Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Welcome to Marwen (2018, D: Zemeckis) S: Carrell, Mann, Kruger, Monáe, Wever

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-19-17, 02:18 PM

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,060 Posts

Leslie Mann and Janelle Monáe are set to star opposite Steve Carell in the Untitled Robert Zemeckis Project at Universal Pictures. The project, written by Zemeckis from a screenplay he penned with Caroline Thompson, is about is based on a 2010 documentary called Marwncol. That film follows a man by the name of Mark Hogancamp who is left brain-damaged and broke, finds recovery in a sixth-scale World War II-era town he’s built in his backyard. It’s really about how artistic imagination can restore the human spirit. Zemeckis is directing.

Steve Starkey (Forrest Gump, Flight) and Jack Rapke (Cast Away, Flight) of Zemeckis’ Universal-based ImageMovers banner are producing with Cherylanne Martin (The Pacific, Flight). Executive producers are Jeff Malmberg (who directed the riveting 2010 documentary) and Jackie Levine.

Universal’s VP of production Maradith Frenkel and its director of development Chloe Yellin are overseeing the project for the studio.

Mann (How to Be Single, The Pact) is represented by CAA and Hansen, Jacobson, Teller, Hoberman, Newman, Warren, Richman, Rush, Kaller & Gellman L.L.P. Monáe (Hidden Figures, Moonlight), is represented by WME and Wondaland Entertainment.
http://deadline.com/2017/05/leslie-m...es-1202098410/
Old 06-20-18, 03:59 PM

re: Welcome to Marwen (2018, D: Zemeckis) S: Carrell, Mann, Kruger, Monáe, Wever

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W6dy7xQ8NeE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This holiday season, Academy Award® winner Robert Zemeckis—the groundbreaking filmmaker behind Forrest Gump, Flight and Cast Away—directs Steve Carell in the most original movie of the year. Welcome to Marwen tells the miraculous true story of one broken man’s fight as he discovers how artistic imagination can restore the human spirit.

When a devastating attack shatters Mark Hogancamp (Carell) and wipes away all memories, no one expected recovery. Putting together pieces from his old and new life, Mark meticulously creates a wondrous town where he can heal and be heroic. As he builds an astonishing art installation—a testament to the most powerful women he knows—through his fantasy world, he draws strength to triumph in the real one.

In a bold, wondrous and timely film from this revolutionary pioneer of contemporary cinema, Welcome to Marwen shows that when your only weapon is your imagination…you’ll find courage in the most unexpected place.

The epic drama is produced by Oscar®-winning producer Steve Starkey (Forrest Gump, Flight), Jack Rapke (Cast Away, Flight), and Cherylanne Martin (The Pacific, Flight) of Zemeckis’ Universal-based ImageMovers banner produce alongside the director. It is executive produced by Jackie Levine, as well as Jeff Malmberg, who directed the riveting 2010 documentary that inspired the film.
Old 06-20-18, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts
re: Welcome to Marwen (2018, D: Zemeckis) S: Carrell, Mann, Kruger, Monáe, Wever

Looks good. Regarding Henry meets Small Soldiers.

I’m a huge fan of Zemeckis and have been eager for him to recapture his live-action glory of the 80s and 90s. I haven’t cared much for his last few movies but I’m hoping this will be a return to form.
Old 06-21-18, 02:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trailer is really awesome I am Steve Carrel's fan so I must watch this movie then I can say anything about it.
Old 06-21-18, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Hope the movie is as good as the trailer. I'm so there.
Old 06-21-18, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

The documentary (from the director of the new Mr. Rogers doc) that this is more or less based on was so astounding in its own right that this literalization of it should've been unnecessary, although Zemeckis seems to have made an effort to duplicate the naturalistic feel and content of many of Mark Hogancamp's original photographs. Hopefully Hogancamp was properly remunerated for his life story. The documentary withholds one key piece of information (easily spoiled by the interwebs) until the very end, and from the looks of the new trailer posted above, Welcome To Marwen might play a similar hand.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pMWFhplFSEQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hogancamp's story also resulted in an excellent book a few years after the documentary:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Brian T; 06-21-18 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Looks interesting, but honestly, Foo Fighters singing "learning to walk again" just as he's trying to learn to walk....um subtle.
Old 06-21-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
The documentary (from the director of the new Mr. Rogers doc) that this is more or less based on was so astounding in its own right that this literalization of it should've been unnecessary
Yeah, I felt that same way about Zemeckis' previous movie The Walk. I was really impressed by Flight, so I hope he doesn't fall into this pattern of just doing covers of really good documentaries.
Old 06-25-18, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

This looks amazing. I'm there.
Old 06-25-18, 07:12 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I guess I am in the minority here. I saw the trailer in front of Jurassic World yesterday and thought it looked terrible. I can appreciate that Zemeckis brings a lot of creativity to most of his projects, but this one just looks hokey to me.
Old 06-25-18, 07:41 AM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 06-25-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by bralph
I guess I am in the minority here. I saw the trailer in front of Jurassic World yesterday and thought it looked terrible. I can appreciate that Zemeckis brings a lot of creativity to most of his projects, but this one just looks hokey to me.
I didn't think it looked terrible, but I agree that the hokey factor is pretty high. Feels like they're trying to hard to pull at the heart-strings.
Old 06-25-18, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Saw the trailer before Jurassic World and thought this looked solid. It also looks like there is a fine line between the movie working on every level or just absolutely falling apart at every seam.

This is Zemeckis, so I'm optimistic.
Old 06-25-18, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I didn't think it looked terrible, but I agree that the hokey factor is pretty high. Feels like they're trying to hard to pull at the heart-strings.
Well, that doesn't sound like a Robert Zemeckis movie at all!

Old 06-25-18, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
The documentary that this is more or less based on was so astounding in its own right that this literalization of it should've been unnecessary
My thoughts exactly.
The doc is superbly powerful and fascinating, and despite Zemeckis' hand this version seems pointless. But if Hogancamp is getting some big $$ I am all for it.

There is a beautiful 'Welcome To Marwencol' book that has some LARGE color images of his creations.
Old 07-18-18, 01:12 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rBiyoc4E3mM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-19-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

The animated segments look kind of cool, but my tent is still pitched in the "just go watch the documentary" camp.
Old 07-19-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

So it will be the fourth movie of the year (after Game Night, Hereditary, and Ant Man & The Wasp) to feature ultra-realistic miniature dioramas. Who knew that would be the cinematic theme of 2018?
Old 11-28-18, 04:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It also looks like there is a fine line between the movie working on every level or just absolutely falling apart at every seam.
This is my exact thought as the commercials are everywhere. I REALLY want this to be great.
Old 11-28-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Eh, skip. The TV spots haven't drawn me in at all.
Old 11-29-18, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I hadn't read this thread, didn't know it was based on anything. I've really been looking forward to it, I think it looks great.
Old 11-29-18, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

From what I've been able to put together from the trailers is that the attack was obviously a hate crime, but the details from there get ambiguous. Is Carell' character gay, jewish, both? Or was it just completely random.
Old 11-29-18, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
From what I've been able to put together from the trailers is that the attack was obviously a hate crime, but the details from there get ambiguous. Is Carell' character gay, jewish, both? Or was it just completely random.
Not really a spoiler I’d think, since this is a true story, but just in case since the trailers aren’t openly revealing it:
Spoiler:
he’s a cross-dresser.
Old 11-29-18, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimaton
Not really a spoiler I’d think, since this is a true story, but just in case since the trailers aren’t openly revealing it:
Spoiler:
he’s a cross-dresser.
Actually, the trailer does if you know what you're looking for:
Spoiler:
There's a fleeting shot of Carrell kicking up his leg wearing a woman's shoe while in his uniform in one of the ads I saw.

I recall watching the original documentary and they were a little cagey about the reason for the attack, revealing it in the last third of the film. It allowed you to get to know the man with fewer preconceptions.
Old 11-30-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 972 Likes on 605 Posts

I saw the original documentary (Marwencol) way back when it first came out. It's a great documentary and a unique and interesting story. Uplifting in many ways, but also tragic and sad. I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.