Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

Old 04-18-23, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
re: Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

Apparently it’s 3 1/2 hours long:
https://deadline.com/2023/04/killers...io-1235329903/

😳😫
Old 04-18-23, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,617 Likes on 2,596 Posts
re: Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

3 hours and 26 minutes

For the bladder weary it goes from a theatrical to "I'll wait until it hits Apple TV +, so I can hit pause and take a leak"
The following users liked this post:
sleepyhead55 (04-18-23)
Old 04-18-23, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 835 Likes on 583 Posts

Let's all chip in and get Scorsese an editor for his birthday.
Old 04-18-23, 07:17 PM

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Let's all chip in and get Scorsese an editor for his birthday.
Thelma Schoonmaker is still his editor. 8 Oscar nominations, 3 wins, 7 of them for Marty's movies, even the longishly long The Irishman.
Old 04-18-23, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story
Thelma Schoonmaker is still his editor. 8 Oscar nominations, 3 wins, 7 of them for Marty's movies, even the longishly long The Irishman.
That would be pretty impressive if the Oscars actually meant something.
Hubbub (05-16-23)
Old 04-18-23, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,617 Likes on 2,596 Posts

Yeah Yeah we know you despise award shows. But being an Academy award winning or nominated editor actually means something in the movie business. And it adds credibility to their resume and they'll get hired on a lot of A-list projects. A good editor in the movie business is a renowned profession. You don't just hire any film school grad who knows Final Cut pro. It takes years to be good at it.
Old 04-18-23, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah Yeah we know you despise award shows. But being an Academy award winning or nominated editor actually means something in the movie business. And it adds credibility to their resume and they'll get hired on a lot of A-list projects. A good editor in the movie business is a renowned profession. You don't just hire any film school grad who knows Final Cut pro. It takes years to be good at it.
I haven't seen a Scorsese film in his last 10 films that couldn't use around 25-30 minutes cut from it. A film only needs to be as long as it deserves to be.
Old 04-19-23, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Yeah, Marty loves the streamers. Been waiting a long time to be able to just let his movies run at whatever ridiculous length.

I liked The Irishman, but I still haven’t seen it very many times because its just too damn long.
Dr. DVD (05-17-23)
Old 05-16-23, 07:50 AM

Received 4,547 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Good interview with Scorsese:

Martin Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio & Robert De Niro On How They Found The Emotional Handle For Their Cannes Epic ‘Killers Of The Flower Moon’
https://deadline.com/2023/05/martin-...ro-1235359006/
Old 05-18-23, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,018 Likes on 809 Posts

Gangs of Oklahoma, looks pretty good.
Old 05-18-23, 10:07 AM

Looking forward to hearing the buzz on this Saturday after it screens at Cannes.
Old 05-18-23, 10:17 AM

Re: Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

Looks great, but hearing Leo attempt that midwestern accent/drawl throughout the trailer is pretty embarrassing.

Shannon Nutt (05-18-23)
Old 05-18-23, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts
Re: Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, D: Scorsese) S: DiCaprio, De Niro, Gladstone, Plemons

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Looks great, but hearing Leo attempt that midwestern accent/drawl throughout the trailer is pretty embarrassing.

Then you may want to skip it altogether since that's how he's going to sound in the entire film.
Shannon Nutt (05-18-23)
Old 05-18-23, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Then you may want to skip it altogether since that's how he's going to sound in the entire film.
I am hoping it just sounded that terrible because it was mostly narration in the trailer.

Sounded like Leonardo DiCaprio trying really hard to sound like he is southern or something.

I assume the general dialogue won’t sound that bad.
Old 05-18-23, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I am hoping it just sounded that terrible because it was mostly narration in the trailer.

Sounded like Leonardo DiCaprio trying really hard to sound like he is southern or something.

I assume the general dialogue won’t sound that bad.
He's also wearing some fake buck teeth.
Old 05-18-23, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Looks amazing. Also I’ve never had a problem with the length of any Scorsese film. I could have watched another hour of Wolf of Wall Street.
Nesbit (05-20-23)
Old 05-18-23, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just checked out the book it's based on from the library.
Old 05-18-23, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what happens when the director has a hard-on for a particular actor and wants to cast him in almost everything despite not being right for the role.
Old 05-19-23, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 155 Posts

As someone who has read the book, I can say that this is a true teaser.
Spoiler:
DiCaprio may have more screen time than his book counterpart, but he isn't the lead character. He's actually one of the "wolves".
I know that was probably mentioned earlier in the thread, but can still be a spoiler if you haven't read the book.
Old 05-19-23, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
As someone who has read the book, I can say that this is a true teaser.
Spoiler:
DiCaprio may have more screen time than his book counterpart, but he isn't the lead character. He's actually one of the "wolves".

I know that was probably mentioned earlier in the thread, but can still be a spoiler if you haven't read the book.
If you check out the interview I posted a few posts back, they've changed things up a bit. Here's part of it.

So, Scorsese started over, seizing on the chance to tell a story that would resonate in a modern era, forcing audiences to confront their own darkest instincts: how far would they be willing to go for the love of money? The lightbulb moment came when DiCaprio wondered if the focus should not be the lawman but rather one of his suspects: Ernest Burkhart. Burkhart is apparently a loving husband, married to Osage tribe member Mollie, and they have three children together. Mollie is at death’s door when Tom White — now to be played by Jesse Plemons — arrives. Is Ernest just in it for the money?

This much darker take and much more expensive take reportedly led Paramount to back out as financier. But to Apple heads of Worldwide Video Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht, this had the potential to be an important historical epic, a beachhead project for their fledgling film program. They went out and got the package, just the way they did at Sundance with CODA, which went on to become the first Best Picture Oscar winner for a streamer. The deal orchestrated by Scorsese and DiCaprio’s rep Rick Yorn left room for Paramount, which had certain rights. The deal called for a full global theatrical release through Paramount, before it lands on the Apple TV+ streaming site in the heart of awards season.

Despite the radical change of angle, De Niro, marking his 10th collaboration with Scorsese, held on to the role of Bill Hale. He is Ernest’s uncle, who presents himself as a loving patriarch and ally to members of the Osage, but who enlists his nephew in a nefarious plan to help fulfill his darker motives. “I’d read the book a few years earlier and the Tom White character was more prominent,” he says, “That was right for the book, but Marty and Leo’s idea to focus on the relationship between Bill and Ernest made sense to me. They wanted to focus more on that dynamic instead of Tom White coming in and saving the day.”

That shift makes it a much more personal story, De Niro explains, one that fleshes out the story to ground an exploration of human nature, weakness and greed. “It made the most sense to show what’s going on in that world, the dynamic between the nephew and the uncle,” says De Niro. “I don’t know if you would call it the banality of evil, or just evil, corrupt entitlement, but we’ve seen it in other societies, including the Nazis before WWII. That is, a depressing realization of human nature that leaves people capable of doing terrible things. [Hale] believed he loved them, and felt they loved him. But within that, he felt he had the right to behave the way he did.”
Old 05-19-23, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 155 Posts

That could be an interesting approach. Kind of gives DiCaprio's character a Henry Hill vibe.
Old 05-20-23, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 277 Likes on 178 Posts

Looks real good
Old 05-20-23, 04:02 PM

Reviews from Cannes coming in: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kil...ometer-reviews
Old 05-20-23, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,092 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The thing is, if your profession is in filmmaking, whether in front of or behind the camera, and you have won an Oscar, that's almost guaranteed to be in the first line of your obituary. So, I don't know what profession you have devoted your life to, but if you ever receive some recognition for your work, I hope there is someone standing there to tell you it does not mean anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
Dr. DVD (05-22-23), story (05-20-23)
Old 07-05-23, 08:23 AM

Based on a true American Story. Killers of the Flower Moon, in theaters October.

At the turn of the 20th century, oil brought a fortune to the Osage Nation, who became some of the richest people in the world overnight. The wealth of these Native Americans immediately attracted white interlopers, who manipulated, extorted, and stole as much Osage money as they could before resorting to murder. Based on a true story and told through the improbable romance of Ernest Burkhart (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Mollie Kyle (Lily Gladstone), “Killers of the Flower Moon” is an epic western crime saga, where real love crosses paths with unspeakable betrayal. Also starring Robert De Niro, Jesse Plemons, John Lithgow, Brendan Fraser, Tantoo Cardinal, Cara Jade Myers, JaNae Collins, and Jillian Dion, Killers of the Flower Moon is directed by Academy Award winner Martin Scorsese from a screenplay by Eric Roth and Scorsese, based on David Grann’s best-selling book.

Hailing from Apple Studios, Killers of the Flower Moon was produced alongside Imperative Entertainment, Sikelia Productions and Appian Way. Producers are Scorsese, Dan Friedkin, Bradley Thomas and Daniel Lupi, with DiCaprio, Rick Yorn, Adam Somner, Marianne Bower, Lisa Frechette, John Atwood, Shea Kammer and Niels Juul serving as executive producers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.