Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Future Star Wars projects discussion thread - news, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Rob V
Anybody here watch Mike Zeroh's content on Youtube? He has a lot of interesting stuff about the SW movies upcoming and if his rumors are to be believed, it could be a really cool future. That said, i don't know if the guy is totally crazy or has an insider; he spews a LOT of potential spoilers.
I’ve seen him in the past and have been watching his stuff more frequently as of late. I find his channel one of the more interesting ones for Star Wars news. I haven’t followed him enough to know if things he’s said in the past have actually panned out or not. A lot of it seems like personal theories that he’s just throwing out.
Old 09-25-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Hopefully not directed by Rian Johnson.
That'd be a shame - he made the best SW movie since the OT.
Old 09-25-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
That'd be a shame - he made the best SW movie since the OT.
He didn't direct Rogue One.
Old 09-25-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V
He didn't direct Rogue One.
I’m well aware!
Old 09-25-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
He can direct it, as long as he’s kept on a short leash and gets zero story input. The dumbfuck isn’t fit to write a beer commercial.
I’ll say this. As much as I dislike The Last Jedi I do like Johnson’s other films (Brick and Looper). He just made a shit Star Wars movie.
Old 09-25-18, 02:36 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

A good movie is a good movie is a good movie. This “not a good Star Wars movie” crap is pure rubbish.
Old 09-25-18, 02:40 PM

I’m well aware!
And it’s better than Rogue One. I can’t even name more than one original character’s name from RO off the top of my head, and I’ve seen it at least three times.
Old 09-25-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack
A good movie is a good movie is a good movie. This “not a good Star Wars movie” crap is pure rubbish.
Disagreed. Certain things are genre specific in how I view a well made film. Not everything that makes a film good in one genre will translate to a good film in a different genre.
Old 09-25-18, 02:56 PM

Star Wars is now a genre?

Whaaaaat?
Old 09-25-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Wars is now a genre?

Whaaaaat?
Not what I meant. It fits in the sci-fi/adventure genre. I look for certain traits in that genre as opposed to comedy or horror.

And it’s better than Rogue One. I can’t even name more than one original character’s name from RO off the top of my head, and I’ve seen it at least three times.
Really? I can name all the main heroes pretty easily. I don’t know if I’d go as far as saying it’s the best since the Original Trilogy but it is pretty good.
Old 09-25-18, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
Not what I meant. It fits in the sci-fi/adventure genre. I look for certain traits in that genre as opposed to comedy or horror.
So what sci-fi/adventure traits are lacking? Just curious what that means?

I think you mean franchise traits? Is that saying James Bond would suck without a title song sequence, or a Bond Girl, or a white actor playing Bond? Because that kinda sounds like a rigid way of thinking about a franchise, or even a continuing saga like Star Wars.
Old 09-25-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So what sci-fi/adventure traits are lacking? Just curious what that means?

I think you mean franchise traits? Is that saying James Bond would suck without a title song sequence, or a Bond Girl, or a white actor playing Bond? Because that kinda sounds like a rigid way of thinking about a franchise, or even a continuing saga like Star Wars.
I don’t really feel like getting into a whole thing about this again. I’ve given reasons in the main thread for the film. I guess in the case of The Last Jedi it’s not so much that it’s lacking anything it’s just that it plays with certain tropes that I and others have come to associate with Star Wars in a way that doesn’t resonate with me.
Old 09-25-18, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don’t really feel like getting into a whole thing about this again. I’ve given reasons in the main thread for the film. I guess in the case of The Last Jedi it’s not so much that it’s lacking anything it’s just that it plays with certain tropes that I and others have come to associate with Star Wars in a way that doesn’t resonate with me.
It turns what a lot of people think what Star Wars should be on its head.

I don’t think a particular genre or franchise movie should be anything. As long as film is entertaining and sticks to its guns, more power to it.

Not saying I’m right and you’re wrong, just explaining my approach to film enjoyment.
Old 09-25-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It turns what a lot of people think what Star Wars should be on its head.

I don’t think a particular genre or franchise movie should be anything. As long as film is entertaining and sticks to its guns, more power to it.

Not saying I’m right and you’re wrong, just explaining my approach to film enjoyment.
That’s fair. At least you don’t tell me I’m wrong and press me (and others) for answers like some here do.
Old 09-25-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I don’t think a particular genre or franchise movie should be anything...
For genres, there are some very general rules...

A horror film should be scary, or at least try and be scary. A fantasy film should have some magic of some sort in it. A sci-fi film should have some scientific trappings for the magic in it. A mystery movie should have a mystery in it. A comedy should be funny, a drama should be dramatic, a thriller should be thrilling, etc. However, for the most parts, genres are descriptive, not prescriptive. That is, after a film is made, people put it into specific genre holes, vs starting with the genre and making a film to fit it.

For a franchise, I'm not sure any specific rules are anything but restrictive. Also, what some consider "features" of a franchise may just be something that's always been there because nobody's tried anything different yet. For example, all the Star Wars films featured a Jedi until Rogue One.
Old 09-25-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree. The Last Jedi is not a good movie. Period. No matter what genre you may want to put it in. Sub-par acting by several actors and a weak script that features doses of childish humor, an illogical and muddled narrative, and sequences and characters which do not support or move the narrative forward...but very nice special effects.
Old 09-25-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Franchot
I agree. The Last Jedi is not a good movie. Period. No matter what genre you may want to put it in. Sub-par acting by several actors and a weak script that features doses of childish humor, an illogical and muddled narrative, and sequences and characters which do not support or move the narrative forward...but very nice special effects.
Naw, now you're confusing it with the PT.
Old 09-25-18, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Naw, now you're confusing it with the PT.
No, I'm quite clear that TLJ is in the ranks of poor movies which include the PT also. Just different levels of poorness to me.

But what's the latest news on Episode IX?
Old 09-25-18, 05:14 PM

Ian McDiarmid gave the only good acting performance in the prequel trilogy, or even portraying a character that was well written. Period.
Old 09-25-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ian McDiarmid gave the only good acting performance in the prequel trilogy, or even portraying a character that was well written. Period.
Ewan McGregor begs to differ.
Old 09-25-18, 06:34 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

This isn’t a thread for TLJ or past films. It’s about potential future films. Don’t taffer this up please.
Old 09-25-18, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Every online Star Wars discussion turns into a free-for-all.

It’s been that way for two decades.
Old 09-26-18, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

god the TLJ discussion has been talked to infinity and beyond
Old 09-28-18, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-years-1147653

After the box office disappointment of 'Solo: A Star Wars Story,' the studio plans to expand the universe with new characters introduced in movies and television shows.
Kathleen Kennedy has reignited her lightsaber. The lead producer and architect of the Star Wars franchise has renewed her contract to remain president of Lucasfilm for another three years, through 2021, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The move is a vote of confidence in Kennedy, who took command of Lucasfilm after Disney’s $4 billion acquisition from George Lucas in 2012 and has overseen the relaunch of Star Wars, one of the most revered movie properties in cinematic history. Disney's four new Star Wars films have grossed almost $4.5 billion at the worldwide box office. Ancillary and merchandising have brought billions more into the studio's coffers.

But it hasn’t always been easy money. Kennedy has had to replace directors on two movies that were either in production or post-. Chris Lord and Phil Miller were fired from Solo: A Star Wars Story on June 20, 2017, less than a year before the film's release. Kennedy also effectively replaced Rogue One: A Star Wars Story director Gareth Edwards with helmer Tony Gilroy, though Edwards kept his directing credit. Last year, Colin Trevorrow, who was to have directed Star Wars: Episode IX, was fired and replaced with the series' Episode VII helmer, J.J. Abrams, a week later.

Kennedy’s position is one of the most visible, and her actions the most highly scrutinized, in Hollywood due to the immense popularity of Lucasfilm’s franchises, which also include Indiana Jones. So it's notable that her renewal follows this summer's Solo: A Star Wars Story, the first big-screen box office disappointment for the franchise, grossing "only" $392 million worldwide and leading analysts to estimate a loss for the film at $50 million to $80 million or more. (In contrast, 2017's The Last Jedi and 2016's Rogue One grossed $1 billion globally, and 2015's The Force Awakens topped $2 billion in receipts.)

Kennedy's deal extension also follows a polarizing reaction to Last Jedi — which sits at 91 percent fresh on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes but was flooded with unusually angry fan complaints on social media about key plot choices. The reaction to Last Jedi and Solo is resulting in a shift in studio strategy, with Disney making plans to slow the output of movies. "You can expect some slowdown," Disney CEO Bob Iger told THR in an interview published on Sept. 20, adding, "but that doesn't mean we're not going to make films."

The only Star Wars film currently underway is Episode IX, currently shooting in London, and due for release Dec. 20, 2019. Sources tell THR that Episode IX will be the last of the "chapter" installments, with Disney planning on touting it as a selling point in the promotion campaign for the film in the year leading up to its release. Lucasfilm is developing feature projects from Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, as well as a potential trilogy from Rian Johnson, the filmmaker behind Last Jedi. Johnson, however, is currently prepping to shoot a detective thriller that is to star Daniel Craig.

Sources say that the near future of Star Wars lies in television with Kennedy-led Lucasfilm planning on expanding the universe with new characters in that medium. The shows at this stage include a live-action series run by Jon Favreau (which is currently casting) and the animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars, both of which will air on Disney’s untitled streaming service, which is set to launch in the second half of 2019. Meanwhile, another animated series, Star Wars Resistance, premieres this month on The Disney Channel.

Lucasfilm is also developing a new Indiana Jones movie, the fifth in a series starring Harrison Ford and directed by Spielberg, but that project recently saw its release date push from July 10, 2020, to July 9, 2021. Script issues were the cause. The last Jones movie, 2008's The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, grossed $786 million worldwide, adjusted for inflation.

Kennedy got her first breaks working as an assistant to writer John Milius and then Steven Spielberg, becoming a co-founder of Amblin Entertainment. She has established one of the most enviable producing careers in Hollywood, with credits on classic blockbusters like E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Back to the Future and Jurassic Park as well as critically acclaimed Spielberg dramas like Schindler's List, Munich, War Horse and Lincoln.

In September, she was named as a recipient, along with husband, producer Frank Marshall, of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Irving G. Thalberg Award for a "body of work reflect a consistently high quality of motion picture production.” She will receive the honor at the 10th annual Governors Awards on Nov. 18.
Old 09-28-18, 03:22 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.