Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Great movies that depreciate in like over time?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-06-17, 09:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 958 Likes on 800 Posts

In your opinion of course, but what are some great movies you loved on first viewing, but has diminished much more on subsequent viewings?

Avengers...for me. Absolutely loved in theater. Had a freggin blast, but put it on again and was almost bored. With what's going on in the MCU now, this is diminishing in quality for me. Hate that to be so, but it is...

Giving Age of Ultron another try bc it wasn't too good on first viewing.

Iron Man still holds up however.
Old 05-06-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Great movies that depreciate in like over time?

A LOT of stuff from the 90s.
Old 05-06-17, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts

I got my ass kicked last time I said this on here, but I find The Godfather is beginning to age badly. The cheesy music and stock footage covering Tom's trip to Hollywood is particularly cringeworthy, as is the radio-play sounding over-the-top organ music that scores the baptism massacre sequence.
Old 05-06-17, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 867 Posts

The Phantom Menace ... Loved the first 15 seconds of it but it just kept diminishing as the time went by.
Old 05-06-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Rocky 4: I was a teenager when this came out in 1985 and it was made for the MTV generation. I actually thought it was better then the Original at the time. The movies is utterly laughable when I watch it today as it's the ultimate guilty pleasure movie.

Return of the Jedi: I friggin loved this movie as a kid (and thought Empire was too dark and didn't have an ending). I did a 180 on both of these films as Jedi has just not aged well with the exception of the Throne Room Scenes.

Happy Gilmore: I'm not the biggest Adam Sandler fan but found this movie very funny when I bought on VHS. Maybe it just years of Adam Sandler backlash and his sophomoric type of comedy, but Happy Gilmore is not remotely funny now except the Bob Barker part.
Old 05-06-17, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,498 Likes on 947 Posts

Charlie Chaplin movies. I thought they were great when I was a teenager. Now I find them schmaltzy. Except when the Little Tramp is living with a 12-year old girl, and then it's creepy.
Old 05-07-17, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I got my ass kicked last time I said this on here, but I find The Godfather is beginning to age badly. The cheesy music and stock footage covering Tom's trip to Hollywood is particularly cringeworthy, as is the radio-play sounding over-the-top organ music that scores the baptism massacre sequence.
Just saw it a few months ago and I think it holds up shockingly well and is still one of the Top 5 best movies I have ever seen.
Old 05-07-17, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Nightmare on Elm Street. Just the really bad horrible acting.
Old 05-07-17, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 405 Likes on 271 Posts

Most movies depreciate. When someone does something really original that becomes part of the zeitgeist, hundreds of films steal from it over years and years, and it becomes ingrained in film consciousness. Alien is never going to have the visceral impact it had in 1979 for someone who has been raised on a diet of films made in the aftermath of Alien.
Old 05-07-17, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

For me it's Pulp Fiction. Maybe because so many parts of it have been copied, tributed, parodied and referenced, but it's lost pretty much all of it's cool edginess.

And hardly the same caliber of film to begin with, but after thoroughly enjoying Avengers: Age of Ultron in the theater, repeated viewings have left me a bit less impressed.
Old 05-07-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ET. Loved it as a kid. Found it blah when it finally came to home video.
Old 05-07-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Most movies depreciate. When someone does something really original that becomes part of the zeitgeist, hundreds of films steal from it over years and years, and it becomes ingrained in film consciousness. Alien is never going to have the visceral impact it had in 1979 for someone who has been raised on a diet of films made in the aftermath of Alien.
Like most horror films like Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity and Saw. Though, Scream actually still holds up pretty well to me.
Old 05-07-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts

Many of the biggest, most popular summer blockbusters become a chore to sit through once their time have passed. Superficial, FX-driven movies usually don't have the depth to hold up under repeat viewings.

This applies more and more to Hollywood films starting in the 1990s, as they honed the formula down to a science with reboots and remakes.
Old 05-07-17, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 181 Likes on 114 Posts

Independence Day is the major one for me. Hard to sit through these days...
Old 05-07-17, 07:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 958 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Independence Day is the major one for me. Hard to sit through these days...
I felt same way when saw it recently. It was kinda boring and I was distracted throughout...
Old 05-08-17, 09:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Many of the biggest, most popular summer blockbusters become a chore to sit through once their time have passed. Superficial, FX-driven movies usually don't have the depth to hold up under repeat viewings.

This applies more and more to Hollywood films starting in the 1990s, as they honed the formula down to a science with reboots and remakes.
A lot of those 90s summer tent pole movies have held up well for me. I remember Crimson Tide kicking off one summer and I still love it today as much as when I was on the edge of my seat in the theater that year. Apollo 13, Braveheart, Twister, Pierce Bronson James Bond, Air Force One, Zorro, Blade, all hold up well, IMO. And Terminator 2 still looks amazing which is pretty incredible since the movie is approaching 30 years old.

Course maybe I'm just cherry picking. I would say Jurassic Park has aged bad with the wow factor gone and outdated tech. Also, the theme song has been so overplayed that I really don't care to hear it again.
Old 05-08-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen

I didn't get to that part, but I watched the opening section not too long ago to test a new player and the atmosphere and feel of that party still feel timeless (even though the setting is still very time specific).
Old 05-08-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Nightmare on Elm Street. Just the really bad horrible acting.
Yeah I watched it recently too. I didn't expect to be scared of it as an adult like I was as a kid but I thought it would at least hold up a little better than it did. It was not good at all.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Like most horror films like Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity and Saw. Though, Scream actually still holds up pretty well to me.
And yes, most horror movies don't hold up. It's the nature of the genre I suppose. Once a movie becomes popular the same 'scares' get used over and over in other movies to the point that it becomes cliche which in turn makes the original feel dated. Paranormal Activiy and Blair Witch definitely fall into this category.

I did rewatch Scream not too long ago and I agree that it manages to hold up pretty well. But, IMO, the horror movie that holds up the best is Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Old 05-08-17, 11:03 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

TExas Chainsaw holds up incredibly well. It's the sound that does it.

Nightmare on Elm Street is spectacular and holds up very well. Craven uses the dream structure of Bunuel and knocks it out of the park. And it is still genuinely scary. It has images that are fundamentally frightening. The bathtub scene and the stuff involving the body bag work every time.
Old 05-08-17, 11:53 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

This Thread is just
Old 05-08-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 164 Posts

Just about anything that was FX or action driven has difficulty holding up it seems. We watch early James Bond movies like Goldfinger and Thunderball and think the technology is outdated. My mom's generation, who grew up with those movies, still finds the technology pretty cool. The key to enjoying these these movies I've found is to try and put yourself into a mindset of the era in which they were made. Same holds for movies with FX work by Ray Harryhausen or any stop motion effort

FWIW, I think the FX of the first Jurassic Park still holds up rather well, especially when compared to some of the non-detailed work of today like Suicide Squad or the last two Matrix movies.
Old 05-08-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Just about anything that was FX or action driven has difficulty holding up it seems. .
I just think action movies don't hold up because none of them have interesting stories or any deep/relatable characters, so they are more 'at the moment' movies that end up being forgettable.

Movies like Star Wars, Jaws, and Planet of the Apes (1968) hold up because their stories and the characters still resonate with new movie goers. Just take any action movie of the last 20-30 years that ruled at the box office, and probably the only thing going for it at that time was the Special effects that wowed people.

Independence Day first comes to mind as I can't tell how many of my friends loved that movie in 1996 (it was marketed with blowing up the White House) and now they all look back and sort of laugh at the movie now. The reason? The characters are lame, and the story isn't that deep like 99% of action movies. Jaws still holds up today because Brody, Quinn, and Hooper are great characters.
Old 05-08-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts

That's why I tried to make a distinction in time. Most of the pre-1990 blockbusters were still story-driven affairs, which gave them a longer shelf life. Once Hollywood figured out audiences would pay for five action set pieces with flashy FX in their summer fare, well-written stories and characters were the first things to get tossed unless you had a Cameron or Spielberg directing.
Old 05-08-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts

Old 05-08-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There were a bunch that I would see in the theater, think they were great, then found I was bored with them at home. Thomas Crown Affair from 1999 was one such example.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.