this is completed, this movie will get released in December of whatever year it is scheduled to hit theaters.
Old 09-13-05, 08:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Count me as the seemingly first person who is totally stoked every time I hear about a new Scorsese/DiCaprio film. Can't wait...for all three of them.
Old 09-13-05, 11:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by david12
Count me as the seemingly first person who is totally stoked every time I hear about a new Scorsese/DiCaprio film. Can't wait...for all three of them.

I'll join you.

These guys make fantastic movies together.
Old 09-14-05, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by cupon
I agree. This is getting ridiculous and boring. I just can't buy DiCaprio as an adult. I keep seeing him as the teenager from This Boy's Life and What's Eating Gilbert Grape. In those films he was convincing and I saw a character and not an actor. When I saw Gangs of New York and The Aviator I kept thinking, "why is this teenager playing this adult role?" It's too distracting. He's got one of those faces that will always makes him look like a teen and no fake moustache can hide that.

Thank you for finally pointing out to me why I cant watch Leo in films. Even though he is in his 30's the guy still looks like the kid from growing pains, except with a dirty mustache.

I love Scorcese and I'm sure GoNY and Aviator are fine films, but I just refuse to watch them with Leo in the lead. Guess I'll just miss out on this leg of Scorcese's career.
Old 09-14-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DiCaprio is one of the better actors of this generation and continues to get no respect. Every time he's cast in a movie, the same thing negative comments are made, yet when the movie is released, he turns in a great performance.
Old 09-14-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
DiCaprio is one of the better actors of this generation and continues to get no respect. Every time he's cast in a movie, the same thing negative comments are made, yet when the movie is released, he turns in a great performance.

In all honesty, you are right. I have to agree that most of the last few roles he has taken he has given a fine performance and even gotten nominated for an Oscar (deservedly, and would have won were it not for the Jamie Foxx Juggernaut) . I thought he was good in both GONY and CMIYC, and great in Aviator. Yet whenever he takes on a role or enlists for the new Scorsese movie he is treated as if he were on the level of Vin Diesel or Paul Walker.
Old 09-14-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Old 09-14-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Teddy Roosevelt was a bear. Plain and simple.

Leonardo? Well, bear, he ain't.
Old 09-14-05, 04:51 PM
En vacance

Ugh...

Scorsese+De Niro>Scorsese+Dicraprio
Old 09-14-05, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by david12
Originally Posted by scott shelton
I'll join you.

These guys make fantastic movies together.
I agree with you guys, I loved Gangs of New York and The Aviator, and I am excited about their future projects together.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.