Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

Old 10-15-23, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,229 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

Marty is right.

Some people are just not movie theater material. Stay home and wait for it to stream.
Old 10-15-23, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,468 Likes on 4,423 Posts
Re: Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

If you really don't want people to watch your movies at home, maybe stop making them for a streamer?
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Abob Teff (10-28-23), Dr. DVD (10-15-23)
Old 10-15-23, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,813 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
If you really don't want people to watch your movies at home, maybe stop making them for a streamer?
This movie couldn’t have been made without Apple money. And of course they want some exclusivity to their streaming service when it gets there.
Old 10-15-23, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,468 Likes on 4,423 Posts

Oh I am aware that's the story. Not sure if Marty really couldn't get this film made without streamer money, but regardless- I don't mind him making it for Apple, but I have no issues with those cinephiles who are waiting for it to come soon to Apple TV+ either.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (10-15-23)
Old 10-20-23, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Saw it yesterday. It didn’t need to be that long. It’s a slog.
Old 10-20-23, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Saw it yesterday. It didn’t need to be that long. It’s a slog.
I saw it yesterday in IMAX (Regal LieMAX). Yeah it is longer than it needed to be. I don't know if I would call it a slog since I was entertained through the whole thing. I made it through without needing a bathroom break. It is a story that needs to be told (at least I didn't know about it prior).
Old 10-20-23, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 335 Likes on 251 Posts

This is a good movie, but it falls short of being a great one on several different levels. For one, as others have noted here - it doesn't need to be three and a half hours long. They could have easily edited an hour out of this thing with no real affect on the story. I disagree with some other critics out there who say that the movie doesn't "feel" three hours long...it sure felt long to me. That said, it's NOT dull. All the scenes are pretty interesting - I'm just not sure they all needed to be there.

I also think the film fails big time in its final scene. I won't spoil it, but Scorsese finds a way to avoid the "screen text" method of telling the audience what happened in the lives of the major characters we've seen. The problem is that it comes off as a little too "cute" after three-plus hours of a very serious drama. I feel it's something the film is likely to get mocked about in the years to come.

All in all though, a good film with some great performances - if you think you can sit that long in a theater, I'd recommend seeing it there as opposed to waiting for streaming. That said, I think Oppenheimer is still this year's "epic" to beat.
Old 10-20-23, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ll say this. That bass has stuck with me. Have been hearing it off and on all day.
Old 10-22-23, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Watched it last night and it's a masterpiece. Didn't even get up to take a piss once. I did have some drinks beforehand at my spot before heading over to the theater and had taken a leak at the restaurant.
Dr. DVD (10-22-23)
Old 10-22-23, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,344 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Watched it last night and it's a masterpiece. Didn't even get up to take a piss once. I did have some drinks beforehand at my spot before heading over to the theater and had taken a leak at the restaurant.
They should put that blurb on the Blu-Ray/4K cover.

“Best film of the year!”

”One of Scorsese’s best”

”Didn’t even get up to take a piss once”
The following 7 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Ash Ketchum (10-22-23), Dr. DVD (10-22-23), nasesco417 (10-23-23), Shannon Nutt (10-26-23), Spiderbite (10-25-23), story (10-22-23), Why So Blu? (10-22-23) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-22-23, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Excellent. Scorsese is still making great movies.

All the popcorn gave me a nice hard poop afterwards. Barely had to wipe.
Old 10-22-23, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Excellent. Scorsese is still making great movies.

All the popcorn gave me a nice hard poop afterwards. Barely had to wipe.

That should definitely be a blurb.

Caught this yesterday and I am still processing the experience. I agree that it is a masterpiece from Scorsese, even though it is not my favorite Scorsese movie on a personal level, as that will always be Goodfellas. I will also say that this is very much in the vein of movies like Schindler's List and 12 Years a Slave where one viewing is all I really want, despite how masterful the technique.

Did anyone else's screening have a pre-movie message from Scorsese thanking the audience for coming to a theater? I felt that was a nice touch, especially when it got bookended by
Spoiler:
Scorsese's appearance in the epilogue.
Old 10-22-23, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had the intro as well.
Old 10-22-23, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This is a good movie, but it falls short of being a great one on several different levels. For one, as others have noted here - it doesn't need to be three and a half hours long. They could have easily edited an hour out of this thing with no real affect on the story. I disagree with some other critics out there who say that the movie doesn't "feel" three hours long...it sure felt long to me. That said, it's NOT dull. All the scenes are pretty interesting - I'm just not sure they all needed to be there.

I also think the film fails big time in its final scene. I won't spoil it, but Scorsese finds a way to avoid the "screen text" method of telling the audience what happened in the lives of the major characters we've seen. The problem is that it comes off as a little too "cute" after three-plus hours of a very serious drama. I feel it's something the film is likely to get mocked about in the years to come.

All in all though, a good film with some great performances - if you think you can sit that long in a theater, I'd recommend seeing it there as opposed to waiting for streaming. That said, I think Oppenheimer is still this year's "epic" to beat.

I actually think the part you found as failing big time quite genius and don't see it getting mocked at all. I don't think it came across as cute at all, but more of an interesting commentary on how we treat history. But yeah, Oppenheimer is better.
Shannon Nutt (10-26-23)
Old 10-23-23, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
That should definitely be a blurb.

Caught this yesterday and I am still processing the experience. I agree that it is a masterpiece from Scorsese, even though it is not my favorite Scorsese movie on a personal level, as that will always be Goodfellas. I will also say that this is very much in the vein of movies like Schindler's List and 12 Years a Slave where one viewing is all I really want, despite how masterful the technique.

Did anyone else's screening have a pre-movie message from Scorsese thanking the audience for coming to a theater? I felt that was a nice touch, especially when it got bookended by
Spoiler:
Scorsese's appearance in the epilogue.

Yes, we had an intro by Scorses at our screening. Saw it in Dolby Cinema.
Old 10-23-23, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I actually think the part you found as failing big time quite genius and don't see it getting mocked at all. I don't think it came across as cute at all, but more of an interesting commentary on how we treat history. But yeah, Oppenheimer is better.

I loved Oppenheimer, but it's an afterthought compared to this one. Openn who? We'll see if Napoleon will knock it out of the park next month.
Old 10-23-23, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed it, but thought it could have been edited down a little. My biggest issue as a reader of the book was the movie let on who were involved in the murders way too soon IMHO. It would have been so much better to drag it out a little longer for a more powerful reveal later on in the film.
Old 10-25-23, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I loved Oppenheimer, but it's an afterthought compared to this one. Openn who? We'll see if Napoleon will knock it out of the park next month.
Napoleon is another Apple financed production, so I too am curious how that one will do before heading to streaming.
Old 10-25-23, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Hope Napoleon is good just for the inevitable Marty / Scott / Nolan Oscar showdown.
Old 10-25-23, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ketamine
My biggest issue as a reader of the book was the movie let on who were involved in the murders way too soon IMHO. It would have been so much better to drag it out a little longer for a more powerful reveal later on in the film.
Feel like that would have helped a lot. Having it all pretty much laid out during the first 5% of the film made the back half drag a lot more for me.
Ketamine (10-26-23)
Old 10-25-23, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Hope Napoleon is good just for the inevitable Marty / Scott / Nolan Oscar showdown.

The problem with Ridley Scott movies is they all look good, but if the script is lacking they don't have much more going for them other than visuals. I'm getting those vibes from Napoleon.
Old 10-27-23, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,813 Likes on 2,734 Posts

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/k...73e828aa12daf1

Some theaters, mostly in Europe, are inserting 6 to 15 minute intermissions and getting into trouble with the studio.
Old 10-27-23, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My buddy who retired and now lives in Bangkok got his tickets for this at some theater there that actually has beds in the auditorium. He's taking a broad. It's called "The Bed Cinema."
Crocker Jarmen (11-09-23)
Old 10-30-23, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,063 Likes on 742 Posts

I'm generally kind of lukewarm on Scorsese (I think I like the idea of Scorsese films more than I actually like them), but this was astonishing. It's a tough sit for sure; not so much because of its length, but rather the content. It's brutal, but without a lot of the window dressing that make earlier Scorsese crime epics feel so "fun". I will say that the movie is quite funny at times, so it's not completely dour, but ultimately it is devastating. Minimizing the the mystery/procedural aspects of the story and the movie instead laying its cards on the table for all to see fairly early on and focusing its attention on DiCaprio and the complicated and confounding relationship with his wife was a bold choice. It's easy to see what that other movie would have been (and it may have been great), but what we got is more interesting and far more devastating (there's that word again). I thought Lily Gladstone was spectacular and I was riveted pretty much anytime she and Leo were on screen together. If I have any nitpicks it's that Gladstone is so great early on, but is mostly sidelined for a long stretch in the middle. The plot obviously hinges on this fact, but I still missed the much more vibrant Mollie of the first hour or so. As for the ending, it was a little jarring at first, but the more I think about it, the more it totally works on a thematic level. It's definitely a choice, but at this stage of the game I'd much rather see Scorsese "make a choice" than just reheating and rehashing Goodfellas.

Only thing I'll add is that (and this is usually my advice) is go see this in a theater. While I was never bored, you do feel the runtime. I can almost guarantee that had I watched this at home, I would have paused and taken a break and maybe have even watched it over the course of 2 or 3 nights. But I think the film's sustained monotony is part of the point. And when I say monotony, I don't mean boring, but rather prolonged sameness. You increasingly become equal parts numb and outraged at the systematic evils being perpetrated over the course of 3+ hours. When events finally culminate in the sick joke of an ending, it's one final punch to the gut that I feel would be lessened considerably by not being forced to sit with this for its full runtime.
story (10-30-23)
Old 11-02-23, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 110 Posts

Is this on Apple late November?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.