Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Us (2019, W/D: Jordan Peele) S: Nyong’o, Duke, Moss

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-23-17, 09:16 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Jordan Peele's next film will hit theaters on March 15, 2019.

Universal Pictures, where Peele has a new two-year deal following the blockbuster success of Get Out, announced the release date Monday.

Peele will write, direct and produce the untitled social thriller. The project is looking to have a larger canvas than Get Out as the budget will be about five times bigger than the low-budget movie Peele made with producer Jason Blum.

Get Out, a horror-thriller that deftly exposes racism, has grossed nearly $230 million at the worldwide box office since opening in February against a $5 million budget. The movie's enormous success — and flush profit margins — have made Peele a directing sensation.

Universal signed the first-look overall production deal with Peele's Monkeypaw Productions banner earlier this month.

While Peele will produce a wide range of projects per the terms of the pact, a key focus will be giving a voice and opportunities to those traditionally underrepresented in front of and behind the camera, be it gender, race or sexual orientation. He also will reunite with Blum on microbudget projects.

Peele founded Monkeypaw in 2012, and the company produced Comedy Central's Key and Peele for five seasons. It is also producing the upcoming Tracy Morgan comedy at TBS. On the film side, Monkeypaw's credits include the New Line comedy Keanu.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...e-date-1006469
Old 05-23-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts
re: Us (2019, W/D: Jordan Peele) S: Nyong’o, Duke, Moss

Keegan Michael Garfunkel Key.
Old 05-23-17, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't think he needs a bigger budget (unless it's just to have more time to film to give him some wiggle room). I'm curious if he can make lightening strike twice.
Old 05-24-17, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

$25m budgeted movies are an endangered species (too high for most indies, too low for most studios), curious what he'll find to do with it.
Old 02-20-18, 09:18 AM

Writer-producer-director Jordan Peele has committed to a new movie that he will make for Universal Pictures, which distributed his low-budget awards sleeper Get Out.

“I am currently writing it, and I'll direct for Universal this year,” he said. “I’m just trying to entertain myself again.”

The three-time Oscar nominee revealed few details, except to say it would also be a genre movie, at least on the surface. “One thing I know is that this is genre; and playing around with the thriller, horror, action, fun genre of intrigue is my favorite. That’s my sweet spot. So I think tonally it should resemble Get Out. That said, I want to make a completely different movie. I want to address something different than race in the next one.”

Peele was speaking Jan. 31 at Loyola Marymount University’s School of Film and TV, where he took part in the ongoing interview series The Hollywood Masters. During that conversation, he also spoke about meeting President Barack Obama, whom he famously mimicked in several sketches on his TV show Key and Peele.

“He had done a little tour around,” Peele recalled. “He was at the Beverly Hilton [Hotel], shaking hands, with his motorcade. You know: ‘Thank you, thank you very much. Thank you very much. All right.’ And then we come up and he’s like, ‘Key and Peele. Tuck it in. Let’s go.’ He sort of bro-hugs and we’re just like, ‘Oh shit. This is cool.’ We’re like, ‘Yo, secret service, we’re good, we’re good.’”

The filmmaker also spoke about the multiyear genesis of Get Out and the various endings he tried — one of which was filmed, and then reshot to make it a lighter, brighter conclusion.

Originally calling his script Get Out of the House, he said: “I planned the plot over the course of four or five years. I sat down and wrote the actual script in two months, the first draft. … The second-to-last ending [was the one] we actually shot [with] Daniel [Kaluuya] getting arrested, and six months later Rod [LilRel Howery's character] is coming, trying to help him figure out what this mysterious secret society was up to. And Chris [Kaluuya's character says], ‘Look, I made my sacrifice and I’m fine with that.’ Very dark, this gut punch. Before that, I had several different ones [endings]. There was a while where it was more of a gated community, and we get to Chris breaking out, but right before he breaks out he meets some sort of final test that we don’t know how it ends. We cut to Rod a couple months later, breaking into the gated community, going down the main street and seeing Chris just looking into the reflection of a window. And he goes: ‘Chris, I've been looking for you. Are you OK?’ And Chris turns to him and goes, ‘I assure you, I don’t know who you’re talking about.’”

A full transcript of the interview at the link: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ra...e-year-1085424
Old 02-21-18, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I don't think he needs a bigger budget (unless it's just to have more time to film to give him some wiggle room). I'm curious if he can make lightening strike twice.
Why wait for it to strike. He's got bottles of it (possibly NSFW):

Old 05-08-18, 08:13 PM

Winston Duke, Lupita Nyong’o and Elisabeth Moss are circling to star in Jordan Peele’s latest movie project, the newly titled Us, for Universal.

The project is Peele’s first feature since Get Out, the little horror movie that became a pop culture phenomenon and Oscar winner.

Peele is once again directing from his own script. He is also producing via his Monkeypaw Productions alongside Sean McKittrick and Jason Blum. Also producing is Monkeypaw’s Ian Cooper.

Universal has already dated the movie for a March 15, 2019, release.

Details are being kept deep in suburbia, but the pic is said to center on two couples, one white, one black. If a deal is made, Duke and Nyong’o would play one couple, while Moss would play part of the other couple.

Nyong'o is said to be in negotiations, while Duke and Moss' potential deals are in earlier stages.

Nyong'o, who won an Oscar for her work in 12 Years a Slave, was last seen in Marvel's Black Panther. She is set to star opposite Viola Davis in TriStar's The Woman King and is attached to star in the feature adaptation of Trevor Noah's best-selling humor biography.

Duke appeared on a handful of TV shows such as Person of Interest and Modern Family before landing the role of M’Baku in Black Panther. The character, both fierce and funny, was one of the breakouts from the movie that has grossed $1.3 billion to date. Duke also appeared in Avenger: Infinity War.

Moss, who is currently starring on season two of the acclaimed Hulu serles The Handmaid’s Tale, is shooting Her Smell for Alex Ross Perry, then will shoot The Kitchen, with Melissa McCarthy and Tiffany Haddish, for New Line, before moving to Us.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...vie-us-1110023
Old 05-08-18, 08:21 PM

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 05-08-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Sounds promising. He sure did a virtuosic directing job on Get Out. All but the ending and the comic relief involving the friend was close to masterful.
Old 05-09-18, 10:45 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Oh here we go again. The ending was perfect.

And the friend lightened the tone in a much needed way AND introduced a lot of the far fetched premise by making it funny.
Old 05-09-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

And the friend lightened the tone in a much needed way AND introduced a lot of the far fetched premise by making it funny.
Agreed.
Old 05-09-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

Yep. Loved the friend, funny stuff.
Old 12-10-18, 05:28 AM

After confirming with two separate sources, /Film can exclusively reveal this is the plot synopsis being sent out with recent test screening invites for Jordan Peele’s new film Us:

A mother (Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o from Black Panther, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and 12 Years a Slave) and a father (Winston Duke from Black Panther) take their kids to their beach house expecting to unplug and unwind with friends (including Emmy winner Elizabeth Moss from TV series The Handmaid’s Tale). But as night descends, their serenity turns to tension and chaos when some shocking visitors arrive uninvited.

In addition to those cast members mentioned in the synopsis, the cast of Us also features Tim Heidecker (Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!), Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Aquaman), and Anna Diop (Titans), Shahadi Wright Joseph, Evan Alex, Madison Curry, and twins Cali & Noelle Sheldon.

Jordan Peele’s Us is slated to hit theaters on March 15, 2019.
https://www.slashfilm.com/jordan-pee...plot-synopsis/
Old 12-10-18, 10:49 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Is Winston Duke related to Bill Duke?
Old 12-13-18, 11:26 AM

The first trailer for Jordan Peele's "new nightmare" 'Us' drops on Christmas Day.

Old 12-25-18, 08:58 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hNCmb-4oXJA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-25-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Looks interesting. Sorta like a horror movie version of The One I Love.

I'm in.
Old 12-25-18, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm one of the few that didn't think Get Out was so amazing, so I don't know what to think of this. The concept talked about is interesting, but the trailer doesn't do much for me.
Old 12-25-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Diggin' that Trailer. I'm in.
Old 12-25-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Meh, looks much more like standard horror fare than Get Out, which was so good because of its subtle and gradual accretion of unease.
Old 12-25-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

If it wasn't for the "they are us" line. I would agree that it looked like a generic honor movie. Im curious and will probably see it just to see if it turns out being good.
Old 12-25-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Meh. Trailer didn’t do much for me. I didn’t think Get Out was bad, but it’s kind of a movie that loses its impact after you watch it once in my opinion.
Old 12-25-18, 09:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

i loved Get Out, but this looks bigger budget (which i'm sure he got), bigger everything with a little more bizarreness and some typical horror shots. but, who knows...
Old 12-27-18, 10:50 AM

I really hope that "I Got 5 on It" is actually incorporated into the score like that because it sounds awesome.
Old 12-27-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Meh, looks much more like standard horror fare than Get Out...
I agree, I hope the atmosphere of the film is nothing like the trailer.

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
...which was so good because of its subtle and gradual accretion of unease.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.