DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Mummy (Kurtzman, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/640307-mummy-kurtzman-2017-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 06-03-17 11:18 AM

The Mummy (Kurtzman, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"The Mummy" (Starring: Tom Cruise, Russell Crowe, Annabelle Wallis, Sofia Boutella, Jake Johnson, Courtney B. Vance)

Release Date:
6/9/17

Rating:
PG-13 (for violence, action and scary images, and for some suggestive content and partial nudity.)

Running Time:
107m. (1h. 47m.)

Budget:
$125 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Though safely entombed in a crypt deep beneath the unforgiving desert, an ancient princess, whose destiny was unjustly taken from her, is awakened in our current day bringing with her malevolence grown over millennia, and terrors that defy human comprehension. Written by Universal Pictures

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.0 (958 votes as of 6/3/17)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:00 Rotten:00 (00% as of 6/3/17)

Metacritic:
00 metascore ('Generably favorable reviews' as of 6/3/17)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...mmy-poster.jpg

Mike86 06-05-17 07:52 PM

Re: The Mummy (Kurtzman, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Might check this out over the weekend. Still haven't had a chance to see Wonder Woman so maybe I'll make it a double feature.

tommyp007 06-05-17 07:56 PM

I really like Cruise, and almost always rush to see his latest films.

But I'm not sure about this..........

TGM 06-05-17 07:59 PM

I'm the opposite... Cruise is a negative for me for a movie like this.

OldBoy 06-05-17 08:15 PM

I'm gonna wait for reviews and either see this or It Comes at Night on Friday.

Ky-Fi 06-05-17 08:24 PM

Well, it's got Tom running. :lol:

I don't know, I loved the '32 Mummy, the '59 Mummy and the '99 Mummy---I'm not sure about this one.

E Unit 06-05-17 08:53 PM

That's just it, I had zero expectations for the '99 one, and that was some goofy fun. I'm open for this, but skeptical about Cruise's role in this. Hope it's not another Lestat.

mattysemo247 06-06-17 03:50 PM

We have movie money, so we'll be seeing it either this weekend or next. If it gets slaughtered in reviews, maybe we can sneak in to Wonder Woman :lol:

Hokeyboy 06-06-17 04:13 PM

I love the Universal Monsters, perhaps even unhealthily so, but I honestly believe they're better left in the past. They belong in the 1930s/40s; the tropes and themes created in those films (based on the original source material) have been presented, analyzed, parodied, repeated ad nauseum, deconstructed, reconstructed, etc. for decades now. They bring nothing new to the table. What more could you do with a Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, Wolf Man, Dr. Jekyll, Invisible Man, etc. that hasn't been done in dozens of movies since (homages, remakes, ripoffs, reboots, etc.), and better?

I hope to be surprised and that this thing is actually pretty good, but I ain't holding my breath. It looks like your generic horror-influenced action flick to me.

dex14 06-07-17 09:41 AM

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J150XsV4WAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RichC2 06-07-17 09:45 AM

Sounds about as good as Van Helsing.

TheHive08 06-07-17 10:21 AM

Because unlike the old movies that supposedly inspired it, "The Mummy" has no atmosphere, no menace, no romance. And instead falls back on the Marvel Blockbuster Blueprint - motiveless villain, mystical power source, demolished cities and lots of spin-off possibilities...

It's not that a new "The Mummy" has to have a perfectly calibrated story. But it should have a sense of what made the original story appealing. And then find a way to make it new and different - diving deeper into the tale's mythology, or barely veiled eroticism. It has to have its own reason to exist beyond simply raising a tentpole.

Unfortunately director Alex Kurtzman neither has a strong visual sense, nor a hint of how to stage action, nor use actors. "The Mummy" has always been about undying passion. Yet after casting the alluring Sofia Boutella as the ancient Egyptian, he keeps her wrapped up in bandages or prudishly blurred. No eldritch eros here.

But then that's the point, as well as the problem. "The Mummy" isn't really a mummy movie. It's barely a horror movie. What it's really meant to be is the launch of the studio's new marketing megaverse where the monsters are the new superheroes, and spinoffs and sequels can continue into franchised infinity.

And that may be the scariest thing of all.
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/movi...e_of_yawn.html

mphtrilogy 06-07-17 10:26 AM

jack reacher meets the mummy.. I'm in... when it comes out on DVD that is.. just like jack reacher.. I expect it to be a decent watch

Mike86 06-07-17 11:30 AM

I hate that Stuckmann can never just have a normal face in his thumbnails. His review sounds pretty middle of the road. Maybe I'll just wait for the Blu-ray.

dex14 06-07-17 11:42 AM

Not looking good. 26% with 22 reviews so far : https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_mummy_2017

fumanstan 06-07-17 12:05 PM

Oof, sounds bland. Disappointing, I expected a Tom Cruise action movie to be more "fun"

d2cheer 06-07-17 12:09 PM

Their "New Dark Universe" is misguided and I doubt more than a couple of movies ever materialize (unless they are already filming) after this flames out.

stingermck 06-07-17 12:31 PM

I was hyped for this but as it got closer and each trailer cut was the exact same thing, my interest really fell off.

Hokeyboy 06-07-17 12:37 PM

Oh the perils of world-building without having first building up audience goodwill... And coming out of the gate with Alex freakin Kurtzman at the helm, no less.

stvn1974 06-07-17 12:44 PM

Orci and Kurtzman are worse than seeing Lindelof or Nolan in the credits for me.

Hokeyboy 06-07-17 01:11 PM

Well god DAMN -eek-

The Antipodean 06-07-17 03:14 PM

Sigh, wasn't expecting much but as a huge fan of the REAL Universal monsters had a glimmer of hope and annoyed at how they've been roped into the latest corporate-decreed 'shared universe' clusterfuck.

Jackskeleton 06-07-17 03:21 PM

clearly this "dark universe" is just going to have to wait for yet another Mummy reboot.

Double_Oh_7 06-07-17 04:41 PM

I like Tom Cruise, but I have no desire to see this.

OldBoy 06-07-17 07:47 PM

I can wait...