Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Welcome to Marwen (2018, D: Zemeckis) S: Carrell, Mann, Kruger, Monáe, Wever

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Welcome to Marwen (2018, D: Zemeckis) S: Carrell, Mann, Kruger, Monáe, Wever

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
re: Welcome to Marwen (2018, D: Zemeckis) S: Carrell, Mann, Kruger, Monáe, Wever

I don't think Zemeckis has gone for story achievements anymore. He's more of a technology mover. He's been on that since Forrest Gump. Everyone of his films have used or tried to use new technology. Sometimes it works and sometimes it looks creepy like those creepy eyed characters from that CGI christmas movie he did.

I'll probably use Sinemia for this.
Old 12-04-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
re: Welcome to Marwen (2018, D: Zemeckis) S: Carrell, Mann, Kruger, Monáe, Wever

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

I'll probably use Sinemia for this.
I read that as "I'll probably sue Sinemia for this"

Saw a commercial for this recently. Looks like it might be good but I'm surprised there is a cross dressing angle to this, it struck me odd to hear them use the term "hate crime" in a period piece. Isn't that a relatively recent term- maybe 80s?
Old 12-04-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Looks like it might be good but I'm surprised there is a cross dressing angle to this, it struck me odd to hear them use the term "hate crime" in a period piece. Isn't that a relatively recent term- maybe 80s?
Mark Hogancamp's real-life attack took place in 2000. Judging from the cars I could glimpse in the trailer, the movie is probably set around that time, and into the following years while he was building his village. That village, of course, is "set" in the 1940's, and the animated CGI dolls do give off a period piece vibe, I suppose.
Old 12-19-18, 11:34 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts
Re: Welcome to Marwen (2018, D: Zemeckis) S: Carrell, Mann, Kruger, Monáe, Wever

Reviews coming in: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wel...arwen/reviews/

Sounds like it isn't very good, unfortunately...
Old 12-19-18, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Welcome to Marwen (2018, D: Zemeckis) S: Carrell, Mann, Kruger, Monáe, Wever

Damn, the wife and I had been anticipating this one.
Old 12-19-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Looks like a really expensive bomb to me.
Old 12-19-18, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I don't think Zemeckis has gone for story achievements anymore. He's more of a technology mover. He's been on that since Forrest Gump. Everyone of his films have used or tried to use new technology. Sometimes it works and sometimes it looks creepy like those creepy eyed characters from that CGI christmas movie he did.
"Flight" was a fairly straightforward Alcoholism/Addiction story as I recall, once it was past the mid-air crisis at the beginning.
Old 12-19-18, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Likewise Cast Away was a green screen mess. Wilson was an absolute bitch to render. All those particles of sand set a new standard in CG.
Old 12-20-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Reviews coming in: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wel...arwen/reviews/

Sounds like it isn't very good, unfortunately...
Not surprising. It does not look very good to me. My girlfriend loves Steve Carrell and even she does not want to see this.
Old 12-20-18, 10:33 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Likewise Cast Away was a green screen mess. Wilson was an absolute bitch to render. All those particles of sand set a new standard in CG.
Cast Away used a tremendous amount of special effects. At times even the direction of the wind and the ways the palm trees are swaying in the breeze was done with effects.
Old 12-20-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

He did three of those creepy eyed CGI movies in a row. "The Polar Express", "Beowulf" and "A Christmas Carol". I agree though that he is mostly obsessed with technology over substance. But I am a huge fan of many of his films: "Death Becomes Her", "Back to the Future 1 and 2", "Contact", "Used Cars", "What Lies Beneath", "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".
Old 12-20-18, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The comments in this thread are giving me an Elgin Park vibe. Similar situations. If you're not familiar with Elgin Park, check out YouTube.
Old 12-21-18, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daytripper
He did three of those creepy eyed CGI movies in a row. "The Polar Express", "Beowulf" and "A Christmas Carol". I agree though that he is mostly obsessed with technology over substance. But I am a huge fan of many of his films: "Death Becomes Her", "Back to the Future 1 and 2", "Contact", "Used Cars", "What Lies Beneath", "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".

I did like Beowulf, though.
Old 12-21-18, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DWilson
"Flight" was a fairly straightforward Alcoholism/Addiction story as I recall, once it was past the mid-air crisis at the beginning.
Outside of that air sequence, the movie sucked.
Old 12-21-18, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Outside of that air sequence, the movie sucked.
I don't disagree with that at all. I was surprised that it did turn out to be a fairly standard Addiction movie with all the well-worn plot-points of the genre.

I haven't seen the documentary in years, -did Hogancamp actually go to court and face his attackers as is shown in the trailer?
Old 12-21-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

These reviews are brutal:

"The amazing-but-true story of the idiosyncratic artist Mark Hogancamp has been turned into a bloated Hollywood techno fantasy that has to be seen to be disbelieved."

"Welcome to Marwen is not only one of the worst films released by a major studio in 2018; it's also one of the most offensive."

"Mind-numbingly immense, joylessly violent and utterly lifeless... You've got to see it to believe it, though I wouldn't advise doing so."
Old 12-21-18, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

The crazy thing is that the documentary itself has a 98% rating on RT:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marwencol/

I guess this is a case where art shouldn't imitate life.
Old 12-21-18, 09:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Looks like a really expensive bomb to me.
I read this was a fairly low budget one, like $40 mil, which is cheap considering the special effects and cast.

This reminds me of when Forrest Gump was coming out. I was a projectionist and we got a few trailers for it. The teaser was heavily skewed towards the action, trying to show it as a straight up action flick. A few weeks later we got a note from Paramount asking to destroy those trailers and to put some new ones on. The new trailer nixed all of the action and went straight towards the emotional drama. Then that was nixed and we got the longer more common trailer everyone saw before the movie came out that has action and drama.

Considering it was also Zemeckis, I'm wondering if he was using the same approach to this one as Gump. He wants it to be several things, but they don't know how to market it.
Old 12-21-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Carell probably needs to reconsider taking on this kind of obvious award-bait role as it doesn't seem to pay off much. Reminds me of Robin Williams' career in some ways.
Old 12-21-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Exactly, another actor who did great comedy, no longer doing comedy.
Old 12-21-18, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit
I read this was a fairly low budget one, like $40 mil, which is cheap considering the special effects and cast.

This reminds me of when Forrest Gump was coming out. I was a projectionist and we got a few trailers for it. The teaser was heavily skewed towards the action, trying to show it as a straight up action flick. A few weeks later we got a note from Paramount asking to destroy those trailers and to put some new ones on. The new trailer nixed all of the action and went straight towards the emotional drama. Then that was nixed and we got the longer more common trailer everyone saw before the movie came out that has action and drama.

Considering it was also Zemeckis, I'm wondering if he was using the same approach to this one as Gump. He wants it to be several things, but they don't know how to market it.
I recall that Zemeckis approved the trailers that spoiled the big plot-twist in "What Lies Beneath" (making the first 90 minutes or so a waste) and spoiling the ending of "Cast Away".

Last edited by DWilson; 12-21-18 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-21-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Exactly, another actor who did great comedy, no longer doing comedy.
Cute, but he did occasionally try "serious" roles, and rarely set the box office alight, even when he excelled in them.
Old 12-21-18, 05:51 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

I saw it. It wasn't THAT bad. But yes, it is schmaltzy. Especially if you go in comparing it to the doc. A lot of fiction incorporated in. I saw some reviews say it was the worst movie of the year which is ridiculous.

I thought the effects with the dolls were impressive.

Oh, and I can’t believe Zemeckis found a hamfisted way to throw in the Delorean.

Last edited by dex14; 12-21-18 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-21-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Currently expected to only make $2.5M for the 3-day weekend.
Old 12-23-18, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
These reviews are brutal:

"The amazing-but-true story of the idiosyncratic artist Mark Hogancamp has been turned into a bloated Hollywood techno fantasy that has to be seen to be disbelieved."

"Welcome to Marwen is not only one of the worst films released by a major studio in 2018; it's also one of the most offensive."

"Mind-numbingly immense, joylessly violent and utterly lifeless... You've got to see it to believe it, though I wouldn't advise doing so."
I was going to see this movie in the theaters, but after hearing all the reviews I am not going to waste my time. I wonder what was offensive about the movie, I am kind of curious. I’ll definitely check this movie out on video since I have been looking forward to it for a while.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.