Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Universal's Dark Universe -- reboot of classic monsters

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Universal's Dark Universe -- reboot of classic monsters

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Good News: Universal Rebooting Classic Monsters (Bad News: Alex Kurtzman is invol

Universal has bumped The Mummy reboot to March 24, 2017. That also bumps the their untitled monster film from its previous April 2017 spot to March 30, 2018.
Old 04-25-15, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Good News: Universal Rebooting Classic Monsters (Bad News: Alex Kurtzman is invol

Originally Posted by Jory

It's more or less the book. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember enjoying it well enough, even though it feels like the cheap TV miniseries that it is.

I've also been told that the 1977 film Terror of Frankenstein (aka Victor Frankenstein) is pretty much the book, but I haven't seen it and I've heard nothing but bad things about it.

Of course, if it's a good big-budget version of the book you're looking for, then you're out of luck. I guess Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is as close as you can get. It doesn't make a total fucking mockery of the book the way Bram Stoker's Dracula does, but it still strays too far to be considered truly faithful.
Watched Terror of Frankenstein and although it was not a great movie and super low budget it was very faithful to the book. The creation scene was laughably low budget and poorly done. Still glad I saw it.
Old 06-03-15, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Colin Trevorrow might be a good choice to direct one of these monster reboots. Jurassic World, at least from the trailers, does look entertaining. If it becomes a big hit for Universal, I could see them offering him an opportunity as it's been reported he won't direct the inevitable JP5.
Old 06-03-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It looks like directing JP4 added a few years to him, and he still can't smile.
Old 05-22-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Universal's Dark Universe

Universal Goes All In With Their 'Dark Universe,' Slates 'Bride Of Frankenstein' For 2019

So much for Universal not emphasizing the “cinematic universe” thing…

Fresh off the presses, Universal/Comcast Corp. just dropped a massive press release with images, videos, website likes and a deluge of details, many of them admittedly aspirational and theoretical, concerning what is now known as their “Dark Universe.” That is the official name for the wave of big-budget classic monsters movies coming our way, beginning with Dracula Untold The Mummy.

Said Tom Cruise action-adventure, due June 9th, is intended to be the first in a connected batch of horror-themed biggies, and up until recently the general audiences marketing hasn’t been that upfront about highlighting said connection. Well, with 2.5 weeks to go and a desire to get some attention as we all obsess over Pirates 5 and Wonder Woman, the black cat is entirely out of the bag. For better or worse, they are no longer playing coy with a “wait and see” approach.

First, the most important news: The next film in the franchise/shared universe is going to be Bill Condon’s The Bride of Frankenstein, presumably starring Javier Bardem as Frankenstein’s monster. Yes, they are skipping the traditional Frankenstein story, which I guess is the monster movie equivalent of skipping the origin story. No word on A) if Dr. Frankenstein will appear in the film or B) who is playing the title role, although (speculation alert) even money says someone like Charlize Theron (especially if Atomic Blonde plays big in late July), long-rumored favorite Angelina Jolie , Salma Hayek or Nicole Kidman gets the gig.

The film, written by David Koepp, will be slotted for February 14, 2019 (that’s a Thursday), continuing Universal’s commitment to having kinky, adult-skewing erotic/romantic thrillers available each Valentine’s Day season.

Also of note, we’re getting what amounts to a theme music for this “world of gods and monsters,” composed by… take a guess. No, really, who is the first name that popped into your head? Yup, the correct answer is Danny Elfman. Elfman’s intro theme will play with the Dark Universe logo before The Mummy and every other would-be Dark Universe movie for as long as this franchise sticks around.

Whoever gets the title role in The Bride of Frankenstein will join Javier Bardem as Frankenstein’s monster, Johnny Depp as The Invisible Man, Russell Crowe as Dr. Jekyll (and Mr. Hyde), Sofia Boutella as the title character in The Mummy and Tom Cruise as… that guy who fights the mummy and presumably sticks around for a return engagement. We heard rumblings ages ago about Scarlett Johansson headlining The Creature from the Black Lagoon and Dwayne Johnson as the Wolfman, but I think the statute of limitations have expired on those rumors. If they don’t want to pay Leonardo DiCaprio $75 million to play Dracula, I’d suggest Oscar Isaac or Chiwetel Ejiofor.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#69f117f65374
Old 05-22-17, 12:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: Universal's Dark Universe -- reboot of classic monsters

FINALLY!!! A Sequel to Dark City!!!

Oh....nevermind.
Old 05-22-17, 01:17 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Welcome to a new world of gods and monsters. #DarkUniverse | Repost via @darkuniverse

A post shared by Universal Pictures (@universalpictures) on <time style=" font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px;" datetime="2017-05-22T17:34:31+00:00">May 22, 2017 at 10:34am PDT</time>

<script async defer src="//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js"></script>

<iframe width="656" height="359" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XM1NJZ8bGSc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-22-17, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit

Oh....nevermind.
Old 05-22-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Luke Evans is still around as Dracula right?
Old 05-22-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
Luke Evans is still around as Dracula right?
I don't think Dracula Untold is part of this universe (was supposed to be, but due to lackluster box office, it's shifted to The Mummy instead).
Old 05-22-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Sigh. I liked that movie, and at the time it was said Dracula was the start of the universe.
Old 05-22-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They should cast a black guy for Dracula then have to keep telling people they are not remaking Blackula.
Old 05-22-17, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I don't think Dracula Untold is part of this universe (was supposed to be, but due to lackluster box office, it's shifted to The Mummy instead).
so what if The Mummy under performs, reboot again?
Old 05-22-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit

Oh....nevermind.
After The Crow 2, I don't think I'd ever want a Dark City sequel. It ended perfectly.
Old 05-22-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I think it's cool that they're properly rebooting the Universal Monsters. I have no problems with this at all.
Old 05-22-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nando820
Or conveniently forget they're starting one, lol.
Old 05-22-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just based on what I've seen of The Mummy, I am not feeling this. We'll see.
Old 05-22-17, 03:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
After The Crow 2, I don't think I'd ever want a Dark City sequel. It ended perfectly.
Proyas didn't have anything to do with that. Of course Proyas didn't write The Crow either. Dark City was conceived and written by him. I thought a well done sequel would be great. But you're right, it also ended perfectly.
Old 05-22-17, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
They will release the home video under the title "Gods, Monsters, Repeat".
Old 05-22-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

While I am keen on the idea of revitalizing the classic properties, the concept of a fully shared universe has me a bit flat. I was hoping for appropriate period pieces.
Old 05-22-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another Frankenstein movie huh. We've had Victor Frankenstein, I Frankenstein and Frankenstein. And thats just since 2014. Much rather have Dracula than another one of those. Dr Jekyll does look interesting though.
Old 05-22-17, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Just based on what I've seen of The Mummy, I am not feeling this. We'll see.
Same here, sadly enough.

Don't update this universe with big spectacle action. This would be the ideal universe to populate with mid-budget films steeped in atmosphere; updated versions of the classics. Kind of like what "The Wolfman" did which, story issues aside, looked gorgeous.
Old 05-22-17, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

I wonder if Depp and Bardem might have cameos in this one? Strange that they were conveniently on hand for what was obviously a Mummy photo shoot. If Depp is the Invisible Man they could say he was present and we would have to take their word for it.
Old 05-22-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

And no Wolfman either. Looks like they'll be doing those last once several years have past from the most recent ones.
Old 05-22-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I wonder if Depp and Bardem might have cameos in this one? Strange that they were conveniently on hand for what was obviously a Mummy photo shoot. If Depp is the Invisible Man they could say he was present and we would have to take their word for it.

Or has a "voice" cameo in the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.