Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)
10.68%
8.74%
20.39%
19.42%
11.65%
9.71%
6.80%
3.88%
2.91%
2.91%
2.91%
Man of Steely Convictions
0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 03:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Man of Steel" (Starring: Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne)

Release Date:
6/14/2013

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi violence, action and destruction, and for some language throughout)

Running Time:
148min. (2h. 28m.)

Budget:
$225 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
A young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this Earth. As a young man, he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind.

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.8 (158,418 votes as of 7/3/13)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:148 Rotten:115 (56% as of 7/3/13)

Metacritic:
55 metascore ('Mixed or average reviews' as of 7/3/13)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="357"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/73037"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/73037" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="357"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
Old 06-27-13, 03:33 PM

Re: Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Please keep to reviews, discussion of reviews and general discussion only!!!
Old 06-27-13, 03:37 PM

from me:

really clicked on all cylinders for me. really liked this one. sure it wasn't the greatest, but for a summer blockbuster and reboot and a fresh origin story, i really enjoyed it all. great casting and very good performances by all. bring on more!

Old 06-27-13, 03:39 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Part 2 of the thread is a huge disappointment so far. There's no heart.
Old 06-27-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

from me as well. I was entertained but the pacing awkward plotting, and questionable editing choices keep it far from perfect.
Old 06-27-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Part 2 of the thread is a huge disappointment so far. There's no heart.
Your problem is that you're so attached by blind nostalgia and affection for Part 1 that you can't accept a new and improved thread to take its place. I re-read Part 1 and find much of it laughable!!!!111!!!! But you old timers can't deal with change.

Last edited by DieselsDen; 06-27-13 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Because of stupidly misspelled words and poor syntax
Old 06-27-13, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can this be a general discussion thread, too?

Anyone who was going to review this has already done so.

And on that note, I just pre-ordered the Double LP 180 Gram Vinyl Soundtrack today:

Spoiler:
Old 06-27-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo

And on that note, I just pre-ordered the Double LP 180 Gram Vinyl Soundtrack today:

Spoiler:
Be careful with that code. All the DTS Headphone:X codes on the deluxe CD were bad and you need to write/call WB for them to send you a new code. Hopefully the mess doesn't repeat itself with the vinyl release but you never know.

In any case, the DTS Headphone:X code is worthless for me because the app is not available for PC. It's only for a very small number of Android and iOS phones (something to do with the processing power required for the app to work). Also, the download is only for 6 tracks of the album. You need to purchase the rest of the tracks to hear the whole album in DTS Headphone:X.

All that aside, it's a great album and I've been listening to it constantly.
Old 06-27-13, 03:54 PM

Loses a little on not developing The Daily Planet and thus makes part of the climax not as effective as it could have been. Other than that the movie flowed well for me. Probably my second favorite Synder flick after Watchmen. And Hans Zimmer scores huge (pun unintended) with his score. I've listened to it a bunch on Rhapsody. Nobody beats John Williams score, his stuff in the 70's and 80's, and early 90's are classics, but Zimmer's score works better for this sort of film.
Old 06-27-13, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Be careful with that code. All the DTS Headphone:X codes on the deluxe CD were bad and you need to write/call WB for them to send you a new code. Hopefully the mess doesn't repeat itself with the vinyl release but you never know.

In any case, the DTS Headphone:X code is worthless for me because the app is not available for PC. It's only for a very small number of Android and iOS phones (something to do with the processing power required for the app to work). Also, the download is only for 6 tracks of the album. You need to purchase the rest of the tracks to hear the whole album in DTS Headphone:X.

All that aside, it's a great album and I've been listening to it constantly.
Thanks for the heads up. The vinyl isn't scheduled to come out until mid-August, so hopefully that gives WB enough time to fix this.
Old 06-27-13, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo

Spoiler:
That is purrty looking.
Old 06-27-13, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Your problem is that you're so attached by blind nostalgia and affection for Part 1 that you can't accept a new and improved thread to take its place. I re-read Part 1 and find much of it laughable!!!!111!!!! But you old timers can't deal with change.
Old 06-27-13, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Don't think I ever commented on the score in the last thread.
My biases going into the screening were
- I love the Williams score but, just like the film as a whole, was ready for a new interpretation of the material
- I have no problem with scores whose focus is to underscore the material. Theoretically I might even say I prefer that rather than a score that calls too much attention to itself, and competes for attention with the action/story with a succession of recognizable recurring motifs (ala Williams).
- the snatch of the primary theme that was heard in the last couple trailers sounded great to me.
- was seriously considering purchasing the OST prior to seeing the film.
-the tracks of the score I was able to hear in full prior to seeing the film sounded promising, but a little too interchangeable with the Batman scores.

Hearing the score in context with the film, I was surprised that by the end I was getting real sick of the main Superman theme. Maybe because it was the only part of the score that had a recognizable motif to me, it stuck out more like a throbbing sore thumb every time it was recalled, over and over and over.
One of the very rare times I've actually become conscious of a film score in a negative way.

I agree with previous posters that I may have been more on board with the certain choices the film made had the film as a whole been more intelligent, involving, and charming. But I honestly don't know if that better will would have extended to the score- or at least the main theme and how(often) it was used.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 06-27-13 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-27-13, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How long until this thread devolves into what the last one was? Essentially this year's Prometheus thread.
Old 06-27-13, 06:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would hope it won't devolve again, because then I'll have to do more mod stuff. And I actually would prefer not to.
Old 06-27-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't wow'd either. It felt too much like Batman Begins (beat for beat) for me, which I thought was the weakest of that Nolan trilogy. Yeah, the nitpicky stuff took me out of the film at times, too. Certainly a lot better than creeper Superman in Singer's film.

I'm curious on how this will fit within the Nolan films and future DCU films. For that, I would probably continue to watch.
Old 06-27-13, 07:49 PM
Banned

It doesn't fit within the Nolan-verse. Nolan's made that clear multiple times. They'll be rebooting Batman again, as well.
Old 06-27-13, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JJ Abrams has been mentioned as the likely director to reboot Batman.
Old 06-27-13, 09:26 PM
Cool New Member

This is one tough film. Parts of it are tremendous and he makes a great Superman but other parts are just flat. I enjoyed it quite a bit and even liked the opening even though I could have done with less over-the-top effects of tech you can't even begin to guess at.
Old 06-27-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Note to Warner Bros: we got a couple of ultra-dumbed-down Batman movies from Joel Schumacher. They were poorly received. J.J. is not your guy.
Old 06-27-13, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Newsflash: Man of Steel is still a dreadful, dreadful movie. Such a fucking shame.
Old 06-27-13, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'm curious on how this will fit within the Nolan films and future DCU films. For that, I would probably continue to watch.
It's already established that Nolan's Batman films exist in a separate continuity (or Earth, if you use the comic book approach to the diverging continuities) to that of Man of Steel. So the new Batman franchise may borrow certain aesthetic elements from the previous one but none of the events of the Nolan trilogy are canon.

I was surprised to read that they're not rebooting Green Lantern and instead moving forward with a Sinestro Corps themed sequel. That'll be awkward since apparently it will exist in the same continuity as MOS and supposedly Mark Strong is reported as Zack Snyder's first choice for Lex Luthor. Another rumour is that the series Arrow will be incorporated into the Justice League universe this new Superman movie is supposed to kickstart.
Old 06-27-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Note to Warner Bros: we got a couple of ultra-dumbed-down Batman movies from Joel Schumacher. They were poorly received. J.J. is not your guy.
Hmm, but JJ's Star Trek was smart, fun and inventive, plus a huge hit...they should probably disregard your note and go with a proven winner, no?
Old 06-27-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Michael Bay would be my first choice.
Old 06-27-13, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It's already established that Nolan's Batman films exist in a separate continuity (or Earth, if you use the comic book approach to the diverging continuities) to that of Man of Steel. So the new Batman franchise may borrow certain aesthetic elements from the previous one but none of the events of the Nolan trilogy are canon.

I was surprised to read that they're not rebooting Green Lantern and instead moving forward with a Sinestro Corps themed sequel. That'll be awkward since apparently it will exist in the same continuity as MOS and supposedly Mark Strong is reported as Zack Snyder's first choice for Lex Luthor. Another rumour is that the series Arrow will be incorporated into the Justice League universe this new Superman movie is supposed to kickstart.
I hope the fate of JLA doesn't come down to Lex Luthor.

I like all these elements being implemented if true. If there can be a live-action Shield series to spin off from Marvel's The Avengers, it's best to keep Green Arrow, which I hear is a good series (my sister, a huge fan of comic books in general, loves the show, and has amazing taste in general).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.