Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Blackcoat's Daughter (2017, D: Osgood Perkins) S: Emma Roberts, Kiernan Shipka

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Blackcoat's Daughter (2017, D: Osgood Perkins) S: Emma Roberts, Kiernan Shipka

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

During the dead of winter, a troubled young woman (Emma Roberts) embarks on a mysterious journey to an isolated prep school where two stranded students (Kiernan Shipka, Lucy Boynton) face a sinister threat from an unseen evil force.
So, I just saw this and damn, pretty effect supernatural-horror flick. Roberts and Boynton were decent but Shipka was a standout to me.

Anyone else catch this yet? Comes out on Tuesday on Blu-ray and DVD.

I would post the overview from the back cover but it's both misleading and too spoiler-y... So perhaps avoid it.
Old 05-27-17, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Re: The Blackcoat's Daughter (2017, D: Osgood Perkins) S: Emma Roberts, Kiernan Shipk

I've never even heard of this but it sounds intriguing. I'm interested now.
Old 05-27-17, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Blackcoat's Daughter (2017, D: Osgood Perkins) S: Emma Roberts, Kiernan Shipk

Osgood Perkins - Tony's son, I presume?
Old 05-27-17, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pRc_-iK3RVE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-27-17, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

This movie is from 2015 and was called "February." Perkins' newest movie from 2016 can be seen on Netflix, "I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House."
Old 05-27-17, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by mike7162
Osgood Perkins - Tony's son, I presume?
Indeed he is.
Old 06-18-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Just bought this bluray because of the positive word of mouth. I love slow-burn horror films.
Old 06-19-17, 09:09 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i disliked this one, a lot.
Old 06-19-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife and I watched it on Prime last week. By the end of the movie, we were rolling our eyes at the "twist."
Old 06-30-17, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Just bought this bluray because of the positive word of mouth. I love slow-burn horror films.
Have you watched it yet? Both of his movie are the slow-burn type. I appreciate them and liked this one as well as his other movie. Shipka gives a super-creepy performance. I want to rent it again to listen to Perkins' commentary.
Old 07-04-17, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Have you watched it yet? Both of his movie are the slow-burn type. I appreciate them and liked this one as well as his other movie. Shipka gives a super-creepy performance. I want to rent it again to listen to Perkins' commentary.
Not yet, but I watched I Am the Pretty Thing... last night and I thought it was great. Slowly paced, but very unsettling and at times poetic. It's been stuck in my thoughts all day. Really looking forward to watching this one.
Old 07-05-17, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Not yet, but I watched I Am the Pretty Thing... last night and I thought it was great. Slowly paced, but very unsettling and at times poetic. It's been stuck in my thoughts all day. Really looking forward to watching this one.
That movie grabbed me right at the start with how he showed the ghost slowly moving across the screen. Really liked the rest of the flick.
Old 07-05-17, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That movie grabbed me right at the start with how he showed the ghost slowly moving across the screen. Really liked the rest of the flick.
Yes, most viewers would find it boring and frustratingly ambiguous, but I was captivated from the opening shot. I love the way figure slowly crept into frame and the way they superimposed characters standing in two different directions. I am the Pretty Thing had a unique cinematic voice and a very creepy atmosphere, which I'm a sucker for. If Blackcoat is similar I think Perkins will be a director to watch closely.
Old 07-06-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of her voice, I was on a Facebook page devoted to horror movies on Netflix. Many complained that her voice was boring. I would argue, she's a ghost...how would expect her to sound?
Old 07-06-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

^Based on the post above, no one really needs to watch the movie now.

When I was reading the DVD case for this in a U.S. Walmart a couple of weeks ago, it set off vague recollections that I might have seen it already, or that it was strangely similar to something I'd seen. Looked it up at home and discovered it was originally called FEBRUARY (as noted earlier in this thread), the title I'd seen it under at TIFF way back in 2015. At the time. I remember digging the ultra-slow-burn vibe -- for a while -- but didn't feel the twist really justified it, nor was it spelled out as clearly as Oz Perkins rather defensively claimed it was in the Q&A (in a somewhat condescending attempt to rally some supportive applause from those who "got it" that really fell flat). I think most of the audience "got it", but the overall vibe was "that's it?". At the time, I thought it was a promising if monotonous and unintentionally ambiguous (as Perkins response confirmed) debut, better viewed as a mood piece than a straight-up genre exercise, which is not entirely a bad thing. I AM THE PRETTY THING all but confirmed this to be Perkins' m.o., but I have to wonder how many features that kind of style can sustain from one guy in this day and age. Maybe lots, what do I know? I'm not surprised that it was held back until after PRETTY THING. I'm also not sure the name change was an improvement.
Old 07-06-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian T
When I was reading the DVD case for this in a U.S. Walmart a couple of weeks ago, it set off vague recollections that I might have seen it already, or that it was strangely similar to something I'd seen. Looked it up at home and discovered it was originally called FEBRUARY (as noted earlier in this thread), the title I'd seen it under at TIFF way back in 2015.
I mentioned it in post #5
Old 07-06-17, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

I mentioned it in post #5
As I noted.

Originally Posted by Brian T
Looked it up at home and discovered it was originally called FEBRUARY (as noted earlier in this thread)
Old 07-06-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, shit. I read the post but didn't see that. Weird. Sorry.
Old 07-23-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Just caught this on Amz Prime. Very impressed by Perkins' filmmaking. The visuals and editing really draw you into the slow building and mysterious plot and eventually you become invested in the characters' lives and trying to figure out what the hell is going on. And the performances of the three actresses were top notch. Didn't even realize that was the chick from "Sing Street" at first. She was very good here playing a different type of character.

The movie kind of reminded me of films like "Hereditary" and "Starry Eyes," with a slow burning pace that erupts into unsettling violence (although I think this movie handled the supernatural undertones better than those other two films did).

I have one major gripe with the movie though and it concerns the casting

Spoiler:

Emma Roberts and Shipka were playing the same character nine years apart, but they don't really look much alike at all. (Shipka looks more like a cross between Emma Watson and Saoirse Ronan).

In fact, Emma Roberts looks more like Boynton than she does Shipka, which had me thinking at first that she might be related in some way to Boynton's character.

I feel it was a major cheat for the director to cast two actresses who don't really look alike and then to make it a major reveal that they were playing the same person.

Other than that, I thought this was a very promising debut from Perkins and appreciated that he didn't try to spell everything out for the audience (though he almost went too far in the other direction), and will try to catch his 2nd feature, "I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House."
Old 03-23-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Blackcoat's Daughter (2017, D: Osgood Perkins) S: Emma Roberts, Kiernan Shipka

Just finished watching this and really liked it. Atmospheric & creepy.

4/5
Old 03-23-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Blackcoat's Daughter (2017, D: Osgood Perkins) S: Emma Roberts, Kiernan Shipka

Kiernan Shipka plays the titular role on Netflix's Chilling Adventure of Sabrina.
Old 10-30-23, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Just finished watching this and really liked it. Atmospheric & creepy.

4/5
Yep. Took me a few years to catch up to it, but this is a genuinely unnerving film. Very well done. Except that twist. I like the idea of it, but it's just not executed well or something.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (10-30-23)
Old 10-30-23, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

This is one of those movies I need to revisit because it comes up often on a lot of recommendation lists. And I'll admit I was a little confused with the multiple timelines so I started zoning out, so it's fair to say I did not give this movie a proper chance.

That works sometimes, but not all the time. I've given Session 9 three times to wow me, and it just doesn't. I'm done with that one.
Old 10-31-23, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Perkins' next movie, Longlegs could be interesting. Stars Nicolas Cage.
Old 01-26-24, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Made good on my promise to revisit this title and very glad I did. It worked so much better once I knew I was in for a "slow burn" (I think my first viewing I was in the mood for something exploitative and less "elevated" to use the parlance of our times). Really sucked me in this time, I was totally invested in everything going on. Also, not sure why I didn't see this on my first viewing (or just forgot about it), when Joan looks at the map, the school is actually the location where we had senior skip day in high school, just with the name (and lake, it's actually a very big lake) of the town changed. But every other name and the highway numbers are still there. So that really got my interest. I had kinda forgotten all about the "twist", so I'm going to want to give this yet another go with the ending fully in mind. That works in some horror movies; try watching the original Wicker Man again keeping in mind exactly how it ends, and suddenly every scene in it will scare you shitless. I love when that happens.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.