DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   RIP - Roger Moore (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/640202-rip-roger-moore.html)

General Zod 05-23-17 08:27 AM

RIP - Roger Moore

Having grown up during the time he was bond.. he was "my" James Bond.

:(

inri222 05-23-17 08:30 AM

Re: RIP - Roger Moore

RIP Simon Templar

LorenzoL 05-23-17 08:30 AM

RIP Roger Moore.

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 13079332)

Mine too.

wishbone 05-23-17 08:33 AM

Same. :( RIP Roger Moore

GoldenJCJ 05-23-17 08:38 AM

Same here. I was a tad too young during Moore's era but his Bond movies were always the ones my dad watched, which meant they were the films I watched.

dex14 05-23-17 08:46 AM

He was in a few of my favorites for sure. RIP.

E Unit 05-23-17 08:57 AM

Ouch, this one hurts. Childhood favorite and when I really starting getting into the Bond movie. RIP ole chap.

B.A. 05-23-17 08:59 AM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...0910f77246.jpg

I guess so.

dom56 05-23-17 09:00 AM

Live and Let Die is probably my favorite of Moore's Bond films following by For Your Eyes Only.

RIP Roger Moore

B.A. 05-23-17 09:01 AM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...525d122474.jpg

B.A. 05-23-17 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by dom56 (Post 13079372)
Live and Let Die is probably my favorite of Moore's Bond films following by For Your Eyes Only.

RIP Roger Moore

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5338bd699c.jpg

The old Bond posters are great.

TomOpus 05-23-17 09:15 AM

Wasn't my favorite Bond but he's in my Top 3.

:rip:

B5Erik 05-23-17 09:23 AM

He wasn't the ideal James Bond, but he made the part his own and gave two absolutely fantastic performances in the role in The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only.

He WAS James Bond when I grew up. My first Bond movie in the theaters was The Spy Who Loved Me. I didn't warm up to Sean Connery until after I had warmed up to Timothy Dalton. Roger's performances were so likeable that I didn't understand what James Bond had been and what the character was originally all about.

As I got older I realized that Roger's Bond movies were less substantial (with a couple exceptions) than most of the other 007 movies, but they're still entertaining and enjoyable - mainly because of Roger Moore's performances.

nando820 05-23-17 09:29 AM

RIP sir. You would always be the funny Bond to me, not as in a clown haha funny but the one that was able to laugh a little unlike the others.

milo bloom 05-23-17 09:33 AM

He was my first Bond. Growing up in the 80's, ABC would play his Bond films on the Sunday Night Movie and my dad always loved watching them so I was right there with them.

Looking back on them, I realize they weren't always as serious as the other Bond films, but Moore's Bond still plugged away, getting the job done. I guess that's what I liked about his performance.

General Zod 05-23-17 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by nando820 (Post 13079414)
RIP sir. You would always be the funny Bond to me, not as in a clown haha funny but the one that was able to laugh a little unlike the others.

astrochimp 05-23-17 09:40 AM

Same for me.

Saw "For Your Eyes Only" and "Moonraker" at the theatre when I was a kid.

I remember one of the Connery one's was on TV not long after that and I asked my dad, "Who the hell is this guy?" :lol:

:rip: Sir Roger Moore

hdnmickey 05-23-17 09:42 AM

Like so many others, he was the original James Bond for me as we headed to the theater to see the latest release. First for me was Moonraker. But of course as I discovered home video, I quickly realized the majority of his movies would be my least favorite in the series.

Maxflier 05-23-17 10:00 AM

I was never much into the Bond movies, but he is the one who I always associated with the character.

Paul_SD 05-23-17 10:04 AM

Like a lot of people here he was "my" Bond too. I got taken to LaLD at the age of 6, and also caught Moonraker and FYEO at the theater. I was, and still am, a big fan of Moonraker despite readily acknowledging it's weaknesses.

If you haven't already, check out ffolkes which, besides being a crackerjack action movie, is one of the few things that allowed him to do something a little anti-Bond in ways.

I Had his memoir (My Word Is My Bond) in my hands last fall at a Half Price Books. It was only $3 but I didn't get it as I was already going to be coming home with three boxes of stuff. I've frequently regretted not throwing it in since , as he was a very charming and witty raconteur in the passages I read in the store.

He seemed like a genuinely good human being too. You will be missed, sir.

Sonny Corinthos 05-23-17 10:41 AM

Like many have already said, Moore is the Bond I grew up watching.

Just saw this on Facebook: Remembering Sir Roger Moore who passed away today at age 89. Watch him tonight on Johnny Carson at 10p ET on Antenna TV.

Sex Fiend 05-23-17 10:59 AM

RIP Roger...

He did always seem like a genuinely affable guy, as movie stars go. His Bond films were a mixed bag, some of them being the weakest in the series, but he always made them fun at the least.

That being said, I always loved "The Saint" television series, and thought he was absolutely great in that.

A lot of people tend to forget he was in "Maverick" (TV series), too.

Mike86 05-23-17 11:29 AM

He wasn't my favorite Bond but I watched a lot of the films he starred in as the character. I probably like The Man with the Golden Gun the best of his Bond movies. RIP.

Cardsfan111 05-23-17 11:40 AM

I have to echo many of the thoughts here. My dad loved the Bond films. And when I think of the ones he watched as I was growing up, Roger Moore was the hero. And for that reason, this news is a little more sad for me. :rip:

Giantrobo 05-23-17 11:51 AM

RIP Sir Roger Moore.