Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

Old 10-12-23, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 984 Likes on 713 Posts
Re: Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

Does Scorsese want us to give his movie the same amount of attention we give TV shows when we binge a few hours? Cause a lot of that time is spent on my phone or playing Switch. Can I do that in the theater?
The following users liked this post:
BuckNaked2k (10-29-23)
Old 10-12-23, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts
Re: Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

Originally Posted by DJariya
For all you old farts who complain about long running times.
Not me. I love a long movie that goes on tangents to add perspective and depth to the characters and story.
Old 10-12-23, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 867 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
It's never been about the running time, it's about uncomfortable theatre seats. I'm glad more and more theatres are converting to having those big couch-like recliner seats, but right now, most of my area theatres still have those pull-down, tiny, hard seats. There is only a limited amount of time I can sit in those before I am in uncomfortable pain (about 1 hour 40 minutes BTW, other people, of course, will vary). I'm not interested in a viewing experience where I'm spending the last hour waiting for it to be over so I can find some relief.

I have trouble believing filmmakers are so obtuse they really think watching hours of TV at home is comparable to watching those same hours in a movie theatre.
Let's not forget bathroom breaks. You can miss a good 15+ minutes of the movie in a theatre when you need a bio-break.

Another reason why my home theatre (as basic as it is) is a much better movie experience than any theatre on the planet - and why I will no longer step foot in a movie theatre ever again.
Dr. DVD (10-15-23)
Old 10-12-23, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
It's never been about the running time, it's about uncomfortable theatre seats. I'm glad more and more theatres are converting to having those big couch-like recliner seats, but right now, most of my area theatres still have those pull-down, tiny, hard seats. There is only a limited amount of time I can sit in those before I am in uncomfortable pain (about 1 hour 40 minutes BTW, other people, of course, will vary). I'm not interested in a viewing experience where I'm spending the last hour waiting for it to be over so I can find some relief.

I have trouble believing filmmakers are so obtuse they really think watching hours of TV at home is comparable to watching those same hours in a movie theatre.
Youíre in Canada right? Do you not have a theater that has a recliner seat near you that you can watch this on? I understand a 3 1/2 hour movie like this plus trailers might top 4 hours and you need to be comfortable. I was in Vancouver a year ago and went to a Cineplex theater and they had recliners.
Old 10-12-23, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk God

I might have to wait a week to see this. I can’t see this on the weekend it opens because of some early work shifts and then I’m leaving the country for a vacation. But I do want to see this on the big screen.

Christy and Alonso from Breakfast All Day saw a press screening today and loved it.

Old 10-12-23, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

Youíre in Canada right? Do you not have a theater that has a recliner seat near you that you can watch this on? I understand a 3 1/2 hour movie like this plus trailers might top 4 hours and you need to be comfortable. I was in Vancouver a year ago and went to a Cineplex theater and they had recliners.
Yes, I'm fortunate that there's a local Landmark Theatre where all the auditoriums have the big comfy, recliners. I often see two movies there back-to-back it's so great.
I gave up on the Cineplex in Niagara Falls because their seats are shit, as are the seats at the downtown theatre, which sucks because they get all the indie and foreign films. I had to suck it up and go there for Beau Is Afraid and as much as I enjoyed the movie, I feel like I was cheated out of a proper viewing experience because of the cramped, hard seats.
DJariya (10-12-23)
Old 10-14-23, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Personally a comfy reclining seat is a guarantee nap for me. Lol
DeanoBKN (10-20-23)
Old 10-14-23, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,348 Likes on 4,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Let's not forget bathroom breaks. You can miss a good 15+ minutes of the movie in a theatre when you need a bio-break.
Yikes. Go see a urologist ASAP.
DJariya (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Yikes. Go see a urologist ASAP.
The 15 minutes includes the time it takes to get to the theatre restroom and back. Plus urination isn't the only thing a restroom is needed for.
Old 10-14-23, 02:09 PM

If you can't make it through a 3 hour movie without urgently needing to evacuate your bowels, you should make it a gastroenterologist visit instead.
Old 10-14-23, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

This ridiculous forum sometimes

A new well reviewed movie from one of the greatest directors in film history and we’re talking about some here forecasting not making it and needing to take a long shit or piss.
Hazel Motes (10-15-23)
Old 10-14-23, 02:22 PM

This ridiculous forum sometimes

A new well reviewed movie from one of the greatest directors in film history and weíre talking about some here forecasting not making it and needing to take a long shit or piss.
This you?
Yeah I got my ticket ready for a 6pm IMAX show on Friday. I saw they are giving out a small poster. I think it's the same image that is used in all the press material for this movie. Not sure if I really want the popcorn bucket and cup. I don't want to get a soda and need to pee in the middle of this since it's going to be super crowded. I hate getting up in the middle of a sold out showing.
​​​​​​​
Old 10-14-23, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

This you?
Yeah I said that. But I didn’t leave my seat once last night. And it was 2 hours and 48 minutes.
Old 10-14-23, 02:27 PM

Yeah I said that. But I didnít leave my seat once.
Good on you. I took a pee break during "Enchanted", but made it back before the end of the song.
DJariya (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

It certainly helped that it was an energetic theatrical experience.

I’ll see this in the next week or so, but I’ll make sure to not over consume any liquids ahead of time.
Old 10-14-23, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you can't make it through a 3 hour movie without urgently needing to evacuate your bowels, you should make it a gastroenterologist visit instead.
You do realize not everybody has the same bathroom schedule, right? I can go 3 hours without a bio-break break - but I can't predict when those 3 hours will be. The longer the movie/event/whatever is, the increased odds of being interrupted by a bio-break. And what makes you think I haven't already seen a gastroenterologist?
Oh, here's another thing that plays a factor - I can't sit for long periods of time as my back gets soar and my legs sometimes gets uncomfortable. Which is why I have a sit/stand desk for work, and one of the reasons why I pause movies - so I can get up and stretch my legs and back. Let's try that in a movie theatre every 20 minutes or so - that'll go over well.

Scorsese is a fucking moron for not understanding that many people can't just easily sit through 3 hours of anything straight through. He compares bingeing TV shows - but the does the idiot understand that each episode usually don't go longer than an hour and that in between each episode is a great time for a break? Life gets in the way, so we work TV/movie around our lives - not the other way around. Movies may be his life, but assuming everyone else makes it their priority is ridiculous. I bet he also wonders why everyone doesn't just stop being poor.

Old 10-14-23, 03:54 PM

That is fair. Donít mean to make fun of you. Just the 15 min bathroom breaks struck me as an exaggeration.

But yeah, I do wonder how out of touch Marty is these days. I think he was stunned and disappointed in the collective shrug the public game to The Irishman and it jaded him.
Old 10-14-23, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 571 Likes on 356 Posts

Not sure about the time complaints and needing to run to the restroom. You have a theater full of soda cups and popcorn tubs.
Old 10-14-23, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts

This has been getting tons of positive social media buzz. Seems like it moves fast and is highly entertaining, similar to Wolf of Wall Street. I have high hopes for its box office.
Old 10-14-23, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,274 Likes on 2,104 Posts

Marty is 80 years old now. I think he needs to test the theater experience by sitting through a showing himself. Then weíll try it.
Old 10-14-23, 05:32 PM

Received 4,678 Likes on 3,168 Posts

I sometimes forget how old some of the posters on this forum are. Threads like this are a reminder.
DJariya (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 996 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Scorsese is a fucking moron for not understanding that many people can't just easily sit through 3 hours of anything straight through. He compares bingeing TV shows - but the does the idiot understand that each episode usually don't go longer than an hour and that in between each episode is a great time for a break? Life gets in the way, so we work TV/movie around our lives - not the other way around. Movies may be his life, but assuming everyone else makes it their priority is ridiculous. I bet he also wonders why everyone doesn't just stop being poor.
I don't think Scorsese's comments have anything to do with people who need a bathroom break or struggle with physical limitations that make it hard to sit that long. Those people have always existed throughout the history of the movies. That's a completely separate issue and not really his point. Scorsese's frustration is with audiences' unwillingness to engage with something in a focused manner for an extended period and use runtime as an excuse. There are lots of people, like my wife, who will not sit through a long movie but are happy to binge tv for hours because it's more easily digestible "content". It's a problem that has just gotten worse and worse in recent years and it's probably not going to get any better in the few years Scorsese has left.
Why So Blu? (10-15-23)
Old 10-14-23, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,274 Likes on 2,104 Posts

^ Agreed. And although I watched it at home, I managed to make it through The Irishman in one sitting even though I had originally planned to split it up over two nights. I imagine Iíll make it through KotFM in one sitting as well.
Old 10-15-23, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 402 Likes on 269 Posts

Sounds like some people in this thread need the equivalent of the Mommy and me theater experience where Moms can bring their young children to the theater without fear of them crying or being noisy. Theaters should offer a 90 minute Coles notes version for people who would otherwise piss their pants in their seat.
Old 10-15-23, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

While I respect Scorsese, add me to the list of those who find his comments a little off base. I'm going to try and see this next weekend at a theater that has the comfy reclining sofa seats but I'm only going because I have some movie pass type credits built up that I need to use. Otherwise, I would be happy to wait for streaming. I have read the source material and am curious how this will work, but I still haven't completed The Irishman and if this one has similar pacing, I may have to bring along my CPAP machine.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.