Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Universal's Dark Universe -- reboot of classic monsters

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Universal's Dark Universe -- reboot of classic monsters

Old 01-28-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
re: Universal's Dark Universe -- reboot of classic monsters

Shit, they could have still kept The Wolfman with Benicio as part of the shared universe and they just focused on the newer monsters that hadn't had their own film in decades. I prefer The Wolfman director's cut/unrated version myself. I have the BD UK steelbook of that.
Old 01-28-19, 07:19 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I like the idea of a shared universe, too bad the screwed the pooch from jump street.
Old 01-28-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I recently saw the new The Mummy and I absolutely hated it. And I usually like Tom
Cruise movies. Actually, I dropped it from the DVR with 30 minutes remaining as I couldn’t stand it anymore.

It turned into a zombie film instead of Egyptian mythology. I’m usually fascinated with Egyptian history and The Mummy did not deliver.

The Brendan Fraser version is still good though. I liked that one.
Old 01-28-19, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Hate to sound like a broken record, but enough of the "shared universes". Just make good movies, please.

If I were Universal, I'd be trying to create some new monsters alongside the Dracluas, Frankensteins, Wolfmans, etc. Expand the concept of the "horror movie monster" accordingly. But I like what they're doing. Brand it as whatever you want but don't call or treat it like a "shared universe" -- call them something simple like Universal Monster Cinema. Do like 1 or 2 a year. Keep it small/medium budgeted and get directors with vision and creativity. If one fails, no big loss, another might work.
The funny thing is, this “universe” is already inherently connected. Universal could have filmed stand alone movies that connected at a later date and it should have been effortless. Universal’s monsters don’t take a detailed map and interconnected stories and characters to create a shared universe. They’re already a shared damn universe!
Old 01-29-19, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I really liked the shared universe monster concept when it was done in Penny Dreadful.
Yes, Penny Dreadful is what Universal’s “Dark Universe” should have been like, but, apparently, they couldn’t get the concept to fly, even on pay cable. PD was quite good up until the midfle of the third season when they seemingly scuttled the ship and rushed to an ending.
Old 01-29-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

My Theory based on anecdotal evidence that involves being in Universal Monster groups on Social Media.

Old Dudes....They are the ones who still hold a torch..pun intended... for the Old Monsters.

Had Universal figured out a way to cater to them with, based on what I've read in those groups..less gore, less CGI, more scares less action adventure, etc this "Dark Universe" thing might have worked. So basically they hate all the things that the younger target audiences want to see.
Old 01-29-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I really feel like the monster movies would work better as period pieces. Basically play them off either as direct sequels to the old films or at least in that era. You could have them in color rather than in black and white. For some reason I feel like modernizing them just doesn’t work as well.
Old 01-29-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86
I really feel like the monster movies would work better as period pieces. Basically play them off either as direct sequels to the old films or at least in that era. You could have them in color rather than in black and white. For some reason I feel like modernizing them just doesn’t work as well.
I think that is also an issue for the Old Dudes. They want Gothic, not "updated and made cool for the kids".
Old 01-29-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I think that is also an issue for the Old Dudes. They want Gothic, not "updated and made cool for the kids".
I think it’s just modern technologies and stuff don’t fit with the characters well. I think it also applies to a lot of horror to be honest. It’s not as suspenseful being chased by a monster or killer when everyone has their cell phones or other devices to aid them along.
Old 01-29-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86

I think it’s just modern technologies and stuff don’t fit with the characters well. I think it also applies to a lot of horror to be honest. It’s not as suspenseful being chased by a monster or killer when everyone has their cell phones or other devices to aid them along.
Yeah I get that on some level. But to be fair, these creatures are immortal. So at some point having them show up in times post 19th Century isn't a bad idea if done right. Otherwise it becomes "seeing Bruce Wayne's parents killed".... yet again.
Old 02-14-19, 08:48 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Most importantly, Blum and his team are focusing on getting The Invisible Man right before putting the wheels in motion on any other monster movies. However, according to his recent interview with CinePop The Invisible Man is expected to come together quickly, and after that, they’re hopeful to make more. And it’s possible that one of those movies could come from the old pile of Dark Universe scripts. In fact, Blum doesn’t just have the option to look at pre-existing scripts, he says they already have.

“We have actually, we haven’t figured it out yet, but we’ve looked at a couple older scripts and we would be open to doing that”

Also... YES, PLEASE. Someone let her make another feature, damnit!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 02-14-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

The Mummy Wokes?
Old 02-14-19, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

There is a huge difference between subtle socio-political commentary and

Old 02-14-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Also... YES, PLEASE. Someone let her make another feature, damnit!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ooof. This sounds like it was written by a hysterical, woke high school activist. Is this how movies get made?
Old 02-14-19, 01:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Makes Cruise’s version a bit better if that pitch was the other option.
Old 02-14-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

“...this will obviously never get made.”

Ya don’t say?
Old 02-15-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd watch that movie. It's based on fact.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-15-19 at 01:40 PM.